6. || Not A Stranger

Safest Place To Hide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

★ || 6 || ★

Selene couldn't take her eyes away from the little girl sleeping next to her. It was all her fault she hurt her arm. She promised her sister to protect but felt more guilty than ever that she couldn't. Selene glanced over to the chair the young man was sitting on and noticed he was looking. He hardly and barely knew her and yet he saved her life. Yonghwa forced a smile not sure if he should or shouldn't. He put down the paper that he was reading and got off the chair making his way to the bed Selene was sleeping on. “How do you feel?” he whispered tucking his hands in the pockets of the pants he was wearing. “Thank you” Selene whispered while tears were forming behind her eyes. Tears of gratitude. She did not want to think of what would have happened if he didn't show up. Herself and her little niece would have been injured badly or worse, dead. Yonghwa shook his head. “You don't need to thank me. You should thank this little girl right here” he whispered as he carefully her head. Selene gave the young man a confused look not sure what he was talking about. She glanced down at Nora who was sleeping so peacefully as if nothing happened and it all was just a bad dream. “I don't understand?” Selene mumbled as she her niece's long dark hair meeting her eyes with Yonghwa standing next to her bed. “She's been brave enough to call. I don't know how she did it, but she did” he answered softly sounding just as amazed as Selene was herself. She shook her head “She got into all of this trouble because of me. I shouldn't have waited. I should have left the house a long time ago. None of this would have happened” Selene whispered looking away not wanting to show her a tears in front of guy she barely knew.

“You shouldn't be so angry with yourself like that” Yonghwa whispered trying to assure Selene she did was she thought was best. “Look I have no idea what happened between you and this guy I don't know his name of and it's none of my business, but you can't be angry with yourself for the actions he did to you. He should have been a man. Man simply don't beat up women. At least that's not how it should be” he convinced her. “I was suppose to protect her” Selene mumbled between the sniffs as she was drying her eyes with the back of her hand. “He didn't change overnight. He was verbally violent for months. I just thought I had time, but I guess I didn't” she pleaded resting her head on Nora's. “You did what you could. It's not easy to get away from a violent place without putting your life in danger. Nora's a bright little girl. She's really smart. I did what I had to do. I couldn't say no and let it all happen” Yonghwa shrugged it off as if what he did was nothing compared to what Selene's little niece had done. “Nora's gonna be okay” he whispered giving her an assure warm smile. A smile she hadn't seen in a long time. A smile her ex fiance once gave her before he turned into a monster. “Thank you. You saved us out of that house” Selene whispered peering into the most gorgeous eyes she's ever seen. So soft. So warm. “How can I thank you?” she asked giving him a desperate look. He shook his head. “It's alright. Promise me you'll get better. This little girl needs you” Yonghwa smiled warmly. Selene couldn't believe it. All he wanted was her to get better, for Nora's sake? It was hard to believe but maybe not all men were monsters as she thought they would be.

Just when Yonghwa wanted to say something his phone started buzzing in his pants. It was his friend who was probably wondering why he still didn't come back to the house to watch his own little niece, Nora's friend Jinah. “I am sorry, I need to take this” he whispered excusing himself walking out of the room sliding the door behind him shut again. “Jonghyun-ah” Yonghwa said as he picked up his phone. “Are you coming to pick up Jinah? She has been spending the night here and is asking when you come to pick her up. Plus I have to be in the office in a hour. I can't be late” his long time friend Jonghyun excl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter