Sick (Key)

Steps TO your HEART

The previous day had been a disastrous picnic attempt in the park. First of all, when they set off, Key had a punctured tire, and when they finally got that sorted and found an isolated spot to picnic at, it was already evening. Worst of all, both of them had found out that they forgot to bring the mat, along with the food that they had prepared beforehand. Defeated, both of them had wanted to lay down on the soft grass to rest, until they got hit by a thunderstorm.

Since the car was parked far away, they had to run the whole distance and Key had tried his best to protect her with his jacket, but because it was raining so heavily and suddenly, the jacket didn’t help much. When they both got to her apartment, she was shivering nonstop, teeth chattering from the cold rain. Knowing her apartment well, Key had prepared towels, the heater and prepared two cups of hot chocolate to warm them up, but it seemed like it didn’t work. Since it was still raining heavily and too late to go back to the dorm, he had decided to stay, and he was real glad he did.

Key had awoken in the middle of the night to groaning sounds beside him. Switching on the bedside lamp and looking at his girlfriend, he found that she was drenched in sweat, and looked like she was having a nightmare. Touching her neck and forehead, he realized that she was having a fever! Hurrying to get a cold towel, he placed it on top of her forehead, and she stopped groaning. Feeling a slight sense of relief, he decided to watch over her a little till she stopped tossing and turning and sweating too much. Putting his worries aside from the night, he decided to go to sleep himself, hoping that she’ll be better in the morning.

Unfortunately, she did not get better. When he woke up, she was again tossing and turning in bed with her brows furrowed. Key was worried. ‘This can’t do. She has to go to the doctor.’ Slightly her face and softly patting her hand, he woke her up, and her eyes fluttered open slowly. The sight made Key’s heart ache more than it should, because she looked so weak. “_____-ah, I think you have a fever. Wake up, let’s go to the doctor, okay?”To that, she shook her head.

“YAH! _____! I don’t care, get up, we’re going to the doctors!”With that, he got out of bed, picked out her clothes, dragged her hand to her bathroom and closed the door. “If you don’t change, I’m going to come in and help you change! So change!”Too tired to argue with her stubborn and nagging boyfriend, she dressed lethargically, while Key was outside the door, asking “Are you done yet?”almost every 5 seconds. After she was done dressing, she was slightly surprised to see that Kibum had already dressed himself and also found the thickest coat she had in her closet. Wrapping her in the coat and taking her hand, Key had his brows furrowed in a look that made her think he was angry with her. Dragging her out of the door and into the car, he started the engine and drove towards the nearest hospital. Too tired to probe, she instead fell asleep on the car ride.

“You have to get an injection.”The doctor said.
“WHAT?!” Key’s reaction was slightly shocking, in which she had jumped a little from shock. She was afraid of getting injections and needles, and he knew that well, but she honestly never expected him to kick up a fuss about it.
“It’s to lower her temperature. Don’t worry Mr Kim, she’ll be fine in no time.”
“Okay fine.”He replied, facial expression unreadable.
While having the jab, he had offered his hand for her to grip on, and while she turned away from the direction of the needle, he held her head close to his chest, and even though getting the injection was painful and unpleasant, it felt much better having him by her side.

After visiting the doctor’s, Key was in a slightly more cheerful mood, and he decided to stop by the supermarket to grab ingredients to cook for his girlfriend. Looking at the girl sitting beside him, she was once again asleep with her cheeks flushed and two thick coats on, his and hers. He decided to leave her in the car while he ran quickly to the supermarket to get whatever he wanted. Grabbing all the ingredients needed, he ran back to the car, afraid that she might have woken up and was worried about where he was. His worries were for nothing as she was still peacefully asleep. ‘Sleepyhead.’ He thought while smiling fondly at her after getting in the car. Not wanting to wake her up when they reached, he opened the car door and carried her out of the car. Pressing in the pin code for her apartment, he had silently gone in and placed her in the bed, removing her coat and tucking her under the covers. Like a miracle, she didn’t even stir! ‘I must have a talent in this.’ Key smirked to himself proudly while he went to get the groceries that were still in the car.

“Yeobo, wake up.” He shook her slightly. She got up in almost an instant, stretched and rubbed her eyes.
“Kibum-ah, I dreamt I was sick and we had to go to the doctors and get a jab.”She complained to him. Key couldn’t help but let his signature loud, obnoxious laugh rip as he watched her say that with a straight face. Wiping tears of laughter from his eyes, he turned to her and patted her head.
“It’s not a dream my sleepyhead. Now get up and have dinner with me.”Realizing how stupid she must’ve sounded when he walked out of the room, she scrunched up her face and hit herself on her head. “Ah, Pabo!” Key peeked at her from the doorway and silently chuckled at her actions. ‘Cute.’ he thought to himself.

When she got to the dining room, she found that Key had prepared Carbonara pasta for the both of them. Skeptical, she asked, “You sure a sick person can eat Carbonara?”
“I guess so?”He replied with his mouth full, already digging in. “MMMM… So good! I swear that it’s delicious! Come on girl it is so delicious! Try! Open your mouth, ahhhh…” She laughed at his random rap and opened .
Feeding her a spoonful, he asked, “Good, right?”
She nodded while chewing and smiled at her boyfriend. Even though he did whatever he wanted most of the time, and is really stubborn and naggy, she was glad he did whatever he did because she knew it was for her own good. Digging in, she found the warm pasta to be extremely delicious and despite her bad appetite, she managed to finish the whole plate.

When they were cuddling on a couch watching a Studio Ghibli movie after dinner, she had suddenly remembered his scary expression in the morning before he brought her to the doctor’s. Furrowing her brows in slight worry, she looked up at him, pondering to ask him if he was angry earlier. Perhaps having a telepathic ability, or maybe he had seen her worried expression, Key had pushed her head against his shoulder to rest. While still watching the television, he said something that eased her worries and made her heart flutter all at the same time. “Don’t worry, I wasn’t angry this morning. I was just really guilty about causing you to get caught in the rain and get sick, and it hurt me to see you in pain. I’m sorry for appearing harsh, but it’s actually to cover up how guilty I am.”

Smiling at her boyfriend’s honest confession, she snuggled up closer to him, “its okay.” She mumbled in his arms, only to have his hands placed on her shoulder suddenly and pushing her away from him. Ignoring her surprised expression, he looked her in the eye, “You’re not sick now right?”
“Yes…”
“Good.”He replied, laying his head on her lap and snuggling in. “Now it’s your turn to take care of Bummie.”