It was written to be

You are what you love, Not who loves you

Life resumed as normal. In public Luhan and Minseok were the same as they had been, laughing together, fretting over the same tests, sitting together at lunch and mutually agreeing that Baekhyun needed to be stopped at all costs. But when no one was looking, they let their gazes linger a little too long, stole glances from across the classroom, sat a little too close to each other, played footsie under the lunch tables, and brushed their fingers across each other's as casually as they could.

Luhan lived for the moments behind closed doors. He lived for the after school evenings, warm lips pressed against his own and fingers entangled in Minseok's feathery hair. They never spoke about it; they didn't have to. Minseok's arms would slip around his waist effortlessly, innocent eyes peering up into Luhan's with absolute adoration. They mumbled soft, sweet words against each other's mouths, each kiss soft and tasting like home. 

"You're cheating!!!! I know it!" Minseok said, playfully leaning against Luhan as he lost another round of Street Fighter. It was a Friday night at Minseok's place, sitting around in their pajamas and dicking around. "You can't be this good! It's unfair! At least let me win once, I won't even pretend that you didn't throw it for me." Minseok pouted at Luhan and flopped his head into his lap. 

He leaned down and placed a kiss on the tip of his nose. "Sorry, Baozi." he said softly, smiling with earnest adoration. Minseok continued gazing up at him, almond eyes locked on Luhan's. He reached up and cupped his hands around Luhan's face, his cheeks with his thumbs. Luhan's breath hitched in his throat. Every touch from Minseok still sent electric currents through his veins and turned his heart into a generator. He felt heat rush to his cheeks and attempted to turn away, but Minseok's hands held him firmly in place.

Minseok pulled his face down and gently grazed his lips against his, as shy and nervous as if it were the first time they kissed. Closing the millimeters of distance between them, Luhan pressed their lips together and pulled the other fully up onto his lap. Grabbing fistfulls of his shirt, Minseok pressed against him harder, wrapping his legs around the taller boy. The heat between them gushed out in warm, overflowing waves, seemingly filling the room with radience. His chest was full of warmth and light, and Minseok was his sun. Luhan poked his tongue at the other's lips, eliciting a giggle from him. Lips parted and their tongues embraced in a frenzied haze, intoxicated off of the taste of each other and velvety fingers against the napes of their necks.

Luhan broke away, gasping for air and pressing his forehead against the other's. "You taste like coffee." he giggled, pinching Minseok's round cheeks. He laughed and buried his face into Luhan's shoulder. "You're cute." he mumbled, grinning and placing a small kiss on his neck. Luhan simply picked him up and carried him to bed. 

Wrapping a blanket around the two of them, Luhan snuggled against Minseok's chest. They wrapped their limbs around each other, needy for affection. Fingers entertwined and lips met once more for a sweet goodnight kiss. 

"Luhan," a small voice asked into the darkness, rubbing cricles in the other's back with his thumb. "What are we?" 

Luhan swallowed the massive lump in his throat, and shakily gave his response. 

"Friends."