The Conversations We Have

And Then There Was You

[The Conversations We Have]

 

 

Nam Taehyun’s POV

 

Apparently, the guy’s name was Seungyoon and he looked surprised when I gave him the CD. Was I too abrupt? Will he think that I’m too forward? For a minute, I kind of regret what I did.

 

 

“He doesn’t like those types of songs.” The guy beside him says. He snatches the CD from Seungyoon’s hands and looks at the track list scribbled in my own lazy handwriting. He eyes them curiously and gives me a smirk. 

 

 

“So you compose songs?” I was expecting some sort of mockery in his tone but I only found curiosity.

 

 

“Not songs. Tracks. Just tracks.”

 

 

He raises one of his eyebrows and I’m amazed on how he does it so effortlessly. My eyebrows have always been droopy- making people think that I’m angry or disgruntled all the time.

 

 

“I don’t write lyrics.” I mutter under my breath. 

 

 

He looked puzzled, like he didn't understand what I was saying or that I was not making any sense.

 

 

“Huh? Why don’t you? That’s the best part.” He exclaimed like an overly excited kid who was bragging about his favorite toy. I don’t get it. 

 

 

I want to ignore him and get this conversation over with, but he looks at me with anticipation in his eyes- waiting for my answer. 

 

 

“I…I don’t have anything to say.” Even right now. 

 

 

He squints his eyes and once again, his eyebrows had taken another form. I am really amazed on the myriad of expressions this guy has.

 

 

“What do you mean you don’t have anything to say? Everyone has something to say.” The boy with disheveled hair (and I don’t know why my attention is at his hair right now) argues his point but I still don’t understand why he was making a big deal out of this.

 

 

“I guess, not for me.” I hastily turn my back and head towards my desk. I don’t like having long conversations. It’s exhausting- and useless.

 

 

“Ya!” The noisy kid shouted. I realized how big and low-pitched his voice was.

 

 

The boy followed me to my seat and I noticed how his eyebrows slightly twitched when I crossed my legs and arms.

 

 

“Hey! Nam Taehyun!” 

 

 

He uttered my name in that low-pitched voice of his and for a moment, my name didn’t feel like my name at all because he said it in a way that was- different. Unfamiliar. Baffling.

 

 

Again, I do not understand him.

 

 

“I know we’re classmates and all but you’re still younger than me. You don’t just walk away from people when they’re talking to you. That’s just, rude!” 

 

 

His voice was so loud so a few other kids looked at us. I sigh. I just want to get this over with.

 

 

“Okay.” I say. And with that, his expression changes. His eyes grew wide for a reason I do not know while he was slowly turning pink. Why was he turning pink?

 

 

Again, I do not understand.

 

 

Then, he starts to laugh. What a weird kid.

 

 

“Okay? That’s your answer? Okay?” 

 

 

Is he deaf?

 

 

“Yes, o-kay.” I said in a louder voice. 

 

 

He laughs again. But there was something wrong with his laugh. 

 

 

“You don’t just say, okay. You were supposed to say S-O-R-R-Y.”

 

 

Sorry? Why should I say sorry? I don’t know the reason why this tanned kid was annoying me this early in the morning but I’ve had enough.

 

 

“Did I hurt you?” I ask him.

 

 

“Huh? Hurt me?” He asks. This guy is really deaf.

 

 

“Did I hurt you?” I ask him again.

 

 

He looked like he was thinking about something and then he answered. “No.”

 

 

“Then why should I say sorry? You were not hurt by what I did- physically and emotionally. People who hurt others don’t even say sorry themselves. So why should I, who did ABSOLUTELY nothing to you, ask for your forgiveness?”

 

 

My father, he didn't even say sorry to my mother. 

 

 

“And, I don’t even know why you’re talking to me. Just to make it clear, I’m not someone who likes making friends and being buddy-buddy with everyone so could you please, just leave me alone?”

 

 

He looks at me with eyes that were both shocked and……. hurt?

 

 

I am not sure. I do not understand him at all. 

 

 

And then the bell rings.

 


 

Song Mino’s POV

 

Most of the time, I found my classes utterly long and tiring. But now, time flew by so fast and before I knew it, the bell for dismissal rings. 

 

 

I didn’t want to get up from my seat. Not yet. I don’t want to awkwardly bump into Nam Taehyun. I sat straight, looking only at the front, careful not to accidentally look at anywhere. 

 

 

This is so frustrating.

 

 

“HEY, PIG MINO!” Seungyoon screams into my ears. It was a loud scream and I thought I had gone deaf. I was so startled I almost fell from my seat.

 

 

“What’s your problem!!!” I shouted in annoyance.

 

 

“Aren’t you going to stand up! We’re the only ones left here!”

 

 

I look around and he was right. The classroom was already empty.

 

 

“Oh, my bad. Let’s go.” I got up and quickly headed outside.

 

 

“Is there any problem with you and Taehyun?” He asks as he caught up to me. I felt something weird in my chest at the mention of that name. 

 

 

I tried to act like I didn’t know what he was talking about. “Problem? What do you mean?” I laugh. Laughing made me feel less anxious. Laughing made me feel like they wouldn't be able to read through me,

 

 

“You’re a horrible actor and liar, just in case you didn’t know.” I hate Seungyoon and how he’s such a know-it-all. 

 

 

“There’s no problem, okay. I was just annoyed at him. He’s just.....so full of himself.” 

 

 

“Hmmmmm?" He looked at me like I was blurting out some random stuff. "I don’t think so. He’s just shy. I’ve talked to him a couple of times since we’re seat mates and he isn’t arrogant at all.”

 

 

Seungyoon stops walking and grabs a CD out of his bag. That CD again.

 

 

“And look. He even gave me this.” Seungyoon gives me a smirk and it somehow annoyed me more. Why in the world is he smirking?

 

 

“Psssshhhh. You were always making fun of my compositions but now you’re happy because that guy gave you that CD?” Seungyoon was being unbearable. He never liked listening to the tracks I made so why is he now showing me that guy's music and bragging about it. 

 

 

“Hey, hey! First, I don’t make fun of your compositions. Hiphop is not just my type of music. You can't blame me that I don't like it. And second, I was able to listen to one of his tracks and it was really good! That guy has talent, I’m telling you!”

 

 

I don’t know why I’m irritated. Was it because Seungyoon appreciates that guy’s music over mine? 

 

 

Or was it because of something else.

 

 

"Hey, Yoon. Can I borrow that CD?" 

 

 

He gives me a smirk and hands it without hesitation.

 


 

Song Mino was surprised. Nam Taehyun's music was good.

 

 

No, good was an understatement. It was....it was..

 

 

He found no words to describe it.

 

 

Mino grew up listening to hiphop but still, he thought Taehyun's songs, or tracks, were amazing. He couldn't understand the boy's genre because his songs were a combination of many things.

 

 

There was one that had a mixture of electronic pop and jazz- the snappy electro beats going really well with the mellow sound of the saxophone. 

 

 

One track started with powerful notes of a piano and then gradually, Mino could hear the rising volume of slow drum beats in various textures and tones. The tempo moved from slow to fast, fast to slow- to the point where Mino didn't know what to expect anymore.

 

 

Nam Taehyun was a guy full of surprises.

 

 

Mino continued to listen to the weird boy's music where he found himself; rapping to a song that had no words.

 


 

Nam Taehyun was early again for school. He liked it because it was quiet. No noisy and annoying kid to ruin his morning. 

 

 

But still, Taehyun wondered why he didn't feel all that good. 

 

 

"Nam Taehyun! Nam Taehyun!" Someone called to him from behind. He turns around to be greeted by the school nurse running hastily towards him.

 

 

"Hey, can you please give this to your friend?" The nurse hands him a black bandana. It had graffiti writings printed all over it in white ink. 

 

 

"Huh? What friend?"

 

 

The nurse sighed. "The one that was with you when you collapsed! He left this in the clinic." She gives him a soft smile, says her thanks and goodbye, then runs back to her clinic.

 

 

Taehyun looks at the bandana and wonders. "So Seungyoon likes this type of stuff.”

 


 

Song Mino didn't like mornings. There are two things he likes best in the world. First, is music. Second, would be sleep. But today, he was in school an hour early. However, it's not because he wanted to see or to meet or to talk to a certain someone. Nope, he just felt like being a good student once in a while, that’s all. 

 

 

Mino took a deep breath and promised himself that he wouldn't mess up today. Keep it cool Song Mino, keep it cool.

 

 

He enters the classroom and sees that the chairs are still empty, except for the one owned by kid with the middle-parted hair. He spots Nam Taehyun sitting quietly, eyes closed, earphones on, as if he wants to shut everyone out of his world.

 

 

Mino approaches the boy. He stares at Taehyun’s face for a while. He looked too pretty- too pretty to be a guy. And then again, what is he thinking?!

 

 

Mino shakes his head then greets Taehyun with a loud voice, “Hey!”

 

 

Taehyun looks at him with an expressionless face and just sits there. The boy wasn’t even surprised. 

 

 

Mino removed one pair of Taehyun's earphones. "Hey, listen to me."

 

 

Taehyun's eyebrows drooped even lower than it usually would in annoyance. This guy wanted to ruin his morning again. He glared at him hoping that the boy would get the message that he didn't want to talk. 

 

 

"Oi, I didn't come here to fight so stop staring at me like that." 

 

 

Taehyun rolls his eyes. ”So what do you want?" His voice was stern. He didn’t stop glaring at Mino too.

 

 

"I... I just want to tell you that…your music is good.” Mino finds himself really lame. Here he was, approaching a guy who didn't want to talk to him, just to say that he's music was good. Yeah right.

 

 

"I don't remember giving you that CD though." 

 

 

Mino was flustered. "Uhmmm I….well Seungyoon made me listen to it! I didn’t take the CD away from him okay!” 

 

 

“I didn’t say that you took it from him. Why are you being so defensive?”

 

 

“I am not being defensive! I was just stating the truth! And why are you like this? Here I am complimenting you and you don’t even say thank you.”

 

 

“Why should I say thank you? Did I ask you to compliment me?”

 

 

Mino was starting to lose his temper again because of this frustrating boy named Nam Taehyun. He was about to snap back at him when,

 

 

“What did you like about my music?” Taehyun suddenly asks him.

 

 

Mino was taken aback by the unexpected question. “It was different. I felt different.”

 

 

Taehyun looked at him curiously. “How, was it different?”

 

 

“I, I don’t know. It’s different that’s why it’s so hard to explain and to understand.” 

 

 

“You didn’t answer my question at all.”

 

 

“What was I supposed to say? I told you, I don’t really get it.”

 

 

Taehyun gave a small chuckle. Mino was surprised because he never saw the weird kid laugh before. It actually felt pretty strange hearing his laugh and seeing his smile. Something didn’t feel right with his chest too. 

 

 

Taehyun removes the other pair of earphones in his ear and says, “So now you understand?”

 

 

“Understand what?”

 

 

“That sometimes, words are not enough and that not everything needs to be said.”  Taehyun reaches for his earphones and puts them back to his ears. Song Mino just stood there, looking at him, thinking back to the conversation they had before. 

 

 

Seungyoon happily bursts inside the room and approaches the two.

 

 

“Yo Mino! Have you listend to Taehyun’s CD? Did you——”

 

 

Mino quickly covers Seungyoon’s mouth and leads him to the other side of the room. “Shut your big mouth! We don’t have to talk about it right now!” He hissed, then he looks at Taehyun and sighs in relief seeing that he was already deep in thought with his earphones on.

 

 

Seungyoon removes Mino’s hand from his mouth. “What are you being so secretive about? It’s not like it’s something to be embarrassed about!” 

 

 

“I am not embarrassed! I just…I mean… he doesn’t need to know about it! Why does he need to know about it?”

 

 

Seungyoon laughs and pats his friend’s shoulders. “Whatever you say Mino, whatever you say.”

 


 

“Song Mino, I told you that instead of doing useless things that teenagers do nowadays, you have to study! Look at your grade! How will you pass this semester when I keep seeing Fs from you!” Mr. Yang hands Mino his test paper and gives a heavy sigh. 

 

 

“I think you should get a tutor.” 

 

 

Song Mino raises his head in shock. “Tutor? No, no, I don’t need a tutor Sir! I’m perfectly fine on my own! Today was just a bad day.”

 

 

His teacher chuckled in a mocking tone. “Bad day you say? Then everyday must have been a bad day for you for the past 3 years! Mr. Song, you have to think about your future too! I’ll find you a tutor among your classmates.”

 

 

Mino tried to argue back but to no avail. He exited his teacher’s office and headed towards the cafeteria for lunch.

 

 

“I don’t want to be stuck with an annoying nerd for the rest of my afternoons!” Mino thought. He surveys the area, thinking of possible candidates to be his tutor. 

 

 

“Hey, what’s your problem? Why are you being so sneaky.” Seungyoon nudges his friend’s shoulders and gives him a puzzled look.

 

 

Mino’s eyes grew wide in delight. “Aha! Yes, yes, yes you! My good friend! You could be my tutor!” Mino exclaimed as he hugs Seungyoon with all his love and affection. They were best friends after all. Seungyoon would be his savior.

 

 

“Hey, what are you doing? Let go, I’m eating!” Seungyoon frees himself from Mino’s grasp and shoves a spoonful of rice to his mouth. 

 

 

“So you’re okay with being my tutor?” Mino asks his friend, looking at him with puppy eyes, trying to use his aegyo with all his might. 

 

 

“Tutor? Me? To you? No way in hell!”

 

 

Mino gives him a dismayed face. “What are you saaaayingggg. I need my friend right now! How could you abandon me like this! All you think about is yourself!”

 

 

“I have to study too okay! And I could never study when I’m with you! You’re so easily distracted and you always like to play around or eat!” 

 

 

Mino motions Seungyoon to come closer and whispers to his ear, “That’s why I want you to be my tutor. You don’t need to teach me. We could just pretend that we’re meeting every afternoon to study but in reality, we’re not. You do your own thing and I do my own. So, deal?”

 

 

Seungyoon smacks Mino’s head and sighs. “That’s why you’re failing! You don’t have the initiative to study at all! And do you think I’d let you ruin my good reputation to the teachers? What would they think of me if you don’t improve on your grades even though I started tutoring you!”

 

 

“Mino, Yoon! What are you guys arguing about?” Seunghoon takes a seat as Jinwoo follows from behind. 

 

 

“This lazy wants me to tutor him! I wouldn’t do it even if you burn all my precious floral pants!” Seungyoon exclaimed.

 

 

“Hey Mino, why don’t you start taking your studies seriously? You’ll be needing decent grades when you get to senior year. Don’t you plan to go on college?” Hoon asks.

 

 

Mino hesitantly looks elsewhere and then gathers the courage to answer his friend’s question. “I want to pursue music.”

 

 

There was awkward silence. Seunghoon and Seungyoon looked at each other and then turned to Mino with doubtful stares. Their friend had the tendency to not think about things carefully and would just go for anything he sets his mind on. 

 

 

“So you want to be a singer? That’s so cool!” Jinwoo clapped his hands in delight, giving his all out support to his friend. Hoon tried to plaster a smile. Seungyoon just sighed. 

 

 

“Thanks Jinwoo. Don’t worry, you’ll see me one day in your television screens and you’ll be screaming your lungs out because of how cool and awesome I’ll be!”

 

 

“Whatever you say Mino, whatever you say.” Seungyoon mutters. Out of the corner of his eye, he sees Taehyun trying to find a seat. 

 

 

“Taehyun! Here! You can sit here!” Seungyoon screams as he waves his hand for Taehyun to see.

 

 

Mino felt a jolt at the sudden mention of Taehyun’s name. He turns around and sees the odd kid contemplating on whether he’ll accept Seungyoon’s offer or not.

 

 

Taehyun looks around and was about to reject the invitation when he sees that there are no more seats available. He walks towards the group’s table and sits down.

 

 

“Taehyun, this is Jinwoo and Seunghoon. Their both seniors but we’ve been childhood friends for a long time so we hang around a lot.” Seungyoon says.

 

 

“Hi Taehyun, nice to meet you.” Jinwoo gives him a soft smile. 

 

 

“Hey! So you can call me Hoon! You’re the genius kid right?” Hoon moves closer to Taehyun and puts his arms on the boy’s shoulders. “Is it true that you’re younger than us?”

 

 

Mino was surprised by Hoon’s sudden actions. He was acting like he’s best friends with Taehyun even though they’ve just met. He didn’t feel happy about it.

 

 

“Yes, I am. But, excuse me, can you please let go of me?” Taehyun demanded in a serious tone.

 

 

Mino smiles secretly.

 

 

Hoon quickly removes his hold on Taehyun and laughs. “Oh sorry, sorry, my bad!” You just looked so cute!”

 

 

Mino spits out the water that he was drinking.

 

 

“Ya! Mino! What’s your problem! You’re so gross!” Seungyoon, sitting next to Mino, was the victim of his friend’s sudden actions. He stands up and wipes his wet shirt and pants.

 

 

Jinwoo walks to Seungyoon's side and and helps him dry up. 

 

 

“Sorry, sorry! There was just something bothering me!” Mino scratches his head in frustration. What was his problem, really?

 

"Hey Mino, why are you so embarrassing! You know what we have a new kid over here and what you do is spit water all over the table!" Hoon teases Mino and gives a heartfelt laugh. 

 

 

Taehyun looked at the people he was with at the table, arguing, laughing, talking loudly with each other. He thought that they were annoying.

 

 

But they all looked happy.

 

 

“Before I forget.” Taehyun says then he grabs a bandana from his bag.

 

 

Mino looks at the familiar black bandana and realizes that it was his. Why does Taehyun have it? 

 

 

“Here. I think you forgot it when you brought me to the clinic. Again, thank you for helping me.” Taehyun held onto the bandana but his arms were extended not towards Mino, but to Seungyoon.

 

 

“Uhmm, I think there’s a misunderstanding. That’s not mine.” Seungyoon said as he smiled awkwardly.

 

 

“But the nurse told me that this was owned by the guy who brought me to the clinic.” Taehyun was confused. The nurse must have made a mistake.

 

 

“Taehyun, I was not the one who helped you. It was Mino.”

 


 

A/N: Sorry if it took me so long to update again! I’ve been busy with a lot of stuff (even though it’s summer) so I kinda had a writer’s block! I hope you like this chapter though! And I’m sorry if Namsong still hasn’t progressed to the lovey dovey couple by now. With this story, it’s kinda hard to quickly go into that considering the situation, their age and their personalities! I am not sure too how long I’ll be making this fic.

But anyway, thank you to my readers! If you have any thoughts or suggestions for the story, please do review! Thank you :)