The guardian of the gem

Shadows

The guardian of the gem, 3k~wc, pg

 

Wooyoung



Why can't these damn tears stop?

Wooyoung takes long repetitive breaths to calm himself down as he gallops his steed slower ; desperately wiping these stubborn tears that seem to flow endlessly ever since he left the lighthouse. Maybe the tears flow because he's in pain, knowing that he may never see Taecyeon ever again after today. But it was for the better, he assures himself.

The imperial gate lies just over the bridge, he can't let the guard see him crying or there will be rumors. The last thing he wanted was to desecrate Nichkhun's name any further, that, and the fact that if anyone knew he was gone to see Taecyeon, even dares to spend the entire day with him, there will be no telling of the peril he will cause him.


The guards bows at his arrivals, the horse boy came running for his steed as Wooyoung jumps off and walk briskly deeper into the castle, taking his gloves off as he walk.

Royal maids approaches him in the corridor and offers to take his cloak but Wooyoung waves them off. He just needs to be in his chamber as fast as his feet could carry him. He would start running for it if he didn't thought it would bring more suspicions towards him. The walls have eyes. Wooyoung knows that fact for sure.

He nods to a few high rank guards crossing his path and hope they doesn’t see anything out of the ordinary about him. that they doesn’t see the tears welling up behind his forced fake smile. Doesn’t  see that he’s going to break down sobbing anytime soon while praying for death to come sooner so he can meet his lover once again.

Only in his chamber he can be safe from prying eyes, ears that listens more than they should, mouth that speaks lies, in the most painful ways.

One more turn, one more turn on the end of this corridor and he can hide himself from the world. Shedding these masks he's so used of wearing to hide his true feeling,-to protect all his loved ones; then, sinking under the blanket and forgetting about everything and just sleep. One more turn, and he's fr--,

" Your Excellency! "

Wooyoung stops by the sound of approaching footsteps, he recognizes her, she’s one of the imperial maids. They serves only the imperial family, so her coming for him must meant someone from the inner lineage wants something from him. Wooyoung can feel his heart pounding faster.

" Yes.? " He gives a stoic face. His hands clutching the leather gloves that he wears to ride tightly.

" His imperial highness requested your presence "

His imperial highness. Of course, Wooyoung inwardly curses his luck. Nichkhun.

" Now?" Wooyoung blinks. Such a stupid question he knows, but this can't be. Nichkhun can't requested for his presence now. Not when he's on the verge to tears, not when he's breaking apart, falling apart. Not now. But to put it off will cause questions, and if someone even suspects anything, Taecyeon might not able to make his escape. So wooyoung his breath and steels himself, ”Let’s go then." He continues before the maids have the chance to speak.



The large door leading  to Nichkhun's room is pushed open before him, and Wooyoung can see the fire place from where he stands. The maids take his cloak and gloves and motions him to enter and so wooyoung does, taking careful steps inside.

He knows this room. He's familiar with everything in it. It used to be his private playground with Nichkhun when they were just children. From the marble fire place to the immense four poles bed. He remembers jumping up and down on the bouncy and soft mattress with Nichkhun, giggling on how scared their nannies and servants were because of them. He remembers hiding under the bed with nichkhun when neither of them want to take a bath, remembers how nichkhun hugged him tightly before he was sent away to live with the priests, to be protected, they say, but he was eight and scared and doesn’t understand why they would take him from his best friend. So many years gone by, so many thing happened by now, so many has changed since then.

" Your Excellency, it's good to see you doing well. " A man about his father's age greets him with a smile.

" Thank you councilmen Jung " Wooyoung replies.

" I believe your day out was....satisfying?"

Wooyoung feels his heart stops at the remark. What is councilmen Jung insinuating? wooyoung gives a side long glance at the man and realized that the honorable councilmen is not actually smiling, he’s sneering.

" What i choose to do in my day out is none of your concern, councilmen. " Wooyoung gives a short, rather harsh reply. He is ,-despite everything, guardian of the gem, and no man of lower rank should speak to him in such tone.

" Councilmen , leave us.". Another voice comes to Wooyoung's ear and he sees Nichkhun standing by his study table. His back facing Wooyoung.


The door creaks and closes behind him and finally they are alone. Normally wooyoung can breathe out in relieve when this happens, he can be his usual playful self with nichkhun when no one is around. But something doesn’t seem right today. Wooyoung tries to control the beating of his heart. Had something happened? Why is Nichkhun being cold and distant? His childhood friend is usually warm and affectionate towards him, this change of attitude makes wooyoung uneasy, and it doesn’t help that the sunset is closely approaching, Wooyoung gets nervous at these times; His awareness jumping up to the roof, the itch starting to spread under his skin. The being inside him is getting stronger, and controlling it has been a challenge every time.

Stay calm. Breathe. he tells himself. Mind projecting the memories of his homeland to ease the tension he's feeling. He sees the peaceful beaches, the rolling of the waves crashing patiently on the reefs, the various colorful flower which names he can decipher with only one single sniff of its fragrance. The land he loved with all his heart. His home.

" Wooyoung…where have you been? " Nichkhun's asks him. His voice low and cold and the sense of peace Wooyoung iss starting to feel evaporates quicker than one of old man Daegu's mixture out in the sun.

" I was riding. " Wooyoung answers him, praying Nichkhun doesn’t hear the way his voice shakes. Nichkhun still have his back facing him. The candles are lit and Nichkhun had all the windows and curtains closed.

" Riding..." He echoes Wooyoung's answer. " For the entire day?"

" Yes. It’s a beautiful day out. " He replies. Noticing how Nichkhun fists his hand at his answer. Wooyoung swallows.

“Where did you ride to?"

He blinks. Weighing in his mind whether he's just being paranoid again or there really is something else behind Nichkhun's seemingly casual questions. Does Nichkhun know? He couldn't have. Wooyoung assures himself. He has been very careful about everything.

" Around. Sightseeing. Rathamore is a large capitol; I don't think I will ever see enough."

" Indeed. Rathamore is beautiful. " Nichkhun takes a deep breath and finally, turns to face him. But his face is dark and grim, lacking the smile he almost always have. " You should see the Bay area. It's lovely there. It'll remind you of your home. The sea, the reefs, and there's this old light house there, very beautiful. It was build during my grandfather's time. You can see the vast sea from there, a breathtaking view." He pauses, voice dropping low and darker than Wooyoung ever remember him hearing. " But you've already seen that lighthouse, right  Wooyoung? You know all about that lighthouse don’t you?”

Nichkhun knew.  The realization make Wooyoung's heart pounding mercilessly against his ribcages, his eyes boring holes on Nichkhun's bedroom floor, unable to look the prince in the eye.

" Answer me."

" Yes. " Wooyoung finally says after a long silence. " Yes it's very lovely there. " He chokes. Wooyoung lifts his face and tries not to crumble under nichkhun scrutinizing gaze. " You knew,....how did you knew? Did councilmen Jung informed you.?"

" He didn't need to."  Nichkhun hisses, voice lacing with something dangerous. "You reek his stench. How can I not tell."

" Nichkhun i--,"

" Give me one good reason why I should not have his head on a platter by tomorrow." Nichkhun demands in a threatening tone. His hands clenching the edges of the table, knuckles white from the sheer anger that did not escape Wooyoung's eyes.

Wooyoung feels all his strength abandons from him. He's already in an emotional turmoil from his separation with Taecyeon, and now his backbone feels like pudding and his knees threatening to give any moment. He never saw Nichkhun so angry before. His brown eyes lost the warm glow it used to hold, in its place are flickering fiery reds that burns Wooyoung the more he fixes his gaze on Nichkhun. Even the being inside the prince is in rage.

" Speak..., open your mouth and answer me." Nichkhun quips.

Wooyoung swallows, nervous. His palms wet and he wants to bolt out of there, to be back in Taecyeon's arm.  Nichkhun eyes him with fuming rage, the flickering candle twists his shadow on the bedroom walls, making it bigger and darker than usual.

But it was not just anger, Wooyoung knows. Sees. The shame, the disgrace Wooyoung have cause Nichkhun. The humiliation that will befell the prince had anyone else hear of this is is unmentionable. Wooyoung understands his offense is beyond forgiveness. Now he must choose his answer carefully, for whatever truth he speak, will affect not only him, but also Nichkhun, and Taecyeon, and most of all, the lives of his people.

" I--,.." He thought of lying. To say that it was nothing but a fling, that he was bored, that he was only playing around, that it means nothing. Nichkhun will believe him. Surely Nichkhun will know it’s a lie, but Nichkhun will choose to believe him. So why not just lie ? His mind screams.

Wooyoung lowers his hand, doesn’t remember lifting them to his chest, unknowingly clutching the front of the shirt he's wearing in his wave of distress. He wipes the sweat of his palm on his pants, adjusting to breathe slower, calmer. Nichkhun gaze on him is still unnerving. He forces himself to look back at Nichkhun, and knows he couldn't lie. He wouldn't lie. Nichkhun deserves the truth; he owes it that much to him.

" I love him, Nichkhun." Wooyoung answers. His confession no more than a whisper, but he knows Nichkhun could hear him.

If Nichkhun is angry before, he’s raging now. His eyes set ablaze as he snatches the candle holder on the table and make his way to Wooyoung.

Wooyoung closes his eyes and readies himself  to receive whatever harm Nichkhun intend to do to him. It is his fault. He let this happens. He was careless to fall for the warrior that saved him and it cannot be undone.

The air shifts around him and Wooyoung knows the blow is coming. Nichkhun screams and he hears a loud clank of what sounds like a candle holder being tossed against the wall.

" Can't you even lie to me?" Nichkhun booms. " Are you that much in love with him that you fail to see my sufferings?" He's gripping Wooyoung's shoulder, shaking them harshly in his outburst of anger.

" Must I hear with my own ears those words of blasphemy spoken true by your lips? .....Your sweet, innocent lips... " His voice softens as it trails away. Wooyoung feels a soft press on his lips and opens his eyes. Slender fingers grazing, gently tracing his lips, trembling, longing. Nichkhun has a dazed look on his face, and when their gaze meets, It has come to Wooyoung that it isn't anger, it isn't shame; it is, more than anything. Pain.

" I'm sorry..." Wooyoung quivers. He raises his hand timidly to hold Nichkhun's cheek and the young prince closes his eyes to the touch. Wooyoung wants to fix this; he never wanted to hurt anyone, especially not Nichkhun of all people. He loves Nichkhun. Nichkhun is his bestfriend. " It's my fault. I am to blame. I never thought it could come this way, but it was a long journey to reach Rathamore, and I have been reckless with my heart. I will bear the consequence, I will endure whatever punishment you choose to give to me "

" Of course, ...." Whispering quietly, Nichkhun takes Wooyoung's hand from his cheek.

Mild kisses were given to his palms, then going to his wrists; finally Nichkhun brings them together and kisses his fingers. A strange serene calmness shows on nichkhun’s face as he lifts his head and holds Wooyoung gaze.

" I should've realized it sooner." Nichkhun reaches forward and fixes Wooyoung's mused fringe, he smiles sympathetically, the warm loving glow of his eyes are back. " You're too naïve, " he says, wiping the tears Wooyoung unknowingly shed. " The elders have taught you everything and yet they have taught you nothing. You're so pure...so innocent, you knew nothing of these deceiving conniving games people play. You still believe that everyone have a good heart like yours. I see it now. " he smiles. " Now go, wash and freshen yourself, then rest , you look tired." Nichkhun kisses wooyoung’s forehead gently. His kiss is warm, but it lacks the fluttering butterflies Wooyoung feels in his stomach like when Taecyeon kissed him earlier. " Someone will pay for this insult. But it won't be you. " Nichkhun mumbles.

Wooyoung feels a chill down his spine as he hears Nichkhun say it. " Who? Who will? Who is this you speak of? who will pay for the insult? " He asks. A discomforting feeling creeps inside of him as his thoughts wanders to Taecyeon, in his small chamber at the lighthouse.

Nichkhun smiles," It’s nothing your little head should worry. No one will take advantage of you any longer. I shall put a stop to it."

Wooyoung feels his mouth reacting faster than his mind. " No! Don't hurt him. Please, Khun, if anyone is to blame it should be me. He had done nothing. It’s me, blame me. Please.." The barriers finally broke. The tension, fear, sorrow and pain wooyoung desperately holds back explodes at the thought of Taecyeon being harmed. His tears come flowing down as he begs.

Nichkhun gazes at him as if he had grown a third eye as he pleads and begs. At this point wooyoung have lost all care of what Nichkhun would think of him. His sole concern is Taecyeon's safety.

" He has done nothing ?Don't hurt him? " Nichkhun scoffs. " Wooyoung, I will not hurt him, that I can promise you. I will kill him. By this time tomorrow, the earth would be lessen from the footsteps of that insolent ill-bred man."

" Nichkhun. No. Please. Me, take me instead. Kill me instead." Wooyoung tugs the sleeves of Nichkhun's robe, desperate to change his mind. Nichkhun is the future king of Rathamore, if he wanted Taecyeon dead, then there's isn't any place in the eastern region where Taecyeon can be safe. His tears flow faster, he begs harder. Anything to stop Nichkhun from going with his plan. Anything.

" Stop this !" Nichkhun swings the back of his hand in the peak of annoyance, landing it on Wooyoung's cheek. The imperial ring he wears scratches the skin where it landed. A streak of red is seen as blood starts to seep out from the wound . Somehow, seeing the wound inflicts Nichkhun's anger even more.

" Should it be like this then?!!" He pushes Wooyoung off. His strength is no match for Wooyoung and the latter falls on his back to the bed behind him. " I've tried to reason with you. Why are you being so difficult? Do you like it when I use strength to get what I want from you?." Nichkhun's chest heaves, the flare of anger burns again.

Wooyoung bounces off the bed and tries to get up, supporting his weight with his elbows when Nichkhun moves forward, climbing the bed with his knee. " If you kill him tonight, then tomorrow you will have to bury two bodies. His, and mine. I swear Nichkhun, I will take my own life if ever you should take his." Wooyoung stutters, backing away as Nichkhun dangerously approaching. " And if you hurt him in anyway, then I shall spent my entire life hating you. Despising you with every breath I take till the day that I die.."

" Do you know how long I've waited for you? " Nichkhun growls low. He’s approaching Wooyoung with his hands and knees, ignoring Wooyoung's puny little threats. " How much I want you? how much I want to make this work? For us to work? I treat you with love, affection. I grant you your every wish, I gave you your precious time, freedom, thinking you will find your way to me, that you will come by my side willingly. But No, " Nichkhun hissed, seething with jealousy." You kept coming back to him. You keep searching for him. Even the entity inside you longs for his touch, his voice, his disrespectful shameless love. It seems you're keen to be treated roughly. That's how he handles you, right? Hard and rough. Fine then, I shall give to you the way you liked it. I will be rough with you. " He ends with a dangerous tone.

Wooyoung keep shifting back, desperately keeping a safe distance between them. Because this is Nichkhun's room and this is Nichkhun's bed and Nichkhun has this dark glint in his eyes that can only be describe with one word.

Hunger.