I Like You

The Touch of An Angel

        I nod my head to the beat of the song, headphones probably a little too loud. A pair of thin arms wrap around my shoulders. I pause the music and pull my headset to rest around my neck. 

        "You listen to Justice?" comes a perfect, silky smooth voice. The vibrations send chills through my spine.

        I swallow a lump forming in my throat. "Yeah," I say slowly. "They're awesome."

        "What's your favorite song?" Hyuksoo is almost purring.

        My knee bounces. "Probably "DVNO" or something." I'm going to explode heart-first. Cause of death: overwhelming excitement and nervousness at the voice of Lee Hyuksoo murmuring in her ear.

        He stands and sits on the couch next to me, our knees touching. My bouncing leg is stilled by a large hand resting a bit heavily on my thigh.

        "I really like "Waters of Nazareth" and "On'n'On"," he whispers.

        I have goosebumps all over and my stomach is flip-flopping to and fro. His tongue those full, beautiful lips of his slowly. I want to scream. I want them on mine again.

        Is this ok? Am I ok? Why do I suddenly want him to kiss me so much?

        Because it felt good that day in your apartment, even if it was just a few seconds.

        His forehead comes to rest on mine and I feel my fingers tighten around my phone. He looks at me, mouth moving slightly.

        I can make out the words, "You look beautiful."

        I am probably already quite flushed, but I can feel my face growing redder.

        He closes his eyes, his breath warm on my neck. He kisses the tip of my nose gently and then I can feel his nose bump mine a bit. His lips ghost over mine and he tilts his head to the right. One of his hands slips into my hair and the other squeezes my thigh a bit more.

        He pushes my face closer to his and our lips meet. I try to keep up with the pace he's moving his mouth against mine but I feel a bit awkward. I keep shrinking away, so he backs off a little. I pull him back closer by his shoulders. I relax into his touch, finally closing my eyes.

        We stay like this for a while. I don't want to let go and break this kiss. I want to stay like this forever.

        I reluctantly pull back to catch my breath. I know my face is absurdly red.

        "Chaerin-ah," he whispers. "I really like you."

        "You do?" Of course he does, idiot! "I mean, yeah."

        "If I've made you uncomfortable . . . I will leave you alone."

        "I've been wanting you to kiss me like that for a while."

        "Really," he says rather than asks. His hands cup my face and his thumbs my cheeks lightly.

        "Does that sound weird?" I ask sheepishly.

        "Not really." He pauses. "I've wanted to really kiss you for a long time, too. Does that sound weird?"

        "Not really," I smile. "I like you, too, Oppa." He takes my hand in his and our fingers intertwine on my knee.

        "You have the mostly lovely little hands," he says dreamily. His large hands are a little bit cold today. I cover his hand with my other one. "I just want to hold your hand forever. They're so warm and inviting and comforting." He looks up at me. "Just like you."

        I'm blushing. Do people even blush?

        "Your hands are cold today," I frown.

        "I don't know why."

        "I don't like that they are. I will keep you warm."

        "I would really love to spend more time with you. Would you like to?"

        "Certainly." I'm suppressing a happy squeal.

        "Lee Chaerin, will you go out with me?"

        I'm frozen, staring at the wall past his head. His brow furrows and he waves his hand in front of my face.

        "Are you ok?" he asks. "Chaerin-ah . . ." He places his hand on my shoulder to get my attention.

        "I would love to go out with you," I hug him. I feel like I'm going to cry.

        I let go and pull my knees up to my chest. I lean my head on his shoulder and his arms wrap around me, pulling me closer. I bury my nose in his chest and breathe in his natural scent. He smells wonderful.

        "You always smell so nice," I mutter.

        His voice is a deep rattle in the cage containing his heart. "Thank you," he laughs.

        He kisses the top of my hair. "Your hair is so soft. It looks really pretty down."

        "Do you think my pigtails are too . . . young for me?" I ask, biting my lip.

        "Not at all! What makes you say that?"

        "Oh, I don't know. Maybe because I always wear them, and traditionally little girls do, too."

        "I think they're adorable and you rock them so well."

        I can't help but smile. "Thank you," I say.

        He kisses my forehead. "Do you want to do something today?"

        "I just want to stay like this for a while."

        "Ok! I'd love to."

        I tilt my chin up and kiss him again. We can't stop giggling and neither of us know why.

        "What's so funny?" he says against my lips.

        "I'm just really happy."

        "I am, too."

        I close my eyes and cup his face with my hand. His arms tighten around my waist and I can feel his long digits lightly squeezing my hipbones.

        "Oh." Hyukshin's standing in the kitchen, starting at us. Hyuksoo breaks the kiss and  we both turn to face the boy. "Um, hi."

        "Hi," we chorus.

        "I won't tell anyone," Hyukshin says. He's about to drop his Popsicle from the shock of seeing his Abeoji and Noona making out on his couch. "I'm five; who am I going to talk to?"

        I laugh a little, starting to relax.

        "So, are you together?" He's got a better grip on his Popsicle now.

        "Yes, yes we are," I smile back at Hyuksoo.

        "Yay." And with that he scurries back into his room.

        Hyuksoo and I fall into another round of giggles.

        "He's the cutest little thing ever," I smile.

        "He's so strange." Hyuksoo shakes his head in mild disbelief.

        I grin again. "You know I'm really glad I met you and Hyukshin."

        His wide eyes are looking at me in surprise. "Really?"

        "Really."

        "You're so sweet, Chaerin-ah."

        "Ah, hahaha," I chuckle. He's so nice.

        He kisses my forehead again. "I'm sorry for kissing you so much."

        "Oh, I don't mind."

        I break the silence that has come over us. "How long have you liked me?"

        "Well," he says, "I started to when I met you, but I think it really got serious at the park. What about you?"

        "The moment I laid eyes on you, I'd say. But I have to ask, what were you doing in that bush?"

        "I was catching my breath. I don't know, it looked cozy in there."

        I laugh loudly. He sounds like a little boy explaining how he got stuck in a closet or something. "You're adorable, Lee Hyuksoo."

        I can feel him shake his head against mine. "I'm weird."

        "And what am I, then?"

        "You're. Lovely." He boops the end of my nose with his finger on each syllable.

        "You're really pretty from down here. Sometimes I don't even think you're real."

        "Ah, really?"

        I nod. We stop talking again. He plays with my hair, putting loose braids in it and pulling them out again. I fiddle with the extra pockets of his jeans. I like just sitting so close and spending some quiet time together. Sometimes I like quiet.

        I snuggle up closer to him. This is a little unfamiliar to me, cuddling with a guy I'm not related to, but I like it.

        I start to fall asleep a little and he wraps his arms around me again.

        "Rest well, Lee Chaerin," he whispers.