Prologue

Bittersweet Lovin'

2032.

 

“Welcome to Byeol café! How may I help you?” Naeun was greeted with the short-haired waitress as soon as she stepped into the café. She smiled warmly at the waitress,

“Can we-“

“A table for two, please.” Saeeun cut her off before she could finish her sentence. The waitress nod professionally at the two of them, “Please follow me.”

 

As soon as they reached their table, Saeeun put down all her belongings and took off her Scarlet coat, placing it on her chair. “What do you want? Americano, the usual?”

Naeun replied with a small smile, “I want Macchiato this time.”

“Didn’t you say milk makes you want to vomit? You’re making yourself sick if you drink Macchiato,” Saeeun groaned, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

“Just this once, Saeeun,” Naeun looked at her lovingly. Saeeun flailed her arms in the air, “Fine, fine. Just don’t blame me if you get sick.”

Naeun chuckled seeing Saeeun’s actions, “I won’t. I just want it for old time’s sake.”

 

 

2014 – Naeun.

 

The lights in Naeun’s room were still on even though the clock had striked twelve.

Naeun excitedly browsed through the internet, clicking on the links and searching for some more. She had searched ‘room for rent in Tokyo’ in google, yahoo, and even bing, but so far luck has not been on her side.

In two months’ time, she is moving to Japan. Yes, Japan, the country she thought she can only visit in her dreams. It’s no secret that she loved Japanese culture,  or more specifically Japanese boybands with their attractive members.

 

When the letter of  scholarship acceptance from Tokyo Geijutsu Daigaku arrived at her house yesterday morning, Naeun knew it was fate for her to live and find the love of her life there.

 

Naeun read through all the websites of her potential future home in Japan. Not even one of them came close to what she was searching for, though. The rooms that were being rented are either one, were located in a strategic area but too expensive for her parents to handle, or two, were affordable but were located in an indecent area.

 

After spending two hours browsing through the internet and not finding the one she needed, Naeun almost gave up – almost being the key word.

 

She felt her eyelids getting heavier and heavier. Just before she fell asleep, Naeun clicked on a random link which leads her to a webpage.

 

 

‘Room for rent located on the heart of the city, with a reasonable price!! Call xxx-xxx-xxx to reserve your place NOW!’  The advertisement that was placed on the middle of the main page was in neon colours that can severely hurt someone’s eyes, but Naeun didn’t care as she had finally found her future home.

 

 

2014 – Kris.

 

Kris took a sip of his macchiato coffee, leaning gently on his chair and stretching his arms. He rubbed his eyes softly, staring at his laptop screen. It has been days since he put his ad for the room he was renting, but the only response he got was from Lee Jonghyun – the gay guy that was more than attracted to him since they met on an online dating site.

 

Kris recalled how mad and confused he was when he saw his profile on Loveintokyo.com, and made sure Lu Han got his punishment for being the one behind the whole thing. But what made him angrier was probably the fact that only men posted on his wall and messaged him, but not even one girl added him.

 

His train of thoughts was disturbed when his laptop screen flickered, a signal that he got a new e-mail. Kris smiled radiantly when he opened the e-mail, he got a potential tenant.

 

‘Hi, I checked your website last night and I very so happy because I think like the room’ Kris chuckled at the person’s broken english,

 

‘I’m from Seoul, South Korea. Money and other information please. I looking forward to it.

 

Thank yu,

Son Naeun.’

 

He didn’t need to read it for the second time to understand what the person was trying to say, so Kris thought it’s alright. He’s desperate for the money anyway, so he decided if this Son Naeun is still interested after he send her all the information and filled up the form and proved she’s not some crazy psycho, he’ll accept her right away.

 

Doing so is something Kris wouldn’t normally do, as he is fastidious when it comes to tenants. Especially the one that’s going to live in the same apartment as he is. He had to admit he was more flexible to tenants that rented the rooms in the apartment beside the one he’s living in, though.

 

Kris stretched out his arms once again before he begun to type a reply for Son Naeun.