Love is a Battle

Arranged
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I didn't have the chance to italicize the 'thoughts' here.

'Cause I'm using ma Tab for updating. [That's how I love you guys]

Well, I can't wait also. HaHaHa. but still, you can notice what are the 'thoughts' here ^^

Okay then, ENJOY!!! 

----------

 

Love is a Battle

 

It was the day before the Ashura tournament: a sunny day with the rays reflecting off the snow surrounding the house in the forest. Across the region all of the top martial artists were training non-stop in order to attain the trophy which they all had their eyes on. At this point everyone, even from the same dojo was considering each other competition. Friends had turned to rivals of all kinds throughout the community of professional fighters. Although there were always exceptions.

 

In the basement of the medium sized house, both Sooyoung and Jessica refused to stop training together. From start to finish they were in this together to get to the top, neither bothering to think of what would happen when they reached that point. It was in the backs of their minds for sure, but never became more of an issue. It didn't matter to them if they were to end up fighting against each other in a real match and not just practice.

 

In fact, while it was unspoken and perhaps unknown between the two, they both had individual reasons for wanting to compete. It started out as them wanting to make their names known again and step further into fame, but ever since another player presented himself it became a more personal matter. Sooyoung was set on taking Taecyeon down, remembering his sweet visage that filled her with such frustration.

 

As for Jessica, her motive was the most unclear, but from what the younger girl could tell from their sparring there was more to it for her as well. Something she had to prove, she deduced, but to herself. It was a complex thought pattern that Sooyoung couldn't figure out with her mind so focused elsewhere. That smile flashed itself in her mind again.

 

"Agh!" she cried out, ing her fist forward at full strength.

 

But even then she felt it connect with the skin of Jessica’s palm. Before she knew it, her rather reckless and emotional attack left her open for the older girl's swift counter. Sooyoung braced her muscles when she felt her equilibrium shift, having been flipped onto her back by her joint-locked wrist. Even in the darkness of her landing, she could hear where the footsteps were moving.

 

Just one stride before Jessica would have been clear, the tall girl swung her leg around low on the ground, using the motion to get herself in a position to stand up and floor her opponent at the same time. Right after she fell, Sooyoung took a far leap back and planted herself in one place, waiting to see what would happen. Well, not see exactly. In an effort to keep their skills honed, both of them had been training blindfolded. At first even Sooyoung was having some trouble with it but fell into the feeling quicker than Jessica for obvious reasons.

 

The tournament is tomorrow…!

 

She clenched her fists tighter.

 

Come on! You can do it!

 

Meanwhile on the other side of the mats, Jessica was slowly bringing herself up, slightly off balance and still turning her head back and forth in search of a visual position of the girl she was fighting. Since she hadn't been attacked yet she safely assumed that Sooyoung was waiting for her. In all the time since they started practicing together, she hadn't been too sensitive to the notion of being pitied. She was always certain that they were on equal ground so there wasn't much to notice. But now, this was different. Jessica could tell that Sooyoung was, not pitying her, but also not treating her as an equal. She was waiting because she was giving her a chance to gain some points, not because she needed a rest.

 

Where are you?! I can find you, I know it!

 

Her time was up. Sooyoung went on the offensive again, darting around the room as fast as she could. On one hand this confused Jessica but also provided her with what Sooyoung had been using to teach her this method of fighting. She knew that her movement would cause sounds, sounds that if Jessica could see would go unnoticed without this training. She was still instructing her.

 

But the time for instruction is over Sooyoung, tomorrow we're fighting for real… this is our—no, my last chance!

 

With that thought echoing in her mind, Jessica’s elite prowess revealed itself to the younger girl's surprise. In all honesty, Sooyoung had become accustomed to beating Jessica in matches, but now, in her own territory of blindness, she was at a true loss. Not even by shock, but by skill. The tall girl couldn't see the smirk on the older girl's face when she slid to the side, feeling the wind carried by Sooyoung's punch brush her hair against her cheek.

 

The part of her that was holding her back from dealing damage to Sooyoung due to love had looked the other way, not clouding her judgment of how to follow through from her current position. As one hand grasped the girl's wrist to keep her in place, Jessica glided across the floor, pivoting from face to face with Sooyoung so that she was twisting her arm behind her. After which Jessica gave a double open palmed into the tall girl's strong back, hurling her forward without any control of her movements. Sooyoung was moving too fast to catch herself and ended up tripping over her feet from the momentum, ending with rolling across the mats.

 

Without hesitation, Jessica followed the sound towards her target. Even when Sooyoung moved out of the way quickly she followed the gentle breeze she left behind and reached out to grab hold of the tall girl's uniform.

 

"Gah!" Sooyoung exclaimed, unable to block, although she did attempt a counter.

 

Using Jessica’s hold against her the younger girl spun around to deliver a kick, but somehow hit only air. Not only that, but the grip which she was using for leverage was gone as well, causing her attack to carry her all the way around.

 

She foresaw my attack...?!

 

The tall girl was now face to face with Jessica, standing still for a split second and blinking behind her blindfold. In that instant she swore that she could see the girl's determined expression with her mind's eye... and her heart skipped a beat.

 

What?

 

And when the second ended all Sooyoung felt was an immensely forceful hit to her upper chest. Winded, she soared across the room before once again rolling on the mats until she laid still. The room was quiet then, saves for the heavy breathing from both girls. The elder's open mouth closed unconsciously to keep her jaw firm, but relaxed upon hearing the quiet steps in the distance. They were not approaching, no; Sooyoung was just standing up slowly. What caught her by surprise though was the cheerful laughter that followed.

 

"You did it!" the tall girl said with a bright grin, pulling the cloth down from in front of her eyes to hang around her neck.

 

"You beat me! And with my own technique too! I'm so proud!"

 

Jessica pulled her blindfold down too and met with the brown irises coming forward.

 

"I... I did it..." she muttered with a smile, still a little speechless herself, but caught onto the last of Sooyoung's sentences, "... Proud?"

 

"Of course! It's every teacher's dream to be surpassed by their student! Not that I had much to teach you..." she rubbed the back of her neck and looked up in thought.

 

"You're elite too, I just offered an extra skill to help train," she crossed her arms and pouted, trying to put back her cool demeanor, "But it's not like one win against me means you can slack off! It's hard work!"

 

Jessica chuckled at her cute expressions.

 

"I know, but this will be very helpful in the tournament."

 

"Mm, I can feel it..." she clenched her fist, "We're definitely gonna be at the top, no doubt about it."

 

They stopped when that statement reminded them of the possible predicament the competition would cause. It was less complex than they were making it out to be, but both of them saw the two sides.

 

"Jessica... If we get picked to fight each other..." Sooyoung started.

 

"It'll be fine." she smirked, "In a way I'm looking forward to the possibility of fighting you in a match other than training, especially if we both get within reach of the trophy."

 

"Heh, yeah… good. I just wanted to make sure you felt the same way," given Jessica’s confident response, she felt the need to keep her insecurities hidden.

 

The insecurity that, now that they were close friends her ability may weaken under the pressure of the spotlight. Little did she know that the person sitting right next to her was thinking the exact same thing.

 

"Alright then!" Sooyoung said to break the silence, standing up with a stretch.

 

"Do you mind if I shower first?"

 

"Go ahead, but don't take too long since Hyoyeon will be joining us for dinner." Jessica replied.

 

Her eyes slyly followed the girl's body; admiring the pink shade that covered her skin in contrast to her brown locks. By the time Sooyoung turned the corner her gaze was automatically broken, leaving her to roll her eyes and sigh to herself.

 

It's funny... I spend so much time thinking about her feelings that I forget how incredibly attractive she is...

 

----- ------

 

Close to an hour later, when they were both clean and dressed in regular attire, Sooyoung and Jessica were in the kitchen preparing their evening meal with Hyoyeon. Or rather, Jessica and Hyoyeon were doing the serious cooking while Sooyoung felt bad that she lacked their skills and, like a child, tried everything she could think of to help them.

 

"Sooyoung really, you don't have to be good at everything!" Hyoyeon joked, pushing her friend out of the way of her workspace.

 

"I'm not trying to be good at everything!" she retorted.

 

"I just hate watching people work if I'm not helping... It makes me feel like I'm taking advantage..."

 

"Yes, and knowing my love of cooking I'm extremely frustrated with you right now," the blonde said sarcastically, "If you don't want to watch you can go sit outside."

 

"Fine, I get it..." the tall girl rolled her eyes and walked around the island counter to sit on the stool facing the other two.

 

"Here, if you want to help, taste this." Jessica said whilst lifting a spoonful of her soup to Sooyoung's lips.

 

Like a reflex, the younger girl opened to test the savory broth, expressing a pleasant smile and a blush which she was unaware of but that caused Hyoyeon to bite her lip to suppress her giggling.

 

"Mmm, it's really good, but maybe put some more meat in it."

 

"If I put any more in it'll become a stew." Jessica replied in an almost parental tone, her attention focused on the pot for a moment before looking up at the girl's puppy dog eyes…

 

"...Fine, I'll add a bit more."

 

"Yeah!" and Sooyoung proceeded to do some sort of amateur victory dance; nearly killing Hyoyeon by her internal laughing fit.

 

"Ah! I forgot some other herbs in the pantry." the older girl mentioned aloud a second before leaving the kitchen to go get them, fortunately leaving the two best friends alone for a moment.

 

While Sooyoung was actually watching her exit, leaning her head with her chin rested on her palm, her eyes suddenly shook when she was smacked upside the head lightly.

 

"Oh my God you like her!!" Hyoyeon exclaimed with a bright smile, but still kept her voice too low for Jessica to possibly hear.

 

"Ow! What? No! Are you crazy! What!?" by now Sooyoung was redder than ever, and stuttering too no less, but honestly not believing what her friend was talking about.

 

"Oh come on!" Hyoyeon was still grinning ear to ear, "You blushed when she had you taste the soup—"

 

"It was just hot!"

 

"—And you couldn't take your eyes off her when she left the room!"

 

"Argh! That doesn't mean I like her! We were training

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter