01. Breakup

The Rebound

Breakup
To say “I love you, but….” is to say, “I did not love you at all”.


Play this while reading:

 


Mikki's Point of View

"I'm breaking up with you."

 

It's Christmas Eve. I sneaked out once again to meet up with him even for just awhile. Today is not just a special day for me because it's Christmas Eve. But because, it is our 3rd anniversary as well today. But after greeting him excitedly..This is what he says?

"W-What? What's wrong?" I asked.

He averted his eyes away as he said something silently but was enough for me to hear, "It's not about you, Mikki.. It's me."

 

I laughed after hearing that as I heaved a soft sigh. "Enough with that famous breakup line alread. That's like soooooo last year. Okay, fine. I admit, you got me there but its not April Fool's day today, it's Christmas Eve!" I exclaimed cheerfully as I held his hand. "and also our 3rd year anniversary! Can't you believe it?" I added while smiling sweetly, but only to have the smile plastered on my face disappear as he took his hand back while he was still averting my eyes.

"I'm serious, Mikki.. I can't do this anymore.."

 

:"W-Why..?" I asked, totally dumbfounded. I was staring at him as tears started to form in my eyes. So he's not joking..He's really breaking up with me? Why?

I was hoping for an answer but intead, he only glanced at me before looking somewhere else, obviously not wanting to meet my eyes.

 

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

 

"So is it true? The rumor going on around the school about you .. and Jiyeon?"

 

I finally caught his attention as he looked at me. Guilt filled his eyes. "I-I'm sorry, Mikki.."

 

Ouch..

 

"Do you still love me?" I whispered.

 

He sighed and averted my gaze again for the nth time.
"I'm sorry, Mikki. I'm really sorry!"

 

I finally gave up as my tears started rolling down my cheeks. " sh*t Jackson! Stop apologizing to me and get to the point! Tell me already! Don't apologize anymore. I'm getting sick of it! J-Just tell me.. Tell me what I need to know!"

 

He finally looked at me again in the eyes. I saw a tear roll down the corner of his eyes. "I really don't want to hurt you.. But I really love her.. I love Jiyeon.."

 

I covered my mouth with my hand to avoid crying out loud and to avoid making any sounds if ever I break down. I cried, silently while he only kept his head down.

 

 

Everything happened so fast.. It felt like just a couple of minutes ago- I was excited to meet him even for just a short moment. It was just like yesterday when he told me that he loved me.. And now, this?

 

After calming down slightly, I looked at him once more. And he, looked at me as well and stared into my eyes.

 

I tried to give him a smile.

 

"Thank you for the 3 years." I said as my tears started taking its action again..

 

I turned my back on him and ran away.

 

 

After that day, I felt my life becoming worthless.