Scent of Winter

Scent of Winter
Please log in to read the full chapter

I wince as the blistering wind slaps across my face. Despite the layers of clothing I am wearing, the cold finds their way to my bones, allowing a shiver to run down my spine. I stare into the distance, the grey sky overshadowing the blanket of white that is fresh and crisp. It is a blank canvas, waiting to be tampered with footprints.

 

A monotonous voice blares over the speaker, announcing the next train’s arrival. I breathe a sigh of relief. Just one more minute. One more.

 

Then out of the corner of my eye, a figure stands a few meters away from me. She is wearing an ankle-length, white night gown. It is thin, too thin to be suitable for this wintry weather. However, she seems to be unaffected by the climate. Her long black hair reaches down to her waist, billowing behind her like a cloak in the bitter coldness of the wind.

 

A faint smile appears upon her chapped lips and she slips off her shoes with ease. Bare-footed, she makes her way so her exposed toes are just touching the edge of the platform. The faint thundering of an approaching train reaches my ears and the crowds of people behind shuffle eagerly forward.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter