Chapter 5

Connections

 

Jaejoong had felt restless trying to just sit on the garden with all the dragons flying above casting sudden shadows. And he had seen a magnificent purple dragon, one much bigger than usual. Giving up, he went to view the stores, searching if there was anything new he wanted to buy. Soon he would be working and receiving his own money. He didn’t really much care for history but he did remember how Yoochun had told the story of how the colony had tried to abolish the use of money and gave up. There were just some jobs that no one wanted to do unless they saw an immediate benefit to it. In the end, they had returned to using money. It wasn’t really a necessity to earn money, life on Lhara was comfortable even if you didn’t had much money. However, Jaejoong had always liked to buy things, one of the few fun activities he preferred to join with his sisters instead of with his friends. Jaejoong smiled. Since drinking that weird tasteless potion, he was less and less aware of his sisters’s chatter. He was still perfectly aware of his friends lazing on the garden but that was pretty much it. No parents and, thankfully, no sisters. He wondered how their Linked Ones put up with them. They were always together. 

Jaejoong spotted a few toys and smiled. Maybe something for his nephews? He really liked the kids, they brightened his day every time he saw them. That made Jaejoong suddenly look at his own reflection in the glass window. He was finally an adult, the dragon riding would be the final formality to it. That also meant finding a Linked One and eventually becoming a parent. He smiled at that. He liked children. Jaejoong remembered Lydia and smiled more. On the back of his mind, mostly because of Changmin’s teasing, he had worried if he would really become a mather. Even he had to admit that his looks were a mixture of masculine and feminine, no matter how muscled he actually was. He hadn’t wanted to end up paired with a man, not too keen on the idea because something told him that if he did, chances were he’d be the mather. Not something to look forward to when your own father has four wives. And yet he had felt drawn to Lydia almost instantly. He found her soothing, so easy to talk to and be around. She wasn’t noisy like his sisters, wasn’t teasing like his friends. Best of all, around her he felt like how Yunho must feel all the time: a protector. He really enjoyed that new feeling.



Lydia felt her feet guide her to the stores. Something was calling to her. As soon as she turned a corner, she smiled brightly to see Jaejoong. Inside her mind, she felt him smile too at the same time as his face broke into a blinding smile. Her face felt warm and her heart raced.

-Hi, I’m happy to meet you. How are you? – Asked Jaejoong.

-H-hi.

Lydia felt her face grow warmer. Her happiness at meeting the gorgeous man went in waves at him. She hide her face a little. It was embarrassing to have her thoughts shared with him out of her control. However, as soon as she felt his own happiness also flowing into her, she relaxed and smiled up at him again.



Much later, as they both walked slowly around the lake, almost no one in sight, except a few dragon shadows blocking the orange light of the moon, they fell into a comfortable silence, only their minds sharing their random thoughts. By that point, they could already chose which thoughts to share, much to their delight. The involuntary sharing had caused a few embarrassing moments during the day for both of them. 

Right now, Jaejoong was incredibly relieved and happy that he had somehow learned to keep some of his own thoughts just to himself, instead of having them randomly shared with Lydia. Especially since, for some time now, he was sure that he was, as Changmin had elegantly put it, pointing up. There could be no other way to explain why his pants felt so tight on his groin area, the friction against the fabric a mixture of pleasant and unpleasant. It was a bit like when he woke up in the morning needing to pee and yet it was very different. Jaejoong was curious as hell to just look down or simply touch himself but he didn’t want to attract Lydia’s attention to that detail.

Their bodies were very close as they walked slowly, her smell causing him strange reactions. Jaejoong found he was having trouble not to stare at her lips, they were full and rosy. He smiled to notice she seemed to be having a similar problem. His old habit of biting his lips surfaced. Lydia’s breath hitched and he was hit with a wave of her feelings, just a spark escaping her control, but enough to make him bold. Jaejoong stopped her, bringing her body closer, lowering his head and then, before their lips touched, he fully allowed all his emotions to flow into her, causing Lydia to cling to him desperately, responding to the kiss helplessly and opening her own mind as well.



Yunho was lounging on the sofa, tired from riding his horse, first with his friends and then with his sister. He was half watching an archive movie from old Earth about love. He understood the plot, being familiar with Earth history, but damn if even so it made any sense to him.

His little sister came running into the house, returning from her friend’s place. She was beaming up at him, waiting impatiently for his acknowledgment. 

“Yunho!”

“Yes, lazy one.”

“Lazy? I’m not lazy.”

“Then why aren’t you using your mouth to talk?”

“Details. I’ve got fresh news.”

She plopped happily on the sofa next to him, and started to tell him all about how she had just seen one of their neighbours locking lips with another girl from two streets up with whom the first girl had never talked before. She went on to report what she knew of all the people that were slowly finding their Linked Ones. Her favourites, apart from the kiss she had witnessed, seemed to be the cases when the link was between more than two people. Yunho listened to his sister with a fond smile. Her attention ended up on the movie that was almost at the end.

-I’ve seen this movie before. I like the two men couple better. Hey, you haven’t found your Linked One yet, right? You know, I think you should try to get together with Jaejoong. You two could be like that couple in the movie. I can already picture Jaejoong cooking for you, choosing your clothes…

Yunho stared at his sister.



Jihye was interrupted by her older brother laughing so loud that she was startled. Yunho laughed so much that he even fell off the sofa. When he finally calmed down a little, he had to wipe tears off his eyes. Jihye looked at him with a pout.

-Oh, Jihye. Are we talking about the same Kim Jaejoong? He may be shorter than me and very good looking but he’s the more muscled one and he can totally give me or Changmin a good fight. As for cooking… With ten sisters he never needed to lay a finger in the kitchen, I don’t even think he knows how to make a sandwich on his own. And Jae may indeed like to buy stuff but that’s about it. Comparing him with that guy on the movie is… It’s like… Like comparing Changmin’s mather with Yoochun’s cather or mother.

Jihye continued to pout at her brother, annoyed that he had laughed, but she couldn’t prevent herself from laughing at the last image. 

-That huge monster of a man with Yoochun’s petite moms? Oh, Yunnie…

-Well… What made you think Jaejoong could be my Linked One? He’s my best friend. Oh, and he has already found his Linked One, a ridiculously beautiful girl. 

-He did? I just thought… I’m so used to seeing you two together that I never thought it might change. 

-It’s not going to change. We are and will still be friends, silly you. 

-So, what about your Linked One? Will it be a boy or a girl or maybe more than one person? 

-I still have no idea.

-I hope you don’t have to wait five moon cycles. Remember how Junho’s Linked One waited five cycles until Junho went through The Connection?

-You know about that?

-Yes, I heard Junsu tell you guys the story. I felt sad for him. Everybody getting linked to someone and he was left all alone because Junho was still too young.

-Don’t worry. Even if it happens to me, it will be worth it in the end. Junho and his Linked One couldn’t be happier. 

Yunho started chuckling again.

-Jaejoong cooking. Oh, Lhara. I’ll have to tell him that one.



As soon as Yoochun got near to his house, he sensed his moms were home. His cather called him in his mind to go in. With a sigh, he obeyed. The two petite women were going over books, preparing the lessons for when school would start again. 

-Oma, Mom, hi.

He looked around at the scattered books with a smile.

-Don’t you two know this stuff by heart?

His cather got up with a serious expression and walked up to him, while his mother just remained sitting on the pillows on the floor, watching the two of them. Yoochun wondered what was going on. Had Changmin actually said something? He sighed. It wasn’t fair how Changmin’s parents had given up getting the stubborn guy to stop teasing them but his moms would never hear of him doing anything of the sort.

-We were going to wait until the adaptation period was over but we just can’t wait to tell you.

Yoochun was puzzled looking at the two enigmatic smiling faces.

-Tell me what?

-We are going to buy you a house.

-A house?

-Yes, a house just for you and your future Linked One.

-A house?!

Later in his room, Yoochun laid on his bed still amazed, thinking how awesome his parents were. None of his friends had talked about getting his own house yet. He concentrated and searched for his friends. Jaejoong was still invisible. Yunho was probably with his sister judging by his happy relaxed mood. Junsu was listening to music. Yoochun touched his bracelet.

-Junsu, guess what?

-Shoot!

-I’m getting my own house.

-What? No way! Already? How?

-Oma just told me. They have been preparing it for some time.

They chatted happily for a while. After disconnecting, Yoochun searched for Changmin. The young man seemed to be walking around, probably still in the town centre.



-Yoochun, why are you calling? I’m busy.

-If you were that busy, you wouldn’t have answered. So… what are you doing? Still putting your silly theory to the test?

-What about you? Still trying to figure out what goes into what? You do know you probably won’t need…

-Oh, Lhara, stop that, will you? I pity whoever ends up with you. Anyway, I called to tell you the good news.

-…

-Aren’t you going to ask?

-Why should I? Either you want to tell me and I can’t stop you or you don’t want to tell me and there is no point in asking.

Yoochun sighed deeply.

-Sometimes you really are no fun.

-That wasn’t what you said this morning.

-Fine, fine. Why on Lhara am I your friend?

-I’m adorable? – Smirked Changmin.

-Yeahh, right, sure. As adorable as a baby snake.

-Well, come on. What was so great that you just had to call me to tell me?

-Thought you weren’t going to ask?

-Chunnie…

Yoochun laughed. He could just picture the glare on his friend’s face.

-I think I just remembered why I’m your friend. And that is also why you will be one of the first people I’ll invite to my own house. 

-What house?

-I’m getting a house as a present cause my Oma likes how well behaved I am.

-…

-Changminie?

-You’re just a books worm, a sponge for useless information.

-Well, whatever, Max. My moms are teachers, I love learning, facts of live. Any ideas on what kind of house I should get?

-A library. Or a spaceship. You have no use for anything else.

-Oh, don’t be like that. But those are good points. I will need a big space for my books and a bigger one for the new spaceship I will get.

Changmin walked all the way to the end of the town as he talked with Yoochun. He had passed by people that he recognized from the adulthood ceremony that were starting to find their Linked Ones. 

-Max, what is it? Why are you suddenly so annoyed?

-I just recognized a few of our classmates. They are linked already. To some of the people that came all the way from the other side of the planet. That’s just… annoying.

-Why?

-They had never met before and now are inseparable. Makes no sense. I always assumed The Connection would figure everything out but… I still feel no different.

-Yeahh… I understand what you mean. I also haven’t felt any difference since drinking that thing.

-I keep walking near all these faces I never met before and nothing.

-Maybe it will be someone you already know.

-Then shouldn’t it be easier to find out who it is?

-No idea.

-Your knowledge doesn’t cover that? I thought you knew everything.

-Some people find their Linked One immediately after drinking the potion, others only several days after. Some realise it instantly as if struck by lightning, others gradually acknowledge it. I know that. Does it help?

-No.

-See? Welcome to my world. That’s why I’ve been studying . I don’t want to rely on The Connection only. And certainly not for everything. So tease away. 

-Not on the mood. I’m on my way home now. I’m just going to go up on the roof and see if I can find the green dragon I deserve.

-Deserve?

-Well, I am awesome.

Yoochun couldn’t help but laugh. Soon they hang up.



Yoochun considered sleeping, however he was too fired up to relax enough. He still had no idea if any dragon would touch him. Even his parents’s dragons eyes him sideways because they always saw him piloting spaceships. Then he remembered the one detail of all this adulthood adapting process that he could control. Picking up the paper with the notes Francesco had given him, Yoochun left the house and headed to the hanger where he kept the only spaceship small enough to bring near the house. He smiled broadly at the slick lines and shiny surface. Inside the machine, he depended on nothing and no one but himself, he was the one in complete control and he loved that.

Yoochun started the engines. This was a very noisy ship for such a small size. It always left him in a good mood to hear that engine roar. He took off high into the sky, being careful to set a course free of any nearby dragons. He broke out of Lhara’s atmosphere and headed for their moon, circlying several times just for the fun of it. Not something you could do with a dragon, right? Yoochun landed in his favourite spot, the top of a meteor crater with a view to Lhara and the huge space station orbiting around the green planet.

The spaceship in which their colony had arrived on Lhara had crashed and, deemed irreparable, it was used for parts to keep the smaller ships operational and to build the first shelters. Eventually, they had only kept even those ships out of sheer stubbornness and as a plan B backup if ever necessary. No one cared much about what had failed on old Earth anymore but they had gained a constant desire to not repeat certain mistakes. 

Yoochun admired the jade colour of the deep sea and the endless forests that made Lhara so different from blue Earth. Or even from the planets the other spaceships had found.
The other colonies had better luck with their landings, especially Seffren and Amanda, who had started out with huge space stations converted to travel and therefore had all the resources that implied. Even Tarpar and Carara still had the original spaceships operational, using it as space stations orbiting their planets.

The space station orbiting Lhara right now had been built as a collaboration between Seffren and Tarpar. It had been Heechul’s idea and so far it had proved effective, helping to promote a good relationship between the several colonies, after the initial tension from when interspace travel had restarted with the colonies who had fallen out of contact, like Lhara. Yochun observed lights of dozens of mining ships flying around. Some from Carara, some from Tarpar, most from Lhara and all destined to Seffren and Amanda who, in return, sent back their own products. 

He smiled. Soon he would be travelling to those distant worlds regularly. Best thing was that Changmin and Yunho would probably go too. Changmin had been assigned to security and Yunho to diplomacy. The two had no love of flying so far away from Lhara but it would be nice to have them around. Junsu as a doctor might also join. However, he very much doubted anything could make Jaejoong set foot on a ship now that he was free from the mandatory flight lessons. 

Yoochun took off again and did a few low flights over the moon’s landscape before he settled into an orbit course and the auto pilot. 



After going over the notes from Francesco, Yoochun had his own theory to test, so he checked several videos but none could hold his attention. Then in between the myriad of videos he came across videos of Asian men and he started searching those because they gave a sense of familiarity. When they went to the hot spring of the river Urbe most of the men were Asian. He was used to seeing that body type.

One of the videos finally had him try and watch everything to the end. The young man in the video was very tall, gangly even, his muscles promising to become bigger in the future, however the face was still a bit childlike. Yoochun watched him carefully and mimicked all this movements, curious with the air of challenge the man held. It was more of a smirk than a smile, as if he was teasing and mocking who ever made the video and whoever would see it. 


Yoochun removed his jacket to be only in his t-shirt like the guy on the video and relaxed on the sofa, his legs stretched apart and his hands slowly touching his body in an exact copy of the man’s actions. He was very focused, both on the video and also in analysing the feel of his fingers. It was pleasant, like a massage. Just a little bit tingly, a little bit ticklish. He had never touched himself like that, it was a strange type of touch, barely grazing the skin. He knew he was supposed to be feeling something more but so far nothing yet. 

Francesco had given him the idea that he should try and get an on his own. After all, they couldn’t get one before having the potion and, after that, everyone said they could only have one caused by their Linked One. Francesco simply asked if he was sure he couldn’t get one? Had he tried? That made him remember all the ion videos he had skipped because he deemed them useless. All his hours flying had taught him that some things you can’t learn from the books, you learn doing. He couldn’t practice all the knowledge he had accumulated until he found his Linked One but he definitely could try this. 

The video showed only the man’s eyes for a few seconds, the look even more challenging. When the image went wide again, he had one of his hands under the t-shirt and the other playing along the seam from the jeans on the inner side of the thigh. Yoochun did the same, smiling a little at the man’s nonchalant attitude. His fingers grazed his s and the friction caused them to react as if they were cold. Yoochun looked down, puzzled. His s felt a little swollen and sensitive. It was definitely not the same as when he was cold. 

For long seconds Yoochun continued to follow the video, slowly removing his t-shirt, rubbing his skin and his legs and groin over the jeans. It was pleasant. Now it did feel like a massage. When he removed his jeans, the difference between him and the young man was very obvious. His was the same as ever while the other had an impressive bulge in his tight boxers. Yoochun had a moment of frustration but he refused to give up. He remembered how Changmin had laughed that he was insisting on learning unnecessary stuff and his determination increased. Relaxing back on the sofa again, Yoochun continued to imitate the video. One hand remained travelling all over his body while the other started to focus on his more intimate area. The skin was smoother there. He had never noticed that. He had no hair as was the costume on Lhara and suddenly he wondered why they had that costume. A major part of the videos showed no hair so that everything was visible. Could that be it as well? He chuckled.

His continued rather stubborn, even if now it looked as if he needed to take a piss in the morning, but he was enjoying his hands massaging his and the sensitive skin around. He even closed his eyes to fully enjoy the new feeling. Yoochun forgot about the video for some time, wondering who would be his Linked One. A man? A woman? Which did he want? Was it possible that he would ever want a inside him like in the same male gender videos he saw? Or did he want a slender girl crying out? By the way, why were the women always so noisy? The male grunts seemed more pleasant, less grating on his ears. 

Noises from the video reached him then. He opened one eye. The tall young man was breathing more heavily, his eyes clouded, no longer challenging, in fact, they looked almost pleading for something in complete surrender. The man’s was impressive and almost vibrating in reaction to the hand motions. 

Yoochun’s mouth opened unconsciously and his own hand increased the rhythm over his . He pulled at it, rubbed the tip, scratched the underside, and squeezed his . He was even doing little things he had seen in other videos, not just mimicking anymore. His s sensitivity had increased, the friction sending little shivers down his spine. He rubbed one between his fingers with more strength and was rewarded with an intake of breath and a twitch in his . It was as if what he did to his skin reverberated all over his body but especially there.

Yoochun tested his neck. It caused goosebumps. Then slowly, with just his fingernail he traced from his neck, over a collarbone, teased a , and went across his stomach. Suddenly he was biting his lower lip hard, the shivers surprisingly strong. His was now full and his head lightheaded as if all his blood had left him to pool only there. 


Between harsh pants, Yoochun checked what was happening in the video. The guy was smirking again, looking at the camera from under his eyelashes, hand blurred by the speed with which he was himself, the other hand gently touching the inside of his legs and the underside of the . Yoochun immediately did the same, and his breathing became more rapid. He felt like when the five of them raced up a mountain, his lungs and legs threatening to give up, only his stubbornness keeping him going, telling him that he needed to reach that peak and find what was there. The satisfaction of having Changmin sulking that he had kept up with them was even sweeter than the amazing views.

The guy on the video changed tactics again, looking again as if he was pleading. The hand abandoned the fast rhythm and became lazy, just going up and down slowly. One fingertip rubbed the head of the , spreading the pre- over the entire length, teasing the size of it and going down, down, until to Yoochun’s surprise that finger fully slipped inside the entrance that had been neglected so far. The hand returned immediately to its fast speed while that finger moved at an equal rhythm. There was no mistaking the wet sounds and the man’s loud moans. 

Yoochun kept his eyes glued to the images, his entire body pleading and screaming to reach whatever it was that was still out of his reach. His hand was him hard, carelessly even. He was desperate. He knew he was close but it felt so distant and he panted and cursed because he didn’t even knew what it was that he was searching for. 

The video focused for a few seconds on the man’s face, particularly the eyes and that smirk was back before turning into the loudest moan yet, head falling back. 

In those seconds Yoochun finally realised who that man reminded him of…



His vision went black. His entire body trembled and convulsed. The feeling cursing through his entire body had him biting his lips, tensing his arms and legs and even his toes curled. He almost couldn’t breathe. Yet his hand still moved, the sensation too irresistible to stop. A wet gunky substance was spread all over his stomach and chest. His mouth was fully opened, eyes half closed, trying desperately to stop the tremors. His brain had disconnected. 

When Yoochun regained a little consciousness of where he was, his eyes jumped to the screen and he relaxed a little to see that it was now black. The video had finished. He sighed in relief. His hand was sticky. The feeling was a bit unpleasant. His was slowly going back to its normal size. A million questions were running through his head but he forced all of them shut. He cleaned himself with his t-shirt, picked up all the clothes and put them in the garbage disposal with a closed expression. Then he walked across the spaceship, still , to go and take a shower. 



With clean clothes and once again back in the pilot seat, Yoochun felt calmer. He flew back to Lhara but instead of going to his house, he turned off the loud engines and went to a nearby group of hills. His ship was now using only the magnetic system and outside he knew that at its loudest, all that could be heard was a slight “woosh” sound. He scanned a roof top for a familiar figure. Yoochun approached from behind, hovering above the ground. Then with all the engines at full power, he blasted over Changmin, flying purposely very low, deafening the man with the noise. 

Yoochun disconnected the engines again, returning to the magnetic system. Turning the ship back, he opened the front shields and hovered in front of a fuming Changmin who looked as if he wanted to kill him.

-You bloody bastard! Park Yoochun, get out of that stupid thing and get your bony right here. I’m going to kick you until my feet bleed. 

Yoochun couldn’t help but laugh at having pulled a successful prank on his friend. He looked at Changmin from under his eyelashes, unsuccessfully trying to hide his pleased smile, and with one finger signalled “no”, his head slightly doing the same movement. While Changmin continued to yell at him, Yoochun studied his friend apprehensively and paid all his attention to how he felt looking at the man. 

Nothing. 

His pleased face over the prank turned into one of surprise. Nothing. He had been trying to keep himself calm and not panic but here he was in front of Changmin and… nothing. Changmin was not his Linked One. He breathed in relief. At this point, after what had happened earlier, he maybe had to concede that there were high changes he would be paired with a man. That was ok. If he turned up being the mather he would just buy a house on the other side of Lhara, as away from Changmin’s teasing as possible. Yoochun looked over the young tall man searching one more time for any reaction. His friend’s body build, cute face, challenging attitude and trademark smirk were an exact match to the guy on the video but… nothing. Changmin was just Changmin as always. Yoochun started to laugh out loud. Changmin stared confused at Yoochun.

-What the hell have you been doing? Did you fly too high and your brain finally gave in?

-Hi, Max. Did you see your dragon?

-Oh, go away, you . Worry about your own dragon and leave me alone. My ears are still ringing because of you.

-Sorry… not. Good night. 

Changmin crossed his arms as Yoochun closed the shields and the ship flew away. The loud engines returned as soon as the ship crossed over the last house. He shook his head in annoyance. Sitting back down on the roof, looking once again at the spot where he had seen a green dragon, Changmin entertained himself thinking of how he would get back at Yoochun.

...