fight/flight

again, this chapter is un-beta'd (i have edited it a bit) but I was eager to get it out... I'm looking for a beta so... hopefully there won't be any more mistakes

 


 

The fighter does indeed slip into uni in the afternoon, sitting at the back of the classroom so he won’t be noticed. Mrs. Choi spots him though, and smiles encouragingly at him before carrying on teaching. He listens intently for half an hour, taking notes and trying to follow the lecture. He’s never really understood why they have to sit in a room and learn about old music rather than just get their instruments out and play. He’d much rather have a jamming session with everyone.

 

To be honest, he’s barely touched his guitar in absolutely ages. He wants to feel the strings beneath his fingers again, and pluck and strum out his emotions along the instrument. He chose music to get better at the guitar and find his own style of music and now look at him he’s earning money in seedy underground fighting clubs and taking money off people who could be crooks. He’s really angry at himself. He’s stupid really; falling this far.

 

The sound of chairs scraping against the floor wakes him up. When had he fallen asleep? He didn’t even notice as he watches the students leave in a daze. (There’s drool on his cheek too, how embarrassing.) Mrs. Choi is at her desk, sorting out papers when she spots Chanyeol still in his seat. She smiles at him again. “Good work today, Chanyeol,” he smiles back and laughs nervously. Did she not notice that he had fallen asleep? The redhead quickly packs his things and scurries out of the classroom.

 

The world is painted in orange and ochre in the setting sun’s rays when he leaving the building, bathing the world in a warm light. He’s barely out of the building before he sparks up a cancer stick.

 

“Those aren’t good for you, y’know,” Chanyeol tried not to jump ten feet out of his skin but failed, almost dropping his cigarette then trying to catch it in an odd game of hot potato. He grinned at Kris, the brunette striding towards him with an amused smirk at Chanyeol’s blunder.

 

“I know,” he says, suddenly remembering the other day, when Kris had questioned his bandages and bruises and he had later sent that stupid text. Suddenly, there was heat rising to his cheeks.

 

“Didn’t expect to see you here,” Kris states, standing next to him, watching the stream of smoke rise into the air.

 

“Well get used to it, I’ll be here more often.”

 

The taller noticeably brightens, smiling with his gums at Chanyeol. “Really?” He’s just like a kid, Chanyeol smiles back despite himself. He hears Kris muttering brightly something like ‘great’ and turns his attention to the bustle of the campus.

 

Chanyeol is so focused on Kris’s presence next to him, stable and large wrapped up in a long expensive coat, with the faint smell of his aftershave on the breeze. He’s pretty sure normal people don’t think about their friend’s aftershave so closely, he should probably stop. He doesn’t. It’s so nice, he kind of wants to bathe in it.

 

“Hey, do you wanna’ hang out?” The redhead stares at his friend, trying to study his expression. Kris seems genuine, like he does actually want to hang out with Chanyeol still, after all that’s happened. “I’ve got Jongdae’s car, we could go somewhere.”

 

It doesn’t even take a second for Chanyeol to decide. He stubs out his cigarette under his beaten Converses and strides off, Kris quick on his heals.

 

 

Jongdae’s car is old, rattly and messy. It’s small and cramped for two giraffes like themselves but Chanyeol loves it. He even loves Jongdae’s terrible choice of air freshener. He finds the best of Jongdae’s indie and ballad music and puts it on full blast, ignoring the disapproving looks from pedestrians. Kris grins and faux sings along as they speed out of the city and into the open countryside. The windows are down and he sticks his hand out childishly, feeling the wind pass through his fingers. They drive and drive, climbing higher and higher into the countryside until the city is just a cluster of skyscrapers in the distance.

 

They parked up in a gravel car park that spans off from the little road and sat stretched out on the grass, staring out into the vast horizon. Chanyeol was glad that they had stopped off along the way to buy food because now he’s starving. They had only bought snacks and small things but that suits him down to the ground, he eats happily, looking out towards the horizon and mountains that lie further beyond the city. It seems like he could cross the distance in one step if he was big enough.

 

Small talk filled the nearly nonexistent gap between them and Chanyeol learned that Kris was actually into rap and hip hop. He certainly didn’t expect that. He also learnt about this guy who was so pretty he mistook for a girl and nearly asked out. Lu Han for that was his name became a good friend in the end but Chanyeol was still maniacally laughing over Kris’s misfortune.

 

“You’re so dumb, hyung,” he said between fits of giggles. Kris grumpily ate his riceballs, his cheeks dusted with red, muttering ‘how was supposed to know.’

 

Chanyeol felt stupidly happy that he could enjoy Kris’s company even though things had been difficult between them recently. He was glad they could hang out like this like friends putting everything behind them. He didn’t want to stop and think for too long though, because then he’d be reminded about how more he had than friendly feelings for Kris, and he wasn’t going to make the same mistake twice.

 

They exhausted Jongdae’s driving music collection and resorted to the eclectic range of music on Chanyeol’s phone which Kris was quite interested in, saying he’d check a few bands and artists out when he got home. The redhead had already begun a mental playlist for Kris, remembering a range of bands artists that he knew of who’d suit his odd taste.

 

It had gone dark a couple of hours ago or so and being out of the city, Chanyeol could see the stars clearly, sparkling proudly in the sky. The city below them shone like a fake nebula and it makes Chanyeol wish he could’ve escaped out to the country more. There was so much to see and appreciate. The world is much bigger and more beautiful than just the confines of the concrete jungle.

 

“You can’t tell anyone about this spot. It’s my secret spot, okay?” Said Kris with an expression of mock seriousness.

 

“But it’s right next to the road, anyone could

 

“My. Spot.” Chanyeol laughed, punching Kris on the bicep.

 

“Whatever you say.” In the silence that followed, Chanyeol decided to be bold and ask what he had been dying to ask for ages. “That Kyungru guy is really into you…” So it wasn’t technically a question, but now it was off his chest.

 

“You mean Kyungsoo?” Oh, so it was Kyungsoo all along. Who would’ve known. “We’re friends,” Kris concluded with a nod, obviously expecting the conversation to be over.

 

“He’s with you all the time, and he stares at you. I think he’s got a crush on you.” Chanyeol hissed and Kris looked surprised, like he hadn’t noticed.

 

“A crush…?” Playing dumb only added fuel to the green fire simmering inside of Chanyeol.

 

“How did you not notice?! He’s totally got a crush on you!” Kris looked at him resembling a fish, eyes wide and mouth round and agape before he erupted into a howling cackle. He laughed long and hard, and stopping to breathe made him laugh harder. Chanyeol felt awful. What was so funny?

 

“Kyungsoo isn’t crushing on me! He’s got a girlfriend!” He felt heat cover his cheeks in embarrassment and he looked away moodily from Kris who was still falling about laughing. After calming down somewhat, he put his hand on the fighter’s shoulder, wiping away tears. “You’re funny, Chanyeol. We’re not even each other’s type.”

 

Chanyeol pouted further, kicking the ground like a scorned child. “I just nevermind.” Another blunder to add to the neverending list. What must Kris think of him?

 

“Chanyeol…” Kris said quietly, his tone serious making the atmosphere between them shift. When Chanyeol turned to Kris, he found the other man looking back at him, his expression sombre and intent. “Will you promise me, that one day, you’ll tell me why you were beaten up?”

 

He swallowed heavily, the blood seemed to drain away from him leaving him feeling hollow. Promise to tell Kris that he willingly participates in underground fighting for money and a creepy guy called Joonmyun? His lips trembled to answer. He wants to tell him, he wishes he could, but he just knows that Kris will not take the answer well. He does not want to lose Kris. “Promise me,” he squeezes Chanyeol’s shoulder and he caves in.

 

“Okay.”

 

Kris’s smile makes his heart feel immeasurably guilty.

 

“You’re precious to me, Chanyeol-ah.” The brunette whispers, like he’s afraid to say it and Chanyeol’s eyes begin to sting. Kris is precious to him too, so much more than he knows. “It hurts me to see you hurt.”

 

He slides closer to wrap his arm across Chanyeol’s wide shoulders so they’re pressed against eachother. Chanyeol feels so ridiculously emotional, he might burst. He’s happy, delighted, sad and afraid all at once, he doesn’t know what to do. His fingers tremble as they reach for Kris’s coat and latch on to the faux leather material. It’s all Chanyeol can do at the moment, lest he do something really stupid. Kris seems to understand though, holding him a little tighter. Chanyeol’s never felt so warm in a cold night before.

 

 

Things are a little awkward when Kris drops him back at his apartment, but pleasant with the promise of hanging out again. Chanyeol wants nothing more than to collapse on his bed and fall asleep. It’s been a tiring day and he’s looking forward to a good night’s sleep. He has no such luck however. When he steps into his apartment he finds a figure stood in his living room. The redhead practically jumps out of his skin, alerting the intruder of his presence.

 

Slick bleach blonde hair and a crisp expensive suit, it can only be one person: Joonmyun. He greets Chanyeol with a sweet smile which does nothing to ease his rapidly beating heart. How on Earth did he get in?!

 

“Good evening, Chanyeol. I need you to come with me.”

 

He decides to push his luck at risk of losing his head. “Why?”

 

“We’re visiting a business partner of mine.”

 

 

Visiting a business partner means going across into the rich, posh part of town in Joonymun’s rich, posh car. Needless to say, Chanyeol was more than a bit nervous, a million questions forming in his mind and he didn’t have the guts to ask a single one. They pulled up to a large mansion, with a long drive, trimmed and pruned bushes and a actual fountain in the middle. Chanyeol had no time to be dumbstruck, and was dragged out of his daze by a curt ‘come on, Chanyeol’ from Joonmyun. All the lights were off. Well they would be at two or something in the morning. Why did Joonymun want to see a ‘business partner’ at two in the morning.

 

“Now Chanyeol,” Joonmyun began, pulling him aside and placing a firm hand around Chanyeol’s bicep, almost threateningly. “I trust you’ll do whatever I say. Right?” His firm and deadly gaze held no room for argument. His chilly eyes shook Chanyeol’s core; he wouldn’t dare argue with Joonmyun. Unable to speak, he nodded vigorously which made his boss give his own small nod in approval. He followed the shorter man to the large, black door with it’s gold letterbox and handle.

 

“Break down the door.”

 

Chanyeol visibly blanched. What?! They were breaking and entering?! Joonmyun was serious, giving an irritated look over his shoulder at the fighter’s hesitation. He wasn’t even sure he could break down a door that size. But with a composing huff, he took on the door, busting the lock completely and falling into the threshold. The blonde smirked approvingly and stepped in after him, heading for the grand staircase. Chanyeol followed him blindly.

 

The house seemed empty until Joonmyun opened a door, stepped inside and the light, illuminating a sleeping figure on a large bed of silk. He waited behind his boss, shaking and sweating as the person roused from sleep by the light sat up. The person went from confused to horrified in a split second. They had broken into a rich fat man’s house and rudely woken him up.

 

“Suho-ssi!” the man quivered. “W-what are you doing here?”

 

Joonymun cocked his head to the side and Chanyeol felt a shiver run down his spine even though he was standing behind him. “Just checking up on you, my friend.”

 

The man somewhat smiled, stuttering out a ‘thank you’. “Checking up on my money too.”

 

If there was any colour in the man’s face, it disappeared instantly. Guilty. He looked wildly at Chanyeol and that’s when he put the pieces together. He was the muscle.

 

“What… money?”

 

Joonmyun shook his head like he was remembering a fond memory. “The money you owe me. It’s long overdue. I’ve been asking for it for a while now.” Joonmyun spoke calmly and arefully, the oppositate to a hesitant Chanyeol, who didn’t want to beat up some scared to fat businessman.

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about…”

 

His boss looked to the side where a large, ornate chest of drawers stood, a range of vases displayed on top. “They look expensive don’t they, Chanyeol?” He didn’t answer, but the trembling man looked terribly frightened that Joonmyun had brought them up.

 

“Break them.”

 

In a few long strides he reached the chest of drawers and with a long sweep of his arm, sent them all crashing to the floor. He has no idea how much they were worth, but judging by the anguished cry of the fat man, quite a lot.

 

“It’ll be you next Mr. Shin. Where’s my money?” Joonmyun’s face was devoid of all masks and pleasantries, his expression was positively stormy.

 

“I… d-don’t have it…” There were tears forming in his eyes and Chanyeol pushed down his guilty feeling down as deep as it would go. All it took was a glance from Joonmyun and Chanyeol was rushing towards Mr. Shin and yanking him from his bed by his pajama top and punching him square in the eye. He kept going and going until Joonymun raised his hand. Mr. Shin was bleeding from his nose and mouth, bruises forming across his face, tears falling ashamedly down his cheeks. Chanyeol swallowed. This man was looking up at him imploringly, begging the redhead for his freedom.

 

“I want my money Mr. Shin.”

 

“Y-you’ll get your money, I swear!”

 

“By Sunday?”

 

“Y-yes,” he hung his head in defeat and Chanyeol threw him to the floor carelessly.

 

“If I don’t get my money, I’ll be back.”

 

 

With that, they left Mr. Shin in a heap on the floor and Joonmyun drove Chanyeol back to his apartment in silence, where he kept thinking about what had just happened.