He Hugged Her

The Touch of An Angel

        "Hyukkie! I'm bored. Let's go somewhere, the three of us."

        Shin looks up at me from my lap and smiles. "What did you have in mind, noona?" he asks.

        "I want to go outside. Is the park ok with you guys?"

        Hyukkie plants a kiss on my forehead and sits on the floor next to us. He ruffles the little boy's hair, leaning his head on my shoulder. I smack his hand away.

        "I just combed his hair, and here you are messing it up!" I scold him.

        He chuckles, wrapping his arms around us. I snuggle into his wings and lean my head on his. Hyukshin's warm little body squeezes in between us on both of our laps and he sighs happily.

        "Wait," the little one says a while later. "Are we still going to the park?"

        "Please, Oppa?" I pout.

        "Of course. I don't mind."


        "Subin!" Hyukshin says suddenly from the backseat of the car. I turn around and smile at him.

        "What's up, bud?" I ask.

        "I think I saw Subin." He's grinning out of the car window.

        Almost as soon as Hyuksoo parks the car, the little one jumps out of the car and runs away. Hyukkie shrugs.

        "I guess he found her," he grins. "Don't worry; I've got an eye on him."

        We get out of the car and his hand slips into mine. I grab my hat from the backseat and snap it onto my belt loop. Hyukkie walks toward a bench, but I tug his hand in the opposite direction.

        "I want to get on the swings," I say.

        "Sure," he smiles.

        I sit on one and kick my legs. "Push me, Oppa!"

        He laughs and kisses the top of my head. He pulls the swing back and starts to push me. I smile, feeling the wind and sunlight on my face. He gets onto the swing next to me and we try to see who can get higher by pumping our legs. I drag my feet to slow down and he does the same. I look around the park for Shin.

        "He's with Subin on the little kid playground," Hyukkie says.

        I find the two of them, sitting with their backs to us at the top of a slide, heads together and talking about something I can't make out.

        "Aren't they the cutest thing ever?" I ask.

        "Yeah," he says wistfully. I slip my hand into his and he smiles.

        I get off the swing and sit on the ground under one of the slides and he joins me, laying his head in my lap and holding my other hand as well. I stare deep into his  doe-eyed gaze and I lean down, touching my lips to his. He smiles gently and lifts his head to deepen the kiss.

        He pulls back after quite some time and stares up at me happily.

        "What?" I ask.

        "This makes me happy. You make me happy. I knew I was missing someone in my life, someone else I could spend time with. You've been so great to Shin, and I don't know what I did to meet a girl so lovely as you."

        "Oppa, you're wonderful to me. Tell you the truth, I fell in love with your son. He's a great kid, but you already knew that. But do you really think that about me? That I'm lovely?"

        "You're perfect."

        "Thank you." I his cheek with the back of my hand and he grins.


        "What do you want to do?" he asks. I thought he fell asleep, but I guess he just closed his eyes.

        "Well . . . I . . . " I rest my forehead against his and close my own eyes. "You're so warm, and you always smell nice."

        "I've been sweating," he says sheepishly.

        "You still smell nice."

        "Ew," he laughs.

        "Don't say that! You have your own special scent, and I really like it, because it's you."

        He laughs a bit louder. "Ah, it sounds so weird!"

        "I guess so sometimes. What do I smell like?"

        "Lee Chaerin."

        I swat at his head. "Really, now!"

        "That's the best way to describe it! It's you, and you always smell nice, especially your hair. I just want to bury my nose in it all day."

        I smile. I tug on his longish hair.

        "Do I need to get it cut?"

        "It's your look. Maybe later in your career. It's like Jonghyun Oppa's signature haircut: just past his ears, straight, parted down the middle, and a chestnut to dark brown color."

        "Hm." He shrugs. "Ok!"

        "Cutie."

        "Goddess Divine."

        "I can't top that!"

        "You don't have to." I lie down next to him, my head on his shoulder. He turns over so we're facing each other.

        "I still can't believe it," I say.

        "What?" His brow furrows.

        "You and I . . . I'm so happy, Oppa. Do you know that?"

        "I see it in your shining eyes."

        I sit up again. I blink a few times, and he lifts my chin in his hand, just holding my face. I smile down at him.

        "Hey, where's Shin?" I ask.

        "He and Subin are on the smaller jungle gym," he says. "Want to go over there?"

        I nod. He gets up and hold out his hand to help me up. I take it, but he pulls me onto his back and wraps my legs around his waist.

        "Don't do that!" I say. "I'm too heavy."

        "I've been working out," he says, kissing my hand dangling over his shoulder. "All you'll never be too heavy for me to carry you. That's a promise, my dear."

        "What if I gain a bunch of weight?"

        "Then I'll get just as fat and we can roll around together."

        We laugh together. "I love that show!" I grin

        "I would do that for you."

        "No, you wouldn't."

        "Oh?"

        "You're a model."

        "Yeah, and?"

        "You have . . . an image . . ." I know my words are lost on him.

        "I don't care that much about my image, tell you the truth. I just try to look nice for you."

        "For me?"

        "You helped me get the job, remember? And, I . . ."

        I rest my cheek against his. He almost trips over a rock. "What's that?" I ask.

        "I like to impress you," he says quietly. His eyes meet mine out of the corners.

        "You already do. Just seeing your wonderful face is enough for me."

        "Really?"

        "Really."

        "Lee Chaerin-ssi!" Subin runs over to us as we approach.

        Hyukkie puts me on the ground and I kneel down to hug the girl. She runs into my arms and buries her face in my shoulder. She hugs Hyukkie the same way, and then she takes our hands and pulls us to the jungle gym. I climb up and sit on it next to Shin and he sits on my lap.

        "I feel like I haven't seen you in forever," the little girl says, clasping her hands under her chin.

        "Yes, it has been a while," Hyukkie smiles.

        "Where's your mommy, Subin-ah?" I ask.

        "I'm here with my cousins. They're all a lot older and they're over somewhere else."

        "Oh, I see."

        She nods, her dark hair falling in her face. I look down at Shin and wiggle my eyebrows. He looks away and shakes his head in embarrassment and feigned anger. I kiss his forehead and he grunts lightly. He smiles good-naturedly and brushes at a bug on his arm to shoo it away.

        "Lee Hyuksoo," I say firmly. "You're the only one on the ground. Come up and stop being a loner."

        "I'll break it, or myself."

        "No, you won't. Just come on!"

        "Abeoji, you'll be fine. Come up! It's fun."

        He reluctantly nods, and climbs onto the structure next to Subin. "This is kinda rickety, yeah?" he asks nervously.

        "No," I shake my head. "It's fine."

        "How should I address you?" Subin asks.

        "You can call me unnie," I smile.

        "Oppa is fine for me," says Hyukkie. He hugs her out of nowhere and she giggles.

        "Thank you, Oppa!"

        I smile myself. "Subin-ah, you look very pretty today."

        "Not as pretty as you, Unnie."

        "Much prettier! I like your dress the best."

        "Thank you very much!" She smoothes her dress over her small knees proudly. She can't hide the grin on her face.


         "Subin-ah! We're going home!" a boy wearing a Korea National Team jersey calls, tossing a black and white football to another boy.

        Subin frowns, then climbs back down to go to her cousins. "I have to leave now," she says sadly. "It was nice talking to you today. I'll go first." She bows to us.

        "Yes, it was nice seeing you again, Subin," Hyukkie and I say.

        Hyukshin jumps down and hugs her, holding her for several moments. She hugs him back happily before running away to go home with her cousins.

        He watches her leave.  Hyukkie leans in closer to me and looks at me with surprise.

        "It might have been nothing, you know?" I say a bit nervously. "Little kids love everyone. Gender means nothing to them; they don't care whose hand they hold or who they hug because friendship is what's most important. He might really like her, but he might just be sad to see her go."

        "But still!" he whispers. "He jumped down quickly to hug her and rested his head on her shoulder."

        "I do that to my friends."

        "He doesn't hug kids his age."

        "You do know him better, I suppose," I laugh.

        He pretends to thump my forehead. "I only raised him, that's all."

        I shrug. "Eh, whatever." I bury my face in my hands and laugh harder. He chuckles a bit, too.

        "Hey, Shin, did you want to play some more?" he asks.

        "No, thank you." Hyukshin smiles faintly.

        "We going home, then?"

        The little boy nods and we head back to the car and drive back to my apartment.

        "You boys hungry?" I ask, tossing my keys on the island.

        "A little," they say, joining me in the kitchen. I open the refrigerator and look for a snack. I reheat a pasta dish and we eat that, then fight over the remote for a few hours.

        I can't stop thinking about Hyukshin hugging Subin at the park. I look over at him a few times and grin. What a little womanizer.

        I his messy hair and he sits in my lap, watching the movie with me and Hyukkie.

        Subin and Hyuksin are my favorite thing right now. Those two would be perfect if they were a lot older.