Chapter 4 - Welcome Party

Corporate Cutie

No One POV

Ryeowook hesitantly got dressed for work, although it was a beautiful clear day, he clearly did not want to go. Having to face his colleagues after his embarrassing mishap made his heart palpitate. He slowly made his way down the stairs, step by step, reaching the bottom with an undeniable urge to head straight back upstairs.

Looking up and seeing Yesung waving at him from across the street changed his mind, Ryeowook gave the elder a smile and walked over to him and was surprised to see his mother getting out of the car, he bowed.

“Umma, what are you doing here?” He asked her since it was weird that she would come by herself, she never goes anywhere with her husband. He glanced at Yesung, who had what looked to be a strained expression on his face, Ryeowook got the feeling he knew what his mother was here about.

“Well, I’ve come because your father asked me. He wants to know if you have made a decision yet?”

Decision? Ryeowook blinked and then it clicked, with everything going on at work he had completely forgotten about the stack of folders on his coffee table containing his future wife. In truth, he had quickly read through the profiles of the nine women and was instantly put off that most of the girls were taller than him.

It saddened him that his mother hadn’t come just because she wanted to see him but on the instructions of his stepfather, he disliked that Leeteuk’s dad had such a dominant effect over his mother but since she was content with her husband, Ryeowook turned a blind eye and doesn’t bother with it anymore.

“I’m still deciding Mother considering I’m going to be stuck with this person for the rest of my life.” Ryeowook said with a hint of disdain in his voice, he turned away from his mother. “Yesung, take her home. I’ll walk to work.” He said dismissively and started to walk up the street, in direction of his work.

The car drove past him, his mother looked sad when he saw her in the window and waved to her until the car disappeared from view, not even sure if she looked back. He sighed and kept walking until he got to the main street, bustling with people rushing to get to work.

Cars honked at pedestrians that decided to jaywalk in an attempt to make it to work on time. Ryeowook pushed the button again, waiting for the red man to turn green. The people behind him were getting too impatient and began shoving the ones in front closer to the curb, he stepped back only to be pushed forward more so that he was standing on the curb.

The red man turned green, Ryeowook got shoved and jostled around as people hurried past him, he lost his balance and fell on his hands and knees on the rough road. He looked up only to get a bag to the face.

“Yah!!! He shouted to passer-by’s but they ignored him.

Ryeowook stood up, on his left he saw a young woman also on the ground, she was asking passer-by’s for help but they walked right past her like she wasn’t there. He felt sorry for the woman and made his way over to her.

“Miss, are you alright?” He asked kneeling down beside her.

The woman looked at him, pushing away the lock of stray hair from her face. Relief was evident on her face as she smiled at Ryeowook, her pretty features made him blush slightly.

“I’m alright, I just got back from the States today. I forgot how impatient we Koreans are.” She replied wiping dirt off her expensive clothes.

Ryeowook helped her up and escorted her to a bus stop bench, he found out her name was Sooyoung and she was 3 years younger than he was despite her height. They ended up chatting for a good twenty minutes before Ryeowook realised he was late for work.

“Thank you for helping me, Ryeowook.” Sooyoung hugged him, as they parted she asked for his phone. “I’ll give you my number, I owe you for helping me so if you need help or just want to chat, ring me.” She told him before walking away.

Ryeowook watched her go, if he wasn’t into dudes, he would have asked her out on a date. He liked her, she wasn’t fake like most girls he saw or met. He hoped that the girl he chooses is just like Sooyoung.

Strangely enough he saw himself getting married to Sooyoung and imagined what married like would be like with her as he made his way to work.

````````````

Heechul stepped out of his office, juggling the pile of paperwork in his arms, making his way to Ryeowook’s cubicle. He placed the stack of folders on the desk and looked around the work area, his sharp eyes searching.

“Has anyone seen Cutie?” He asked to no one in particular.

Shindong heard Heechul’s question and stopped typing, he peered over his cubicle.

“He hasn’t come in yet. I think he’s late.” He informed the older and went back to his typing. Heechul nodded pursing his lips.

“Okay, when he get here, let me know.” He said as he sauntered off heading straight to Siwon and Hyukjae’s office. He smiled as he approached the doors, Donghae was on the phone and signalled that it was okay for him to go in.

Heechul gave Donghae a wink before he pushed the door open and entered the room, both Siwon and Hyukjae were completely engrossed in their paperwork that cluttered their desks that neither looked up as he entered and sat down on one of the empty chairs.

After sitting for a few minutes, Heechul squirmed in his chair, the silence was nerve-wrecking and uncomfortable. The only sounds heard were the turning of pages and the scribbling of pens.

“Heechul, What do you want?”

Heechul jumped at the sudden question, Siwon looked at the elder with raised eyebrows wondering why he was sitting in the office. They didn’t have any consultations or meetings planned today.  

‘Well, Ryeowook has been here for two months and I was wondering if we could throw a welcoming party for him?”

Siwon put down his pen and leaned back in his chair, he had forgotten that Ryeowook was a newbie, it felt like the younger has been at the company since forever. It was a long standing tradition that anyone who started at the company was given a party, it would be a shame to leave Ryeowook out.

“Okay, organise it. Lavish or cheap, I don’t care.” He said nodding, continuing with his work. Heechul stood up and gave a slight bow before walking to the door.

“That was easy.” He mumbled as he opened the door and left for his own office.

“I think you threw him off.” Hyukjae commented as he made himself a cup of coffee

“Why?” Siwon looked at his brother.

‘The fact that you are so agreeable with anything concerning the newbie. Do you like him Siwon?” Hyukjae asked bluntly as his brother went quiet, his cheeks turning pink.

“I’ll take that as a yes.” He laughed before going back to his desk, Hyukjae quickly and discreetly sent Heechul a message. Telling him to look for an intimate place to have the party. He smiled to himself, anything to help his little brother out.

 

Ryeowook POV

I had only just sat down and not even two minutes passed when Sungmin, Donghae and Shindong appeared in my cubicle. The three of them looked like they were itching to tell me something. I crossed my arms and waited but none of them spoke.

“Are you guys gonna talk or do I have to guess?” I asked and started doing motions for Charades. Sungmin stops my hands moving and leans in closer.

“Two words, Ryeowook. Party time.” He whispers, I tilt my head to the side.

“Huh?”

“Tonight is your welcoming party and I heard that the place Heechul reserved for it is awesome.” Shindong told me while busting out some half-hearted dance moves.

They are having a party for me? I almost felt honoured and then my memory recalls what happened the last time I went out. I don’t want to go to this party but it’s in my honour and I am not gonna disrespect my workmates by not showing up, I was raised better than that.

I’ll ask Leeteuk and Kangin and see if they want to come along as well but I’m pretty sure they might already be invited. The trio left after gushing about the party, apparently I’m the first newbie the company has had in 3 years and from what I’ve been told, unless the bosses are in the mood, no one has company dinners without them present.

I found that to be weird and total bullocks coz I know for a fact that with a stressful job as this, you tend to go out drinking more and the employees that work for my brother are always having company dinner without them. Maybe Choi and Lee employees don’t see the point in not having dinners without their bosses.

I shrugged it off, sighing as I finally noticed the stack of files on my desk and started to work, I had to make up for the hour that I was late.

Hours Later……………

I pulled on the ridiculous tie my brother brought me to wear, usually I don’t have a problem with ties but this one is irritating me. I hated feeling suffocated by my clothing, Kangin looks back from the front seat and chuckles at how uncomfortable I look.

“Cheer up, Wookie! You look great!.” He said giving me a thumbs up, I frown at him and cross my arms.

“Hyung, can I take this blasted tie off?!” I exclaim desperately, Leeteuk looks in the rear view mirror at me, his expression a mixture of confusion and annoyance.

“Yah, what is with you tonight? You wear ties all the time for work.”

“I think he is nervous that a certain CEO will be present.” Kangin teases, my eyes shoot mental daggers at him, and he makes a heart sign in response.

“Is that true, Wook? You like Siwon?” Leeteuk asks me.

All of a sudden it feels like I’m in the back seat of a cop car undergoing an interrogation, it wouldn’t do much if I just stay quiet. If anything, it will only confirm it as true. Which it is but I didn’t want my brother to know what’s going on in the relationship aspect of my life.

I haven’t even had much experience so I don’t know how to handle or approach it and then there is the fact that I have yet to still pick out a future bride.

“I do like him.” I confessed. “But we both know that I can’t do anything about it.”

Kangin opened his mouth to talk, no doubt to share his wisdom, but my brother silences him and gave him a look that only Kangin would know what it means. The rest of the car ride was silent, I loosened my tie since I’m forbidden to remove it.

I think back to what Kangin said before, am I really just nervous about seeing Siwon? I shouldn’t though, it’s only been maybe a month and a half since I started working. I am no specialist but it takes more time than that to really fall for someone and I doubt that Siwon likes me more than just a colleague of his.

We pulled up in front of the place Heechul reserved for tonight, I feel a little less nervous since I actually know this place and the nerves disappear entirely when I see Yesung standing outside, waiting with a small smile on his face, leaning against the wall.

I quickly get out of the car and walk over to him leaving Leeteuk and Kangin in the car, when I reached him I saw that my brother and Kangin had just gotten out and were giving the keys to the valet.

“How did you know it was my welcoming party tonight?” I inquired curiously.

It’s hard to believe that this was a coincidence and that Heechul knows Yesung or the fact that he sings here two nights a week. Yesung grinned and went between Leeteuk and Kangin, putting his arms around them.

“You can thank these two, Heechul didn’t know what kind of places you liked so Leeteuk told him about this place and I was persuaded to sing for you tonight.” He says removing his hands from their shoulders.

Maybe I should start singing praises about my brother from now on, not only did he suggest this place but to have Yesung sing for me as well will have me in a relaxed mood for the entire night. All my worries and nerves are completely gone, I couldn’t be more content.

“Then what are we waiting for? Let’s go inside and hear you bring the house down.” I said taking Yesung away from Leeteuk and Kangin and walked into the establishment arm in arm.

The whole bar and lounge area have been reserved and by the looks of it, Heechul invited practically everyone that works on our floor. I recognise most of the faces and I notice everyone is wearing casual yet formal clothing and I instantly want to take off the tie.

I spot Shindong waving at us from across the dimly lit room, Yesung leaves in direction of the small stage set up in the corner. After weaving in and out of people and saying hello, we finally get to the table and have drinks waiting for us with a table of already tipsy workmates.

“Ryeowook!!!” Shindong bellows overzealously with two full shot glasses in his hands, I take the glass from him.

Following his example, I down the shot, the clear liquid burns my throat on its way down. I usually don’t drink but I guess I’m gonna have to tonight, since I can’t refuse if they buy me a drink, I’ll just pace myself or have Kangin watch out for me, he has a sixth sense when it comes to knowing when people are at their drinking limit, he’s like Yoda or something.

Saying my hellos was easy since I didn’t have to introduce Leeteuk and Kangin, seeing as everyone already knows them. I’ve done a full circle of the table when I reach the last person, my heart quickens when we make eye contact.

He greets me with his handsome smile that makes his eyes crinkle slightly in the corners, I smile back, thanking God that the lights are dim because I’m certain that my face is pink. Siwon gestures for me to sit down in the seat next to him, Hyukjae is on the other side of him cuddling up with Donghae, they make a cute couple.

I sit down and he puts out his hand in front of me, I look down at the offered hand with a little confusion but I take it nonetheless.

“I’m officially welcoming you to the company. Sorry it took so long to give you one of these.” He says unknowingly keeping my hand in his. I can feel the warmth and heat of his skin seeping into mine.

“That’s okay,” was all I said, still not sure what to do. Siwon was still holding my hand, I liked it but he couldn’t hold it all night as much as I would like him too.

“Umm…Can I have my hand back?” I ask shyly, Siwon looks down.

“Sorry.” He says surprised and let’s go, I immediately feel disappointed at the loss of contact but brighten up when I hear Yesung’s voice and turn around to see him on the stage.

“Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen, I’m Yesung and I’ll be your Dj and performer for tonight.”

He gets a few wolf whistles and grins in response, the lights fade out entirely and a spotlight is put on Yesung. The music starts and I close my eyes as his sweet angelic voice fills the room.

 

No One POV

Siwon sits back observing Ryeowook, his movements and expressions intriguing him even further. Who was this man with the amazing voice? How can Ryeowook look completely at peace with not a care in the world?

The lights come back on when the singer finishes his first set, applause and choruses of encore filling the room, he bows in all directions before turning off the microphone and stepping off the stage.

Leaving the table, Ryeowook meets the singer halfway in the crowd, giving the man an intimate hug, Siwon’s muscles clench as he watched the interaction between the two. He pours himself a shot, quickly downing it without a chaser to follow, the alcohol leaves a burning sensation in his throat.

Ryeowook comes back to the table with Yesung and introduces him to his colleagues, all sang their praises about his performance. Sungmin and Donghae, in their state of drunkenness, enquired if he was single followed by playful winks and air kisses.

Kyuhyun and Hyukjae were not pleased by their boyfriend’s behaviour, Heechul asked the same question and gave him a card with his personal details on the back.

“I thought you were interested in Hangeng?” Shindong slurs, Heechul gives the chubby man a light slap on the arm and sculls his beer before speaking.

“I tried, believe me but even I can’t make him turn gay. He has a thing for his iddy biddy secretary, LiYin, I think her name is.” He says pointing to Hangeng, who was seated at another table, talking animatedly with a beautiful petite woman.

“Don’t worry Heechul, there a plenty of fish in the sea and rest assured that Yesung is into men. You are totally his type.” Leeteuk added.

Ryeowook shot his brother a glare and sat Yesung down next to him, pouring him a drink. Everyone joined in for another shot except Siwon, Ryeowook noticed he hasn’t drunk much at all, maybe because it was only the middle of the week but other than that he looked as if he was bothered by something.

“So Yesung, I have a question for you and you don’t have to answer it but I would prefer if you would. Have you and Ryeowook dated before?”

Yesung choked mid-shot, spraying liquid everywhere, Ryeowook’s eyes widened at the question, he laughed a little as he patted Yesung’s back.

“Well?”

“Wrong brother, Heechul.” Kangin adds from out of nowhere, gesturing to Leeteuk with a sombre expression on his face, causing the smile of my brother’s face to vanish.

“Okay, let’s do another round of shots!” Ryeowook exclaimed trying to steer the conversation before it went into a topic three people were sensitive about.

The table was silent and tense, Ryeowook cast a glance at his brother and Kangin and then to Yesung. There was a lot of history between the three of them, even though nobody talked about it, they’d assume that the three of them were over it but it was clear to Ryeowook’s eyes that it wasn’t.

The distrust and hurt were still lingering around the three of them. Leeteuk and Kangin are the perfect couple but the foundation for it is built on layers or love, betrayal, trust issues and insecurity.

Lucky for Ryeowook and to his relief, Heechul agreed to his suggestion of more shots, the earlier conversation was not discussed any further. Sungmin and Heechul went to the bar to grab the drinks while Yesung got up and headed toward the stage again to prepare for his next set. Ryeowook caught up with him and walked with him to the stage.

“I’m sorry about Heechul, Yesung.” He apologised to the older, sitting on the edge of the makeshift stage, his head lowered.

“Don’t worry about it, Wook. People are naturally curious nowadays.” Yesung said ruffling Ryeowook’s hair, his eyes downcast.

“You still love my brother, don’t you? That’s why you stayed on as our family driver even though it would painful to see them together.”

Yesung went silent and gazed at Ryeowook, his eyes vulnerable and hurt. Ryeowook suddenly wished he hadn’t said anything, he wished he could take it back. Yesung stood behind the microphone, hands gripping the stand. Ryeowook moved to leave when Yesung stopped him.

“It does hurt but I don’t regret it, not one it of it. Love isn’t about being with the one you love, just being a part of their life enough. It doesn’t matter if they love someone else, the feeling of being loved is greater than being in love.”

Yesung told him with finality as the lights dimmed again and he started singing the most heartbreakingly beautiful song Ryeowook had ever heard.

``````````

“Xiah, what are we doing here?” Zhoumi asked as he looked around the alley they were in. Rats scurried away under the overflowing dumpsters that were up against the brick wall of the buildings.

Xiah had said that he wanted to go out, this wasn’t what Zhoumi had in mind, he looked at his friend in confusion wondering why he wasn’t saying anything, it made Zhoumi a bit anxious. The fact that the two of them were alone in an alley, only heightened his anxiety. Who knows what could happen?

Xiah smirked at how unsettled Zhoumi looked and stopped walking.

“I haven’t been honest with you, Zhoumi.” He began, Zhoumi tilted his head to the side.

“You are no doubt a pure soul, that’s why it was oh so easy to become your friend.” His voice had a sinister feel to it.

“What are you saying, Xiah? What’s wrong with you?”

“You are close with Kim Ryeowook, are you not?”

“What has Ryeowook got to do with this?”

Xiah sighed, his jaw clenching in frustration that Zhoumi was answering hi questions with more questions. Zhoumi eyed Xiah, what was his interest with Ryeowook. He looked very pissed off, Zhoumi found it hard to process that Ryeowook had rustled Xiah’s feathers, that boy was so sweet and innocent and was as cautious as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

“I don’t know why you want to know about Ryeowook but I’m not telling you anything so goodbye and hope we never see each other again.” Zhoumi warned and turned to leave only to get grabbed by two men. He tried to shove them away but they proved to be too strong for him.

Xiah stepped forward and grabbed Zhoumi’s chin harshly, his fingers digging into the skin, jerking his stubborn head to face him.

“Listen well, Zhoumi. You are going to be my little spy from now on. Don’t even bother trying to tell someone, I have connection in very high places. If you utter so much as a word of this, I’ll have your citizenship revoked and accuse you of being in Korea illegally.”

Zhoumi’s face paled at what Xiah was saying, his heart ached at the prospect of hurting Ryeowook. If he didn’t do it, the consequences would be to dire to imagine. His family in China were depending on him, Korea was the only place he could get a well laying job to provide for his family and protect them from the mercy of relentless debt collectors.

“Fine, I’ll do it but you have to swear you will not harm my family.” Zhoumi said, his heart sinking further and further, his body slumped in defeat.

“That depends on how well you do,” Xiah commented taking out a cell phone from his pocket and putting it in Zhoumi’s hand. “Keep this on you at all times, meet up with Ryeowook as many times as you can without raising suspicion. I want reports on who he is with, what he does in his spare time, every fricken little detail.”

Zhoumi only nodded, placing the phone in his pocket. The two men holding him let him go and went to stand behind Xiah.

“See you in a few days, Zhoumi-ah.” Xiah said smugly as he walked away with his henchmen in tow leaving Zhoumi standing in the quiet alley, tears of helplessness, shame and frustration trickled down his cheeks.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

oh my gosh, apologies for being so slow updating.

anyway, enjoy and let me know what you think. :)