First Meeting

The Castle of Cakes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Minami Megumi]

“Megu-chan, let’s go to karaoke. You will join us, won’t you?” someone asked from the door.

Megumi looked up from some papers on her table. “I’m sorry, Hinako-chan. I don’t think I can join you.”

Kaori frowned as she approached her. “Why? It’s unusual. Do you have a prior plan?”

“Not really.”—Megumi smiled—“I’m just going to do some walking and buying some cakes for Hinata. She’s been craving sweets for a while.”

“I see. Do you want me to accompany you?”

Megumi shook her head ‘no’. “It’s fine. Just go to karaoke. I’m just buying cakes. I will directly go home after that.”

“If you say so.”

“Extend my apology to the others, okay?”

Hinako nodded.

“I will join you all the next time. I promise.”

Hinako smiled. “Okay. Be careful on your way, ’kay? I’m gonna head up with the others.”

“En. Have fun!”

Hinako waved at her and went out of the classroom; leaving Megumi alone. She sighed softly. On the table, the papers were full with numbers. The bills were piling up and her saving was running out. She had to cut her own pocket money for the last three weeks, waiting patiently for news about her brother’s whereabouts. “Nii-san, where are you?”

She closed her eyes and leaned back on her chair. The sounds of student down there were cheerful. They were having fun. She wondered if any of them ever had monetary problem as she did. Not everyone was given the scholarship. Not everyone was orphan.

She sighed.

Opening her eyes, she forced a smile out on her face. “Well, it’s about the time I should be independent. Nii-san has been supporting us alone for too long. I hope there is a job vacancy with good payment.”

She tidied the papers on her table; all while counting the total bills she had in her head. She focused on the minimum wage she needed to pay the bills. She had made resolution. She would work.

"Everything's gonna be alright. Yes. Everything is."

000

[Suzuki Daichi]

“Daichi, do you want to go with me?” Kouji asked Daichi who was putting his books inside his locker.

“To where?”

“Shimokitazawa. I’m gonna buy cakes.”

Daichi glanced at him while closing his locker. “That’s two stations from here, isn’t it?”

Kouji nodded doubtfully. “I’m not sure. That’s why I ask you to accompany me. Please?”

“No. Thank you.” Direct shot down.

“My mother told me to buy them by my self. And no driver either. Please, Daichi? I will treat you later.”

Daichi frowned. ‘Of course. His mother really wants him to be independent. How can he be the president of his company if he is like this? But … it is two stations away. I’m not sure—’ He grinned widely; scaring Kouji. “Sure. I will go with you.”

Kouji stared at him with awe. “Really? Whoa, I was so sure that you would refuse. So, let’s—”

‘I did refuse you at first.’ Daichi thought.

“—tell your driver that you won’t be back with him so that he won't be worried.”

Daichi huddled the taller boy and shook his head. “No, Kouji. No. We won’t tell him anything. Let’s just head to Komabatodaimae station right away.”

“But—”

“No buts," Daichi said with finality. "I heard the stations are busy at this time of the day~."

"Are you sure? How about your mother?"

"Ma~ ma~,  don't think too much, Kouji. You want to go or not? I might change my decision, you know."

'Let's go' was the hurried response Kouji give to Daichi. The two friends strode in the corridor out of the prestigious school. The tall boy looked nervous; like a person with constipation problem. The other one was grinning; happiness flew out of his face’s pores. They passed the parking area without any care, intentionally avoiding a shiny black BMW whose driver was standing still next to the car door.

000

[Minami Megumi]

“Anything else?” she asked to the person on the other side. “Okay. Could you give the phone to Takeru?”

She paused.

“Takeru? Hmmm, I think I’m gonna be a little later than usual.”

She nodded and made some murmuring sounds. “Yes…. Yes…. Right. Wait at home with Hinata.”

She paused again.

“I’ll be back as soon as possible…. Yes…. Okay, I’m hanging up. Hmmm. Okay. Bye.”

She pressed the end button on her cell phone and flipped her phone off. She was currently outside of the Shimokitazawa station. People rushed in and out of the station. She was gonna put her cell phone inside her bag when someone brushed against her right shoulder, making her yellow phone fly out of her hand and almost got stepped on by the people.

“Hey!” she shrieked.

A tall boy stopped of his run to bow at her; she supposed that it was him who brushed against her. “I’m sorry, Miss. I’m really sorry!”

“Watch where you—!”

Before she finished her sentence, the boy already resumed running all while calling onto something, or someone, named Daichi. Grumbling, she bent over and took her phone; ignoring the look people give her. Fortunately, the phone was safe and sound without any single scratch. “What a rude person. If my phone were broken, I will look for you and demand a new phone.”

She didn’t have spare money to cover for a lack of phone.

000

[Suzuki Daichi]

Daichi stared at his phone. He was slightly upset. There was no call. There was no message. It was already m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter