5: At Crossroads

I See You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Jinyoung! Park Jinyoung!"

 

" off."

 

"But Jinyoun–"

 

"I SAID GO AWAY!" He whirled around, his face the epitome of rage. "I have nothing to say to you, nor do I wish to listen to you."

 

I dropped my outstretched hands, my throat swallowing the words I had wanted to say as I watched him walk away.

 

I deserve this.

 

I so deserved this.


 

“Well well well. What do we have here?”

 

We snapped our heads to the familiar voice and I felt the colour drain from my face.

 

“J-Jinyoung ah.”

 

I stammered out of utter guilt and when I felt movement in my hand, I realised that Suzy had wrenched her hand away from mine.

 

“Explain yourselves, and I might just find it in my heart to walk away and pretend I didn’t see anything.” He spoke so softly, yet his tone held much terrifying anger that seemed to roll off him in huge waves. “So? Who wants to go first?”

 

Suzy’s hand shakingly rose into the air and Jinyoung jerked his chin rudely at her to speak, his affection for the girl apparently gone.

 

“J–” She started off with a stutter, but after inhaling deeply, a newfound confidence emanated from within. “Jinyoung-sshi, I apologise for what you have seen and I know that an explanation won’t suffice. But just believe in me when I say that there’s nothing going on between us.”

 

Her finger pointed to me and her eyes caught onto mine, urging me to agree with her statement.

 

I nodded furiously, hoping that the boy in front of us would buy her story.

 

It's the truth, as much I don't like it when she said that there was nothing between us.

 

I mentally froze.

 

As much as I don't like it...

 

What...!?

 

"Mark-hyung, your turn." His scathing tone broke my daze and a tinge of annoyance pulsed within me; I never knew the boy would actually take this kind of tone with me, his hyung.

 

"W-Well, I met her at the beverage joint that she was working at a-and I waited for her to finish her work–"

 

"Wait. The hell are you to wait for her to finish her work!" Jinyoung's fists balled, and his body leaned dangerously forward. "You're not anything to her!"

 

"I'm her friend!" I shouted back, the courage to rebut appearing out of nowhere. From the corners of my eyes, I saw Suzy burying her face in her hands. "Can't friends wait for each other and head home together?"

 

"Sure, I guess friends could walk home together but NOT WITH THEIR HANDS HELD TOGETHER!"

 

Jinyoung's tone was sarcastic, that much I could tell and I knew that I ought to stop. But I didn't, I continued to taunt him.

 

"Friends do that too, don't you always hold hands with Jaebum?"

 

His shoulders shot up, face contorted with extreme fury.

 

"I do but– That's not the point!" He threw his hands up in the air, face reddening. "Boys and girls who are friends don't ever hold hands!"

 

"Yeah? But we do!" I grabbed Suzy's hand and that sent Jinyoung over the edge.

 

"UGH YOU!" He stepped forward, a finger pointing at us. "I cannot believe you!"

 

He wheeled around, proceeding to the left of the crossroads.

 

Suzy wrenched her hand out of mine for the second time and she called out after him.

 

He turned around, an expression of betrayal on his face and his eyes held so much disappointment and hatred that I didn't know the boy was capable of; he always seemed so carefree, and now he's showing a side that I have never seen.

 

And I don't like what I'm seeing; what I have caused.

 

"If the both of you think that I've the heart to walk away pretending I didn't see anything, you're sorely mistaken."

 

"Jinyoung-ssh–"

 

"And I'll never forgive the both of you. Never."

 

He walked on before stopping again. The breeze came, whipping our hair and our clothes. The air then became still, and the silence of the crossroads brought Jinyoung's last words to the both of us, effectively sending us spiralling down the depths of darkness and guilt.

 

"I trusted you. I trusted the both of you."



 

I plopped down onto the usual seat, my tray of food in front of me. I stared at the miniature bowl of mash potatoes, the image blurring in my eyes.

 

I had no appetite, the tray of food was just for show; to deflect any gossip of what could have happened to Mark Tuan overnight.

 

"Mark-hyung!" Jackson slid onto the bench, his shoulders bumping into mine. “What’s going on between you and Jinyoung, you two haven’t spoken at all today.”

 

“Yeah, it’s very strange and the atmosphere…” Jaebum sat opposite me, his wet mash potatoes sloshing over the rim of the bowl and onto his tray. “It’s scary.”

 

I shook my head, unwilling to divulge anything. I had more than I could handle for the day.

 

Just then, Suzy walked into the picture, a tray in her hands. She glanced at our table, about to head towards us when Jinyoung strolled past her and her face fell. Her feet then brought her to an empty table at the corner of the cafeteria, where she sat alone.

 

Jinyoung stopped beside Jaebum, and I felt his eyes on me.

 

“I’ll get another table.”

 

He was about to walk away, much to the protests of a newly-arrived Bambam and Yugyeom when I stood up.

 

“I’ll grab another table.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter