Was

Was

One year, we were playmates in Sunday school.

One year, we were classmates in kindergarten.

One year, we were best friends that stuck around each other no matter what.

One year, we were the couple that everyone envied.

Those few years, it was the best part of my life. Ever. But all it took was one minute. And everything was gone.

 

                                                                                                                     ~~~+++~~~

Stealing a glance at the window, Siwon finally realised that dawn has arrived. The sun was slowly revealing itself, bringing the light along with it. People were gradually waking up, preparing themselves to face whatever challenges that awaited them later.

So, one day passed.

One day after she broke up with me.

Come on, Siwon. Don't be a wimp. It's just a break-up.

But a voice in his head told him that it was not an ordinary break-up. The pain in his heart further reinforced that fact. The tears stains left on his chiselled face only served as unbearable reminders of the events that he knew will torment him for the rest of his life. He knew that it would be impossible to experience love again.

Not without her.

Taking in a deep breath and exhaling as loud as he could, Siwon gathered the remaining strength left in his legs and dragged himself to the bathroom, where he the tap to full blast and splashed his face continuosly for one full minute before finally stopping. He looked up into the mirror above the sink. All he could see was a changed person. One who can no longer look forward to having a future with someone . One who can no longer experience warmth. One who can no longer love.

 

 

                                                                                                                         ~~~+++~~~

 

"Two months is all I have left, Jessica! How could I be so selfish? All I want for him now, is to find someone better! He deserves someone better, not someone like me! Someone who is dying in two months! Please, Jessica. Take it as a final request from me!"

She argued. She pleaded. She begged.

All for the sake of him.

For him to not dwell on her after she leaves.

For him to find someone better and to have a future.

A wife, children, or even grandchildren. A family.

 

"Fany, I am sorry ... I ... I still don't think it is right of you to keep it from him! Please, let him know before it's too late! Before ... Before you go ... "

"I can't ..."

                                                                                                                        ~~~+++~~~

 

They met under the same apple tree.

The very same apple tree where they first met each other. Where they first confessed to each other. Where they had their first kiss. Where everything began.

 

I should end things at where it started, right?

Right, I should end things before ... before it's too late.

 

He was there a couple of minutes earlier, and just when he leaned against the tree to wait for her, he spotted her walking towards him. A smile sneaked up his face and he welcomed her into his arms.

Why does she seem so pale?

Never mind, it must be just the sunlight.

 

Sharing their usual greeting kiss, she pulled back a little sooner than usual. Slipping his fingers into hers, they merely leaned against the tree, enjoying the quiet moment and company.

That is, until she decided to end everything.

 

                                                                                                              ~~~+++~~~

 

He could not believe his ears. He simpy could not believe that it was coming out of .

She was asking for a break-up.

Break-up

The words echoed in his ears, while he merely stood there, face blank, his hands merely hanging by his sides.

She looked at him a final time, forcing herself to hold back her tears so that her eyes would stay clear. Clear enough to remember his face for her remaining days.

And she turned around and walked away as fast as her weak body could. Her legs were killing her, and her heart was stabbing her with every step she took.

But she had to.

For him.

 

 

                                                                                                     ~~~+++~~~

Mindlessly flipping through the newspapers at the coffee table, his eyes merely glanced at the articles, barely skimming through. Until one word caught his eye.

He had already flipped to the next page before that word registered in his mind. And he returned to that page.

There it was, in the top right hand corner of the page.

Her orbituary.

 

That was when he realised what a fool he had been.