Bad News

Unlucky Charm

Their first interaction is hate at first sight. 

Taehyung is so - ugh. His legs casually propped up on the seat next to him - his seat - and the way he had that annoying smile on his face when he put them back where they belonged. There's a stuffed lion on his table and oh god, he should have never ever requested to transfer to the higher class for Geography. What was he thinking, he should get his head examined. Still keeping a polite smile, he sit down before realizing that there’s a bag poking out from under the table. Taehyung grins and pulls it under his, before speaking so loudly that Jungkook is sure the entire class and the ones next to theirs can hear it.

 

“My name’s Taehyung, but you can call me V!”

 

“I’m Jungkook.”

 

V? What kind of name is V? What does he think he is, a vector? Distance over time? Some mathematical constant? Taehyung is a good sensible name, thank you. He’ll stick to that.

 

“Don’t mind this guy. He’s not a bad person, just too weird for life.”

 

Thankfully he recognizes the voice as Hoseok from his Physics class. He claps Taehyung or V over the head, forcing him against the table. Random shouts and squeals ensue before the teacher finally tells them to quieten down. He can hear this resignation in her voice, and that’s where he actually starts to freak out.

 

Does it mean this Taehyung guy is like – disruptive 24/7?

 

Jungkook suddenly wants to throw himself off the second-floor building. Or at least apply for a transfer to another class.

 

Unfortunately, his suspicions are absolutely right, as this guy taps his pen against the table, stopping only to stare outside the window before resuming his tapping. His table is absolutely empty- save the stuffed lion sitting at the corner. As Jungkook diligently takes notes of whatever the teacher says- it was his request to move to the higher class, after all, and he’s not going to lag behind- he can’t help but be distracted as that creature plays with the bottom of his lips.

 

And it’s most definitely not because he thinks that guy’s lips are attractive. They’re just- thick. Okay, plump. Like a girls, except nicer.

 

What on earth is he saying now. He needs to focus. All he needs now is a 4.0 for his Geography and he’s done. That’s it. No need to bother about that guy, just spend six months in class, get a 4.0, get the hell out of the. Preferably a seat transfer, but it’s not like him to make a big fuss about nothing.

 

Even though he’s actually not sure that you could call the mop of orange hair stuffed with distracting behaviors nothing.  

 

It’s okay. He is Jeon Jungkook. He has lived through Suga’s sass, Jimin’s mood swings, and Jin’s princess disease. One more weird person will not hurt. (Somehow something tells him that this Taehyung guy won’t be just another weird person, but he ignores that voice. That one’s evil. Yep.)

 

Nothing short of relief washes through him when the bell finally rings, and as he puts his stationary neatly in the right compartments (pens in the front pouch, pencils in the second pouch and erasers in the third,) a hand suddenly grabs everything and dumps his stationary in random compartments.

 

Oh. My. God.

 

“Isn’t that better?”

 

No of course not you idiot pens go in the front pouch and you put the pens in first and you make sure they’re all properly capped or clicked shut before you zip it up before you retract all the pencils and put them in the second pouch, you dust all the erasers clean before putting them in before you zip everything up and place it back in you bag.

 

Jungkook tips his entire pencil case over and starts again, carefully placing the pens in first. Such a waste of time, but everything must be neatly organized or he’ll go mad. He would have already been done if not for that meddling piece of-

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

Taehyung pouts a little, but Jungkook’s not in a particularly forgiving mood right now. That guy has distracted him through the entire Geography block and he does not forgive people for distracting him throughout the entire lesson even when they look genuinely sorry. Or look very cute when they pout.

 

But ten minutes into lunch break where he’s finally got his pencil case in order, he sees Taehyung still standing in a corner looking quite like a kicked puppy and he really doesn’t have the heart to scold him. Or continue ignoring him. What. Isn’t he supposed to be cold junior who ruled over the hyungs? When did he get so soft?

 

“It’s okay.”

 

That’s what he says, but he most definitely is not okay with this guy wasting ten minutes of his precious lunch break and that the cafeteria ladies would probably serve him whatever cold leftovers there were soaking up the oil at the bottom of the pot.

 

Taehyung smiles so wide that he sort of winces, moving as fast as he can towards the cafeteria. Better run before Jimin and the others think he was kidnapped by aliens and-

 

“Oof.”

 

He trips, but manages to catch himself right before he loses his first kiss to the concrete floor in the hallways. What the hell. He does not trip in hallways; those are reserved for people like Namjoon who can’t walk straight when they’re perfectly sober. Oh right. He was trying to move as fast as possible without running.

 

Science class tries to teach him not to jump to conclusions, but Jungkook is already 200% convinced that this Taehyung guy is bad news.