Chapter One: Shoemin?

Coffee Girl

Coffee Girl

 

Chapter One

 

Shoemin?

 

 

 

Tall, short haired, snappy, and rude. That's me, Shin Yoori.  I’m known for my quick and biting mouth. Coincidently, my name means glass, something that’s delicate but hazardous and deadly when broken. So evidently, people call me Broken Glass, a nickname I got for “cutting” people, mainly bullies, down with my sharp retorts and comebacks.

 

My father owns the sole coffee shop in our small town of Chungju, a town famous for festivals and, of course, my father's coffee. He is proud man, with many tricks up his sleeve when it comes to brewing, grinding, and tasting coffee, or whatever baristas do. Personally I'm not interested in coffee; I don't even drink it.
 

All I know is when someone bothers me, I bother them right back. Unless you’re my father.

“Ms. Shin, if you could please turn your attention back to today's lesson and not your day dream, that'd be great.”
Or if you’re my teacher...

“Yes Sunsaengnim...”

• • •

It was annoyingly hot outside. Walking into my home, a small apartment right above our coffee shop, a gust of hot and bitter welcomed me. Hot, steamy coffee was brewing, my father was busy roasting his coffee beans to his level of perfection.
 

It’s worse in here. I need to get out and catch some fresher air. . .
 

“Ah, Yoori, come here.”
 

Damn it. He spotted me.

 

“Appa, hello. How's the coffee today?” I smiled at my father who didn't bother to look up at me from his little coffee beans.

 

“Bittersweet as always.” He grinned. “How old are you now?” He turned up the heat of the brewer, watching it turn the coffee beans.

 

“APPA!” I yelled a little too loud; nearby costumers peered over at me. Feeling the costumer's ears targeted on me, I leaned closer to him. “Appa, I'm your only child. You should know my age!” I flicked him in the head. Sheesh.

 

“Ow,” he jumped back a little. “I know, I know.” he said rubbing his forehead. “You are 17. Almost all grown up.” He pouted.

 

“That's right, so stop treating me like a child, Appa.” I stood up, straightening my back and crossed by arms proudly.

 

“Exactly. Time for some responsibilities around here.” He stood up straight. I was as tall as my father. 170 cm to be exact. He was naturally a short man and shrank even more due to his old age.

 

“Responsibilities? Like what?” I look at him quizzically, worried that he was about to take away all my free TV time. He turned off the roaster and looked at me.

 

“Starting tomorrow, I want you to train to become a barista.” His voice was very serious.

 

“A what?!” I was shocked. “Wait Appa, I don't even like coffee! How can I make it without even tasting it?!”

 

“That's true," he sighed. "But we'll make you like it,” he added. 

 

“Appa! No way! I don't want to make coffee for the rest of my life!” I countered loudly.

 

Costumers began to stare again. I flashed them with my piercing eyes. They don't call me Yoori, the broken glass, for nothing.

 

“It's my life! I should choose what I want to do!

 

He rolled his eyes. “Well lookie here. Whose money raised you? Gave you food? Shelter? A cell phone? Hmmm?” Tricks for coffee weren’t the only tricks up his sleeve.

 

I rolled my eyes. “You did Appa.”

 

“Who gave you money to get your ears pierced? Who took you to the doctor when you were sick? Who-”

 

“I get it Appa!” I cut him off, “I get it. . .”

 

A smiled formed on his face. “Good. Remember, your training starts tomorrow.” He picked up the bowl of newly roasted coffee beans and brought them to the far counter to be brewed.

 

He won again.

• • •

As annoying as my father was, I couldn't say no to the man who raised me all on his own. It was Saturday morning and Appa had scheduled me to start my training with his apprentice. He apparently went to my school, but I never took any interest in my father's work or his employees.

 

I walked down the stairs leading to the coffee shop, I tied a brown apron around my waist. In yellow letters it said Shin Coffee Shop on it. I walked over to the front counter. It was 7am, and I was grumpy and tired. “Yoori reporting for duty.” I yawned, my words muffled.

 

“Ahh~ Yoori Donseang! Ready for today's lesson?” A too-cheery-of-a-morning voice answered me.

 

When I opened my eyes after my gigantic yawn I saw a familiar face smiling at me. Zoomin? Shoemon? I tried to remember the boy's name. Getting a closer look at him, you could see his almond eyes were light hazel brown, like coffee beans. He had perfect, white teeth. “Yoori? Hello?” he waved his hand across by eyes, trying to catch my attention.

 

I snapped out of my trance. “Ahh, Shoemin Oppa?”

 

He smiled. “Xumin Oppa,” he corrected

 

I didn't like him. No matter how perfect his teeth were or how cute he was, I had to wake up at 7 every Saturday to see his energized, smiling face. And that was enough to make me dislike him.

 

“Ahh, is that so? Xumin...Gotcha.” Heh heh...oops.

 

I started to giggle. Shoe. Shoemin.

 

“What are you laughing at?” He asked defensively.

 

“You're name: Shoemin. Like shoes on your feet in English or shooooe min into a photo.” I laughed out loud. He didn't join in. 

 

He gave me a stern look. “Your dad warned me about your immature personality, but I didn't think it was this bad.” He let out a sigh, just like my appa.

 

I twitched. “Immature? Immature eh?” My appa, what a jerk. “I am not immature. I just think you name is funny.”

 

“And that's not immature of you?”

 

“No.”

 

“Really?”

 

“No shoe! It is not!” I giggled at the sound of his new nickname. Shoe. Ha!

 

“You are so not funny.” He put his hands on his hips.

 

“I'm hilarious.” I replied with one hand clutching my stomach and the other holding onto the edge of a table for support.

 

 

Hello! Welcome to a new series by ExoWolfClan and Put-da-light-baek-on

 

We are doing a series about Xumin since he rarely gets enough spotlight. Through this fanfic, we want to show you why he deserves more spotlight!

Tell us what you think!

We hope you subscribe!

:)

P.S. If you see any grammatical errors, tell us so we can fix it. Annie here gets OCD with that. ;)