Chapter 1

Serendipity

April 14, 2014

The loud beeping of the heart monitor have been monotonous for the last 5 years, the room has been the same for the last 5 years. The boy lying in the bed with his white hospital gown stirred in his sleep and slowly, very slowly opened his eyes. He groaned when the sudden brightness entered his eyes for the first time in a very long time. 

Once Yixing adjusted to the light, he looked around his hospital room. It seemed quite big, of course it was big, Yixing's parent's would provide only the best for their little angel he thought to himself. He wondered briefly where they could have been. Yixing knew and remembered that he got into a car accident on his way to their Senior High graduation just after exiting the art shop where he got the graduation presents he was going to give to his friends. He looked around the room more, he looked at the clock. 9:00am. It was early, he was glad he recovered quite fast. He looked around some more. He stared at the calendar, "2014" it said. Yixing knew it was only 2009. Probably April 13 or 14,2009 if he had been out for a while. He concluded that maybe the calender just involuntarily got its pages flipped. He had this nagging feeling but the door suddenly opened and a woman came in, a nurse.

"Oh my god." 

The nurse stared at Yixing like she had seen a miracle, she turned so red and tears started forming in her eyes. Yixing found it quite odd, but smiled kindly to the nurse. She must have been so scared. 

"Uh, good morning." 

Yixing smiled kindly.

"Mr.Zhang, you're awake. Please stay there for a moment, I'm going to call the doctor."

Before Yixing could respond, she left the room and then doctors suddenly came in and everyone's panicking. 

"Mr.Zhang, how are you feeling? Would you like some breakfast?" 

"Mr.Zhang, we've called your parents and their coming over as soon as possible."

"His vital signs seems stable, his wounds have healed. This is a miracle. No one expected this."

He just nodded, stared and stared some more at the people coming in and out of his room, he felt dazed like he had always felt during Math exams. He wondered where his parents was, and where Yifan was. He made a mental note to tell his parents to contact him as soon as possible. He waited until the doctors excused himself and only the nurse was left inside the room, slowly turning off Yixing's heart monitor and gently removing the IV from his veins. He felt so thankful to the nurse, it felt like it's been a while since he was touched by somebody. He caught sign of the calendar again.

"Oh, the calender must have gotten flipped involuntarily. It's already on 2014. It makes me confused."

Yixing lightly commented. The nurse looked at the calendar and looked back at Yixing. It was the first time he saw so much pity in one's eyes.

"No Mr. Zhang, it has not been flipped by the wind nor was it flipped carelessly...you just woke up 5 years after your accident."