Please don't worry

A Forgotten Friend

Another Monday had come around and things weren't any better.

It was suffocating. It was so suffocating. I just wanted to be home without having to hear that man's voice, and my mom was starting to make me anxious too. I didn't want to get hurt again. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to get away.

I was sitting at my desk in my room in silence, with a pen in my hand, frozen in place. I was listening...it sounded like someone had opened the front door. My mom was sleeping in her room and I was hoping that it wouldn't be who I thought it was. My body was tense and I suddenly felt very cold and afraid. He was probably home early from work. I shut my eyes tightly, just wishing he wouldn't come upstairs.

"Hey kid! Get down here." I could barely hear him and I wanted to pretend that I didn't. My body moved by itself and I hurried downstairs so that he wouldn't get angry again. I was walking on eggshells here. I peeked into the livingroom from upstairs and I seen him standing by the stairs with crossed arms, I made my way slowly down the stairs until I was right in front of him. He had a distinct smell that I'm sure would haunt me in my nightmares for the rest of my life. "Why isn't dinner ready? What the have you been doing all day?" He talked slowly, eyes narrowed. I wasnt sure what he was talking about. Dinner usually wasn't ready until 6 or 7. It was only nearing 5.

"I was...I was at school." I mumbled and lowered my head, I just felt like he was going to hit me. The tension between us was way too much to bear. How could my mother have let such an animal into this house?

"I can barely pay for that school you know," He turned away from me, "You're lucky I even feed you and that upstairs." He laughed a little and my ears burned red at the words he was using to describe my mother. I was angry but I was still afraid. "Your family is really pathetic. I heard that even your father didn't want you guys..." He turned and tilted my head up and frowned at the face I was making. I wanted to cry and my expression was probably showing it. 

"Well, what are you waiting for? Go make dinner you piece of ." He pushed me to the kitchen but I immediately turned around.

"We...we don't have anything to eat." I whispered and he scoffed at my trembling voice. He looked like he was too tired to fight so he pulled out his wallet and handed me some money.

"Then go get something." He sat down on the couch and smiled to himself. "And hurry back."

...

 

I ran to the store, the nearest one being 10 minutes away. I was out of breath and sweaty by the time I made it to the front doors. I wanted to cry, I just wanted to cry. I clutched the money in my hands and made my way into the store. I didn't know what to buy. I missed the times when I would ride in a basket through the isles with my father, while my mother picked out spices and meat and fresh fruit. I slowly made my way down those same isles that I used to as a kid. It was different, being here alone. I scoured my brain for recipes that my mother had taught me, easy things to cook that won't take up any time. It was just my luck though, that I ran into Jackson.

"Jackson!" I called and he turned around surprised to hear my voice. It was weird that he was here, he was rarely ever over here shopping for groceries, he had his own store near his house.

"Bam?" he asked and walked over to me with a big smile on his face. I forgot about everything the moment I saw his smile. I was relieved. I felt safe.

"I need help." Was all that I said and he furrowed his eyebrows. I put on the best facade that I could muster and pretended like nothing was going on. "My mom wants me to cook tonight, but I'm not sure what to make." I laughed a little and he tilted his head.

"You!? Cooking?" He laughed that obnoxious laugh of his and nearly dropped the cereal boxes he was holding in his hands. I smiled and shrugged, not having the mental strength to defend myself at the moment or even joke around with him. I didn't have time to be talking like this.

"Please, just...if you have advice please tell me."

"I will, but what are you doing here alone?" he asked and looked around behind me for someone else. I punched him lightly in the arm.

"I should be asking you the same." I turned around and walked away from him and he followed, I was just trying to get him to hurry.

"I met another rapper from around here, I was staying at his house and he asked me to get some cereal, I may have accidentally eaten all his cereal so...." He held up the boxes and grinned, then he suddenly took a closer look at me. "You look terrible Bam. I just noticed...have you been sleeping at all?" He asked incredulously. I turned away from him and shrugged yet again, shaking my head lightly.

"I had a test to study for." I said and he didn't answer back. We walked through the isles quickly after that, I was grateful that he was hurrying. The whole situation was absurd though, I hadn't seen Jackson for nearly the whole week and the only time we do is at some random store ten minutes away from my house. He was talking quickly, explaining how to make some pasta dinner and I listened closely to the details. He carried everything for me as we got in line to pay for the items, he put down two cereal boxes and all of my items before taking out his wallet and paying for all of it. I didn't bother to stop him. I just took the bags as we walked outside, thanking him for everything.

"Thank you, without you I probably would have ruined dinner....and thanks for buying..." I trailed off. He ruffled my hair and smiled.

"I'll drive you home." I immediately paled, I didn't know whether to accept or decline. It would be faster...

"No, Jackson really. It's okay..." I didn't have an excuse, I didn't know what to say.

"Don't worry about it. Come on." 

My words caught in my throat as I followed him to his car and got in, my mind was blank, all that I was thinking was that I needed to get home quickly. He drove and it didn't take long before we arrived at that dreaded house. I got out of the car and he followed behind, I turned around with wide eyes, stopping him from walking any further.

"What are you doing?" I asked and he looked confused for a moment.

"Well, I'm gonna help you make dinner. I don't want you to mess it up," He joked and I shook my head furiously.

"No...it's just...well...." I ran out of excuses, my mind was blank. I was tired. "Okay." I it up and went to the front door, hoping to god that everything would turn out okay. I just didn't have the strength to fight back right now.

I opened the door and looked around apprehensively. He was still sitting on the couch, with that ugly wide grin of his. He looked to the door, "It's about time, brat." he mumbled and Jackson looked confused for a moment, walking into the house and standing beside me. He scanned the man on the couch with burning eyes.

"This is...Jackson." I said, with all the courage that I could gather. It helped that Jackson stood beside me, "I ran into him at the supermarket." I showed him the bags and Jackson stayed silent.

"I didn't ing ask. Just get to cooking already." He leaned back and closed his eyes, huffing. Jackson looked at me with a bewildered look on his face. I didn't bother to send him a look back, I just walked into the kitchen quickly and closed the door tightly. Jackson didn't speak for a moment, he just set out all of the ingredients before ushering me into a further corner of the kitchen. I didn't try and stop him, I knew sooner or later this would happen.

"What the hell was that?" he whispered, and then shook his head, "No, I mean WHO the hell is that?" He asked and motioned to the kitchen door where, on the other side of it, the man was probably still relaxing on the couch.

"It's a long story, I'll explain after we make dinner." I pushed Jackson out of the way and we started on the dinner that would only be for one person. 

...

Jackson didn't allow me to get close to the man who was wandering around the kitchen. He served him the pasta we made on a plate, and he even got him a drink. I just stood by and watched, thankful that Jackson was here. If he wasn't, I don't think I would have been brave enough to do it.

"You're lucky that your friend is here, boy." He looked directly at me and I froze, Jackson glanced back at me. "Now go do your homework or whatever useless it is that you do." I hurried out and Jackson lingered for a few seconds longer, I knew he wanted to say something but he didn't. He grabbed my wrist and dragged me up the stairs and to my room, passing the door that my mom was in. I knew she probably wasn't sleeping anymore, she was probably just pretending that she was.

"Explain." He said immediately once the door was closed. I sat on my bed and sighed.

"There's not much to explain Jackson. He's just...he's kind of...my mom's boyfriend." I whispered and Jackson scoffed loudly.

"Well, he's pretty ty if you ask me. Not to mention, he treats you like..." he stopped himself before he could say any more and he sighed heavily. "Why didn't you tell me? Has he been talking to you like that this whole time? When did this even happen? Is he living here?" He asked and paced the room with his arms crossed. I finally started to cry. I didn't want to but before I knew it tears started to roll down my face.

"I don't..." My voice was shaking and I hiccuped, "I don't wanna talk about it right now." I wiped my eyes and turned my face away. Jackson was next to me before I knew it, trying to calm me down and comfort me.

"Okay, it's okay I'm sorry. We don't have to talk about it right now. It's all right." 

I nodded my head and tried my best to stop the foolish tears that were escaping, "He's just..." I sighed heavily, "He's really mean." I mumbled and Jackson nodded at what I was saying.

"I understand, it's okay." He hugged me tightly. "It's okay."

...

Jackson left me after I forced him to go.

This all seemed too familiar. I glanced at the unfinished homework on my desk and shook my head, saving it for later tonight when I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep.

 

 

 

 

 

<><><>

 

I have another chapter coming very very soon, please read this and wait for the next one to be put up :)