All Again For You

Arranged
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

All Again For You

 

A gentle melody played through the house on the mountainside. The leaves on the trees rustled in the wind, bright green and casting dancing shadows over the hardwood floors. With a smile on her face, Sooyoung swayed back and forth, instrument in hand and performing a soft, but upbeat tune. Her feet stepped in time with her music, contently using her skilled footwork to move her way through the rooms and in view of the front porch.

 

Jessica merely chuckled at what she caught in her periphery. She always loved whenever Sooyoung put on a show for her, even if it distracted her from trying to get their garden set up for spring. Her hands digging into the earth of their potted plants did little to divert her attention from the girl doing a few quick hops along with the of her bow. She couldn't help but adore the way Sooyoung was looking at her, so innocently happy.

 

Spring isn't so bad either… Certainly not for these beautiful flowers.

 

The elder girl giggled and placed the plant down on the wooden railing before moving onto the next. No one could have asked for a more perfect morning. That was, until the song came to a sudden halt.

 

"Sooyoung?"

 

Jessica turned around and looked over at the tall girl with a confused expression, not paying attention to the sound of tires coming up the driveway.

 

"Are those your parents?"

 

"Eh?" she turned to where Sooyoung's ones were staring.

 

"I suppose it is. I wonder what it could be."

 

Sooyoung dropped her arms to the side and backed away slowly.

 

"I'll just wait inside."

 

"Why?" the girl tilted her head, but saw how nervous the other was.

 

"Are you still worried about how they see you? Things have changed a lot since then." she raised a finger to her chin and looked up in thought, "Have they even seen you since we got together?"

 

"No… I dunno… I just— I feel awkward." Sooyoung looked over with pleading eyes, "Can I wait inside?"

 

Jessica gave her a lopsided smile and nodded. She couldn't relate to the fears of the other girl, but assumed her shyness had become overwhelming now that they were dating. Nevertheless, she had just made it in time for Jessica’s parents to not even notice she left before they exited their car.

 

"Hello!" they both greeted with smiles.

 

"Hello Dad, Mom.” Jessica returned the expression and put her gardening aside, "What brings you here today?"

 

"We just wanted to check up on you." the woman spoke, "How are things?"

 

The girl hadn't noticed just how red her face was becoming.

 

"Oh, everything has been just lovely, thank you."

 

"Where is Sooyoung?" her father asked, strong in tone, but not in heart.

 

"She's inside, training most likely. Only a few months before we get back—" Jessica paused, suddenly remembering their situation, "Right… back to work. After…"

 

She trailed off with a sigh, but quickly turned back to her parents with a willful glint in her eyes.

 

"So, just coming to check up on us?"

 

"And…" and there it was, "To bring you these."

 

The woman pulled two small boxes out from her purse and handed them to her daughter.

 

"These are…" Jessica took them delicately while glancing to her father who spoke next.

 

"Your rings. We'd like it if you would both wear them from now on. With only a month to the wedding, it's only appropriate that you look the part for any photos or if anyone from the dojos see you in public."

 

"Right…"

 

"Why do you seem upset, dear?" her mother reached out, placing a hand on the girl's shoulder as she took a deep breath, still holding tight to the boxes.

 

"It's nothing, really, I'm fine. We're fine. Thank you for bringing the rings, we'll make sure to wear them."

 

A cold fear had struck through her heart.

 

Sooyoung…

 

"Very well, if you need us, just let us know." the man waved over his shoulder while turning back to the car, followed by his wife.

 

Jessica continued to stare silently as they drove away, looking out into the distant woods. She wanted so badly to run deep into them and pretend these rings didn't exist. Sadly, right on cue, Sooyoung came out of hiding and approached her clearly-depressed girlfriend from behind with an embrace.

 

"That was quick." she noted, resting her chin on the girl's shoulder and looking down at what she was holding.

 

"What're those?"

 

"They're…" Jessica took a deep breath, "They're our rings. My parents would like it if we wore them from now on, at least in public."

 

"Oh…"

 

---- -----

 

I guess we got a bit sidetracked… I mean, it's not like I ever really forgot but…

 

Sooyoung was lying on the sofa, one arm rested behind her head, the other lifted up so she could continue staring at the ring she had been avoiding wearing for a week now. The day the couple had received them was spent by both trying to dodge the subject as often as they could, and from then on the two boxes had been left on the dresser in Jessica’s – well, now their shared – bedroom. It was only now, when the latter was out with her friends that the younger girl had ventured a test run of the jewelry.

 

"I wonder…" she muttered aloud, "What's going to happen to us now?"

 

She sighed and let the limb fall over her abdomen. No matter how she looked at it, it seemed things would change. Her initial feelings about marriage – even when keeping the arrangement separate from her actual relationship – had always remained the same.

 

Whether I love her or not… whether we're friends or not… I'm going to be her wife. That was my mother's wish, and I intend to see it through. But now…

 

Sooyoung rolled onto her side, an exhausted groan falling out of as her hand dragged along the floor. Her thoughts roamed so many places that afternoon, but right now they were wondering why she even put the ring on in the first place. Even Jessica hadn't touched hers, seeming even more frightened of the idea than Sooyoung. That was something to think about all on its own, but her messy stream of consciousness was about to be interrupted.

 

The girl flicked her head towards the knocking at the door and took a glance out the front window to see who it was. While she couldn't see the person, she recognized the car and gave a soft chuckle.

 

"Hey guys." Sooyoung smiled at the two friends, even going so far as to give them a hug, "It's been a while."

 

"You've been so busy!" Hyoyeon replied with mock annoyance.

 

"Seriously…" Yuri added, "Can't you take your hand out of the poor girl's pants for two minutes just to give us a phone call?"

 

Sooyoung flushed red.

 

"I—That's not why! We—" she cut herself off with a huff, "None of your business!"

 

"So defensive! Almost like you're hiding something, Choi."

 

"Ugh… just get inside."

 

The moment the tall girl reached over to pull the more obnoxious of the two inside, Hyoyeon’s eyes caught sight of the shiny new addition to her friend's hand. She blinked momentarily but quickly followed inside. Of course she knew what it was, and why it was there, but why Sooyoung was voluntarily wearing it? She had no idea. She decided to stay quiet for now and instead wait for the girl to bring it up on her own, so long as Yuri didn't notice and make a big deal.

 

"So, what brings you two here for a visit?" Sooyoung had already dropped Yuri over the back of the couch and was moving into the kitchen to prepare some food.

 

"We missed you, obviously." the girl sat up, legs over the armrest and adjusting her twisted shirt.

 

"I'm sorry, I missed you guys too, and things have just been pretty hectic around here lately."

 

Yuri gave a quiet huff. She was fully aware of the situation but had since been forbidden by Hyoyeon to give an opinion either way until Sooyoung gave hers; and then to support her no matter what.

 

"I'll be a better friend after the wedding."

 

Both guests' eyes widened with surprise at the girl's casual tone. It was as if she was completely intellectualizing the situation they were in, although it was more of a front than anything. And one that Hyoyeon could see through, at that.

 

"About that…"

 

Sooyoung chuckled as she pulled a bowl down from the shelf.

 

"Hyo, you're always looking out for other people, don't think I didn't see you notice the ring."

 

"The what?!" Yuri jumped over the edge of the furniture, earning a strange glance from the other two.

 

"Why are you so surprised? I mean, we've all known I was getting married for a few years now."

 

"I guess… it's just surprising to see you so calm about it?" Hyoyeon offered.

 

"Yeah, I mean, I know you two are happy together now but eight months ago you didn't even want to meet her."

 

"I was an idiot then." Sooyoung finished tossing the vegetables into their salad, "I'm not saying I wasn't a bit justified to be an idiot, but still. Things have changed a lot since then. We're fine."

 

Somehow, she seemed more apathetic than anything.

 

"Yes, it's a little weird emotionally but… I don't know. In the end, this was just an arrangement from the start."

If anything was the signal to stop asking, it was that, and her friends abided. No doubt this would be a difficult time for the girl, and right now she was concentrating on trying not to snap at two people she cared for the most.

 

In three weeks, my life is gonna change.

 

Sooyoung had been repeating that to herself since the visit from Jessica’s parents. She had no idea how this change would really affect her, and out of fear of it being a drastic change; she played the part of believing it would be nothing. However, every day with a distant and fearful Jessica was taking its toll.

 

"I wish she didn't feel like she had to hide still…"

 

----- -------

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter