Chapter 3

YOU WHO CAME FROM THE STARS

The next day , 

Baekhyun heads out to shoot his documentary, having spent hours and hours of effort to look effortlessly perfect. That means a professional makeup artist to make his skin look bare, simple clothing, and a bicycle to depict him as an easygoing, environmentally conscious everyguy.

The interview starts right away as reporters accost him with compliments and questions. Baekhyun interviews like a pro, gracefully offering canned answers that are, at least, modest and flattering to his image. Until, of course, he decides to go off-script and adds that in addition to vitamins, includes regular use of propofol

Smiles fade and reporters murmur confusedly, while Baekhyun extols its effects and how it “makes me feel like I’m flying.”. His manager mutters that he means Propolis, those vitamins he recently bought, and he wonders airily, “Are they so different?”

The camera crew follows him to campus, and Baekhyun explains that he’s only a star on set, and in real life he’s just an ordinary student. His manager hurriedly looks up student profiles and feeds him names, so that he can call out to a passing student and promise to eat lunch with them soon.

In Kyungsoo’s class, Baekhyun joins the other students in turning in his paper, earning admiring looks from the producers and the class. Kyungsoo rifles through Baekhyun's report and calls him out, saying that he must have missed the rules due to his perpetual absence—he doesn’t allow plagiarizing.

Baekhyun recalls how his manager assured him that the report was so well-done that nobody would ever know he didn’t write it, but Kyungsoo starts rattling off references from all the sources he copied. He gives Baekhyun a zero, and everyone records his stunned reactions.

News spreads like wildfire, and on his way out of class Kyungsoo overhears gleeful students posting comments online, making digs at Baekhyun’s Botoxed, wrinkle-free brain. It makes him think of Baekhyun being so hurt by all the hate, and he (telekinetically) sends the girl’s phone crashing to the ground.

Baek sits in the empty classroom reading all the comments under the video that’s already been posted online. He writes one comment to counter all the sniggering (“Baekhyun’s a person too, can’t he make mistakes?”) only to have the next commenter retort, “Byun Baekhyun, you shouldn’t be writing comments here.”

Rubbing salt in the wound, Baekhyun gets a text confirming large purchases—made by his spendthrift mother, of course. 

Chanyeol , meanwhile, reads about Baekhyun’s latest gaffe while sitting in a cubicle at work. Huh, is the chaebol an undercover salaryman? As the rookie, he’s expected to do the coffee run, but Changyeol is so clueless about office pecking order that he just cheerfully adds his drink order to their wish list. Then he walks off, ignoring his sunbaes entirely.

___________________________________________________________

The owner of a manhwa shop surfs the internet and sees Baekhyun in the headlines again, clucking over the netizens’ comments. So he rolls up his sleeves and jumps into the fray, identifying himself as an old schoolmate of Baekhyun’s and clarifying a misconception: Baekhyun isn’t rude because he’s famous… he was always rude by nature, ha.

The man chuckles to himself but gulps when Baekhyun shows up right in front of him.

Baekhyun gets his own VIP room and talks to the man, Chen familiarly over soju.

Baekhyun says his mood has nothing to do with failing his paper.

He just can’t understand why people are so nice to his face but hate him so much behind his back.

He mutters to himself,

“That bastard.”

___________________________________________________

Speaking of whom, Kyungsoo plays mahjong with Lawyer Jang in a parlor full of old men, astounding them all when he kicks everyone’s butts. One old man hobbles up to the table to ask if he’s Do Kyungmin, and a flashback to an earlier version of Kyungsoo shows us that yes, he once was. They pass him off as that man’s grandson, and they all chuckle fondly… until that old codger boasts that Gramps always lost to him.

Kyungsoo politely says he must be mistaken , but Old Fogey sticks to his claim. So Kyungsoo has to swallow his pride, and leaves the place complaining to Lawyer Jang.

Lawyer Jang informs Kyungsoo that he’s been looking for that girl from twelve years ago, starting from school records from that neighborhood. Kyungsoo says he doesn’t have to go to such lengths, saying that while he’s curious to know about him,

“If we were meant to meet, wouldn’t that happen?”

If he never sees him again, he figures that they weren’t meant to

“This is something I have learned from living here.”

Kyungsoo sits back to relax at home, a task made difficult by his sharp hearing that lets in all the traffic and city noises from outside. He blocks it out with some music, and curiously, we get a shot of a plant springing to life at that.