#4! Where the words that are spoken tend to mean more than what you hear

Boys In Luv

Work was one of those fun-filled days with Jaebum and I pouring over the account books, matching up penny for penny of every purchase and earned dollar. Jr would flutter in to take reports back to Mark, dropping off energy drinks and sugary snacks. Once Mark caught Jaebum and I staring wistfully at BamBam playfully messing around in the garage below, we were working full-tilt. It was a crazy day.

I had lunch with our fearful leader, nibbling a salad while he poked at his sandwich. "So, Jaebum tells me you have a no-dating policy?"

I nodded, not wanting to make it seem like a big deal. "I've just had a lot of failed relationships. There's no need to mess up my life further with that stuff. You don't date and work with someone."

Mark leaned over and whispered conspiratorially, "I told Jaebum we had a no-dating policy between employees."

My eyes widened, "We never signed any--" Mark winked and then I understood, "--oh, OH! Thanks boss."

"That one is stubborn and will never give up," Mark continued to munch thoughtfully on his lunch, "Although, I can't say it'll stop any others."

"Others?" I hope he hadn't seen Jimin.

"Oh, you know how it is when you work with men in an area that is usually male-related." When I gave Mark a unwavering look, he relented. "Guys talk, okay? Jackson never stops talking about the way your hips sway as you walk or Jr about your full lips--You really didn't know?" Mark laughed at my open mouth, "Maybe I should write up a new policy."

I waved my hands in front of me, "No, it's fine. I'll handle it, I promise."

Handling it included sweet-talking Jackson until he got close enough that I could yell at him and even then he just stood there with a self-satisfied smirk. Jr didn't even listen to me as I glared at him and instead just fluttered his eyelashes and gave me flowery compliments. I couldn't even punch Jaebum because he's the one who got me the job here.

By the end of the day, I was more interested in hanging out with the younger staff. "You know that Mark has a thing for you too, right?" Innocent Yugyeom ratted quite easily.

I began to rub my temples, "I'm going to go work in an all-girl staffed diner."

"Oh, you'd look so cute in one of those outfits," sighed Youngjae dreamily.

"Don't even start," I snapped.

Why was I always the last to know?! It probably shouldn't surprise me, however. It's not like I hadn't experienced boys keeping information from me and keeping it between themselves before.

***

"...and Sug--where's Suga?" I peered at Rap Mon, who began to scratch the back of his head, meaning he was hiding something," Namjoon!"

"I don't know, okay!" He shouted back at me. He began his next sentence in a lower tone, "He's been gone for a couple days."

My lips pursed to a thin line. "Why wasn't I told of this?" Jhope opened his mouth to explain but I shut him up before he could distract me with one of his long winded speeches, "No, this is not acceptable. V, when's the last time you saw him?"

V looked hesitantly to Jin. I began to lose my cool. "Who's in charge here? You report to me. Now go!"

"He was at the Bulletproof," Jungkook broke first, being the youngest. Jimin moved to hit him for the betrayal but Rap Mon stopped him.

"Then I'll start my search there," I announced briskly.

"Wait, Rose--!" Jhope protested.

I gave him my best reproachful eye, "Unless you can tell me why Suga isn't here, I'd advise you to keep your trap shut."

Jin consoled a grumbling Jhope by patting his back. "At least take Jimin with you for some muscle," Jin suggested. He raised an eyebrow at me when I didn't agree immediately, and I responded with a curt nod.

"If I find out that you guys are hiding something from me again, I'll not hesitate to cull some of you. I will have no distrust between us, do you understand?" I could hear my sister's words coming from my mouth. That disturbed me.

Jimin whined behind me about my pace as I stalked our streets. Suga had caused a huge fight at the Bulletproof or so the disgruntled bartender told me. Suga had been club-hopping so Jimin and I were in and out of bars, no one daring to stop us because of who we were. It didn't stop a few idiots from attempting to hit on me but either Jimin's fists or my knife dissuaded them.

At last, we discovered Suga in one of our hidey-holes, nursing some wounds. I crouched before him and the idiot had the audacity to smile at me. He winced because of the many cuts that peppered the sensitive skin of his lips. "What's got your 's in a bunch?" I tsked at him, wondering why in the world he was fighting beyond his normal tendency.

"No reason," Suga replied, avoiding my eyes. I wasn't buying it.

Jimin was leaning against a rickety wall behind me, "Don't try to bluff her today. She already blew up at Rap Mon, Jhope and V."

"You yelled at V?" Suga chuckled and then groaned as he clung to his ribs, "Whose the one who has their in a bunch?"

I grabbed Suga's head in my hands and physically turned his face to me. "I know you're crazy but you always knew when you'd lose a fight. So explain to me why you traversed the length and breadth of this city until you had the living snot beat out of you."

Still, Suga kept his silence. I looked back at Jimin, who had been snickering, ready for a scene to bloom and then smoothed his face and shrugged innocently. Someone was going to spill their guts. Whether I had to use my knife or not was the question.

"Sug, do not make me repeat myself." The shadow beneath my words sent a chill down my own spine. Suga couldn't be apart of my gang if he couldn't respond to my commands.

"There have been some nasty rumours about you, Rose. Saying instead of recruiting men, you're--" Suga closed his mouth, unwilling to say anything bad about me. Next, he showed me his devilish smile that meant he had literally gone crazy with anger during his mission. "I showed them the truth."

I chewed on my lip. Suga had laid out his display of loyalty like a proud hunter with the corpse of his prey. I felt my heart swell with pride. But a leader could not have such soft feelings floating about. "I swear to god if you knew about this Jimin, I'm cutting off your balls and hanging them from your nose."

"I didn't--I--" Jimin's voice cracked and Suga guffawed, hurting his ribs even more.

"And you!" I jabbed at Suga's chest, well aware he was bruised from head to toe and that I was probably making it worse. "Don't even think of doing this again."

End of story. The boys always let me know what was up, good or bad. And Suga? I sent Jimin ahead of us to report that we were on our way and to prepare some medical supplies. I supported Suga during the long and excruciating walk back to our base of operations.

"You know I couldn't let them talk like that about you," came Suga's heartfelt confession as we reached our base. This was his version of an apology, which was the best I was going to get from him.

"Then you should have known I wouldn't let you your wounds alone, you dumb dumb," I retorted.

Suga smiled again, a slow and smooth one. "That's because you're my girl."

"I'm no ones," I denied venomously but Suga was already waving at Rap Mon.

"You know he likes you, right?" Jhope nudged me with his elbow while I watched over Suga, who was currently snoring away.

"Jhope, do not start any drama," I growled at him.

Jhope sent me a wounded look and slunk away. These boys were always playing pranks on me, being one of the only girls.

***

I wish I could have told my younger self that I would always be the last to know when it came my life and the decisions fate made for me.