Chapter One

Tainted Serenity

 

 

It was a dangerous mission, really.
But it paid so well that the young man couldn’t resist much longer at the temptation of the high reward and caved in, finally accepting the onerous task. It’s not as if he’s never done anything like it before, (quite the contrary actually), but the mission this time is a little more different and dangerous. Or more like the people he needs to hunt down is unlike the usual and probably very menacing.

Well, if you consider them people first of all.

Kyuhyun fixes his leather jacket a little, the article doing a poor job of breaking the chilled wind that blew by as he stood by the front of a high school, watching the gossip and stupidity filled students file out in their own small possy’s as the last bell of the day rang loudly.
Maybe it wasn’t the smartest idea for Kyuhyun to ditch the last class of the day just to make sure he doesn’t miss his target, but yet again, he didn’t attend the high school for educational purposes, and is only attending it for his mission only.

The main purpose of Kyuhyun’s mission is to capture a certain group of “people” that are technically inhuman despite their physical appearance. They are bloodthirsty creatures with sharp and long canines and skin as pale as the moon in the night sky. These creatures radiate nothing but beauty and panache wherever they are and whatever they may be doing. They are also known to be creatures and symbol of , something with their saliva being a stimulant for ual hormones, making the human mind to crave nothing but and passion as a vampire feed from them. Indeed they are very dangerous.

 Vampires, is what they’re called nowadays.
 At least that’s what Kyuhyun refers to them as from his notes.

But Kyuhyun’s first target is a little more than just confusing.
The target is beautiful creature, as expected, with raven black hair and porcelain features and a set of the most intriguing golden eyes Kyuhyun has ever laid eyes upon. He’s a little smaller and petite in stature than Kyuhyun had in mind for a vampire, and is quite…. adorable, to say the least. He’s young, shy, timid, and innocent, everything that a vampire isn’t. His aura, too, is far more different and tame than Kyuhyun has ever come across before. Kim Jongwoon is his name, but very few know of it, and instead go by the name Yesung.

Kyuhyun catches sight of the other almost immediately, the aura and presence strong within the mass of humans.

The hunter strides towards him casually, stopping right before him and a few others that he assumed are his friends, successfully halting their movements.  Kyuhyun sniffed the air a little, as his eyes landed upon Yesung’s golden ones, ignoring the human reek of his friends.

Yesung, being the usual shy self, took one step backwards, a small blush forming across his face in embarrassment, thinking that he had gotten in Kyuhyun’s way instead.

“Hello,” Kyuhyun greeted calmly with a wide grin that could almost be defined as Cheshire, his voice low and sultry.

The smaller managed out a small, barely audible reply to the friendly greeting as he stared intently down at the ground, anywhere but the young man before him

“I hear from others that you are the president of the music club, am I correct?” The taller questions, running his long fingers through his slightly disheveled light brown hair due to the wind.

The silent boy manages a somewhat small and shaky nod as his friends departed on home without him, whispering quiet goodbyes as they left the two of them alone.

“I was debating if I should join it, curious if the people are actually talented or not.” The brunette smiles, tilting his head a little to the side. “Care to sing for me to show your level of talent?”

 

The boy looked slightly taken aback by the request, taking another step in reverse as his pretty mouth opened a little to probably reject kindly, but an arm suddenly appears between them, surprising the both of them in unison.

“Yesung, there you are,” a smooth voice said, following after the arm. “The night’s are getting longer now, I think Heechul expects us back for dinner.” He drawls out, his eyes moving slowly towards Kyuhyun who had taken a step back too, jaw clenched tightly.

Kyuhyun narrows his eyes as he turns his full attention to the newcomer; Choi Siwon.
Begrudgingly admitted, Kyuhyun should’ve been more cautious and aware of his approach, considering that he knew Siwon is almost always near Yesung. He’s always seen standing protectively close to the raven, s if he was trying to fend off any danger from him.

Siwon is a surprisingly tall vampire with handsome exterior of short dark hair and prominent facial features, his body lean and physically fit. He’s popular amongst teachers and peers, unlike Yesung who likes to stay in the shadows. Telling by the strong aura coming from around him, Kyuhyun could tell that he was of a higher ranking vampire, one of Kyuhyun’s next targets.

“Maybe you should seek inspiration and amusement elsewhere, Mr. Cho. I’m sure Mr. Kim Ryeowook from the music club would gladly interest in the quality of his voice. If not, you should attend one of their meetings or practices some day and discover it yourself.” Siwon said helpfully, but his expression was of malice as he stared down at the tall brunette.  Kyuhyun watches as Siwon put a gentle arm around Yesung and lead them away.

Letting out a frustrated sigh, Kyuhyun turns sharply on his heels and stalks off angrily, the heel of his combat boots thudding loudly against the concrete sidewalk in the silence of the streets. Siwon wasn’t his first target because he wanted to start out low and undetected, getting information from a much lower ranking and weak vampire that is most likely quite gullible. And Yesung happened to be the weakest one of Siwon’s clan making him become destination one.

Attempt Number one? Failed.


This wasn’t the cleverest plan, obviously, but the other is probably innocent and gullible enough to fall for it. The hunter tightens the thin trip line around a music stand and a leg to the grand piano, making sure that it was invisible to the eye, but low enough for someone to tumble over.

And sure enough, victim number one came walking into the music room, fumbling slightly with a stack of music scores. Kyuhyun, grinning proudly to himself at his own plan, hid behind the piano in anticipation, watching the petite raven make its way unknowingly towards his trap.

But to Kyuhyun’s misfortune, the boy stopped right before it, the trip line seeming to glisten in disappointment too.

“Yesung!” Kyuhyun said, suddenly popping up, watching the poor boy jump back in surprise and send the music he had in hand go flying everywhere.

“How are you today?” Kyuhyun said, flashing the flustered boy one of his charming crooked smiles.

“I-I…wh-when did you get in here?”  Yesung stammered, blushing deeply as he knelt down to pick up the papers.

“Oh, I’ve been here for awhile now. Just checking out the piano.” Kyuhyun grinned, the lie falling from his lips easily as he knelt down beside the other to help him with the cleaning.

“O-Oh,” was all Yesung managed as he straightened back up with a small stack of mis-numbered papers, Kyuhyun following his movements after he had gathered up the rest.

“Here,” The taller said, sticking the papers forward.

A little too timid and caught by surprise by the other’s movement, Yesung took another step back.
The raven lets out a small cry just as he felt his leg snag onto something, soon finding himself making his way down to greet the ground.

But a pair of strong arms snake around his slim waist quickly and stopped his clumsy descent down, Yesung quickly grappling hold onto the other’s shoulder for dear life.

“Careful there,” Kyuhyun grins, internally congratulating himself as he gave the others waist a light squeeze.

Yesung flushes an impossible red as Kyuhyun lifts him back up onto his feet again, immediately trying to retract back and away from Kyuhyun again, but the other still keeps a firm hold around his waist.

“Say, we didn’t properly introduce ourselves last time because we had a small…..interruption.” Kyuhyun said with a small tilt of his head, emphasizing the last word to put his point across.

“I…..yeah. “ Yesung muttered quietly, looking anywhere but him as he presses a hand on the others chest, pushing firmly, but the taller male was like a brick wall, unmovable.

“My name’s Kyuhyun, if you were curious. What’s your name? I’d like to hear it from your pretty lips instead of his.” Kyuhyun grinned, finally releasing the other but tilts the others face up instead with his index finger. 

Yesung, finally unable to stand the other’s forthright behavior, shoved his hand away with a glare.
“It is my choice to give you my name or not, and I choose not to. So it’d be quite lovely if you’d leave me alone now, Kyuhyun. I have practice and I don’t want to be disturbed.”

Slightly flabbergasted by the others sudden change in behavior, Kyuhyun raised his hands up a little. “If I had offended you in anyway, I apologize. But I’d just like to know you more. Is it so wrong?”

Yesung gave the other a frown and looked away. “No,” he admitted, crossing his arms. “But you better keep a safe distance away from me. Your way of schmoozing girls will not work on me.”

“Oh, this isn’t me schmoozing. This is how I usually am.” Kyuhyun said with a crooked grin, earning a somewhat disgusted look from the raven.

“Get out. Now.” Yesung said, pointing towards the still open door.

“Let me stay. I just want to watch. I promise I won’t bother you?” The brunette said with a raise of an eyebrow, his long fingers drumming lightly against the smooth black surface of the piano.

Yesung inhaled deeply, a look of irritation visible on his pale face. “Fine,” he said after a moment, releasing his breath. “If you dare make any sound—“

“—You could kill me,” Kyuhyun said with a roll of his eyes, not really cautious of what he had said until it was too late. He clears his throat a little, looking away awkwardly and grabbed a chair, pulling it up next to the piano bench.

Yesung eyed the other suspiciously for a moment, watching his every movement before seating himself down in front of the piano, adjusting the music upon it.

“How long have you played piano?” The brunette questions, crossing his legs and resting his chin precariously upon a fist, watching the vampire before him intently.

The other just shot him a glare for disrupting the peaceful silence, before resuming back to making himself comfortable by the piano, lifting up the cover that was over the keys.

Kyuhyun watches in amusement at how much of a perfectionist the other was, watching as the raven played a simple chord on the black and white keys as if to test the quality of tone the piano makes. And suddenly, his small fingers are dancing surely and beautifully across the majestic piano before him, a soft ballad resonating throughout the acoustics of the room.

Not a few seconds later, Kyuhyun found himself even more intrigued by the young man before him. The raven’s golden eyes skimmed the notes before him fast but calmly, his expression set, yet still calm with an air of joy around him. The way tip of his tongue would peak out and wet his lips a little when the piece gets faster is the most interesting, followed by a small lip bite. The dark bangs fall above his eyes, and Kyuhyun could see the life in his eyes, the amount of passion and love he ahs for music. It’s as if nothing else existed around him; nothing but him, the music, and the piano. It was his own little world, a world that he probably never wants to leave.

“You play wonderfully,” Kyuhyun says after a few seconds of silence when Yesung had finished the piece.

The other jumps a little too, as if he had forgotten the other was still there, right beside him.  Yesung blushes and looks away embarrassedly, muttering a small ‘thank you’ beneath his breath.

“Hey, do you mind maybe teaching me a little? I’ve always been interested in playing the piano, but I never had the time to learn it.” Kyuhyun said, titling his head to the side in a questioning manner.

“I-I’m honestly not the best instructor f-for this,” Yesung said with a small nervous laugh. “M-Maybe you should ask Ryeowook? He’s r-really good with—“

“But I want you to teach me.” Kyuhyun interrupted with a slight frown, putting his acting skills to work.

“But I—“

“Yesung,” Another voice says, bringing the both of their attention back towards the open doorway.

“Siwon,” Yesung mutters quietly, suddenly looking ashamed as he moves his gaze downwards.

The newcomer strides forward, his expression stern as he stares Kyuhyun down.
“are you done with practice yet?” he asks, finally tearing his gaze away from the hunter and offers his hand to the raven, the boy accepting it gratefully and gets up from the piano bench. “Heechul had me run an errand for him, so I came a little late. My apologies.”

“I….yeah. It’s alright.” Yesung sighs, giving Kyuhyun a brief glance before gathering up his music again. But Kyuhyun reaches forward and grabs Yesung’s arm quickly before he could turn to leave.

Siwon reels around so fast Kyuhyun didn’t even have enough time to react before he found himself thrown onto the floor, a gasp followed right afterwards in which the hunter assumed was from Yesung.

“Don’t touch him.” Siwon snaps, and if looks could kill, Kyuhyun would be buried ten feet under the ground in a second under his burning gaze, Siwon’s eyes flashing red in anger.

“Siwon,” Yesung tries to reason with the other. “He’s not hurting me,” he said quietly.

“But he’s bothering you, and I have a bad feeling about him,” Siwon says with a animalistic growl to finish his sentence.

“No, Yesung, he’s right.” Kyuhyun suddenly said, getting back up from the ground, staring darkly up at Siwon. “You should be afraid of me.”

“No, Kyuhyun—“  Yesung starts, but Siwon raises a hand to silence him, turning his attention back to the brunette.

“You stay away from Yesung, Cho, or I will not be responsible for my actions.” Siwon said curtly before grabbing the ravens arm and dragged him out of the music room, the boy shooting worried glances back over his shoulders towards Kyuhyun but the hinter just smiles a little in reassurance that he’ll annoy him again sometime later.

Attempt Number 2? Failed.


“I told you, Kim Jongwoon, to stay away from him!” Siwon nearly yelled once they got home, the taller giving the raven a small but angry shove once they stepped in through the front door.

“Hey! Don’t be so rough with him!” Heechul snapped from where he was in the living room, standing up abruptly and making his way over to the two of them, putting a gentle and comforting arm around the raven who looked obviously upset and distressed.

“Hyung, not now.” Siwon sighed frustratedly, moving his gaze upwards as he tried to calm himself, knowing full well of how protective Heechul is of the boy.

“You never get mad at Yesung. What’s wrong?” Another voice joins in, a small body poking out from the kitchen.

“He just…He—“Siwon lets out a weird angry sound as he throws his arm up into the air in exasperation. “He keeps hanging around this guy who I honestly have a very suspicious feeling about! Ryeowook, side with me!”

“Maybe you’re just over exaggerating?” Ryeowook said unhelpfully. “I always see Kyuhyun around the school, and he’s not really a dynamic character. He’s like everyone else, Siwon. Maybe a little too flirty for his own good, but he’s not dangerous.”

“He reeks of other demons and creatures!” Siwon shouts, before turning his glare onto Yesung who immediately cowered back. “You better stay away from him or I’ll never let you out of this house again!” he says.

“Choi Siwon!” Heechul snaps angrily. “I am the leader of this clan, and I will not allow you to give orders to Yesung like that. I will look further into this, but don’t you dare try anything stupid, Siwon.”

Siwon opened his mouth as if to say something, but he closes it suddenly, his expression twisting in anger before turning sharply on his heels and stormed into his room, slamming the door shut.

“Hey,” Heechul said softly, turning around to face the raven behind him. “Go to your room for now, okay? I’ll call you out when dinner’s ready. Just give some time for Siwon to cool off.” He said, ruffling the other’s hair softly in reassurance as the other nods once, upset that he had angered Siwon.

Yesung tugs off his school uniform and crawls into his bed after changing into something more casual and loose-fitting, pulling the covers over his head as he hugs his stuffed turtle close, burying his face into the fuzzy and squishy shell.

He hated being such a burden to Heechul’s clan. He’d probably feel a lot better if he was actually a full vampire, but he isn’t; only half. This makes him not only illegal and a bastard, but weak and dependent, not really belonging in the demon or human society. His father was a vampire who had fallen in love with a simple human girl. They ran away to places together as to avoid being caught by the ‘vampire government’, but they were found eventually, and the both of them were executed; his father for breaking the law, and his mother for knowing too much about them. But baby Yesung was handed off to safe and trusted hands before they were discovered, his meek life now in the hands of a vampire called Kim Heechul. Ever since, Yesung was raised by a small, but high ranking vampire clan. His powers were very limited, and probably useless, but he still practiced them once in awhile in the safe confines of his home. His need for blood is also not as strong as pure vampires, but he needs it occasionally when the amount of human and vampire blood is imbalanced within him.

Yesung pulls the covers off from above his head and turns over onto his back, staring up at ceiling that were decorated by glowing stickers, little bright specks peppering across the dark ceiling to represent stars that he couldn’t see above the city lights. He lets out a small sigh as he subconsciously starts counting the stars to ease his mind, a habit he had picked up when he was younger when there were too many things on his mind.

1…2…3…

What’s so bad about Kyuhyun?

6…7…8…

He’s a little too straightforward and flirty, but he wouldn’t inflict any harm, right?

10…11….12…

Why am I such a nuisance and so unneeded?