Chapter 21

Connections

Junsu grabbed Sarah’s hand and raced to Mira, waving at everyone and screaming goodbye. Mira lowered itself and Junsu jumped onto the dragon’s neck. He linked his legs and then turned upside down to grab his wife. Sarah laughed as she was pulled up and Junsu got them sitting straight with no effort at all. She cuddled into his lap, smiling and enjoying the gush of wind from taking of.

“Welcome back.”

“It’s good to be back, Mira.”

-What? – Asked Sarah with a completely bewildered face.

-What is it?

-Was that Mira?

-You heard it?

“Hello, Sarah. You are now a really Linked Pair. Good to see you reach your potential.”

-I heard that! I heard that!

-Really? Oh, Lhara, that’s great! Try thinking directly to Mira. 

-Ahhh… Ok, I’ll try. 

Sarah’s face scrunched in concentration.

“Hello, Mira.”

“Hello, Sarah.”

“Hello to you two! Can you also hear me, Sarah?”

“Junsu?”

Junsu grabbed Sarah and just kissed her and kissed her. They barely noticed Mira’s laughter. 



When the dragons landed, Changmin’s attention was finally diverted from the baby and even from his Linked One. Next to him, Yoochun returned Jun Woo to Lydia and he waited, looking at Changmin with an indulgent smile. Yoochun’s expectations were not disappointed. After a few moments, Changmin grabbed Yoochun’s hand and they were both running to Actor. In no time at all, they were flying high in the air moving away from everyone.

Yoochun felt almost intoxicated at having Changmin in his arms again. He embraced his Linked One and just enjoyed the feel of the warm hard body and the familiar scent. 
Their minds were silent but their mutual joy at being together again was loud and unmistakable. The joyous feeling had them both feeling giddy, which was very unusual for both men. 

Actor allowed his laughter to be shared with Yoochun. The pilot didn’t bother glancing at the dragon but opened his own mental link.

“Hi, Actor. Good to see you again. What’s so funny?”

“You two are funny. Always so busy fighting. But look at you now.”

“I know that for you barely a blink of an eye happened but for us it was half a year. It was a long time apart.”

“I know that, little one. But this time apart was a good lesson for my stubborn rider. You will like the softer edges it gave him.”

“I like my Changmin prickly. I don’t mind. ”

“I know you do. You are a great match and you are only going to become greater.”

Yoochun laughed at that. He felt Actor retreat from his mind and probably from Changmin’s too. The dragon was closing the mental link to grant them privacy. That made Yoochun wonder what his naughty Linked One had in mind. Probably he wasn’t willing to wait for further privacy. Yoochun smirked at that. After spending so long away, he couldn’t care less. He wanted Changmin and Actor’s back was comfortable enough and what was best, it meant not waiting. Keeping his thoughts slightly closed from Changmin, Yoochun started to softly rub his mouth and jaw along the rider’s neck.

Changmin yelled as loud as he could while Actor rose higher and higher into the clouds. He was feeling happier than he could remember in a long time. Behind him, Yoochun’s chest was glued to his back, the man’s arms were around his waist and a hot mouth was dangerously close to his neck. Changmin allowed himself to sag some of his weight against his Linked One. He let his head fall onto Yoochun’s shoulder, exposing more of his neck. Yoochun had a slight stubble that was pleasantly causing shivers as it rubbed his skin. The first kisses were more than enough to cause him to fully point up and be almost ready to beg. When Yoochun held him even closer and he felt how the pilot was pointing up as well, Changmin couldn’t hold back a needy moan.

-Yes, mine. And I’m going to reclaim every inch of you. Right here, high up in the clouds while Actor flies as fast as he can. When I’m done with you, you won’t have one single brain cell left.

-Damn you!

Yoochun chuckled at how Changmin’s voice came out breathy. Deciding not to wait a second longer, Yoochun pulled his Linked One to the dip in the dragon’s shoulder blades. 



Yunho silently stared at Blur with tears in his eyes. He had missed his dragon so much. He even forgot that Jaejoong was behind him for a while.

-Don’t just stand there staring at Blur like you never saw him before. How about a race?

Yunho was surprised to hear Jaejoong teasing him. His surprise was still on his face when he turned to smile at his childhood friend. He looked around, finally noticing that everyone had disappeared. They were the only ones still left. Suddenly feeling free and reckless, Yunho decided to answer the challenge.

-You’re on. Just don’t be upset when you lose.

-As if.

The two climbed on their dragons and happily flew up into the clouds.



Jaejoong was surprised when a full hour went by unnoticed. They spent their time flying and laughing, neither of them being able to claim victory in their mock race. When Yunho started to guide Blur lower and lower, Jaejoong followed on Sailor. He started to feel a little nervous, anticipating their time alone. It had been such a long time and yet he had just recently realised that he missed that aspect of their strange new relationship. He couldn’t help wondering if Yunho would jump on him as soon as they landed.

To Jaejoong’s confusion, Yunho landed near his parents’s house. Jihye came outside waving at them. 

-Hurry up! Dinner is ready and getting cold! We’re just waiting for you but if you take another minute I’m starting with or without you!

Jaejoong tried but couldn’t avoid a smile at Jihye’s words. She was really too spoiled and probably was a terror to her friends like Changmin had been to them. But he was confused. Why was Yunho coming her? Maybe Yunho had agreed before he saw that Jaejoong was free?

-Come on in. Join us. It will be just like always. You can even sleep over.

Yunho said those words already moving to the house. The last part was added already with his back to Jaejoong. Had he waited a little, he would have seen the absolute surprise in Jaejoong’s face.

Jaejoong stood frozen for a while, still trying to process what was happening. Yunho stopped at the door and called his friend.

-Jaejoongie, hurry up! I can smell the food already. It’s delicious.

Shaking his head, Jaejoong raced the short distance and entered the dining room on Yunho’s heels. He was welcomed as if he hadn’t stopped coming since The Connection. Everyone was behaving the same as they always had behaved when he came over to seek refuge from his huge family at Yunho’s house. Despite his initial confusion, very soon Jaejoong felt himself relax and enjoy the familiar friendly atmosphere. He joked with Yunho and Jihye and enjoyed Yunho’s parents’s attentions. 

A few hours later, Jaejoong was wearing one of his own old pyjamas that were kept in Yunho’s room. Under Yunho’s bed there was another one that could be pulled out and where Jaejoong always slept when he stayed over. Growing up, Jaejoong had tried to stay over at Yunho’s house as often as possible. Yunho had always been the older brother Jaejoong never had even if technically he was younger. It was only when he pulled that bed that suddenly Jaejoong realised that he and Yunho were no longer those boys. They were now adults and a Linked Pair. And the way he wanted to sleep with his childhood friend had nothing to do with their friendship. 

Yunho entered still drying his hair in a towel but already in his pyjamas.

-Oh, Lhara! I’m so tired! I could sleep for a full orange cycle!

-For a year? You were always a morning person. I doubt it.

-Don’t bet. You might lose. Ahhh! I missed my bed. Good night, Jaejoong.

-Ah? Oh… Goodnight, Yunho. 

Jaejoong was left baffled, still sitting on his bed and his mouth hanging open. Yunho was behaving like his old self. He had been doing it since he stepped foot on that ship but they were no longer talking through e-mails and video calls. Yet, Yunho was still acting only as a friend. It was a long time before sleep claimed Jaejoong.



Actor flew lower and lower but continued to try to keep the wind currents from affecting his two riders too much. Both humans were now quietly napping after exhausting themselves but the dragon could sense they were about to wake up. He landed softly near one of Yunho’s favoured small spaceships where he knew the human stored clothes and food. Changmin had been using it a lot lately so Actor had no trouble with the familiar location. He curled up and went to sleep. 

Yoochun was the first one to wake up. One of the blankets had slipped a little and the night breeze was cold. He cuddled closer to Changmin and then realised that he could snuggle with his Linked One and that he was really back on Lhara. He smiled as he looked down at Changmin. The taller one was sporting an incredible amount of love bits and his hair was all mussed up. Yoochun liked to watch Changmin sleep. The normally prickly man revealed his age and softer side when sleeping. Yoochun opened up his mind and had to hold back a laugh. Changmin was still mumbling in his sleep about fried brains. He couldn’t resist kissing those lips again. Still sleeping, Changmin surrendered fully to his kisses. Yoochun had to make quite the effort to slow down and stop. This time he thought they both deserved making it to a bed. 

Changmin was a tall man and with plenty of muscles. Still, Yoochun was able to carry him. Growing up having to try and keep up with his more physical friends had left Yoochun with unsuspected strength and resistance. It always came in handy to surprise Changmin, much to his delight. 

Yoochun placed Changmin on the bed. He almost laid down to claim his Linked One again but his stomach remembered him they needed food. That is how Changmin opened his eyes to find himself on a bed, a tray of food nearby and a smiling Yoochun lying next to him.



In the morning, Jaejoong found Yunho still behaving as the previous day. However, the diplomat decided to go to his own home on the forest edge and Jaejoong jumped at the opportunity to go with him, even if he noticed there had been no clear invitation. The journey was done in silence. Jaejoong was lost in thought and Yunho seemed to be as well. 
Jaejoong noticed how Yunho was surprised to see his home looked after. 

-Oh, well… you see… I came over a few times. Figured someone should clean the place. 

-Thank you, Jaejoong. That was very nice of you. I’m sorry that took time away from Lydia and Jun Woo.

-Oh, no, it didn’t. Don’t worry. 

The day continued peaceful and somewhat boring. Not that Yunho’s company was boring but Jaejoong kept expecting Yunho to do something but the man was being oblivious. As the night approached, Jaejoong decided he would have to breach the subject. He didn’t want a repeat of the previous night, especially since now they were all alone. But Yunho surprised him with an unexpected question.

-Jae, can you sense me again?

Yunho’s hopeful expression tore at Jaejoong’s heart.

-No. But Changmin mentioned being able to be aware of me again. Not like we were capable of but something like when we were kids. Hints of moods and guessing where the other is. Wait, you feel that too?

Yunho’s face managed to not betray his disappointment. Jaejoong, however, could practically sense it as if it was his own. 

-I felt something when I landed. This familiar thing but I couldn’t place it before. I just noticed it now that I knew you were about to enter the room before you did. 

-Sarah and Junsu sent a message sometime this morning that they want to do a check-up. The dragon water has caused some improvement but very slowly and very little. I really don’t believe I’ll ever recover The Connection. I… I would like to be connected to my son. I know he talks to Lydia but all I can hear is a baby making baby noises. 

Jaejoong couldn’t help the wave of sadness that overcame him. Then Yunho’s arms were around him and it was like coming home. He relaxed and allowed himself to hope that his friend’s comforting words might come true. 

Slowly, Jaejoong stopped paying attention to what Yunho was still saying and was only aware of the strong arms around him and the timbre of the voice close to his ear. He moved closer and shifted their bodies to fit better together. The second Yunho felt their groins making contact he jumped and was quick to say “sorry” and change the angle. 
Jaejoong lifted his face to look at the taller man. His confusion was evident. Yunho stared back. As Yunho realised Jaejoong’s confusion, he stammered to explain.

-Jae, I… look, oh, Lhara, how do I say this? You don’t have to… I mean… I’m ok now. I’m not going to fall apart like I did months ago. I’m really very happy to have my best friend back and I don’t want to do anything to endanger that. You are no longer obligated to… Ah…

Yunho’s stammering would have Jaejoong laughing if not for the meaning of his words. This was everything he had wanted months ago. What he still thought he wanted when Yunho went on the diplomatic journey. However, now, it was nothing like what he wanted. Yes, he wanted his friend back and was happy that they were talking so well again. But he needed more now. Jaejoong bit his lips and tried to gain courage. Yunho always bragged that he could read him like an open book. However this new feeling Jaejoong had was something that Yunho would never be able to guess.

-Yunho. 

-Yes?

-I want both.

-Both?

-I want to keep the friend I got back. But… I also don’t want to lose my Linked One. I’m still not the Linked One you hoped or deserve. My feelings remain confused. But I am your Linked One and I refuse to behave as if I’m not. 

Yunho remained silent for a long time simply staring at Jaejoong’s face. Finally, slowly, Yunho lowered his face and brought his lips closer to Jaejoong’s. The shorter man didn’t move away. In fact, Jaejoong parted his lips in anticipation and them. Yunho couldn’t stop himself. He kissed Jaejoong and reclaimed his Linked One.



Days turned to weeks. Life gained an air of routine once more. Weeks became a month, then two and three and more. 

Jaejoong had been feeling a little prickle of happiness for two weeks already. It increased a little when he was playing with his son but for some reason he knew it wasn’t because of Jun Woo. Then when he was with Yunho that little prickle of happiness was starting to become a full bloom of happiness. Strangely, that feeling didn’t seem to be his, as if he was sensing someone else’s feelings. It was strange. It made no sense. Jaejoong couldn’t analyse what it was or why. Sarah and Junsu had analysed his improvement but it couldn’t explain the strange feeling. He was yet to mention it to anyone. Right now it had become so strong that he actually woke up.

He tiredly sat up. It was almost dawn and he had just fallen asleep. Yunho had tried and nearly succeeded in keeping them awake all night long. The taller man moved in his sleep, searching for him, and Jaejoong settled nearer to the sleeping man, which he knew would help him continue to sleep peacefully. Jaejoong sighed and blushed, despite himself at how Yunho immediately stopped fretting, arm curling around his chest, snuggling closer to his body. 

Whenever Yunho noticed that he was trying to distance himself emotionally, the man would attack the only way he could at the moment. It annoyed Jaejoong but he was helpless against it. The damn man would keep them both awake in a marathon of until he had him underneath him, mindlessly writhing, , begging, pleading for more, any emotional barrier crumbled to dust. Jaejoong always felt like Yunho bared his very soul in those moments. He could only be thankful that there was no Connection or else he had no idea what his subconscious would be showing. 

Yunho moved restlessly again, lowering his arm down Jaejoong’s body and settling it around the small waist with a content sleepy sigh. Suddenly that strange feeling of happiness overcame him again. Jaejoong stared confuse and a little scared. In all his life, even during the few days he had been under the effects of The Connection he had never felt anything like this. Slowly he realised it was Yunho’s arm around his belly that was making him go all haywire. He even felt a stupid smile wanting to take over his face. What on Lhara was happening? The fluttering in his belly continued. It was almost as if he had a little bird in there. Then it hit him!