Being Fair

Unlucky Charm

Today when he picks up his bag to go to Geography something akin to dread settles in him. He's not being dumb, he decides, just that his sixth sense was stronger than he thought.

 

It's like this guy is bad luck on shoes.

 

He's not going to deny that his Geography has always been weak, but this level of confusion is much too high. That Guy is distracting, barely paying any attention with his constant tapping. The way he furrows his brows and pursues his lips when he pretends to pay attention is even more irritating, as it has some evil magnetic force that drags him away from the projector to stare at his (cute) dumb face. Like, how is that fair at all.

 

Therefore today he organises his table and his thought carefully, sorting out everything in the correct order. Today he will not acknowledge That Guy's presence, will disregard his tapping and not glance at his face. He is smart and hardworking and can do anything he sets his mind to (or so the teachers say when they sing his praises in the report books). This should not even be a problem. Today he will defeat the evil force who calls himself V.

 

Yet fifteen minutes into the lesson he's already lost, the beat tapped and hummed out happening to be one of his favourite songs from some indie band called Bangtan. Jungkook is, frankly, pissed off. Really, what right does this guy have to appreciate quality good music when half the time he's humming cutesy trash pop that Jin loves to bits (and so does he, but he has too much self-respect to say so)? He's almost certain that Bangtan needs no fans like That Guy. Why can't there be other fans of that band in their huge school? He's always been looking for someone to talk about their music and croak their songs semi-in-tune but no, probably the only other fan in their school is That Guy. Gross.

 

"Jeon Jungkook, question seven."

 

The teacher is now glaring at them. For the first time in two years, since stupid Suga somehow messed up the test tubes in the Chemistry Lab and caused a minor explosion. . He hasn't listened at all for the past five minutes. Cursing That Guy and his stupid stuffed lion and his stupid smile, he stands up and starts reading. The only hope of landing back in the teacher’s good books is through this answer.  

 

Someone up there must be completely biased against him because it sounds stupid and clunky coming out of his mouth, too long and rambling without any real focus. The teacher clicks at him and he wants to dig a hole for himself and just die. Why oh why is he bad at Geography, why oh why does That Guy even exist and why oh why does he have the misfortune to sit next to him. He should have never have requested to transfer. The teacher rips apart his answer, and he flinches as every stupid misconception is magnified and thrown in his face. He’s ashamed; the harshness is foreign to him. It’s not that he doesn’t try hard enough; it’s just that he really at humanities.

 

He sorts of feels like crying, but he’s stronger than that.

 

(Isn’t it really cowardly to cry over something as stupid as that?)

 

“So Taehyung, question seven.”

 

The teacher’s red lips curl upwards, and Jungkook wants to rip Taehyung’s neck out. So the teacher likes that devil incarnate, favours him even from the way her facial features soften. What does he have that makes him so great? Sure he’s got the face that makes girls flock to him, but his handwriting is terrible and his desk is forever a huge mess that gets on his nerves. Why should any teacher in the right mind ever like him as a student?

 

Then he starts answering, and it takes seventeen years of good self control to not grab at the penknife in his fifth pouch to stab him there and then. Someone up there isn’t completely biased, Taehyung must be his love child or something. There’s a ridiculous amount of polish for something scrawled in point from with spidery handwriting. How is that fair. That Guy isn’t good, he’s fantastic. He can already see the teacher giving him full marks with a gold star and tears in her eyes. Her head already seems like it’s going to fall out from all the furious nodding.

 

Just one more reason to hate Taehyung. It seems to multiply everyday.

 

“Sorry about that.” Taehyung whispers when he sits back down. Jungkook is far too angry at everything to answer. With a grumpy huff he shifts his table just a little further away from his, pushing the offensive stuffed lion back onto his table where it belongs. If he can’t win at studies, the least he can do is to be as childishly mean as possible to vent his anger.

 

But if he’s to be fully honest with himself, he feels just a little bad when Taehyung’s eyes go really wide and he pulls the stuffed lion onto his lap, gripping pens in both hands too keep himself from tapping away at his table. The table is definitely his space, but even then he feels like the bad guy here. Which is definitely Not True.

 

“You can hum, that’s okay.” It’s not okay, really, but denying him that is just unreasonable. Plus, if he’s just going to hum Bangtan releases he could almost appreciate it. That Guy’s taste in music was not completely appalling, to be fair.

 

“Really?” Taehyung is so loud that the entire class jumps in their seats, sleepy students jolted from their slumber. Jungkook shakes his head. Why did he even think Taehyung was not bad news, someone please send him to get his brain examined.

 

Quickly Taehyung pleases the teacher with a completely lame excuse that only teacher’s pets should be allowed to get away with, and that (thankfully) ends the annoying attention. That Guy is really bubbly though, humming another Bangtan song merrily while bouncing slightly. Distracting, but utterly cute. Stop right there, Jeon Jungkook. That Guy still stained your uniform.