3. || Broken to Pieces

Safest Place To Hide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

★ || 3 || ★

As soon as they were finished Selene paid the bill and took Nora on her hand outside to the car, because she needed to go to her ballet class after all. Selene never left the girl by herself, instead she always took time to stay in and watch her practice. She would help her dress into her ballet dress and would help her get back into her casual wear too. It was such a joy to see the smile on her face when she knew that her auntie was watching. Nora was proud that her auntie didn't miss any of her classes. No matter how much the little girl was smiling, Selene saw herself whenever she looked at Nora. Behind the innocent smile was a broken hearted little five year old who wanted a place to call home. Selene felt sorry for Nora. She never knew her father, and her mother started drinking and doing drugs whenever she was walking around in diapers. Selene felt it was her duty to protect Nora's life while she could, even though it hurt her to see Nora's mother being taken away from her, even if Nora's mother, was her sister.
 

Right after ballet class Selene kept her promise and took the little smiling lady to the ice cream shop in the mall. “I can choose what I want right?” Nora cheered as her eyes grew big looking at the many choices behind the glass. Selene nodded. “No more than three scoops, you know that right?”. Nora looked up at Selene. “I know” and looked back at the ice cream in front of her. A smiling young man walked over to help them. Selene didn't want to take the order and always let Nora do it herself so she could learn. The young man by the name Minhyuk hovered over the counter to look at Nora. “How can I help you?” he smiled with the brightest one on his face. “Strawberry, Melon and Chocolate” Nora answered shyly. “Three scoops?” Minhyuk smiled as he held up three fingers for the little girl in front of him. Nora just nodded looking at him strangely as if she wasn't clear enough.
 

“Aigoo” he chuckled and grabbed a plastic cup to put in the three scoops of ice cream. He walked around the counter to hand it to the little girl. “Don't tell your umma that I gave you extra” he joked with a never ending smile on his face. Nora's face just lit up knowing she had more than usual and a huge smile appeared on her face as she got a little speechless. “Don't you have to say thank you?” Selene reminded her little niece standing next to her. “Thank you” Nora smiled shyly taking a big spoon full of ice cream and shove it in . Just when Selene wanted to pay, the young man behind the counter shrugged it off “It's on the house. You come here every week right?”. Selene blinked her eyes taken aback not sure what to say. She never saw this young man in this shop before, what did he know? “Are you sure?” she asked feeling somewhat bad not to pay for Nora's ice cream. Minhyuk nodded. “It's perfectly okay. It's my treat” he smiled once more at the little girl who clearly enjoyed her extra big scoops of ice cream. “Thank you so much” Selene smiled and took Nora out of the ice cream shop while the young man behind the counter was waving at Nora. For some reason, Nora got shy and she barely was.

Selene let Nora quietly finish her ice cream before she drove back to their house. Selene was anxious not knowing what state she would her fiance in. Better said, she could not remove the image from earlier out of her head. Once she pulled up in the driveway and looked in the back mirror she found Nora fast asleep with her head leaning against the window. A smile appeared on Selene's face. The last thing she wanted to do was wake her up. She quietly stepped out of the car and carefully took the sleeping girl in her arms. In reflex Nora tightened her little arms around her auntie's neck and continued to sleep resting her head on her shoulders. Selene took Nora's bag with ballet gear and closed the door and locked the car with the key. She dropped the bag and walked straight to Nora's room to get her to bed and took her jacket, shoes, socks, hat, everything off and tucked her in. “Good night sweetheart” Selene whispered kissing her forehead before she quietly left the room.
 

The second Selene walked out of Nora's bedroom, Youngwoon was standing in the middle of the door post with his arms crossed in front of his chest. “Can we talk?” he begged. Selene shook her head. “There is nothing to talk about” and walked into the kitchen to get herself some water. “I am sorry Selene, about earlier” Youngwoon attempted to apologize, it almost sounded sincere and it nearly looked he had come to his senses. “Oh you're sorry? That's it?” Selene hissed looking angrily at her fiance. “Who do you think I am? I am not that stupid Young” and took a big sip from the glass of water. “How long has this been going on between you two?” she continued putting the glass back down on the counter. “Selene this is not what you think” Youngwoon continued letting out a heavy s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter