Twelve

Decreasing Time

Bomi walked into her office she ran her fingers through her hair wondering how she let herself get to this point. She was too involved with the subjects, she knew what her job was she knew from a very early age. She lazily sat down into her chair wondering how she could make everything alright. She had that quality from her mother, trying to make everything great. That was the only quality of her mothers she possessed she hated herself for being so much like her father. She resembled him a little much, not only in looks, but in the way of dealing with conflict. She was just as manipulative as him if not more. She knew she met those girls for her own personal interest, not because she wanted to do something good.  She didn't want to save their lives, she wanted to end her own. It was as simple as that, they were her way out and she knew it. She crossed her arms over her chest, as she almost felt the pain of her heart telling it truth. She looked out her office window looking at the advertisements praising her father for running the city with such a kind heart. She looked down at the paperwork on her desk, she saw a familiar name, Park Chorong.  

 

"Why is she in this..." She looked at the picture of Chorong that was on the paper as an identifier. Bomi smiled as she couldn't help but find the girl cute, she moved her eyes down the paper reading the words carefully. "in need of termination." Bomi furrowed her brows. She crumpled the paper in her hand. "I'm in control of this right now..." She tossed the paper in the trash. She looked through all the others on her desk checking for names she held dear. She heard a knock on her door and sighed as she watched her secretary walk into the room. "Suzy..."  

 

"Yes, good morning ma'am. The executors are waiting for the confirmed profiles."  

 

"Ah yes." She looked down at the papers in her hand. "Here they are... and make sure you carry on the message that they should be careful, and execute the objective and little less obvious this time."  

 

"Yes ma'am." Suzy bowed before leaving the room quietly. 

Bomi walked out into the hallway, looking at all the workers who took orders from her. She sighed knowing what they all thought of her. She continued down the hallway until she reached the door she dreaded, she pressed in the passcode and entered. She watched as the techs looked over the actions of the citizens.  

 

"Did you get the profiles from the execution team?" She asked in a flat tone. "Bring up the first one." She didn't have time to wait for a reply, the tech brought up the image of a pregnant woman in her 20's.  

 

"We've been watching her closely, she first set off an alarm last month. But lately she's become more questioning of the city."  

 

"Hmmm"  

 

"Ahh... okay I'll continue. As you can see she's expecting." 

 

"Lots of people have children..." 

 

"Yes but she... she's been questioning the system." Bomi looked at the woman's wrist up on the screen.  

 

"Alright, reset her clock." Bomi looked at the techs. Today was going to be a long day.  

 


 

 

Chorong smiled as she walked down the street coffee in hand, she had a feeling today was going to be a good day. She wasn't entirely sure why but she knew that the smile on her face was a good indicator.  She say a woman struggling to carry her groceries, normally she would ignore this, but today she felt nothing could go wrong.  

 

"Here let me help" She smiled at the woman before grabbing some of the bags. "Where are you going?"  

 

"Oh my apartment is just up the street, thanks I'm sorry if I'm wasting your time."  

 

"Don't worry! I'm pleased to help."  

 

"Thank you it gets so hard with this belly in the way." The woman smiled at Chorong before picking up the rest of the bags. Her face dropped as she happened to catch a glimpse of her wrist. Chorong looked back confused as to why the woman wasn't following.  

 

"Everything -" Chorong's eyes landed on the womans wrist, she faintly say the flashing zero. She heard a car horn honk as she turned her head just into time to watch a car swerve to miss a stray dog. Chorong turned away from the lady and quickly ran, she heard the thud and couldn't bare to look back. 

 

"Chorong!" Chorong looked up with wide eyes as an out of breath Bomi ran towards her.  Bomi wrapped her arms around Chorong looking at the scene past the girl.  

 

"Why are you wearing a suit" Chorong barely whispered out. Bomi felt the dark haired girl quiver and assume Chorong was now crying.  

 

"You stay here okay... I'll go...." Bomi looked at the girl who still clung to her. "I'll go deal with this." Bomi glared at that driver of the car as she made her way towards the scene.  

 

"Have the cops been called?" She tried to ask in a concern voice. Something nodded their head clearly shocked from the situation. She turned her head hearing the sirens coming up the street. She continued to glare at the driver as she was preparing herself to try to explain the accident.  

 


 

 

"They said that the man wouldn't be charged... he was old..." Bomi explained to Chorong as they sat on Chorong's couch.  

 

"I know is saw the dog run across the street...." Chorong sat staring blankly ahead. Bomi didn't know what to say to comfort the girl. She wanted to curse the tech who went through with the execution. She ran the minute she saw Chorong on the screen, she know Chorong couldn't handle that trauma.  "Why do people die around me."  

 

"Chorong..."  

 

"Bomi... Everyone dies." She looked down at her wrist. She looked towards Bomi noticing her wrist was covered.  

 

"Chorong." Chorong lunged forward grabbing Bomi's wrist. Bomi began to panic, as she tried to pull her arm away.  

 

"Why are you hiding this from me... since the day we met..." Chorong closed her eyes trying not to think over the worst possible outcome.  She slowly lifted the clothing that cover Bomi's wrist, she opened her eyes slowly. "What... What is this?"