Stepping Out

Peter and his Reluctant Wendy
Please log in to read the full chapter

 ‘So, are you in a good mood yet?’ Goodness gracious will he ever stop asking me that? I bit my lip and breathed in the sweet smell of summer air.

 ‘Nope,’ I popped my p and closed my eyes sighing contently, smiling at the soft warmth the sun was raining down on my face.

 ‘Really? You don’t look upset.’ Fluttering my eyes open I raised an eyebrow at Chanyeol, who despite being curious maintained his gaze on the azure blue sky above us.

 ‘488,’ I watched his lips twitched into a smile as he flickered his gaze to mine. I bit my cheek trying ignored the somersaults my stomach was doing because of those curious brown eyes.

 ‘488? Is that your new favourite number?’

 ‘Maybe it should be,’ I brushed my bangs out of my eyes before my lips to smile up at the sky. ‘The color azure, it’s wavelength is 488 nanometers.’

 ‘Really,’ he chuckled before nudging me lightly with his elbow. ‘Is this your inner Libra?’ I rolled my eyes and smiled.

 ‘Do I look like a scale?’ I watched amused as he smirked before lifting my arm.

 ‘Well what else would a scale look like,’ narrowing my eyes I stuck my tongue out at him before sighing and looking ahead of us. we had already gotten halfway up the steps of the school. ‘What are you doing after school?’

‘That depends,’ I frowned as he flashed his pearly whites.

 ‘Great! We’re going out.’ He announced as the bell rang.

 ‘Out? Out where?’ He smiled and started walking faster. ‘Chanyeol!’ Frowning I looked down at the steps, yeah I’m not running up these. I’ll just hassle him later.

 

 ‘What is this? A lunch with only EXO-M?’ I smirked as I sat down in between Kris and Luhan. ‘Where’s your counterpart?’ I sent a wary gaze around the cafeteria, I could see the girls whispering to each other, glancing at our table before giggling. It would take a lot to ignore them and they weren’t even focused on me.

 ‘They are practicing, we decided to honour you two with our presence,’ Chen grinned as he slung his arm over his cousin's shoulder.

 ‘Really,’ Sooyun made no move to detach herself from Chen, instead she opened up her thermos breathing in the warm smell of fish and rice. ‘This is your lunch,’ wrinkling her nose she slid it towards me.

 ‘I must have yours then,’ I muttered as I dug through my bag for the thermos that should contain beef and rice. Pulling the metal thermos out of my bag I opened it and nodded seeing beef. ‘Here you are,’ I slid it over to her watching as she caught it, smiling as she stabbed her chopsticks in and taking out a piece of meat to eat.

 ‘You’re heading home tomorrow, right?’ Lay opened his lunch box revealing a sandwich, clearly he made his lunch today.

 ‘Yup! Canada here I come!’ I grinned and pumped my fist into the air. ‘Mum said she was going to make me some hamburger soup.’

 ‘I wish I could go,’ Kris tsked as he stared at his apple, clearly he made his lunch as well. ‘I miss her crumble already.’

 ‘Says you, I haven’t seen her for almost half a year, I’ve only watched you eat your crumble over skype,’ scowling I bumped him with my shoulder. He rolled his eyes before grabbing a piece of fish out of my thermos and eating it.

 ‘Thank you,’ I huffed and ate a piece of fish, he always stole food from my lunch.

 ‘You go every year at this time, don’t you?’ I looked up at Tao and frowned.

 ‘Hm?’ He blinked and frowned as well, his panda eyes narrowing as he rethought out his words.

 ‘Every year at this time, you head to Canada right?’

 ‘Oh! Yeah! Well, yeah, there are barely any days off in this school system so you have to make due with what you get,’ nodding I stuffed rice into my mouth, smiling as I shuffled in my seat. I  really love rice.

 ‘Did you tell K?’ Chen questioned as he stuffed some egg roll into his mouth.

 ‘About me going?’ He nodded in affirmation and I shook my head. ‘I don’t really know them all that well, and it’s not like I’m not coming back. I’m only going to be gone like two maybe three days, right? So, not really any point in telling them, not like we would be hanging out during that time anyways.’

 ‘Jaehwa,’ I turned my head to look at Luhan whose innocent brown eyes had darkened in disapproval. ‘It’s not polite to just run off without telling your friends.’

 ‘But…..if I don’t say goodbye to my friends after hanging out with them, what’s the difference between not saying goodbye when I’m going out on a trip?’ Luhan rubbed his eyes, sighing heavily as Xiumin started laughing.

 ‘I think that’s the point,’ he spoke up, cheeks puffed out from the kimchi he had stuffed into them. He swallowed his food before speaking up again, ‘he’s trying to say that it’s rude what you do normally, and even worse to do it when you’re going on a trip.’

 ‘.......Oh,’ I nodded and stabbed my chopsticks into my rice before swirling it around in the container. ‘Kris does that too, though!’

 ‘Then you’re both in the wrong,’ Luhan spoke up, ignoring Kris’ glare.

 ‘I guess I’ll tell one of them then…...’ I picked up some fish and bit into it, smiling at it’s fresh taste, I really love fish as well. ‘They can tell whoever they want….’

 ‘I have your brothers scarf, I’ll give it to you before you leave, okay?’ I nodded to Kris hardly surprised he had it. Jacob really had nice scarves, I stole his all of the time too, I love scarves they are probably my signature accessory.

 

 ‘Are you ready?’ I looked up to see Chanyeol bouncing beside me.

‘Yes, where are we going?’ I questioned watching as he quickly shed his blazer and tie.

 ‘You are a secret spoiler aren’t you,’ he tsked and grinned as he neatly folded his coat and put it into his backpack. Should I really tell you? Do you want to know? Would you care if I didn’t tell you that I was leaving?

 ‘I am not! I’m just curious.’

 ‘I’m so curious, yeah~’ I smiled and laughed as he sang a line of Sherlock. ‘First the dollar store,’ he pulled out a black snapback with an exploding cartoon bomb on it and put it on.

 ‘Dollar store? Why are we going to a dollar store?’

 ‘No matter how many times you ask, my answer won’t change,’ he grinned and fixed his bangs as he readjusted his hat. ‘Ah! Here’s a store,’ I followed him into the store with a smile, I had never actually gotten into a dollar store since I got here. We always headed to the mall or had no time, and I really love dollar stores.

 ‘Woah~’ I breathed out as I looked around, the whole store, it was a bright store with lots of cute objects. ‘Daiso,’ I repeated as I read one of hanging lavender signs. ‘I’ve seen one of these in Richmond!’ He nodded and smiled pretending to understand before he led me down the rows to an area filled with notebooks. I’ll be leaving this Friday, and I won’t be back for awhile, it’ll only be for a few day though so it’s not too bad.

 ‘Choose one,’ he waved his hands to the mass of journals.

 ‘Really?’ I immediately started flipping them in my hands and looking at their paper. There are three things I love notebooks, cheap stuff, and cute stuff. This store filled all of my criteria. I found a cute hardcover book with a fawn, rabbit, and some birds. ‘What about this?’

 ‘It’s cute,’ he opened it and played with the paper. ‘Good paper too, do you want me to buy this one?’

 ‘I can buy it,’ I reached out for it and he lifted it out of my reach. Without comprehending what I was doing I breathed in his scent. Chanyeol smelt amazing, being as I am smell impaired I could only describe it as a woodsy musk. I was tempted to lean in closer to him and smell him again before I cleared my throat and backed away.

 ‘I’m buying, now over here,’ he started walking away while clutching a second notebook, his was brown and had rilakkuma on it. I kept what I thought was a safe distance away from him. I frowned as I stared at him, seriously, why does he have to smell good? Why can’t he be like any other stereotypical boy and smell bad.

 ‘For what?’ I demanded, crossing my arms.

 ‘Pens,’ my gaze immediately fell on the fountain pens lining the wall.

 ‘This one!’ I exclaimed waving the first normal black one I saw in the air.  

 ‘Okay,’ he reached for it and I kept it away from him, holding my breath.

 ‘No, I’m buying this,’ he frowned and tsked before looking at the pens himself. I breathed out slowly, biting my lips as I watched him grab the same one I did before taking another pen, it was a cute pen/pencil the bottom was pink with cream spots and the upper half of it was cream. ‘What’s that one for?’ I questioned pointing at it, it was really cute.

 ‘This? I’m not sure,’ he shrugged and grinned before making his way to the cashier.

 ‘Where are we going?’

 ‘We are going to get coffee,’ he paid for the notebooks and pens, leaving me to buy my pen.

 ‘I’m paying for the coffee.’ He frowned, his nose scrunching up as he put the notebooks and pens away into his bag.

 ‘Fine,’ he swung his bag back onto his shoulder and made his way outside.

 ‘Really?’ I smiled as I caught up to him, matching his pace. Saying nothing he cupped my elbow and led me into a small cafe. I immediately breathed in the warm comforting smell of coffee and sighed happily. ‘Smells so good!’ I muttered to myself as I followed him to a table in the back.

 ‘What are you going to get?’ He took out the notebooks and his pen laying them out on the table.

 ‘My usual, a caramel frapp probably,’ I opened my pen and placed it down on the table.

 ‘I think I’ll try something new today,’ he mused as he unwrapped his pen as well. ‘Maybe peppermint, or cinnamon,’ I wrinkled my nose and gently took the plastic off of my notebook, laying my notebook on top.

  ‘I really don’t like cinnamon.’

‘Then you won’t be having any of my drink.’

 ‘Like I would even drink any otherwise,’ I tugged my coat off and rolled it up putting it into my  bag before I pushed my sleeves up to my elbows, next  I pulled on my tie so it was hanging hanging loosely around my neck then I ed the first two buttons of my shirt so I could actually breathe without choking. I sighed in relief and leaned back in my seat, I felt so constrained in my uniform.

 ‘You look like a rebel,’ he laughed as he pulled off his hat and put it on my head. ‘There, that completes the look.’ I smiled and adjusted the hat before striking a pose, my eyes widened in surprise as he pulled out his phone and took a picture.

 ‘Chanyeol-shii!’

 ‘What?’ He laughed, putting away his phone before he rolled his sleeves up too. ‘Is it a crime to take a nice picture? Oh! Hello!’ He greeted the waitress who came up with a close lipped smile. She smiled back at him as she pulled out her pad, ‘so I’ll be getting a peppermint frapp, and she’ll be getting a caramel frapp, some caramel drizzle on the inside too please.’ She nodded and wrote down his order before walking away. I my lips and scoffed lightly as I watched him lean back in his seat with closed eyes. I could feel warmth flood through my body as I watched his lips curl into a charming smile. He knew exactly what I wanted without me saying anything, sweet, he’s really sweet. ‘What have you already fallen for me?’ He opened his eyes and grinned as I snorted, rolling my eyes when I crossed my arms.

 ‘Who said I was falling for you at all?’ I jeered, avoiding his gaze as I looked out the window of the cafe. There’s a difference between liking your cologne and falling in love.

 ‘I’m joking, now aren’t you wondering what we are going to do with these journals?’ Nodding I looked back at him. ‘We are both going to spend some time writing down things that make us angry, annoyed, and sad.’ Will this make you angry? Angry enough to stop being acquainted with me? I frowned, furrowing my eyebrows as I glanced at his journal.

 ‘We’re going to what?’ He tapped his fingers against the table before opening his notebook and writing angry at the top.

 ‘You know what I said, now do it,’ he tapped my notebook with his pen and I clicked my tongue before opening my notebook and writing anger at the top as well.

 ‘Alright, alright,’ humming I twirled my pencil, what makes me angry? Glancing around the room I frowned before looking at Chanyeol. Falling for you? Tch, yeah right. I watched as he furrowed his eyebrows in thought, tapping a beat into the table before writing something down. He started tapping again, it was the same beat as the song he was humming when we missed the first couple of blocks. ‘What’s that?’

 ‘What’s what?’ He blinked and looked up from his notebook looking confused. ‘The beat you were following,’ he started tapping again following the same song as before.

 ‘It is the powerful beat that follows the musing of an angry man.’ I frowned and bit my lip.

 ‘What?’ He snickered before writing something down in his notebook.

 ‘Nothing,’ tsking I looked down at my notebook and wrote “people who don’t tell me what I want to know” under angry. He leaned his head over the table to read what I had written, he laughed and fell back into his seat as the waitress put our drinks down. Sipping some of my drink I scrunched up my nose and stared at my notebook. What the heck, I’ll go all out, giving my pencil one last twirl I started writing down everything.

 

 ‘What do we do now?’ I used my straw to gather the caramel lining the cup and the caramel off of the straw.

 ‘Now we switch notebooks,’ I barely had time to react before he grabbed my notebook and  pushed his towards me.

 ‘He-what! I mean that’s private isn’t it!’ Frowning I reached for my notebook, he just grinned as he shoved it into his bag.

 ‘Of course, but we’re both sharing our secrets aren’t we?’

 ‘So basically you bought me a diary and made me write in it j

Please log in to read the full chapter