Chapter Two

Tainted Serenity

Yesung woke up to the sound of Ryeowook's alarm blaring on his sensitive ears. Groaning, he glanced on his own alarm clock and had to wonder why he bothered having one when he was either woken up by Ryeowook's alarm or Siwon tickling him awake. At the thought of Siwon, he immediately get off the bed and head towards Ryeowook's room. It was on the far end of the long corridor and he has to keep himself from making unnecessary noise as to not wake the others. This, however, is a feat to accomplish given that vampires have highly sensitive ears. Once in front of Ryeowook's room, he gently knocked on the door.

"Wookie?"

He heard a rustling of sheets followed by a thud before the door opened, revealing a sleepy Ryeowook. Yesung gave out a small smile at the sight of him, hair all tousled up and cradling a stuffed giraffe. Anyone who would see him in this state would probably not believe that he was a respected vampire. Well, as if anyone knew of their existence being real. Vampires like him were often labeled as dangerous. Those made up stories of them being spawns of evil weren't helpful as well.

On contrary to popular beliefs, they weren't as evil as humans thought them to be. Yes, vampires hunt and human blood. And even if he disliked the fact that older vampires end up killing their human preys due to their insatiable hunger, he knew they had to do it to survive. Just like humans' need to survive by stuffing food in their stomachs, vampires were the same. Only it's not bread but blood. It was a matter of survival. Besides, younger generation of vampires eat human food like steak and meat. Heechul's clan was one of the younger generation and the most powerful clan. Heechul was even the youngest, by vampire age, member of their Vampire Council. His thoughts were cut short by Ryeowook's voice,slightly bemused that his sleep was interrupted.

"Yesung, what do you want?"

Remembering his purpose on waking Ryeowook, he smiled and held his dongsaeng's hand. "Wook, help me cook something for Siwon. I want to make him breakfast as peace offering."

Ryeowook's grumpiness vanished and a teasing smile appeared. "How cute! But I'd rather not let you destroy our kitchen. Heechul would be furious."

"That's why I'm asking for your help, Wookie. I just don't want Siwonnie to be mad anymore."

"No."

"Please, please. C’mon, Wookie, Siwon's going to wake up in an hour." Yesung begged a pout visible on his lips.

Ryeowook chuckled softly at his hyung's childish antics. Technically, Yesung was older than him in human years. But he was already at least a hundred years old. He had forgotten of his real age, really. He was one of those turned vampires, a human made into a vampire. It was Heechul who turned him and from then on, he was at the latter's service.

"Okay, I'll help you make breakfast. How's eggs and bacon sound? And you'll be in charge of the coffee", Ryeowook told Yesung, leading the way to the kitchen. In a span of minutes, Yesung was on his way to Siwon's room, balancing in his hands a tray full of his favorite breakfast: eggs, bacon, toast and a pot of black coffee. Humming his favorite tune, he nudged open Siwon's door and smiled at the scene in front of him. There was Siwon sleeping peacefully on his bed, shirtless. Looking at Siwon's toned abs developed into perfection, he couldn't help but feel jealous at his bestfriend. Siwon was one of the strongest vampires and was one of the few pure bloods in the younger generation. He was grateful that someone like Siwon befriended a bastard like him. He was half-human, not that he's not proud of his human blood, but other older vampires consider him as food. A pathetic, weakling living off of Heechul's influence and charity. He sometimes hear them call him as a charity case or a bastard. He knew that what they said were all true but it still hurts. He sighed and shook away those thoughts. He still had to wake Siwon and make him eat breakfast.

Putting the tray on the far end of Siwon's bed, he sat on the bed and proceeded to tickle Siwon. After many futile attempts, he decided to use another method. Stradling Siwon, he started shaking the other vampire on the chest. He was starting to be annoyed when suddenly; strong arms took hold of his waist and flipped him over.

"What are you doing?" Siwon growled but Yesung noticed that he was smiling.

"Uhm, waking you up?"

Siwon let go of him and sit up on the bed. He saw the tray laden with food and grinned. "Is this for me?"

Yesung bolted up enthusiastically and crawled towards the tray. He motioned for Siwon to lean on the headboard before putting the tray on his lap.

"Please don't be mad at me anymore Siwonnie. I hate it when you're like that with me."

Siwon sighed and looked away. He didn't mean to snap at Yesung like that but he didn't trust that Cho Kyuhyun. He did smell of demons and he was afraid that he'll do something bad to Yesung. But it was the way he stared at Yesung that angered him more. He was eye-ing Yesung! And there's that outright flirting with Yesung. So of course, he had to protect innocent Yesung from the likes of Kyuhyun. It took a lot of his willpower not to grab that human and break his bones. If he lost control, he could not imagine the things that Heechul will do to him for risking the safety of their clan. But still, Cho better stay away from Yesung or he couldn't promise that he'll act rationally. Releasing another sigh, he looked at the half human beside him only to find him on a verge of tears.

"Hey, hey...what's wrong?" He asked, lifting Yesung's chin upwards to make the other looked at him.

"Y-You're still mad. I'd been calling you a few times already and you're ignoring me."

Siwon's gaze softened and rumpled Yesung's hair, ignoring the latter's cry of "Don't ruin my hair!". Yesung was really a kid. So innocent and childish.

"I'm not mad anymore Yeye. I was just thinking."

"About?"

"About how much of a kid you are. I can't believe you're older than me Yeye hyung" Siwon teased, cutting a piece of bacon and stuffing it in Yesung's mouth.

"I'm not a kid! It was you who was acting like one."

The rest of the morning was spent with them teasing each other and laughing. Yesung was glad that Siwon wasn't mad anymore and even walked him to his Music Club. After bidding goodbye, he pushed open the door and was surprised to see Cho Kyuhyun inside. The other boy was talking with one of his club members, D.O. He decided to ignore the boy but the moment Kyuhyun saw him, he immediately walked towards him wearing that same annoying smirk.

"Good morning, Yesung. So when are you free?"

Yesung stared at him, confused. "What do you mean?"

Kyuhyun chuckled; the vampire in front of him sure was fun to toy with. "When are you free for my piano lessons?"

Yesung gaped at him in confusion before glaring at the hunter. "I never said that I'll teach you. If you want it so badly, I'll ask Ryeowook to do it."

Kyuhyun pouted and stared at Yesung with big, doe-like eyes. "You have to be the one to teach me Yesungie"

Yesung heaved a sigh as he placed his things on the table. He couldn't understand why Kyuhyun had to be this stubborn. Turning to face the hunter, he asked him why. He wasn't the club's best pianist. And even if he agreed, he already told Siwon that he will keep his distance. Not because he believed that Kyuhyun's dangerous, though. If anything, it was him who might be dangerous for the said boy. He might be a weak vampire but he believed he was a lot stronger than an average human. If Kyuhyun did end up as a threat, he could defend himself.

"Let's say that you owe me for what your friend did to me yesterday." Kyuhyun replied, noting the way the raven's eyes widened in remembrance. He wasn't exactly hurt, just caught off guard. And he knew that he's pulling a dirty trick but whatever works for the timid vampire? He'll use it. And he just loved the reaction he's getting from the clueless boy.

"B-But...but..."

"Does it mean that you tolerate such behavior? Are you perhaps a fan of violence huh?" Kyuhyun taunted.

Yesung puffed his cheeks indignantly. "Of course not! Fine, I'll teach you. But just until you learn the basics okay?"

Kyuhyun grinned wickedly. "That's good. I'll meet you here tomorrow after class then?"

"O-Okay"

"See you then. Try not to miss me that much, Yesungie"

With that, Kyuhyun headed for the door but not before giving Yesung a wink. Yesung blushed and looked away. Then a realization hit him. Walking towards D.O, he tapped him by the shoulder.

"D.O, did you give my name to Kyuhyun?" He asked gently. The younger boy shook his head. "I didn't. He came here and asked me if I was part of the club."

"I see."

"And oh, he did asked me what's a good nickname for your name hyung"

Yesung went silent after that. When the rest of his club members arrived, he tried to focus on their activity for the day. Somehow, he had a nagging feeling bubbling inside him. He just couldn't pinpoint what it was about.

Kyuhyun didn’t even bother removing his shoes as he entered his apartment. Careful not to drop his Chinese take-out, he placed his things on the small maroon sofa in the living room. It was just beginning to get dark but his apartment was too dark, too cold for his comfort. It was actually funny how he still felt that way when he was living on this shabby apartment for years. Alone.

“I’m home.” He whispered to no one. Letting out a bitter chuckle, he sat on the sofa, the television and ate his food in silence. He mentally scolded himself. He shouldn’t be feeling melancholic anymore. It’s been years since his family died a tragic death. His dad, his mom and his older sister Ara, they’ve all been killed. Brutally murdered in their own house. The police weren’t able to solve the case. They didn’t find out who the murderer was. And so the investigation was stopped and abandoned. He could still remember the words of the old lady living next door. “It’s a tragic loss but you’re lucky to be alive.”

Was he lucky that he was at school the day it happened? Was he lucky to run away from home in fear of being brought to the shelter? Was he lucky to land indecent jobs at such a young age? Was he lucky to be exploited and taken advantage of because they thought he was just another stupid kid? Was he lucky to be alone…and lonely? Was he lucky to feel this immense pain?

He was so engrossed with his thoughts that he didn’t even notice he was already tearing up until he felt his hand got wet. He smiled ruefully. He needed to clear his head. All of those things were already in his past. He shouldn’t let it affect him anymore. He needed to think of other things.

His gaze landed outside the window. The moon was shining brightly, mocking him. Then his thoughts drifted back to a certain raven. He smirked when he remembered how clueless and gullible this vampire was. All throughout their conversation, he was trying to hide his laughter at how uncharacteristically dull Yesung could be. Aren’t vampires known to be cunning and intelligent? Even for a vampire of Yesung’s caliber, it was still amusing that Yesung was a bit slow on things. Not to say that Yesung was dumb because he did a research and the timid vampire had outstanding grades in all of his classes. Well, almost all of his classes. He grimaced at the poor boy’s grades in Math. It was barely passing. Though he wasn’t one to complain, being a Math genius, he could even use Yesung’s poor Math skills to his advantage. Tossing his half-eaten meal on the bin, he stood up and head towards his room to rest. For the first time that night, instead of his usual nightmares, he dreamt of beautiful baby hands creating sounds of a beautiful masterpiece and a set of the most amazing golden orbs he’d ever seen. It was just kind of sad that he won’t have any recollection of this dream when the morning comes.