1. || Pancakes

Safest Place To Hide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

★ || 1 || ★

“See you tomorrow Selene” Minah cheered from across the department Selene was working. Selene waved at her dearest colleague before she took the elevator down to the lobby of this massive office building. “Bye! Don't forget to tell me how your date went” she shouted back throwing her thumbs up before she stepped into the elevator accidentally bumping into a complete stranger. A handsome looking man all dressed in a silky suit. Must be new? A man she never met, was he new? “Sorry about that” Selene smiled nervously apologizing for not paying attention where she was going and corrected her glasses and suit and looked at her watch. “Shoot” she mumbled to herself. How did time go so fast? It was not part of the plan to stick around in the office for so long! ‘Youngwoon is going to kill me' she repeated in her head. Why is it when you want to hurry up everything goes in the opposite way and works against you instead?
 

Finally the elevator made it to the ground floor. Selene couldn't wait to get out of here since she was behind schedule, again. She rushed out of the building as fast as she could and fastened to her vehicle in the garage throwing her purse on the passenger seat before she stepped in herself. “I'm sorry Nora. Your auntie is running late again” Selene whispered to herself and stepped on the gas as soon as she left the garage. As soon as she arrived at Nora's elementary school she parked her car as close as she could locking it. She looked to her left, to her right and quickly crossed the street where her little niece was waiting in front of the gate with a few other little kiddies who were waiting for their mummies to pick them up.
 

By just looking at the little girl's face, Selene knew she wasn't amused. “You're late again” Nora pouted. Selene tucked her hair behind her ear and went through her knees. “I am sorry cupcake” and corrected the little girl's hat and scarf. “Auntie lost track of time, I am really sorry” she apologised once more looking at her little niece before she straighten up again taking the girl's hand in hers. “You always say you're sorry but you're still always late” Nora continued to complain as they carefully crossed the street and stopped next to the car. Nora being only a 5 year old, she sometimes had the attitude of an adult. “You always remind me on that huh?” Selene chuckled while she opened the door. “I am sorry I have been lacking to be an example to you, but I promise everything will be different from now on”. A smile appeared on Nora's face. “Okay” and she climbed into the car sitting herself in the car seat while Selene buckled her in safe and secure and walked around the car to step in herself.  Before she started the engine she looked back at her little niece with a smile on her face. “Now let's go home and eat real delicious dinner. You know what day it is today right?”. Nora nodded with a big grin on her face clapping her hands together. “I know, I know. It's Wednesday”. “And you know what that means right?”. “Uhuh” Nora nodded kicking her little legs in excitement. “Pancakes!” she squealed.

As soon as the car was parked on the driveway in front of the house, Selene opened the front door while Nora ran into the house squealing. “Pancakes! Pancakes! Pancakes!” as if she had an overdose of sugar. She even left her jacket on after taking her shoes off. Selene closed the door behind her shut and stumbled into the kitchen finding her fiancé reading the newspaper. “I'm home” she whispered kissing Youngwoon hello before she was taking out everything to make Nora pancakes. By the look on his face, she could tell he was not so amused. He had a bad day in the office? Selene decided not to say anything, because if he was in a bad mood she always tried to ignore him and it would blow over.
 

While she started to bake the pancakes, Nora was in the living room playing by herself like she always did. Youngwoon rose from his chair and walked into the kitchen to talk. “Honey, when is your sister going to pick up that kid of hers?” Selene blinked her eyes cleaning her hands on the suspend. “What do you mean? You know that Nora has to stay with us for a little while, my sister is in rehab, she can't take care of Nora right now. I am the only sister she has”. Youngwoon crossed his arms in front of his chest. “She's been here for more than a year. I've had enough of this kid invading our privacy. Is there something I should know? Your sister is never going to get out of rehab is she?”. “I have no idea what you are talking about” Selene quickly answered trying to avoid the conversation.
 

Subject ‘sister’ was a little sensitive to her, because unlike her, she never learnt to deal with the past. “Selene, why are you ignoring the question. I am right yes?” Youngwoon asked once mor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter