First Working Day

The Castle of Cakes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Minami Megumi]

"Megu-nee-chan, I love you! Be careful on your way!" Hinata waved frantically next to Takeru who was standing coolly. Both were already in front of their school gate.

Mirai waved back and yelled: "You, too, Takeru, Hinata! Be good kids!"

Several people looked at her, which she responded by smiling widely at them, not thinking too much about disturbing the peace. She continued walking to her school that was not too far from her siblings' elementary school. While walking, she thought about her siblings. Hinata was like her usual cheerful self. While Takeru was....

'Since when Takeru turns that cold? He looks older that way. Ah, it's been two months? Three? Since onii-san disappeared.'

She felt a sudden sharp pain.

'We were much dependant on onii-san. Does he feel tired taking care of us?'–she shook her head–'No. No. No. Nii-san is a kind person. He won't be like that. I believe he is somewhere, thinking about us, too. Wherever you are, Nii-san, please stay safe.'

000

[Suzuki Daichi]

Daichi rubbed his sore cheek absentmindedly while looking at the garden below. The previous night, upon returning home, his parents were there. His mother was angry, because he didn’t tell anyone of going somewhere. Daichi, upset Daichi, answered his mother back. And his father, disapproved his action, had punched his left cheek. The result was the blue spot. Quite big, in his opinion. “Damn it. Am I a punching bag?”

“Suzuki~kun.”

He recognized that voice. The sweet voice that belonged to—

“Kayoko-sensei!”–he turned his body to stare at the Counseling Teacher of Meifu Private School and smiled widely–“Ah, you look so beautiful as usual. You look younger than your real age! Did you wear a new suit? It looks better that the one you wore yesterday.”

Kayoko-sensei smiled widely before she put her infamous poker face. Standing akimbo, she said, “Don’t sweet talk me. It’s no longer working. What did I tell you about your language, huh? And, what are you doing here? This place is off-limits and this is time for class. Are you skipping?”

Indeed. It was ten o’clock in the morning and the class was still going in. He was already on the rooftop since morning; moving from one spot to the other spots, from one pose to the other poses.

Grinning widely with a bit sign of guilt, he replied: “Eh … no? Of course, no. I’m just keeping a watch on our garden. You know … to see if there is anyone skipping.”

“Oh?”

“Yes, of course, Sensei. I was just going to be back before you came.”

Kayoko-sensei doesn’t buy his reason. She turned her body to go downstairs. “Come to the counseling room, now. But before that, go to the clinic and let Nishida-sensei take care of that bruise.”

Daichi was speechless. Nodding, he cursed his luck.

000

[Minami Megumi]

“Megu-chan, later, we are going to Shindaita Book Store. Fukuda-sensei’s new book is launched today. Kaori-chan wants to see if her ordered book has been available. Mako-chan is just tagging along.” Hinako said after munching her food.

Megumi and her three close friends, Mizushima Kaori, Kawahara Hinako, and Asahina Makoto, were sitting on the corner of the classroom, eating their bentos. Megumi blinked. “You are?”

“Yes. I’m bored at home! School is just as cruel as ever!” Makoto said with her high spirit self.

“You just went to karaoke yesterday, Mako-chan.” Megumi laughed.

Makoto put her tongue out.

The four of them laughed together. Makoto really loved going out with friends. She was usually the one who suggested going somewhere. Even for their class’ vacation plan; she was the one who proposed most places to visit.

“So, you will go with us later after school, right?” Hinako asked Megumi.

Megumi bit her lower lip. “I’m really sorry. But, today, I start working in Shimo. As a part-timer at a cake shop.”

“You work?!” Her three friends asked her loudly; Hinako and Makoto did, while Kaori just stared at her.

“Sssshhh. Don’t be loud.”

“Why do you work? If Mimura-sensei hears about this, she will be furious.” Hinako looked around as she said this.

The classroom was empty. Only four people were inside: them. It was to be expected, since most students liked to be in school cafeteria. Or eating on the garden. Basically, during recess, the classroom was ruled by the four girls.

Makoto lifted his brow. “Which Mimura-sensei?”

“Emiko-sensei, of course. Chieko-sensei will be fine if there is a reason.” Kaori reasoned. “Why do you work?”

Megumi put the  lid of her bento. She smiled sadly. “Nii-san is not back yet. We still have money for school and so on. But, for the others, I think I need to manage by my self.”

“Oh, Megu-chan….” Hinako patted her hands with affection. “Everything will be alright.”

“I’m really sorry for breaking my promise.”

Makoto grinned. “Don’t think about that, Megu-chan. We can go somewhere sometime. We can even visit your shop!”

“Just make sure that no one knows of this, okay?” Kaori said, smiling. “We will keep this a secret.”

Megumi nodded frantically. “Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.”

“That’s what friends for.”

"And don't hesitate to tell us if you ever have any problem, 'kay!"

They hugged.

000

[Suzuki Daichi]

“Daichi-kun, where were you? You turned off— What’s with your cheek?” Masako asked him as soon as he stepped inside his classroom.

Masako Hyouzuka was one of his classmates. She sat on the desk two rows away from his. It was no secret that the girl held a feeling for him. He felt grateful for her feeling, but he couldn't accept it. "Thanks for your concern, but it's nothing, Hyouzuka-san." Daichi grinned although he felt sore.

"Are you sure?"

"I am. Have you seen Kouji?"

"Kouji-kun? I think he was still in the lab. He messed up with his experiment."

Daichi sighed. He forgot that there was science in the morning. Kouji was quite clumsy. Of course there was bound to be something wrong with the experiment. "Thank you. I will go there. You know Kouji. He will need my help there."

Daichi smiled at her before going out of the class. Masako's cheeks had turned red. ‘Daichi-kun will be the cause of my death. He is so charming…! Kyaaah!’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter