Chapter Sixteen

The Institute

T h e   I n s t i t u t e

Chapter Sixteen

It had been four days since the battle at Seonnyeo Beach. Everyone was getting increasingly restless with the ominous presence of the Dark Elves back on Earth and with no current knowledge of their whereabouts or what they were planning. Master Gong was running ragged trying to organise the patrols of regular agents spread out across the Netherworldian borders so that any disturbances would be quickly notified. So far, it had been disconcertingly quiet but they were not foolish enough to rest easy in the meantime. Master Lee’s mandatory training schedules were gruelling and as for the meetings with Master Chen, the special agents had never seen their fearless leader so perturbed.

Two days ago, Ryeowook had gone with a team to the site of his incarceration which he’d been able to locate after Yunho had dragged him out to the beach. It was a crumbling warehouse in the middle of nowhere – the perfect temporary hideout for any dark creature. They’d been expecting to unearth something horrible and what they found proved to be even worse. The dead bodies of Agent Dongwoo, the long lost Jungmo and two security guards from the Adamantium Vaults were transported back to the Institute, their discovery casting a morbid shadow over everyone.

Of course, Jay’s body had been taken back when they left the beach – once they’d managed to prise Heechul, kicking and screaming, away from him. The journey to the Institute that night had been painfully silent. After all the yelling and arguing, they were forced to sit with the sobering thought that it could have been any one of them instead of Jay; they were lucky to be alive.

Ryeowook had told them, the day after, everything that had happened to him after he’d been kidnapped, especially his encounters with Jay. Afterwards they had all tried to figure what exactly had been going on with him, why he’d lost his memories, why he’d said that he couldn’t return to the Institute. Predictably, they came up with nothing. Well, apart from Donghae, who kept insisting Jay must have had ‘aneesha’ until Kibum realised what he meant, told him it was called amnesia and that it couldn’t have been since he remembered everything after Ryeowook told him about it.

Aside from the constant, agitated busyness caused by the strategy meetings, the hours upon hours of training and the grief lingering in the air, several other things had changed suddenly without much of an explanation why. The most noticeable was the way that, despite the full moon being over, everyone was still irritable and bad-tempered with each other. Eunhyuk’s dependence on a punching bag wasn’t entirely out of the ordinary but for some reason Kangin and Leeteuk were weirdly tense around each other and Kibum had become even more of a recluse. Strangest of all was Hankyung’s furious dedication to his time in his training chamber. He’d only come out for food or a rare sleeping break. Anyone who spoke to him in between got one-word answers and a glare.

Then there was Heechul.

Heechul hadn’t come out of his room in four days. Kangin was only person allowed to enter though he’d only done so a handful of times when he insisted that the shifter had to eat something. Master Chen had apparently turned a blind eye to the fact that one of his best agents wasn’t turning up to his schedules. Nobody liked to talk about why Heechul had shut himself away though they all knew. The worst times were at night, especially for Ryeowook, Kangin and Leeteuk whose rooms were the closest. If they thought his nightmares had been bad before… they were pleasant dreams in comparison to what it sounded like now. More than once, Kangin had had to call off the night guards who’d thought someone was being murdered.

On the fifth day, the Institute were conducting a funeral for their fallen soldiers at the top of the waterfall that ran down into the ravine below the headquarters. Schedules and meetings had been postponed until that afternoon, almost the entirety of the organisation were expected to attend and pay their respects. This was why the special agents were gathered solemnly in the foyer of the sleeping quarters, waiting patiently and silently for the last of their group to join them.

Kangin had left them and gone steadily down the hallway to Heechul’s room. He’d already told his friend what was happening today and that if he didn’t want to attend then no one was going to force him to, but if he did… well, Kangin would come and fetch him at eleven o’clock. He blew out a huff of air and shook out his fingers before reaching up his hand to knock three times on the wood before him. The corridor was eerily quiet as he waited, anxiously, to see what would happen. He waited for almost a full sixty seconds and was just about to give up and leave when, ever so cautiously, the door opened.

Heechul faced him with not a trace of misery in any fraction of his appearance. Kangin had already seen the red, swollen eyes, the gaunt cheeks, the general coating of depression that had hung over the shifter. Now all of that was gone. Heechul were made up and impeccably dressed as he always was, a fashionably seductive black dress making him look more like he was ready to go out to a high-end bar than attend a funeral. Kangin would never understand how all the clothes and the make-up and the exaggerated persona helped Heechul. But it did help and that was good enough.

‘Are you ready?’ He asked and, like a gentleman, held out his arm. Heechul took it and gripped it tight enough that Kangin knew he was there for physical as well as moral support.

‘No but let’s go.’ The shifter replied. They walked back along the corridor and when they reached the group, Kangin glared at the ones who dared to try and gasp. Leeteuk came forwards, looking horrified yet concerned.

‘Oh, Heechul,’ He murmured. ‘You’ve gotten too thin.’ He tried reaching out a hand in a comforting way but Heechul immediately recoiled. He angled himself nearer to Kangin and kept his eyes fixed on the ground with a frown creasing his forehead.

‘We should probably get going.’ Siwon called softly. They all followed his advice and then followed him out of the sleeping quarters, through the Institute and up through the main lobby to the entrance hall. They managed to join the end of a procession of regular agents all going in the same direction; the waterfall was in sight.

At the top of the cliff, overlooking the tumbling stream of white water crashing down into the valley below, there was an old bridge going over the river. It had always been there as far as everyone knew and had beautifully carved stone in remembrance of something that must have happened long ago. The Institute had continuously used it as the perfect place to send off their lost comrades into the next life. When the special agents approached, Master Chen invited them all to stand up there with him and overlook the proceedings. He gave Heechul what seemed almost like a fatherly smile and wordlessly made sure that he stood right in the middle.

‘I can scarcely believe that only five days after the return of our most hated foes, we are saying goodbye to three brave young men.’ He began. The rest of the agents, the masters and all the other people that kept the Institute running like a well-oiled machine were at the sides of the riverbank, looking across together and listening to their leader’s words over the sound of the thundering water.

‘Agent Dongwoo was a dedicated individual and a wonderful friend to many of you. The circumstances of his departure from The Institute and his involvement with the Dark Elf Yunho are unclear. We do not know how or why he went missing. We do not know if it was a conscious decision on his part to ally with such a vile creature. All we can do is trust the man we knew – the kind-hearted soul that saw challenges out till their end, made us smile even when it was difficult and never let his teammates down. Farewell Jang Dongwoo.’

Everyone watched as a wooden boat was sent floating underneath the bridge to the other side, closer to the edge of the waterfall. Kibum was holding it in place so that it wouldn’t sail away before it was time. Dongwoo lay inside of it on a bed of dark flowers from the Netherworld. His face, cold and white from death, stood out harshly from its surroundings but it was peaceful. Master Chen cleared his throat and addressed them all once again.

‘Seven months ago, Special Agents Jay and Jungmo left us suddenly in the night. They didn’t tell anyone where they were going or why. For some of us, it left an irreversible hole in our lives. To this day, none of us are any wiser as to what did make them leave and it saddens me to think that perhaps we may never know. I would like to hope that wherever they went and whatever they found themselves doing, they still remained the courageous, strong-willed and compassionate people that we once knew. Jay’s actions at Seonnyeo Beach… appearing from out of nowhere and diving in to try and save his old friends… will be remembered always. He was heroic when he lived and that is how he shall leave us for the very last time.’

Two more boats drifted to join the other in front of the bridge. Kibum held them all steady until Master Chen gave the signal. He let them go and they continued with the current to the very tip of the rushing water. But, before they could drop straight down, Kibum kept them afloat, sending them out into the air as if the river had kept on going. When they were ten feet out, the low resonance of trumpets filled the air in a sorrowful yet grand manner. Master Chen saluted and the congregation did the same. As the brass refrain came to its end, there was a minute of total silence.

Kangin chanced a look down to his left. Heechul’s eyes overflowed with tears but he kept his chin up and his face forwards. It looked like he was struggling exceptionally hard not to cry out and sob and scream at the unfairness of it all. His bottom lip quivered uncontrollably and the clutch of his hand on Kangin’s arm was becoming painful. Kangin decided it was time he dropped that connection and wrapped his arm around Heechul’s waist, pulling him tightly against his side. He sniffed and looked back out at the boats.

When the silence was over, Master Chen gave another nod, this time in Hankyung’s direction. The Chinaman stepped closer to the bridge wall and held up his hands. Great gushes of flame surged out of his palms and blazed down over the surface of the water. The blaze wafted up around the boats and danced, swirling into golden shapes then rushing upwards to become a dragon. The fiery beast spread its wings and embers flew about into the air, making a starry shower of flecks of light fall around the boats. Then it swooped down and the vessels ignited. They stayed there, burning in mid-air until Kibum let them gently drop down into the waterfall.


The wake was agonisingly boring. Kangin nearly fell asleep. Much to his chagrin, Sungmin threw a balled up napkin at his face and stopped him from dozing off. The demon then widened his eyes and pointedly tilted his head to the left of Kangin who turned and noticed that Heechul was staring off into the distance like he was in some sort of trance. Kangin gently placed a hand on his shoulder but there was no response so he resorted to shaking Heechul.

‘Stop.’ Heechul muttered, idly batting away Kangin’s hand.

‘Are you alright? Do you want to go back to bed?’ There was a pause. Then Heechul finally looked at him and nodded. They got up from the sofa and started to leave the café, weaving in and out of the people gathered around. It was as they were approaching the exit that one of the lab geeks came rushing over and stopped them in their tracks.

‘Master Hwang wants to speak to you, if that’s alright.’ He said, almost nervously.

‘Is it urgent, Onew?’ Kangin replied with thinly veiled annoyance.

‘Kind of.’ Onew rubbed the back of his neck. ‘Well… yeah. It’s urgent.’

‘Where is he?’ Heechul asked, surprising Kangin who’d thought there would have been no way he’d agree to do anything today other than stay in bed.

‘He’s in his office.’ Onew beckoned them to follow him and so they did. Kangin kept casting furtive, bewildered glances at Heechul to check that he really was ok but apparently everything seemed to be fine even though he seemed worriedly apathetic. Master Hwang’s office was down by his lab amongst the rest of the science department. He’d previously been a professor of physics before he’d been persuaded to join the Institute and now he was in charge of everything magically scientific that needed to be dealt with. When they arrived, Onew knocked on the door and then opened it once they heard a muffled ‘come in’.

‘Ah there you are, actually I’d like you to come through to the lab.’ Master Hwang said as he saw them and got up from his desk. He ushered them straight back through the door and along the wide hallway until they reached a particular workroom where he went straight across to the computer and began loading it up, flicking through a messy stack of clipboards while he waited.

‘Do you still need me sir?’ Onew inquired, hovering at the door.

‘No, no.’ Master Hwang waved him away, not looking up from a piece of paper he was now reading intently. ‘You can go. But tell Krystal it’s been an hour since I asked for a cup of coffee.’ Onew nodded and hurriedly left the room, tripping as he went. Kangin and Heechul waited patiently for the professor to say something else, preferably a reason why they were there, however he was still engrossed in reading files and papers as well as opening programmes on the computer. Eventually, Kangin cleared his throat.

‘Master Hwang um-’

‘Yes, sorry, just a moment.’ The man kept on plundering through his research and hitched up his glasses on his nose. A minute later, a girl came rushing into the room with a mug and a panicked expression.

‘I’m so sorry, sir!’ She cried as she set down the coffee by the computer.

‘Yes, yes, fine.’ He waved her away just as he had done Onew and she sped back the way she had come from. Master Hwang put down the papers he was holding and took a long sip of coffee, closing his eyes in satisfaction. As he swallowed and put down the mug, he visibly relaxed and finally turned around to properly address the two special agents he’d briefly ignored. ‘I’m afraid I brought you down here for something less than pleasant and I know it’s not exactly the best day for it… but it’s urgent.’

‘What is it?’ Kangin asked, surreptitiously moving closer to Heechul when he sensed the other go tense.

‘It’s something we found when we did the port mortem on the agents and honestly, it’s confusing everyone here.’ Master Hwang began, scratching his temple and pushing his glasses up again. ‘You see, our pathologist – Dr Kwon – was trying to determine the cause of death on poor Jungmo and came up with some odd results. So the team did the same for the others and we got very similar feedback that raised a lot of questions, especially where Jay is concerned.’

‘What is it?’ Heechul quickly interrupted, his voice was hoarse and quiet.

‘Obviously, we double checked our work for as many times possible before today. The results are still being looked over in great detail-’

‘Just tell me.’ The shake in Heechul’s voice made Kangin warily keep an eye on him as Master Hwang continued speaking.

‘Well, it sounds utterly farfetched but… he’s been dead for over six months. So has Jungmo.’ The professor revealed, in a tone that showed he could hardly believe what he was saying. ‘Dongwoo’s results suggest that he’s been dead for longer than he’s been missing which just can’t be right.’ He went on. ‘It just can’t be…’ He trailed off and started zoning out, muttering under his breath. Kangin could see the wheels turning in his head.

‘This is impossible. I d- Heechul!’ The shifter swayed violently and Kangin threw out his arms to catch him as he toppled over. ‘! Heechul!’

‘Oh my word! I’ll fetch the nurse.’ Master Hwang bustled off into the corridor and shouted out for assistance. Kangin held onto Heechul tightly as the other drifted in and out of consciousness; he must have fainted.

‘Stay with me, stay with me.’ Kangin repeated anxiously. Heechul’s eyes closed.


‘Why is it that they always bring out the crap food when it’s an occasion?’ Ryeowook mused, prodding his piece of dry cake around the plate it was on as he reached the small group of people stood by the windows. Nobody gave him a reply but Yesung managed to smile sympathetically at him.

‘Where’s he off to?’ Siwon abruptly questioned. Ryeowook, Yesung and Leeteuk followed his line of sight to the other side of the café where Hankyung was quickly making his getaway.

‘Perhaps he’s gone to look for Heechul.’ Leeteuk replied in an almost hopeful tone of voice.

‘Where is Heechul anyway? I need to give him something.’ Ryeowook interrupted, finally giving up on the cake and placing it down on a nearby table.

‘I saw him and Kangin go off with one of the lab nerds.’ Yesung said with a shrug.

‘Don’t call them that.’ Leeteuk half-heartedly chastised. ‘I wonder what it was about. Hopefully, nothing serious; that’s the last thing we need right now.’

‘You know what, I wouldn’t be surprised. Everything seems to be going to recently.’ Ryeowook gave Yesung a sharp poke for being so negative but all he got was a playful smack in return. Leeteuk let out a long sigh.

‘Hankyung’s probably gone down to his chamber.’ He mused.

‘Quelle surprise.’ Yesung muttered sarcastically.

‘He’s been doing that an awful lot recently.’ Siwon added though there was no point to it, everyone had noticed Hankyung’s strange behaviour and if they hadn’t seen it for themselves, they’d heard about it from one of the others. ‘Something tells me it’s not just dedication.’

‘Go see what he’s up to.’ Ryeowook promptly commanded to Yesung, purely out of a nosey intrigue. Yesung put down the mug of tea he’d been holding and vanished nanoseconds later. The three left behind coughed and wafted the black smoke out of their faces.

‘On another note, have you seen those two?’ Leeteuk pointed out, nodding his head in the direction of one of the sofas. Sungmin sat on one end looking out across the room, Kyuhyun sat on the other looking out of the window. Ryeowook stifled a laugh.

‘God they’re both drama queens.’ He exclaimed.

‘More like pathetic.’ Leeteuk said, shaking his head. ‘They need their heads banging together.’

‘And then locking in a room.’

‘With the lights off.’

‘An-’

‘Can we not?!’ Siwon quickly interjected. Ryeowook and Leeteuk sniggered.

‘What do you care? Sungmin’s not your problem anymore, remember.’ Ryeowook teased, giving Siwon a taunting couple of prods in the ribs. Siwon just rolled his eyes.

‘I honestly don’t know what happened to them.’ He admitted. ‘I would have thought, as soon as I was out of the picture, Kyuhyun would have jumped at the chance but I guess not.’

‘Don’t ask me. Last thing I remember, they were pretending not to be jealous of each other in Faust.’ Ryeowook replied.

‘All I know is, after that night, they stopped speaking to each other and then Sungmin wouldn’t speak to anyone.’ Leeteuk said. ‘Although I’d wager Heechul knows everything.’ He added as an afterthought. He sighed for a second time.

‘They were having a right go at each other in the helicopter.’ Siwon mentioned. ‘I wasn’t really paying attention but it definitely sounded like something big happened between them that made them fall out.’ The three lapsed into a silence as they mulled over the information, returning their gazes over to Sungmin and Kyuhyun on the sofa where they were still refusing to acknowledge one another.

‘It’s so weird. They’ve been best friends for as long as I’ve known them. This is the first time they’re not inseparable.’ Ryeowook stated, pouting slightly.

‘Well that just means it’s even more important that they fix things. They can’t let their friendship go down the toilet over a silly fight.’ Leeteuk replied. All of a sudden, Yesung snapped back into the room and they all jumped.

‘Shisus…’ Siwon grumbled under his breath, clutching his undoubtedly racing heart at the unexpected shock. Yesung smirked unapologetically.

‘So what’s Hankyung up to?’ Ryeowook asked once he’d regained a steady pulse.

‘I think you’re all going to want to see this.’ Yesung replied.

‘Why? What is it?’ Leeteuk questioned, automatically worried.

‘Just… come and see.’ The four of them left the café, stopping only to pass out short goodbyes to some of the others. The hallway that led off from it was one of the more grand pieces of architecture within the Institute with a tremendously high ceiling and Roman pillars standing sentinel along it. It was the intermediary between the larger, communal areas of the building such as the café, briefing rooms and common room for the regular agents. However, as they left it and got nearer to the chambers, the décor noticeably became less and less grand and a lot more like a secret underground base for an organisation dealing with the supernatural.

Even if they hadn’t already known which chamber Hankyung had acquired, they would have been able to make a very educated guess as to which one it was just by being down in that section of the Institute. The heat emanating from the end of the hallway was palpable and the sounds of rushing flames could be heard from not too far a distance. It was silently agreed to start hurrying down the corridor and so the four of them pounded along it with unnerved expressions.

The doors to the chambers were reinforced but with a small grated window at the top. Siwon looked through the metal and instantly recoiled in shock, making Leeteuk and Ryeowook scramble forwards and lifts themselves onto their toes to get a good look at whatever Hankyung was doing. The sight was… incredible, unbelievable, phenomenal and yet so horribly frightening. The pyrotechnic was crouched in the centre of the floor, his body completely engulfed in a crimson blaze, veins of fire unfurled from him and all across the room, up at the walls and swirling into the air to form a terrifying tornado of flame. Hankyung stayed in the eye of the storm with his back to the door but with his back heaving up and down and sweat pouring off his skin.

‘What’s he doing?’ Ryeowook cried.

‘God knows.’ Yesung muttered, anxiously messing with his hair.

‘Do we try and stop him?’ Leeteuk questioned, looking entirely confused with the situation. Hankyung wasn’t harming anyone but nothing about the scene in the chamber looked safe and or sane. The group exchanged equally puzzled glances until Siwon huffed out a breath.

‘I’m going in there.’ He announced and got a hand on the door before Leeteuk stopped him.

‘Wait, wait, wait.’ The psychic stood between Siwon and the door. ‘He could be volatile. You saw the way he was back in Faust, he completely lost control. Who knows what he might do if you just waltz right in there.’

‘I’ll have my shields up.’ Siwon protested. ‘If it turns ugly, Yesung can teleport Donghae down here to put out the fire at least.’ Leeteuk folded his arms but stepped to the side nevertheless to allow Siwon to enter the chamber.

Ryeowook, Yesung and Leeteuk stood back and watched as Siwon threw up a forcefield around himself and then grabbed the metal door handle with conviction to allow his body to adapt to the same material. He then started progressing further into the room. The heat grew ten times more intense now that the door was open and the three in the corridor felt a sting behind their eyes at the smoke billowing about. Siwon resiliently trudged closer to Hankyung who had yet to move from his position on the ground. But, when the edges of Siwon’s forcefield brushed against the cloak of fire rippling across Hankyung’s back, the Chinaman launched himself up and around.

‘Hankyung!’ Siwon called out, in alarm more than anything. Hankyung’s eyes were boiling with a deep orange colour and standing out from the darkness surrounding them.

‘Get out!!’ The pyro roared, his voice sounded barely human.

‘Hankyung! What are you doing?!!’ Siwon yelled. Hankyung growled and started to advance. An inferno gathered in each of his palms and raged dangerously yet Siwon managed to hold his ground.

‘Yesung get Donghae!’ Ryeowook shrieked. ‘Kibum, Eunhyuk, Heechul… anyone!! I can’t use the wind; it’ll just make the fire worse!’ Yesung didn’t need telling twice and disappeared. Siwon noticed Hankyung’s attention snap to the mention of Heechul. He didn’t know what possessed him but he instinctively knew what might help Hankyung in that moment.

‘Heechul needs you Hankyung! He’s in pain!’ The flames started dying down. ‘We’re all trying to help him but he needs you as well.’ Siwon watched the consuming blaze reduce to smouldering embers. The fight was leaving Hankyung and as it departed from his body, he staggered forwards, breathing heavily with eyes bulging.

‘Heechul…’ He choked out and dropped to his knees. Siwon approached him cautiously, refraining from putting a hand on his shoulder; the comforting gesture would have been useless.


Kangin rested his back up against the toilet door and spread out his legs across the thick red carpet. He picked at the grime underneath his nails for a few moments until, sighing, he took a glance around the room. Heechul’s bedroom was in its usual state of disarray: clothes draped across the bed and the vanity chair, fairy tale books stacked precariously next to the side table, the odd weapon or two poking out of unusual places such as the knife resting in a pot of a makeup brushes… Kangin sighed again and allowed his head to fall back against the wood behind him.

‘How are you doing in there?’ He called out. He heard a cough, a splutter and a spit. The toilet flushed and then a tap starting running.

‘Absolutely spectacular.’ Heechul’s reply, dripping in sarcasm, made Kangin smirk.

‘Do you want me to get you anything?’ He asked. The tap stopped running. If he listened in closely enough, he could hear Heechul gulping down a glass of water.

‘No.’ The shifter didn’t sound entirely convinced. ‘But I don’t think I want to get too far away from the toilet for a while.’ Kangin sniggered although the smile gradually faded when, a short while later, the sounds of vomiting reached his ears once again. He went back to picking at his fingernails.

Heechul stayed in the bathroom and Kangin stayed sitting outside of it for another eight and a half minutes. Then Leeteuk came crashing through the bedroom door and the atmosphere dramatically changed. The eldest had obviously just run from somewhere as his breath was short and his expression was exaggerated. Kangin quickly judged the level of panic in his eyes; something he had gotten used to doing after a long time in close company with Leeteuk. The alarm was not deemed great enough to require standing up for which was fortunate because Kangin was very comfortable.

‘Where’s Heechul?’ Leeteuk panted out. The wolf gestured behind him.

‘In there. He’s been throwing up for the last twenty minutes.’ He replied and abruptly, Leeteuk’s anxiety settings switched to a new target.

‘What? Why? Is he alright?’

‘He’s as best as he can be.’ Kangin shrugged.

‘We should get the nurse.’ Leeteuk brushed the hair out of his eyes agitatedly. ‘And get him into bed. He needs to rest properly. Where’s his hot water bottle?’ He started searching around.

‘Calm down will you? It’s not that big of an emergency.’

‘Calm down?!’ The psychic’s voice was getting shrill. ‘I swear the world’s gone mad. Jay and Jungmo are dead, Kyuhyun and Sungmin aren’t speaking to each other and now you’re acting like you couldn’t give a when your best friend is obviously very ill!’

‘Teukie, what the ?’ Kangin scowled at the other boy in frustration and annoyed confusion. Leeteuk let out an infuriated noise.

‘Urgh! I am so done with you lately. It’s like I don’t even know you anymore! God I’m glad they never gave my old bedroom to someone else. Have fun sleeping by yourself.’ And with that, Leeteuk stormed out. Kangin was so bewildered by the outburst and equally so maddened by it that he could do little else other than look straight ahead and glare while his fist clenched and unclenched. This meant he was caught off guard when the bathroom door suddenly opened and Heechul stepped over his legs.

‘Heechul?’ He scrambled up to his feet at last.

‘Leave me alone.’ Heechul walked quickly in the same direction as Leeteuk had just gone.

‘Heechul, wait!’ Kangin darted forwards and leapt in front of him. There were fresh tear tracks down Heechul’s cheeks and his eyes were beginning to go bloodshot. ‘I’m sorry you had to hear that. I don’t know what got into him.’ The shifter sniffed and scrubbed a hand across his wet face.

‘Everything’s just , isn’t it? Nothing’s the same anymore.’ He said quietly. Kangin couldn’t reply because he didn’t want to admit out loud that the statement was true. He stopped trying to get in Heechul’s way and let the redhead stride past him.


Heechul had often used to dream that one day he’d call his work at The Institute finished and just take off with his belongings in a rucksack and travel to wherever the wind took him. Then the years drifted by and he started to realise he’d need more than a rucksack to carry his things in, especially with all those shoes. Then more years passed and the dream faded to the very back of his mind where thoughts about Jay and his family had been kept securely. But now, as he settled himself on the floor of the Watch Tower, the dream came back to him in waves and he looked up at the sky.

The thought of leaving the Institute and running off in the night now felt like an escape. Not the serene quality that washes over from a comforting distraction, the kind of escape that meant leaving all the problems and hardships for someone else to deal with. Heechul could admit to himself that that’s not what he wanted to do. He’d never be able to say goodbye to Donghae and Sungmin and… Hankyung and, well, everyone. But above all else, staying meant that he had the chance to fix his problems and hardships.

It just seemed like the most difficult task in the world at that moment.

It was still the day of Jay’s funeral and Heechul never imagined this day would come. Even when he hadn’t known where Jay was and his brain started to invent horrifying possibilities concerning what had happened to him. He’d stayed in his room, in his bed, for the last four days trying to process it all. The nightmares changed but remained consistent every night. He’d spent his waking hours staring at the ceiling, eyes stinging from fresh tears running over old ones. It was only when he was stood on that bridge and watching Jay’s corpse go up in flames that he realised he’d accepted Jay was dead about five months ago. Therein lay the reassurance that he’d be ok eventually.

Perhaps ok mentally but physically, he didn’t know what was wrong with him. He knew what panic attacks were, he’d had enough of them and he knew what they entailed. They felt unimaginably… , for lack of a better word. But Heechul also knew that the way his body kept going into panic mode so often lately was scaring him. Spending the better part of half an hour throwing up the little he had in his stomach and more besides was disconcerting and that was putting it lightly. It all stemmed from the Dark Elves return and if they didn’t kill him in battle then he was almost sure they would by fear alone.

Then there was Kangin and Leeteuk. Heechul hadn’t needed to have been amongst the group of special agents to know that tensions were running high. Kangin had told him as well that things weren’t entirely back to normal. He’d purposefully left out the part to Heechul where he and Leeteuk had started having problems. Although, Leeteuk had definitely sounded like he was projecting rather than he was actually mad at Kangin earlier. Still, it was clear that their relationship wasn’t as sunshine and roses as everyone always assumed it was. Heechul knew it wasn’t his job to repair their relationship, that’s not what was bothering him, it was exactly what he’d told Kangin – nothing was the same anymore.

The shifter jumped when he heard the door open behind him. He swivelled around to see who was there but did not bother to get up from his position sitting cross-legged on the floor. To his upmost surprise, it was Kyuhyun that was shuffling into the room. He hadn’t noticed the other occupant but when he did, it was his turn to jump. The demon smirked at being startled and gave Heechul a crooked, toothy grin, the kind of smile that made him look more like a demon than when he eyes turned black.

‘Sorry. Didn’t know you were up here.’ He said, carrying on with whatever business he’d come to the Watch Tower to do. Heechul watched him go through a filing cabinet and then the set of drawers underneath the security desk.

‘I thought it was about time I left my bedroom.’ Kyuhyun smirked again. ‘What are you looking for?’

‘Oh, nothing. Kibum was after this… thing..’ He trailed off as he continued to root around in the drawers but promptly straightened up when it appeared he couldn’t find whatever it was. ‘Never mind. He can find it himself.’ Kyuhyun came over to where Heechul was sitting and without needing or wanting an invitation, plonked himself right beside him. ‘So how’s tricks?’ Heechul smirked this time.

‘Super.’ He replied dryly. The pair of them silently looked up through the dome of glass and out at the sky above them where grey clouds were wandering past the Institute and gathering in the east. ‘What’s Sungmin like in bed?’ Heechul decided to break the quiet. Kyuhyun took a second to realise what he’d said and then his eyes doubled in size.

‘How the did you find out about that?’ He questioned, looking at the other boy in alarm.

‘I know everything.’ Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. He pointedly didn’t say anything else in the hope that the subject would be dropped but that was wishful thinking. ‘We’re in some kind of weird triangle now.’

‘What do you mean?’

‘Well you’ve slept with Sungmin, Sungmin’s slept with Siwon, Siwon’s slept with me…’

‘That’s a square.’

‘We’re the ones making a gap.’ Heechul waggled his eyebrows playfully. ‘Wanna hook up later?’ Kyuhyun laughed.

‘I don’t think that’s a good idea.’ He said.

‘That’s true. I don’t think you could handle all of this.’ Heechul gestured to himself and Kyuhyun sniggered again.

‘Actually, I think you wouldn’t be able to handle this.’

‘Well Sungmin did say you were well hung…’ Kyuhyun choked and Heechul starting laughing. The sensation felt blissfully calming, he hadn’t laughed properly in a while. He regretted when it began to die down as Kyuhyun managed to recover. ‘Anyway, we wouldn’t have been very good together.’ He mused.

‘Why’s that?’ The demon raised an eyebrow.

‘You’re in love with someone else.’ Heechul gave the younger boy a knowing smile but Kyuhyun dropped his eyes to his feet. ‘I can’t believe I never realised it after all this time.’

‘You’ve had about five years. What took you so long?’ Kyuhyun muttered quietly.

‘Five years? You’ve been in love with Sungmin for five years?!’ Heechul repeated incredulously. He ran his hands through his hair in a state of disbelief.

‘Possibly longer though I wasn’t entirely aware of it.’ Kyuhyun leaned forwards, resting his elbows on his knees and resting his chin in his hands. The shifter shook his head at him despite him not being able to see the action.

‘It’s about bloody time you told him.’

‘What’s the point? He doesn’t want anything to do with me.’ Heechul whacked Kyuhyun’s arm. ‘Ow! What was that for?!’

‘You have got to be the biggest idiot I know.’

‘Wow. Thanks.’ Kyuhyun rolled his eyes a second time.

‘For once, I’m not going to meddle.’ Heechul announced. ‘But if you don’t go and talk to Sungmin in the next twenty-four hours, you’re toast.’

‘I’m so terribly frightened.’

‘Do you have anything to say that’s not sarcastic?’ Kyuhyun snickered. He finally looked up and grinned at Heechul again before slinging his arm around the shifter’s neck and pulling him against his side.

‘I love you too you know. When you’re not being a pain in the .’

‘Good because I’m awesome.’ They both broke out into laughter and stayed holding onto each other for support and comfort. 


 

 

 

 

 

another Heechul-vention , this time for Kyuhyun ;D

I was so pleased by the response to the last two chapters, thank you guys! I know a few of you were saying that you wanted there to be some sort of conversation between Heechul and Jay, well, I'm not saying there will or there won't be.... ;) keep reading and find out

I hope this chapter was as depressing/dramatic as I was intending it to be, I need everything to take a nosedive emotionally before it can get better again, you know, because I'm evil mwahaha

please keep commenting and everything, it's the best feeling in the world to know people are enjoying this story

~JC