Chapter IX

School of Gods

 

Class began, and each of the students within were already tired and bored of the lecture that was currently taking place on ancient mathematics. Even some of them who found themselves to be interested in such a thing saw themselves slowly drifting into dreamland as they couldn’t forget about the current competition that was taking place that very day.

That just meant that ancient mathematics was not nearly as interesting as it should’ve been when every student were too busy thinking about who was going to take part in the competition and what it was going to be. And of course, the teacher had realised it, but understood.

Besides, it was only the instructor who knew what it was going to be and which students would be opponents.

If you cancel it out, there was only five students it could be.

Kyungsoo, Sehun, Kris, Chanyeol and Lu Han. Since Chen had been put out of the competition, it meant that there was one other contestant who would be put in a weird place. But the instructor said nothing about it.

Waiting was killing each of them who some were in their own little world, and others were talking with each other. The teacher had eventually given up trying to teach the impatient students, allowing them to talk amongst themselves until the instructor came to collect them for the fourth round in the competition.

One particular student was trying to ignore everyone around him due to yesterday’s embarrassing situation. Luckily, no one but the other student involved had said anything.

But now Zitao was seriously re-thinking his decision to even talk to Kris.

“Zitao, come on, at least talk to me! I already said I was sorry!” Kris was in the middle of trying to get the younger to talk to him, or at least, even acknowledge him, but it didn’t seem to be working. After class yesterday the boy stormed off home, and as soon as he entered the class he had had his head in his arms, refusing to look at anyone especially him. But Kris was restless. “Please Taozi?!”

As soon as that name slipped past his lips, Zitao’s head shot up from his arms, and the most death fulfilling glare made its way into the boy’s eyes, heading straight for Kris.

At least Kris was getting some attention now. Trying to stop himself from grinning at the boy, he just stared back, waiting until Tao stopped glaring.

“Do not call me that.” Zitao commented back, a snarl nearly coming out of his mouth.

“But I thought that was the name we agreed on?” The blonde said, acting confused although he knew it was just because of the embarrassing situation yesterday. However, that wasn’t going to stop him. “I’m sorry about the whole note thing yesterday, but can I still call you Taozi?”

Zitao bit his lip as he stared at the other’s rather cute face. Wait. No. That thought did not go through his head.

Moving on.

Quickly.

Just as he was about to respond – with what he would like to think would probably be a refusal although he wasn’t that sure – the instructor appeared at the door and smiled at all the students who were too relieved to see him. With a smirk, he spoke to the entire class.

“Can all of you please come to the gym? Round 4 of the competition is ready.”

Everyone entered the gym, muttering amongst themselves as they thought of who was left and what challenges they would have to face. One student in particular who was excited about the next challenge was Baekhyun – even though he had already been bested in the last round.

But that didn’t ruin his spirits one bit. Besides, it was him he was excited for – it was his friend Chanyeol, who was one of the ones still to go. And so, he was trying to get Chanyeol excited also, but the other seemed more worried than anything.

Chanyeol was wondering what it was. Was he going to have to fight someone? Actually he didn’t mind, but he knew that Baekhyun wasn’t that type of person, at all.

And he didn’t want to disappoint him at all.

So he was more or so hoping it was something more like yesterday’s challenge. But then again, he wasn’t really good with riddles or anything of the sort. He was very indecisive and not at all quick-witted - it was part of his nature and personality – and that might not be the best challenge for him also. This was what was infuriating him because at this point, he didn’t want to do it.

Chanyeol looked over at the other students who had yet to have the chance to shine in the tournament. There was Kris. There was no way Chanyeol would willingly go into a fight with that one.

The god of silence versus the god of strength? Nope. That was never going to happen. Looking over at Kyungsoo, he didn’t really understand the other’s personality, nor did he even remember which God he took after so he couldn’t make any assumptions.

Then there was Sehun who was good with a bow. Which Chanyeol was not. That was a bad decision to make, he’d probably just forfeit that match too. And finally it was Lu Han who was also left.

He had no idea which sort of battle would arise from those two being put against each other. Especially since Lu Han probably didn’t have a mean bone in his body and was completely the opposite of Chanyeol.

Before he had any more time to contemplate, he was hit on the arm by the smaller one beside him.

“Hmm?” He said absent-mindedly, smiling a little at Baekhyun who was chuckling at him and his blank face. “Did I say something?” Chanyeol wondered.

“Did you not hear a word I just said?” Baekhyun wondered, smiling even though he was ignored. When he received a shake of the other’s head, all he could do was laugh heartedly at Chanyeol’s adorable guilty expression on his face. “Don’t worry, it was nothing important. Clearly you were away in a different world.”

Chanyeol smiled softly again at his only friend at the academy, knowing that he didn’t really deserve someone as understanding as the boy beside him.

And he knew how lucky he was to have him to. So he was going to try really hard to keep him as a friend, because god knows what would happen if Baekhyun left Chanyeol on his own. Nothing good anyway.

“Everyone listen up!” The instructor suddenly shouted as everyone shifted their attention away from each other and to him. “Time to start round 4 of the competition which will include a game like no other.” Looking around, he suddenly pointed to a student and motioned him to come up beside him. “Kyungsoo will be the first opponent, and facing him will be… Chanyeol!”

Chanyeol’s eyes popped open at the sound of his name being shouted and almost instantly turned to Baekhyun who was smiling at him. But he froze. He wasn’t good in front of crowds.

As he stayed still, Baekhyun nudged him up and pushed him towards the instructor. Otherwise Chanyeol wouldn’t have moved.

Finally standing beside the instructor, he looked up at Kyungsoo who was currently staring right back at him. Probably trying to intimidate him or make him uncomfortable – which unfortunately Chanyeol was at this point. Because he could feel everyone’s eyes on him. Add that with the mysterious battle that was about to ensue, Chanyeol felt like he was about to faint.

“Okay, so considering what the both of you do in fact have something in common, we shall be focusing the battle on that attribute alone.” The instructor explained before turning around and looking at the two boys who were currently in a staring competition by the looks of it. “Guys?”

Both of them turned away from each other and looked at the other. They were both curious as to which attribute the instructor was talking about, and what the competition would entail.

“The attribute you both share is silence.” He explained, both of the students just became immediately more confused at the statement. “So, the battle between you two will be a…”

Everyone in the room was waiting to hear what it was intently.

“…A laughing contest.”

Silence erupted in the room as everyone thought about it. Chanyeol stared at the instructor with an extremely confused expression before looking over at the other student to see what he was thinking about it. But it seemed that Kyungsoo looked the exact same as him.

“Now, please me to the table.”

Both of the students followed the older man to the table were two seats were placed at opposite sides of each other. In front of each chair was a small laptop with a video paused.

This just got more and more confusing as it went on. The instructor moved around so that the rest of the class could see them and hear him before he moved on.

“Now I will explain to the both of you the rules of this game. First off, the main rule is you are not allowed to laugh at anything you are about to read or see. As both of you have acquired the trait of silence, it should be easy for you not to laugh or make a sound. The first one to laugh, loses.”

As he explained the rules of this game, both Kyungsoo and Chanyeol realised exactly what was going on. Silence depicts not even laughter and renders them rather soulless in the name of fun and jokes.

And this was a game to test that.

Kyungsoo was almost sure that there was no way he could win this game. His sense of humour – and even he had to admit it – was extremely dull and horrible. Nothing was ever funny and he had never found himself in a laughing fit. Sure, around his family he would laugh and smile a little but it was never because something was hilarious or funny.

Now Chanyeol in the other hand was a different story. Baekhyun was bringing out the happiness and humour in him rather quickly and he may be more averse to what was coming.

The instructor smiled before looking at the two students and nodding at them, showing that he was about to start the competition again.

“The game has started. Please put in the ear phones in front of you and start the video once you are ready.”

Both of them did. Chanyeol let out a small breath before hitting the space bar on the laptop and watching as the video came to life and what he assumed was going to a ‘funny’ video appeared. However, on the screen there was words instead of images, and Chanyeol realised that it was going to be written jokes instead.

Reading the first one, he just tilted his head.

‘What happens to a frog’s car when it breaks down?’

Chanyeol stared at it whilst waiting for the video to move on.

‘It gets toad away.’

He simply stared at the words. Chanyeol got that it was word play but it wasn’t funny to him in the least. Looking over at Kyungsoo, the boy had the very same serious expression on that he did before the contest began. It seemed the joke wasn’t funny to him either. Chanyeol’s attention moved back to the video as he waited for it to move on to the next joke.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes at the first joke before letting his eyes move over the next joke that appeared on the screen – this one being no funnier than the last.

‘I never wanted to believe that my Dad was stealing from his job as a road worker. But when I got home all the signs were there.”

His mouth was still in a straight line. This was going to be easy. But by the looks of it, Chanyeol wasn’t be persuaded by the jokes on the screen either. So what happens if neither of them laugh before the video ended?

Looks like they’ll find out because the next joke was just not funny.

‘My friend thinks he is smart. He told me an onion is the only food that makes you cry. So, I threw a coconut at his face.’

A minute later, both of the students were getting a little tired at all of the jokes. But Chanyeol could feel a smile slowly force itself on his lips as he read through the next one, but at least he didn’t laugh. Laughing was the name of the game.

However the smile didn’t go unnoticed by Kyungsoo at the opposite side who thought, just maybe, Chanyeol would soon laugh and he would win.

Well, that’s what he was hoping was going to happen.

Chanyeol smiled as he read the joke.

‘A man got hit in the head with a can of Coke, but he was alright because it was a soft drink.’

But no laughing. Chanyeol simply smiled at the joke before he looked over at Kyungsoo who was doing his usual stern face. As the video moved on, his eyes immediately moved over the joke and he almost let out a chuckle. Almost. Thankfully, he didn’t and he just settled on grinning at it. However, something unexpected happened as he heard the sound of laughter fill the room for a split second, and Chanyeol’s eyes widened as he knew it wasn’t from him.

Everyone’s eyes were set straight on his opponent whose eyes were as wide as Chanyeol’s when he realised what had just happened. He had accidently let out a laugh at the joke on the screen.

Kyungsoo looked down at his own lap as he contemplated the fact that he had just lost the laughing competition.

Laughing.

God dammit.

Chanyeol just couldn’t believe he had won. He was the one that was smiling and almost bursting into laughter, but Kyungsoo had unexpectantly laughed.

Looking up at the instructor who looked shocked just like the rest of them, he waited until he was motioned up and pronounced the winner in front of the rest of the class who were grinning and cheering for him.

“And the winner is Chanyeol!” Lifting up the boy’s arm, he let Chanyeol go and pushed him slightly forward so he can go and celebrate with the rest of his classmates.

Moving forward, the only person that Chanyeol really wanted to see was a certain small boy who was grinning at him. They reached each other and Baekhyun wrapped his arms around Chanyeol’s neck, the other boy instantly wrapping his arms around Baekhyun’s waist and lifting him up a little. As he sat him down from the passionate hug, both of them stared at each other.

“I knew you’d win.” Baekhyun said, smiling at the fact that other was staring him with a gorgeous smile on his lips looking extremely comfortable.

“Thank you Baek.” The other whispered.

Both of them stood in silence, staring into each other’s eyes before Chanyeol decided he wanted another hug. Staring at Baekhyun with the question in his eyes, the other just chuckled at the fact the other would even dare to ask.

Nodding his head, he stood on his tip toes and wrapped his arms around Chanyeol’s neck once again, engaging in the hug.

Over at the other side of the hall, Kyungsoo was still just staring at his lap.

Contemplating his loss.

“Hey, don’t look so down.”

Jongin dragged the chair that Chanyeol was sitting on during the match and sat beside Kyungsoo who still hadn’t looked up at him yet. Biting his lip, Jongin tapped his finger before he thought of something.

What could be so funny that it would make someone like Kyungsoo, laugh?

Tapping the other’s shoulder, he finally got the boy to look up at him as he asked him a question.

“So what was the joke?” He asked, smiling.

Kyungsoo – who looked like his dog had just died – took a hold of the laptop that was still in front of him and turned it round so that Jongin had a clear view of the words that were on the screen. The video was paused on the joke so that was definitely the one that had cracked Kyungsoo.

Jongin looked over it and began laughing out loud.

This was the joke that made you lose the match?” he asked, rather loudly so that everyone could hear him. “Seriously?!” Kyungsoo glared at the boy before scoffing and looking back down at the floor.

The younger laughed before he read over the joke again, just to make sure: he began reading it out loud – and most of the other students were listening intently as they too were curious as to what it was.

“Two fish are in a tank. One turns to the other and says, “Hey, do you know how to drive this thing?””

Jongin stared at it began howling in laughter and clutching his stomach tight.

“It is pretty funny!”

“Shut the hell up Jongin.” Kyungsoo said, glaring once again before finally standing up off of his chair and turning around, facing the object. “I’m going to lunch.” He said, not caring what anyone else was saying and ignoring the shouts that Jongin was giving him to stay. Once he was outside of the hall he lay against a wall and sighed. “A ing fish joke.”

Inside, Lu Han and Tao were currently still laughing about the joke that they had just heard – probably more than they should’ve been. Finally, Tao finished and looked over at Lu Han and nudged him.

“Wanna go and get some lunch?” He asked, smiling at his friend who instantly nodded because man, was he hungry.

Both of them stood up – Zitao was quick to completely ignore Kris who was trying to wave him over – and simply stayed beside Lu Han who was aiming for the door on the other side of the hall that led straight into the cafeteria.

As the moved, Lu Han turned his head, grinning at Zitao as they both remembered the joke at the exact same time.

Walking quickly, Lu Han didn’t notice that he was about to bump into someone.

When he did, he quickly turned and was about to apologise before he stumbled into silence at what he was currently looking at. Zitao did the exact same, not speaking a word and just staring at the person Lu Han had bumped into. And what Lu Han had made the other do.

Chanyeol’s eyes were wide open in disbelief, staring down at Baekhyun who had the exact same expression on his face at the action that was currently being played out between them.

When Lu Han had bumped into him, they were still in a rather tight hug, which forced Chanyeol to – how, he didn’t know – kiss Baekhyun.

He was kissing Baekhyun.

Their lip were physically touching.

Chanyeol was freaking out inside because this was his very first kiss. And what was even worse was that it felt fantastic. Moving away quickly, however, because this was a school and his entire class was still there, he looked at Baekhyun and noticed the distant look on his face and his stomach began churning in horror.

This wasn’t happening. Did Chanyeol just ruin his friendship with Baekhyun – the one person in his entire life that he had become close to?

Turning on his heel extremely fast, he ran out of the hall.

Lu Han gulped as he watched the entire thing play out in front of him. Moving towards Baekhyun, he nudged the boy on the shoulder and gave him a sad look because he knew it was his fault this was happening.

“I am so sorry. I didn’t mean to shove him.” He said, trying to explain his actions and that he had no intention in this happening.

Baekhyun looked up at him and sighed.

“It’s alright…”

“Do you think Chanyeol is okay?” Lu Han asked, looking at the door where the other had run off to, and sighed.

“…I have no idea.”

Baekhyun lifted one of his hands and let his fingers touch the lips that was just a moment ago, pressed against Chanyeol’s in an extremely awkward kiss. His lips were tingling like never before, but now all he could think of was the look of horror on the boy’s face. Baekhyun didn’t think he’d forget it.


A/N: Hello everyone! My writer's block has finally ceased and so I give you a brand new chapter! please forgive me for the long wait and I hope this makes up for it! Comment, subscribe or whatever, thank you for reading and I'll see you all next time! <3