Two Braids

In Their Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two Braids

 

DARA’S POV

 

If I had booked my flight earlier I wouldn't be stuck in between a lady with a baby who wouldn’t stop crying, and a teenager who made me cringe every time she leaned into her barf bag. But two months ago, a trip to Rome was the farthest from her mind.  She wasn’t the type to take spontaneous trips overseas.  But she had decided she didn't want to be waking up in Seoul and thinking of the same day three years ago.  

 

They landed in Rome but she found herself thinking about her apartment and her dog though she shouldn’t worry about Gaho since Youngbae promised to take care of him. 

 

They settled their luggage in the hotel and then they boarded the tour bus headed for Trevi District. 

 

The tour guide took them around. One of the couples asked her to take their picture.  The husband stood behind her wife and he put his arms around her waist while he smiled down at her and the wife lovingly smiled as she looked back at him.  The wife volunteered to take her picture as well but she declined.

 

They reached the Trevi fountain.  

 

Dara squeezed herself through the crowd. 

 

Clasping her lucky coin, she closed her eyes and made a wish.

 

The precise legend of the Trevi Fountain says you should stand with your back to the fountain and toss a coin over your left shoulder to guarantee a return trip to Rome. I tossed my coin.

 

I don't know if I was really wishing for a return trip to Rome.  But it felt liberating to blindingly believe in something.

 

As she waited for her tour mates to finish she sat in one of the steps and busied herself looking at two little girls who were nearby. The cute little blonde cherubs were playing and braiding each other's hair.  The girls noticed her looking and they approached her.

 

"Esti bine?"  Asked one.

 

Dara smiled apologetically to them.  "I'm sorry I don't understand.  I'm Korean."  She pointed to herself.  "Korean."

 

The two girls giggled as they looked at each other then they both sat on each side of Dara and each took a section of her hair and started braiding it.  Dara could no longer refuse these little cherubs and let them.

 

When they finished they kissed her cheek and said, "Arata-ti bine."

 

"Thank you."  She replied though she wasn't really sure what they said.  She stood up and looked for her group.

 

Apparently, her group had gone missing.  She'd been too occupied by the two girls that she didn't noticed they had left without her.  She calmed herself and tried to think rationally. 

 

She riffled through her bag.  Where the hell is the map of Rome?  Did I leave it on the plane?  For an antagonizing minute I pushed panic back inside me--though it was there, invisible and waiting. 

 

What am I doing here?  I stood there looking at the crowds passing by and not knowing anyone, regretting my decision.  This was why I don't take spontaneous trips.

 

She went to a stall nearby and purchased a map to find her hotel.  Her stomach grumbled.  She hasn't eaten anything on the plane because of her barfing seatmate and now she was starving.  It was mid-day and the sun was starting to feel hot on the exposed skin her sundress didn't c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter