Chapter Nine

The Institute

T h e   I n s t i t u t e

Chapter Nine

Leeteuk had been trying to shake off the bad feeling he’d had all day since waking up from his vision but it was lingering like a foul smell. The brief times he’d seen Hankyung, the Chinaman had been as quiet and unassuming as always. Somehow, now with the knowledge that he might kill one of them in the future, Leeteuk saw him in a different way. He saw darkness surrounding Hankyung, in his eyes and his aura. The seer had tried to reassure himself that he was just imagining it because of his vision but there was definitely something rotten brewing in Hankyung’s demeanour.

He and Kangin had agreed not to mention what he’d seen to anyone but, unfortunately, it meant his mind kept wandering off into a reverie for several long moments. Therefore, he was startled enough to jump out of his seat when Kangin then jolted him back to reality. They had been sat in the TV room – which hardly anyone ever went in since they had televisions of their own – with Leeteuk nestled into the cushiony sofa and Kangin, in wolf form, curled up at his feet. Now the lycanthrope was back to human and calling his name loudly to get his attention.

‘Sorry, I was totally out of it.’ Leeteuk murmured, gradually coming to his senses. Kangin chuckled.

‘Yeah I’ve been shouting you for a while now. Anyway, Heechul just texted you. He wants your opinion on some outfits for tonight.’ Leeteuk glanced down at his phone that had been dropped just in front of the sofa and picked it up to see for himself the text. He sighed.

‘Right well I better go deal with that then. You coming?’

‘Sure why not.’ Kangin assented and returned to a more canine likeness. Leeteuk raised his eyebrows at him and placed a hand on his hip.

‘I know you’re only doing that so that you don’t have to contribute.’ Kangin wagged his tail.

The pair of them left the TV room and traversed the corridors of the Institute to eventually reach Heechul’s room which they could hear loud music blasting out of. It died down slightly when Leeteuk knocked on the door and then Heechul himself appeared to let them in wearing nothing but a silk red dressing gown and a pair of fluffy pink socks. There were clothes strewn across the entirety of his double bed making a sort of second duvet of many colours. Kangin bounded over the shoes littering the floor and took up residence in a clear space on top of a pillow.

‘My first question is why did you ask me to help you instead of Sungmin or Ryeowook?’ Leeteuk began in a resigned tone as he sat down on Heechul’s vanity chair.

‘Oh, well, Minnie’s too busy sorting out his own outfit with Kyuhyun and I texted Ryeowook but he didn’t reply for ages and then he sent me a smiley face which usually means off, I’m having so of course my next target was you.’ The shifter replied in a flustered rush. He was throwing things out of his chest of drawers, clearly looking for something in particular but the mess was getting out of hand. In the motherly way he’d acquired since living with the other special agents, Leeteuk set about picking up the garments he could tell were on the reject pile and started putting them away.

‘So what’s the choice tonight?’ He asked, wrinkling his nose as he came across a used pair of knickers.

‘Oh my god, I don’t even know. It’s either the black dress or the other black dress or the black dress with the cut-outs… it’s too hard a decision! This is why I need you.’

‘You need me because I get you out of trouble which I really shouldn’t but never mind.’ Leeteuk sighed. ‘Why don’t you try them on and show us and we’ll tell you which looks best.’ He suggested. Heechul shrugged his shoulders and picked up the assortment of black outfits, taking them into the bathroom to change. After putting on the first dress, he returned with a pout. ‘What’s the matter? You look nice.’

‘I found a stain.’ He said dejectedly. Leeteuk rolled his eyes.

‘Washing basket.’ He said pointedly, gesturing to the extremely unused laundry basket at the end of the bed. Heechul tried on the second dress but this time reappeared with a sceptical expression. He strode over to his full-length mirror and eyed himself critically.

‘Does this make my thighs look fat?’ He enquired and Kangin growled.

‘For Shisus’ sake, nothing makes you look fat!’ Leeteuk cried in exasperation. Heechul stomped back into the bathroom. It turned out third time really was the charm because when he came out at last, he was smiling. ‘You look stunning. Is this mission accomplished?’

‘Yes.’ Heechul sing-songed, twirling around. Despite his lack of womanly curves that the dress called for, he certainly wore it well. It was black, of course, with a high-necked top that dipped down his back, showing off a dreamy expanse of skin. Around his midriff was mesh and then there were cascades of soft chiffon fabric swirling around his legs that stopped just above the ground but with an indecent split up the left side, revealing enough of Heechul to need a PG13 rating.

‘Are we free to go now?’ Leeteuk asked.

‘Yes, clear off, I need to do my hair and makeup and everything.’ Kangin bounded off the pillow and followed Leeteuk out of the room.

‘You know you’ve got about four hours left.’ The latter pointed out, looking at his watch.

‘Exactly!’ Heechul cried and shut the door on them.


Apparently, once the wardrobe ran out of space, Sungmin had begun storing his shoe collection under his bed amongst the assortment of weapons he kept there as well. Altogether, the image of extravagant, shiny black heels next to a coiled up whip was very ‘Sungmin’, Kyuhyun felt. He heard a deliberate cough and thus banged his head as he quickly got up from spying on the contents beneath the bed.

Kyuhyun abruptly forgot how to breathe when he scrambled to a standing position and caught sight of Sungmin in the bathroom doorway. His long ombre hair fell in perfect waves over one shoulder and curled around his flawlessly made-up face where a deep red colour enhanced the sinful curve of his lips. He was wearing a pure white dress like Marilyn Monroe which teased at Kyuhyun for its irony that it should be wore by a demonic creature though the amount of leg showing somewhat counterbalanced the innocent shade.

‘What do you think?’ Kyuhyun shook himself out of his stupor but couldn’t keep his eyes off what he saw before him. Of all things, he thought Sungmin looked like an angel.

‘Beautiful…’ He breathed, without much awareness. He didn’t care though. He wanted to stay in this dream-like state and gaze at Sungmin forever. Now he was smiling because of what Kyuhyun had said and suddenly the world brightened. It was somewhere in the middle of Sungmin smiling and walking towards him that Kyuhyun knew he’d go to the ends of the earth for that boy.

‘Will you help me zip up the back? I couldn’t quite reach.’ Sungmin turned and, oh, it was one thing to look at him but to touch… Kyuhyun gently took the zip and glided it the rest of the way up Sungmin’s back, letting his knuckles graze the skin. Then Sungmin turned back around and Kyuhyun could stare into those mesmerising smoky eyes once more.

‘Are you ready to go?’ He managed to get out.

‘Yeah just let me grab my bag.’ Sungmin went off to gather his things allowing Kyuhyun to steady his breathing. He opened the bedroom door and stepped out into the corridor which was thankfully a little cooler. Donghae and Kibum were out there waiting as well. They took in his expression.

‘You ok Kyu?’ Donghae asked cheerfully. Kibum remained silent by his side but the ever so slight quirk of his lips showed that he knew what was going on without any extrasensory perception.

‘Just, erm… S-Sungmin..’ Kyuhyun dazedly replied. He was having trouble focussing on one particular thing when all he could see was Sungmin’s face, all he could smell was Sungmin’s perfume and all he could hear was Sungmin’s voice. Wait, hang on. He really could hear Sungmin’s voice. ‘Sorry, what?’

‘I just asked you if you wanted to get going.’

‘Oh, right, yeah.’ They would have done just that and headed straight down to the Meeting Point as planned if Heechul had then not arrived.

‘Calm yourselves, I’m here now!’ The princess was catwalking down the hallway from his room with royal escorts Kangin and Leeteuk following behind. ‘Your night just got a whole lot better.’ He announced and Kyuhyun rolled his eyes while Donghae cheered.

‘Would you like to get a shift on, your highness? Everyone’s probably down there already.’ Kangin grumbled.

‘You guys go ahead. We’re just waiting for Eunhyuk then I think we’ll all be ready to go.’ Donghae piped up and so the rest of them complied. Kyuhyun stifled an ecstatic grin when Sungmin took a hold of his arm and asked to be escorted. Until recently, that had been Siwon’s job. (Which he had executed poorly) Kyuhyun was more than ready to show him how it was done.

Upon reaching the Meeting Point where everyone had gathered, Sungmin brought Kyuhyun’s attention around to Hankyung. From the perspective of someone who had just been through the experience, Kyuhyun could tell from Hankyung’s slack-jawed expression and entranced – almost hypnotised – gaze that the Chinaman had seen Heechul and fallen under a spell of adoration. But, of course, then along came Siwon with his crude comments and leering stare. Kyuhyun truly hoped that Heechul would come to his senses and ditch the sleaze before it was too late.

He wasn’t overly invested in other people’s lives – he got the gossip from Sungmin – but Kyuhyun could honestly admit he wanted Hankyung and Heechul to end up together; they just seemed to fit. However, if he didn’t have the balls to own up to his feelings about Sungmin then it was no business of his to wish Hankyung would get a move on and ask out Heechul. Kyuhyun had been called many things but a hypocrite wasn’t one of them and he didn’t plan on becoming one either.

‘What’s with the scarf Dongwoo? It’s not exactly cold outside.’ Kyuhyun heard Yesung say. He swung his vision around to the teleporter who, despite having just struck up a conversation with the regular agent, was currently being sickeningly lovey-dovey with Ryeowook. Sungmin had mentioned something about a smiley face text earlier… that would explain it. Dongwoo shrugged at Yesung who didn’t seem to be interested any more anyway.

The longer Kyuhyun grimaced at the couple, the more the notion of drew to the forefront of his mind and now Sungmin was back on the brain. Things had been oddly normal between them since that night although there was definitely some kind of electric tension sparking around that Kyuhyun hoped wasn’t his imagination. He had reasoned out late one night that they had already had a very close, practically intimate relationship beforehand and this made him giddy to the fact that seemed an extremely natural part of it.


When Eunhyuk, Donghae and Kibum showed up, the group set off with the chaperones Master Gong had assigned to them – Dongwoo, Woohyun and L – down to the garage where a couple of big, expensive cars were waiting to chauffeur them to the club. Shindong had called ahead so that Seungho, one of the managers, knew they were coming to give them the VIP treatment that the name of The Institute ensured. This club was Netherworldian and it paid to be a special agent in these circles.

The cars took the group around the colourfully lit streets of the city until they began to move into seedier territory. It wasn’t that Netherworldian bars and clubs were shady and unapproachable, they just had to be out of the way of the regular humans so that none of them strayed into one and found themselves surrounded by shady and unapproachable supernatural beings. The agents were heading to their regular joint where the bartenders knew their drink orders and the bodyguards let them in for free. It went by the name of Faust.

Hankyung had never ventured to such a bar before though he couldn’t say the same for ZhouMi who was notorious for going out all the time. He’d never found a strong interest in ‘clubbing’, mostly because, back in those days, he was still a teenager who couldn’t keep a lid on his flame wielding habits. The crowds, the inebriation and the pheromones flying about generally served as a deal breaker whenever ZhouMi asked if Hankyung wanted to join him.

However times change and Hankyung couldn’t quite believe it but he actually thought he might enjoy himself that night. It definitely didn’t have anything to do with Heechul. Or his perfect body… or his mystifying eyes. Or maybe Hankyung was just trying to ignore the fact that when Heechul had turned up at the Meeting Point earlier, it was the first time his blood within his veins had turned to fire without the use of his power. Hankyung could still feel the way his heart had pounded uncomfortably in his chest like it was trying to escape.

He’d had the chance to steady himself in the car but now they’d arrived outside Faust and Hankyung was reintroduced to the intoxicating sight of Heechul happily scurrying along the pavement with one arm in Sungmin’s and the other in Kangin’s. They all crossed over to the busy section of the street that was cordoned off by red rope, enclosing the line of partygoers into a more manageable formation. Luckily for the agents, they wouldn’t have to wait like corralled cattle. Shindong simply went around to the bouncer and flashed his Institute badge. The guy smiled at him and then at the others before opening a side door to the right of the main entrance. It was through there that the group headed, down into the depths of Faust.

‘Toilet, toilet, who’s coming?’ Heechul immediately cried as soon as he set one heeled foot onto the alcohol stained carpet of the club. Sungmin, Ryeowook and ZhouMi followed him off to the bathrooms leaving the others to head straight in the direction of the bar. Hankyung sent a longing look after Heechul and then spun around to get himself a drink. Pronto.

Of course, it wasn’t pronto, it was wait a lifetime in a queue and then several more decades while the bartender got you what you wanted. Hankyung had used the time to people-watch; perhaps monster-watch was a better term for it. A Netherworldian club meant Netherworldian clubbers. He spotted quite a few sirens in the middle of the dance floor that were causing quite the stir, a booth filled with adolescent witches and even a minotaur ducking out to the smokers’ courtyard.

‘I bet no one’s got me a drink.’ Looks like the bathroom buddies had returned.

‘You need to get yourself a Kyuhyun. They’re very useful for getting you drinks.’

‘Not everyone has a stalker, Minnie.’

‘Hey he doesn’t stalk me!’

‘Whatever.’ In a fit of what he told himself was some kind of chivalry, Hankyung quickly turned back to the bartender who was thankfully still getting him his change and asked him for what he’d overheard Kyuhyun order for Sungmin; it was a safe bet that they drank the same drink. As soon as it was handed over, Hankyung swooped in to present it to Heechul.

‘Here you are.’ He said with a crooked smile. Heechul gawped at him, allowing his already big eyes to widen even further.

‘For me?’ He asked in disbelief though already reaching up to tentatively take hold of the glass.

‘Thought you might want a drink.’ Hankyung shrugged, trying to keep his bold gesture low-key. Heechul was shocked enough to falter for a few moments but he quickly recomposed himself.

‘You haven’t spiked it, have you?’ He said teasingly, narrowing his eyes this time. His lips were slowly curving into a smile.

‘Maybe. Only one way to find out.’ Hankyung countered. He had given Heechul a test of trust, regardless of the minuteness of it, it signified something. So when Heechul raised an eyebrow at him and took the straw into his mouth, draining the glass of some of its liquid, Hankyung felt the air change around them.

The biggest surprise of all for Hankyung that night was when he suddenly found himself dancing. The thing was, Hankyung actually knew how to dance and, well, he was pretty good at it. He’d trained in ballet since he was twelve but as he got older, martial arts started to take precedence and, from that, a career in the Supernatural Secret Service – the S.S.S – was recommended. Now he was dancing again. In a club. If you could really call it dancing, it was mostly just swaying and grinding to the intense beat.

‘Oh my god that’s indecent!’ Leeteuk cried and Hankyung looked up. He wished he hadn’t. Heechul and Siwon were practically ing to the music. It wasn’t just that though and clearly, Leeteuk and Kangin agreed with Hankyung. Heechul probably wasn’t too aware since the multiple rounds of shots he and Sungmin had downed previously but Hankyung noticed the way Siwon’s hand dipped into secluded places despite the public setting. Additionally, every time anyone looked their way or showed an interest in Heechul’s flirtatious dancing, Siwon would get far too forcefully possessive.

‘For god’s sake! The guy’s brain is in his pants.’ Kangin growled.

‘You know what he’s like when he’s had a few.’ Leeteuk placated but he was still visibly unnerved.

Kangin bristled. ‘I’m going to break it up before it gets out of hand.’ He made to stomp over but Leeteuk stopped him.

‘Wait. Heechul will get in a sulk if you do.’ He said. Hankyung ground his teeth. If Kangin couldn’t stop what was happening, he sure as hell wasn’t going to sit back and watch.

‘I’m going.’ He muttered before doing just that even though Leeteuk tried to protest. He marched up to the couple and plastered a fake smile on his face. ‘Mind if I cut in?’ He asked but didn’t wait for a confirmation; he took Heechul’s hand and pulled him away. The shifter laughed but Siwon was furious.

‘Oi! We were having a good time.’

‘Yeah, well, Kangin wants a word with you.’ Hankyung retorted. It wasn’t exactly lying since Kangin probably had quite a few choice words for Siwon. The latter hesitated but eventually stormed off leaving Hankyung to breathe a sigh of relief and give Heechul a proper smile.

‘Oh my god, I love this song!’ Heechul abruptly cried and grabbed at Hankyung’s hands. Before he realised what was happening, they were dancing. The song had a heavy bass that Heechul swung his hips in time with and twirled around occasionally to in spite of being a bit unsteady on his feet. Gradually, they got closer and closer until Hankyung decided the best place for his hands was Heechul’s waist and the shifter flung his arms around Hankyung’s neck.


‘Sungmin, Sungmin! There’s a guy over there that’s totally checking you out.’ ZhouMi excitedly called over the din of the music. Kyuhyun tensed at his words.

‘What? Where?!’ Sungmin replied, surreptitiously flinging his eyes this way and that.

‘He’s at the edge of the dance floor. Dark hair, sleeve tattoos.’ Kyuhyun gulped down his drink and flicked his stare over to the person ZhouMi was talking about. Sure enough there was tall man stood at the side of the dance floor looking over the top of his beer bottle to brazenly cast his sultry gaze over Sungmin’s body.

‘Wow this usually happens to Heechul not me.’

‘I think Heechul’s preoccupied.’ Yesung interrupted, joining in the conversation as he returned from the bar with a drink for Ryeowook who probably didn’t need another one. Lightweight. Kyuhyun took a glance at what Yesung was talking about and was pleasantly surprised to see Heechul and Hankyung looking very cosy as they danced.

‘Oh my god, he’s coming over!’ ZhouMi squeaked.

‘What?! ! How do I look?’ Sungmin flung the question to Kyuhyun.

‘Awful.’ He deadpanned and received a smack on the arm. ZhouMi then pushed Sungmin forward slightly as the man approached so that, all too soon, the pair of them were openly eyeing each other up.

‘Would you like to dance?’ Shisus Christ the guy had an accent. Australian at that. Kyuhyun felt like banging his head against a brick wall.

‘Sure.’ Sungmin said. Now they were headed away from the group and Kyuhyun had to watch the Aussie put his hands all over his best friend. He clenched his jaw but then felt eyes on him and looked up to see Yesung fixing him with a wry smile.

‘If I didn’t know any better I’d say you were jealous.’ He crossed his arms and looked the picture of smugness at having caught Kyuhyun out in a vulnerable state. The demon was about to snap back some witty retort but he was interrupted by Ryeowook as he came wobbling over with wild, animated eyes.

‘I jus smelt Dongwoo an he totally smells like cinmon!’

‘What’s that babe?’ Yesung inquired.

‘Dongwoo!! He really smells like cinnanermon!’

‘I think he means cinnamon.’ Kyuhyun interjected. Just then Dongwoo happened to walk past and Ryeowook accosted him into coming over to be smelt. His expression seemed tired, almost bored which probably meant he’d had to put up with this for a while now.

‘Smell, smell, smell!!’

‘Yes, very nice.’ Yesung said without actually sniffing the poor boy; however he seemed to appease Ryeowook. Kyuhyun raised his eyebrows when he unintentionally got a whiff of Dongwoo and found that he actually did smell considerably of cinnamon. Must be his cologne. All of a sudden, Sungmin came bouncing back to them and Dongwoo made his escape.

‘Aaron’s gone to get me a drink.’ Sungmin squealed. ‘He’s a special agent in Queensland but he’s up here doing a job.’

‘What’s his power?’ ZhouMi asked enthusiastically. Kyuhyun couldn’t be less enthused.

‘Atmokinesis. Just like you Wookie!’ Ryeowook cheered and spun around happily until Yesung caught him to prevent disaster.

‘So his name’s Aaron.’ Kyuhyun stated lowly. Sungmin saw the dark expression that he couldn’t suppress although he found it hard to care.

‘What’s up?’ It was painful to see the genuine worry in Sungmin’s face but know that it only went so far.

‘Nothing.’ He muttered. Sungmin didn’t believe him but he didn’t get chance to question him anymore because at that point, Aaron reappeared.

‘Here you go, gorgeous.’ Nope. He couldn’t stay here any longer. Kyuhyun strode off to the table that Shindong and few of the others were sat at even though he knew Yesung was grinning self-righteously at him again. So what if he was jealous. He’d never do anything about it – he’d learned to put up with it for all of the Siwon chronicles so it wasn’t hard to just brush it aside now. But Kyuhyun knew that one of these days he was going to snap and woe betide anyone who got in the way. Perhaps he should give Aaron a heads up.


If the DJ was inclined to play a slow song, Hankyung could guess that he’d have no trouble getting Heechul’s head to rest on his shoulder while they pressed close to each other and swayed. But this was a club not a prom. Anyway, he wasn’t complaining about having Heechul grind his up against his crotch. His mind was wandering. Perhaps it was the alcohol. Focus on the dancing, Hankyung, now’s not the time to get distracted.

Unfortunately everything was getting blurry. Hankyung could still feel Heechul’s body rippling against his own in a harmonious rhythm and he could still hear the throbbing beat of the music… but it was like he was underwater. The bass line pounded through his head and chest, sending reverberations in a spasm throughout the rest of this body. The people around them faded into one messy haze. Only the incessant flickering of the lights were clear as day and they shone with the force of knives through Hankyung’s vision until it all became too much.

‘Hey! What are you doing? Hankyung! What’s wrong?’ He’d pushed Heechul away and stumbled.

‘Hankyung? You alright buddy?’ Somewhere, distantly, Hankyung recognised Kangin’s voice. Distant. Yes. It was all fading away. In the one corner of his brain that was still awake, he told himself he was about to faint; dark spots even started to cloud his vision.

‘Hankyung! Hannie!!’ Suddenly, Hankyung leapt to consciousness and charged. He grabbed Heechul, pulled him against his chest as an instinctual force shot out of his body and a surge of flame burst around them, knocking the people closest onto the ground.

‘Hankyung!!’ People were screaming and running away. The bouncers were closing in on him but he didn’t let go of Heechul. He couldn’t breathe or think or move. He didn’t even know why he’d done it, why it had happened. All he knew was that one minute all his senses were being pummelled from every direction and suddenly he was acting on instinct to protect himself… and Heechul. Protect himself from what though? That was the mystery.

‘Hankyung? Say something! What happened?!’ Heechul was pleading at him and pressing against his chest to be freed. Hankyung let him go. He breathed heavily.

‘What’s going on over here?’ One of the bouncers had reached them. He tried to take a hold of Hankyung’s arm to steady him presumably but the action just served to relinquish a deeply suppressed memory to the forefront of Hankyung’s mind. He could feel his legs starting to give way and it was all he could do to take a hold of Heechul’s hand and keep himself grounded.

‘I think someone’s had a few too many.’ Another bouncer joked. Heechul looked livid.

‘This isn’t funny! Can’t you see he’s ill?!’ The shifter took complete hold of Hankyung, pulling him as upright as he could manage. The crisis seemed to have sobered him in some way so that he was of sound mind to, with assistance from Kangin, drag Hankyung off to the toilets.

‘What the hell?!!’ Shindong came charging in after them with Kyuhyun and Donghae. The latter of which experimentally splashed Hankyung’s face with water but it didn’t take much effect. Hankyung was nearly delirious; his memories had sent him on a feverish trip into the past. He could hear factory noises grating into his eardrums and jeering spectators in a circle all around him. He felt the rush of fire and then sprang back to awareness when Heechul screamed as the wooden toilet cubicle went up in flame. Donghae quickly put it out.

‘We have to get him out of here.’ Kangin commanded to which Hankyung scrunched his face at. He was conscience again, he was fine. The last thing he needed was to cause a scene. People would start asking questions.

‘I’m fine now.’ He said firmly, straightening up to prove that his legs were no longer turned to jelly.

‘Hankyung…’ Heechul murmured softly, his expression was confused. ‘Y-you… your eyes.’ Hankyung frowned. He twisted around and looked in the mirror. His frown deepened when he caught sight of his reflection. It seemed his blood was not the only thing lit up in flame for the fire within him had begun to blaze across his eyes in a deep, blood orange colour.  

‘What’s wrong? Why’d you lash out that for no reason?’ Kangin challenged. He looked wary of Hankyung and with every reason to be. Hankyung knew now wasn’t the time to start lying and work his way into a hole too deep to climb back out of. He settled for part of the truth.

‘The atmosphere… it reminded me of something I did a long time ago. I must have suppressed the memory but my instincts kicked in.’ He explained. It seemed to satisfy them.

‘You scared me.’ Heechul admitted in a small voice. He tried to brush it off with an anxious laugh as if it was no big deal but Hankyung had seen the horror in his face.

‘I’m sorry. I’m usually good at keeping a lid on things. This is why I don’t go to clubs.’ He tried for a grin though Heechul still seemed wary.

‘Maybe we should get you back to the Institute.’ Shindong suggested.

‘Hey, I don’t want to spoil the fun.’ Hankyung protested at noticing Donghae and Heechul’s pouts. ‘Just no more dancing.’ He sniggered. Shindong and Kangin shrugged at each other; if Hankyung said he was fine then he was fine – he was an adult, he could take care of himself. They all left the club toilets and headed back out to re-join the others where Leeteuk immediately descended on them in a flap.

‘What happened? Is he ok? The bouncers wanted to kick him out but ZhouMi persuaded them otherwise. Do we need to go back to the Institute?’

‘Calm your , Teukie, he’s fine.’ Heechul snapped.

‘Honestly.’ Hankyung added with a firm expression. Leeteuk could do nothing but take a step back in resignation until Kangin led him off to the bar. Shindong and Donghae disappeared to go find Eunhyuk who was probably working his way into a drunken stupor by now and nobody wanted to deal with him once he got into a mood. Hankyung turned to Heechul and sighed. ‘I guess you’ll be going back to Siwon now.’

‘Actually,’ Heechul was looking elsewhere with a conniving glint in his eyes. ‘I have a better idea.’ Hankyung followed him in the direction of some tables where Kibum, Yesung and Kyuhyun were sat.

‘Oh hey! What happened before?’ Yesung asked as soon as they reached them.

‘Nothing, I’m fine now.’ Hankyung quickly responded. He kept an eye on Heechul who was now marching straight up to Kyuhyun’s seat and placing a hand either side of it until they were staring at each other head on.

‘I know you say you’re ‘not interested in long term attachments’,’ Air quotes were used for emphasis and Kyuhyun scowled. ‘But if you don’t at least talk to a girl by the end of the night, I’ll make sure Sungmin brings that guy home with us ‘cause I know that’s why you’re all tense like you’ve got a stick up your arse, Mr Protective.’

Kyuhyun kept the level gaze. ‘You wouldn’t dare.’

‘You know I would.’ Heechul smirked. He settled himself into the chair beside the demon and Hankyung followed suit. He couldn’t quite believe how badly Heechul had gotten the wrong end of the stick. Not the one up Kyuhyun’s rear end – the one that knew he was jealous enough to turn himself green. Hankyung hadn’t even been paying that close attention to what went on between Kyuhyun and Sungmin but even he could tell that the younger boy was pining.

‘I’m sorry but I don’t think engaging in meaningless social interaction with the opposite is going to stop me from worrying about Sungmin. He’s not had enough time to get over what Siwon did to him so any… attachments he makes are just going to be trouble.’ Kyuhyun was playing along, Hankyung could tell. He didn’t want anyone to know how deeply his feelings ran for Sungmin. If they even went particularly deep, Hankyung still wasn’t entirely sure about Kyuhyun’s intentions only that there was definitely attraction involved.

‘Look.’ Heechul said sternly. ‘Why don’t you just un-clench and let Sungmin do whatever the hell he wants to do. There’s a girl in the booth over there that’s been keeping an eye on you since I sat down, possibly longer than that. If you don’t go buy her a drink then I have no choice but to tell everyone that you’re aual.’

‘I’d listen to him, Kyu. You know he likes to follow through on threats.’ Yesung’s voice was slurring slightly to the amusement of Kibum beside him. Kyuhyun and Heechul stared each other down for another while until the demon growled.

‘For god’s sake! Fine. I’ll go.’ He angrily took off from the table and strode over to the girl who’d been checking him out. Hankyung doubted he’d get very far with her when she realised how un-interested he was.

‘People should hire me as a life coach.’ Heechul announced with a satisfied smile. Yesung burst out laughing, his drink sloshing over Kibum’s legs. Heechul didn’t get a chance to smack him as he was clearly about to do so because at that point a strange figure approached their table. This time it was Hankyung’s turn to tense up.

‘Would you like to dance?’ He was tall, taller than Hankyung, and had a shock of dyed blond hair. He had even extended his hand out in a gentlemanly gesture towards Heechul who genuinely looked quite shocked. Hankyung was just about to ask Kibum if he wanted to go to the bar when Heechul replied.

‘Actually, my boyfriend’s just getting me a drink.’ Hankyung blinked. Once, twice. Had he heard that right?

‘Oh, fair enough then.’ The stranger retreated and Heechul turned back around.

‘What just happened?’ Yesung asked. He looked as bewildered as Hankyung felt. Heechul shrugged.

‘He wasn’t my type.’

‘But… you never turn anyone down.’ Yesung persisted.

‘Unless they’re ugly.’ Kibum put in.

‘Right, unless they’re ugly. But that guy wasn’t exactly unattractive.’

‘Oh so you were checking him out, were you? Shall I tell Ryeowook?’ Heechul countered. Yesung stuck his middle finger up at him. A thought occurred to Hankyung that maybe Heechul didn’t want to dance with the guy because of Siwon but he’d rather not think about that.


‘Oh hey Kangin! What happened before? Is Hankyung alright?’ Sungmin asked as soon as he spotted the lycanthrope heading towards him. ‘This is Aaron, by the way.’ He giggled.

‘Err hi.’ Kangin muttered in way of a greeting. He took a hold of Sungmin’s arms to keep him steady when the latter swayed before Aaron even noticed that his dancing partner was about to fall over. ‘Hankyung’s fine. He just got a bit claustrophobic I think. Have you seen Leeteuk anywhere?’

‘No, sorry.’ Sungmin replied, sipping on his drink in what he hoped was a cute way. Aaron said he liked his cuteness.

‘Dammit.’ Kangin grumbled. ‘I was at the bar with him and Henry wanted to get a picture of us but he got all uptight about it and then disappeared!’

‘Ooh! That reminds me!’ Sungmin bounced around until Kangin grabbed him to keep him stable again. ‘I gave my phone to Kyuhyun. Have you seen him?’

‘Yeah, actually. He’s over there with some girl.’ Kangin pointed out and then decided not to stick around leaving Sungmin to whip his head to the other side of the dance floor and catch sight of Kyuhyun with some bleach blonde chick. She looked like the kind of girl whose boyfriend was in a rock band, from the ridiculous bandana right down to the studded boots.

‘What the hell…’ Sungmin muttered under his breath.

‘What’s up?’ Aaron asked and the demon flicked his attention back to his new Australian friend.

‘Err nothing. Let’s go dance!’ What better way to scope out this girl than by dancing over nonchalantly. Hopefully, Sungmin could still pull off nonchalant while he was drunk. Only one way to find out. He grabbed Aaron by the hand and led him through the crowds to a spot near Kyuhyun where they began to dance provocatively.

‘I really like your hair by the way!’ Aaron was trying to say over the music, his Australian accent tantalising Sungmin’s ears.

‘Thanks!’ He grinned at the taller boy and then, when he knew that Kyuhyun had seen them, laughed happily as he pulled Aaron closer. The song changed. This time something a lot more hip-hop. Sungmin was in his element and he hoped that Kyuhyun’s girl could keep up the pace because he was about to -drop like he’d been born doing it. Why was she even dancing with Kyuhyun? Clearly Sungmin would have to show her that if you wanted to win Kyuhyun’s approval then you’d have to step up your game.

Aaron didn’t seem to mind at all when Sungmin span around and used him, essentially, as a prop to grind and glide against. The blonde girl was trying to keep Kyuhyun’s attention by shaking her hips this way and that. Not dirty enough. Kyuhyun was a demon with a dark mind and Sungmin knew exactly how to keep his eyes fixed on him rather than her. He didn’t know why he felt satisfied at keeping Kyuhyun’s gaze directed on himself but Sungmin had felt his blood boil at seeing that girl all over him. He must be just as protective of his best friend as Kyuhyun was of him.

The girl spied Sungmin and apparently knew she was in a competition because she smiled arrogantly and started to move more in synchrony with the music, using the assets that Sungmin didn’t have to press up close to Kyuhyun. Stupid s. It’s a good job Aaron wasn’t bothered by a flat chest. However, there was one thing this hadn’t accounted for – Sungmin’s legendary .

‘Are you ok?!’ Aaron suddenly asked. Sungmin stopped moving.

‘Yeah, why wouldn’t I be? I’m great!’

‘Are you sure? You look really angry.’ Sungmin glanced over at Kyuhyun one last time and saw that he’d stopped dancing as well. ‘Am I in the way of something?’ . Aaron had noticed.

‘No, it’s not like that. I just-’

‘Look, its fine. I get it. When my girlfriend broke up with me, I was jealous of everyone she was with.’ Sungmin couldn’t think of an answer to that, his brain was faltering. Aaron gave him a sad smile and leant down to press a kiss to his cheek. Then, just as he was vanishing into the darkness of the club, Sungmin processed what he’d said.

‘Wait I’m not jealous…’ It fell on deaf ears. Aaron was already gone and Sungmin could do nothing else than regrettably leave the dance floor.


Kyuhyun watched the exchange between Sungmin and Aaron with enraptured attention, enough to make the girl he was with get annoyed. She was trying to win back his focus by dancing shamelessly and grabbing at his clothes to keep him close. All in all it was quite frustrating. He pushed away her clawing hands and took a step back but it seemed she didn’t want to get the message that easily. In the end he looked straight at her, his eyes flashing red as a warning.

‘This was very nice but I have to go.’ He said and made to go after Sungmin. She clutched his arm and pulled him back.

‘I s’pose that was your girlfriend then wasn’t it? She was just trying to make you jealous, you’re better off without her.’ Kyuhyun swallowed the urge to liquefy the idiot.

‘I’m capable of making decisions on my own thank you Lia.’

‘Hey, it’s Jia!’

‘Whatever.’ He didn’t waste time looking back to see her outraged expression. Kyuhyun took off darting through the crowd, looking this way and that for a sign of Sungmin. With a sigh of relief, he eventually saw him with Heechul, Hankyung and some of the others near the toilets and so he headed over quickly.

‘Ooh there you are! Kangin thinks it’s about time we went home.’ Heechul exclaimed when he saw Kyuhyun. The latter mostly ignored him and concentrated on Sungmin’s woeful face that was studiously avoiding looking at him. He continued to keep his eye on the other demon as the rest of the group caught up with them and they all got ready to leave. Last to arrive was Yesung who came panting towards them all looking frantic.

‘I can’t find Ryeowook anywhere! Have any of you seen him?!’ He cried.

‘Actually, I think I saw him leave with Dongwoo.’ Henry piped up.

‘Dongwoo probably thought he needed to go home early. You know Wookie can’t handle his drink.’ Shindong added and Yesung shrugged.

‘I guess so. He hasn’t answered any of my texts though and I’ve tried ringing a few times.’

‘He’s probably passed out, mate.’ Siwon assured and patted Yesung’s shoulder as he began to move off with the others. Yesung didn’t look so convinced but it was either follow them or spend the night in Faust.

The cars that came to pick them up sped smoothly through the city, the rainbow of lights passing by in a blur of colour. Kyuhyun kept his gaze fixed on Sungmin who had curled up next to Heechul in the back of the vehicle, holding on like a child would its mother but refusing to say anything to anyone. Leeteuk was sat in the passenger seat, glancing back every so often to check if he was alright but it wasn’t until they finally pulled into the Institute’s grounds that a noise was made by any of them.


 

 

 

 

 

wow

I finished chapter eight AND nine

and i'm very sorry it took so long - originally this was all chapter eight and then I realised it was toooooo long so I decided two chapters and a double update was required

I hope none of you gave up on me :P

hopefully the next chapter won't be as lengthy or take as long to write

as I've said before, I really really appreciate all the love I've got for this fic already, it's keeps me motivated when I've got writers block so please keep commenting and subscribing :)

~JC