Chapter 6- Discover and Uncover

Redemption

The results aren't as promising as she hopes. The samples she's been working on weren't that viable to begin with so hopes about getting results shouldn't be high. She'd be lucky to even get a good transcript for sequencing to identify who the killer really is. The trial for the case would be in a few days and by then the results have to be complete for the court to renounce Key's sentence. The problem was that for the past three weeks she's been working on the samples, still things remain inconclusive. She's remained in the laboratory for so long in an entire day. If you give her a few more hours in a day, she'll be living in the laboratory. That has been the case for Amber ever since she has started to work on Key's case. She'll do work on her assigned experiment during earlier hours of the day and end up working past midnight on the case. She'll leave and sleep for a few hours and be the first one to arrive. The guard at her workplace is close to her which is why she doesn't get scolded. However, Amber is starting to suspect that the lab managers are noticing a spike in the electricity bill.

It was 8:25am and there were only two of them timed in, Amber and Changmin. It was rather odd that Changmin was there that early. He'd usually be in by ten and lounge around. He'll start working by 11:00am and end just a little past 4:00pm. But other than the oddity of Changmin being early, he worked on his experiment early. This irked Amber a little bit. He stuck himself in the workbench while Amber observed as she worked. She's starting to establish insect cell lines as Key has suggested in order to be used for expressing Amber's desired protein. 
One thing was for sure though, the lab was oddly quiet and Amber decided to speak in order to break the silence.

"Oppa. You're early."

"Ah.W--well." Changmin stuttered which made Amber worry. Was Changmin sent by the manager to discover who is causing the spike in electricity? Amber got worried. She noticed the change in Changmin's pace. He started to move faster but a lot more carelessly. If things go on as is, Amber will leave much earlier than expected.

"Amber, can I ask you something?" Changmin brought up. Amber almost dropped her pippetor. 

"Shoot away." Amber replied. She tried to appear calm but deep down inside she was already panicking. Sweat was literally trailing down her back. What made it worse was that Changmin dropped whatever he was doing and walked closer to Amber.

"It's about Victoria."

"What?!"

"Sshh!"

"Sorry. I thought it was about something else.. What about eonni?"

"Well, I know you already noticed that something is going on between us. But as you know as well, the company doesn't really promote in lab relationships since they think it can disrupt the dynamic of the workplace. I plan for us to go on a one-week vacation but I don't know where to take her. I came early so that I can ask you in private. You're not against our relationship, right?"

"Of course not! Eonni has been smiling a lot ever since you two started going out. Well, if you don't know where to take her just take her to Qingdao; her hometown. She hasn't gone home for a long while and I am sure she misses her family. Qingdao is near the coast so you two can enjoy the beach as you visit her family. Fool her into the trip, saying you'll be going to Japan or Thailand. She'll be surprised."

"You think so?"

"Positive."

"I can't thank you enough!"

Amber was able to sigh of relief. Changmin wasn't sent by anyone after all. He went back to work while she proceeded into incubating the cells. She'll have to go to the lab as early as she can each day so that she'll be able to replenish the media. By the time she has started to work on the blood sample from Key's case, people have started to come in. She had to be more cautious now as she always does whenever other people are in the lab. Other than that, she'll have to meet Key's lawyer for the case who will present the evidence at the trial. She then looked around and was happy to see Luna smiling once more. The guy from the chicken shop, Onew, asked on her a date which she gladly accepted. Amber questioned it at first but Luna only reasoned that she feels a certain type of connection with Onew even if they haven't talked much. 

Noon came fast and Amber headed out to meet the lawyer. It's someone provided by the government so she won't know who it is. They've been in correspondence through email. Amber can only infer that the lawyer is someone old since the way he speaks is so formal and proper. The two of them agreed to meet in a cafe nearby the laboratory. She was the first one to arrive. She ordered a cup of iced lemonade and waited patiently. It wrecked her nerves a little bit. She was unsure on how to act. Every time someone would walk through the door, she'd jump in her seat. Eight customers already entered and by the time her watch exactly read 12:30, someone in a suit came walking in. It was a man. He looked left and right and dialled his phone. Amber's phone rang. The man turned to Amber's direction and walked towards Amber.

"Ms. Amber Liu?"

"Are you the lawyer?" Amber asked with a high pitch tone.

"Yes.. But why do I hear this sound of doubt in your voice?"

"You're young."

"Should I take that as a compliment?"

"I don't know. Yes? Anyway, yes. I am Amber Liu. I'm sorry but I never really got your name."

"It's Henry Lau. I am the attorney sent to you by the state? As we spoke, you are planning to help someone's case be renounced? And this man is Kim Kibum? I have read through his file and I his case is murder. I haven't asked you this but what makes you certain that he is actually innocent? You don't know him yet you chose to help him. You mentioned through your emails that you met him randomly at prison. Just why? Why do you want to help him?"

"It's because eyes don't lie." Amber replied with a stern look on her face. Henry only nodded and they proceeded to discuss how the trial will go. Henry will need all necessary data to support the claim that Key is indeed innocent. Circumstancial evidence must be presented clearly for the jury to understand. If ever someone is pointed out as the real killer, we must prove evidence that indeed it is that person. The results have to irrevocably point to that person. Amber just kept on nodding and taking down notes while Henry talked. It is of genuine desire on her part to help Key for no reason whatsoever. 

"I do hope we can prove someone's innocence if he truly deserves it." Henry spoke.

"We will."

"Well, I have a meeting to attend to, Ms. Liu. If you'll excuse me, I'll go ahead. Bill is on me."

"Thanks! But don't call me too formally. Amber is fine." Amber replied. Henry only smiled before he paid the bill and left soon after. Amber has to go back to the lab and work on the blood sample. Other evidence linked to the case such as the knife has been passed on to the police department for proper handling. She'll have to find a profile soon or else, the case is doomed. In no time, she went back in handling the results. Other scientists greeted her as she walked in. Amber only offered a smile and rushed to her station. She did another amplification experiment and the run time took two hours, there were no conclusive results for that time. She had to run another one and still nothing. It was making her frustrated to bits.

"Arggh! This is so annoying." She screamed as she scratched her head. As she did, someone placed a ready made bento box in front of her. It was Victoria. Amber smiled. She was too preoccupied with the experiment that she didn't notice it has turned dark. She'll be staying there for several more hours. Her last meal was a sandwich and lemonade.

"I figured you haven't eaten yet."

"Thanks eonni."

"You've been looking really stressed lately. Maybe I can help? It's always better to have two heads working than one."

"Are you sure? Don't you have somewhere to go?"

"I'm fine. Come on, what do I need to do?"

Amber then explained and instructed Victoria everything she needs to know about what she aims to do. Amber only finished her meal and the two of them got on with the experiment. Amber finished first but still nothing. Victoria followed closely behind but there was nothing either. The two of them kept on getting the same results as Amber did for previous experiements. They talked about and Victoria suggested that they decrease the elongation time. It might give rise to smaller bands which can be separated much better on a high concentration gel. Amber debated over it ang agreed. The two of them ran their samples in the same gel. The moment of truth came when they had to view the result under UV. 

"I don't think I can do this." Amber remarked.

"You can't? What about me? Go on, click the switch!" and Amber did. She closed her eyes as the results slowly flashed on the screen. She heard Victoria gasp which made her heart drop. Was it still no good?

"Amber, we have it. We have it!"

"What?"

"Look!"

Amber looked and there were three distinct bands in the sample. It is as what she had hoped for. Finally, it has happened. Three weeks of disappointing results finally turned around. She can't thank Victoria enough. They hugged, hopped and laughed. It was one weight off of her shoulder. However, it doesn't end there. The following day, Amber, Henry, Key and other people from the police force will go to the crime scene. The apartment has remained untouched for the past three years since the murder happened. They haven't told Key about it. Amber can't really tell how Key will react.

"Will you extract the bands? I can help you amplify them again."

"No. I think I can do it. Besides after that, I have to have the bands sequenced. After a day or two, I am sure we'll have our results. It's nerve wrecking and exciting."

The two of them ended almost midnight. Amber offered her thanks and later on they bid their goodbyes and good nights. Amber needed her rest. She will have a long day ahead of her.

 


 

Key woke up earlier than required. He sat non-chalantly as he looked at the unoccupied bed across him. He still thinks on how Onew was doing. It sometimes worry him that Onew was going through difficulty but another side of him is certain that his hyung will get by just fine. Onew's offense was never a  grave crime and the guy always had an uplifting attitude towards things. Key only hopes the best for Onew.

"31319.. You're up early. Ready for your little trip? Better prepare yourself, kid."

Key didn't know what the guard meant. He knew that he'll leave with Amber, the lawyer and a few policemen but he doesn't know where and even if he was smart, he can't really figure out. There were plenty of possibilities. In order to prepare for it, Key took a quick but thorough bath and dressed in his usual orange suit that had his identification number. If he was informed correctly, they'll meet at 8:30AM in one of the private visitation rooms. As soon as the prescribed meeting time was about to arrive, Key was guided by the guard out of his prison cell. He was surprised to find another young man inside the room.

"You must be Kim Kibum? I'm Henry Lau, the attorney handling your case.. Pleased to meet you?"

"Pleased to meet you too." Key didn't say it but inside his head he thought that Henry was really young. It then grew quiet. Key sat and occasionally, their eyes would meet. Henry would smile a sheepish smile towards Key and then go back to his stoic face. Amber ran in a little late but as soon as she arrived, they left for a railed van provided by the district office.

"Where are we going?" Key asked.

"You'll see.." Henry replied.

All three of them took their seats. The police assigned to assist them will meet them at the venue. Amber remained quiet while Henry was reading through some papers. Key, on the other hand, was looking outside the railed window. There was little chance to see a clear picture of the city outside but somehow Key felt that certain things have changed ever since he was imprisoned. Amber just observed Key.

"Results of the band profiles will come in. We might have a match on who the real killer might be." Amber announced. No one reacted. As soon as they started to near the crime scene, Key started to sweat bullets. He kept on gulping and he barely spoke. He started breathing louder and shorter. The place was starting to look all too familiar to him. And by the time they got off the bus and saw the front door of the apartment complex, Key took a step back.

"Why didn't you tell me?! You could've at least let me prepare."

"This is a necessary step. Come." Henry replied.

They headed for the 8th floor of the 24 floored building. It was where Gayoon's apartment was located. Do Not Cross signs were still on the door. The door was shut tight and only one of the police that was with them had the Key. Amber prepared herself for the worst. She saw the crime scene photos but she knows it will be a complelety different experience seeing it in real life. The door was unlocked and a dark room welcomed them. Henry the lights and Amber felt Key's breathing rate escalate.

"Tell me what you remember." Henry ordered.

"What are you talking about?" Key retorted.

"Tell me what you remember."

"Well.." 

"Do you remember what the man looked like?" Henry asked.
"Yeah, Key.. I mean, don't you remember how the person looked like? We can narrow down the search."

"I don't remember it. I can't tell you anything about his face." His voice was tense and tears were welling in Key's eyes.

"Why is that?" Henry asked as if confused.

"It's because I never saw the man. I went to Gayoon's room to get something and next thing I know I heard screaming outside. I closed the door. I was too scared to go out. She asked for help and I didn't come out... I.. just.. and then I opened the door.." Key started to freak out and cry. 

Memories of the night the murder happened started to flash back into Key's mind. The nightmares that he had for over a year. He remembers Gayoon's body covered in blood and stab wounds. He remembers how the biege carpet turned red and brown as soon as the blood dried. He remembers how cold Gayoon was when he touched her arm. He remember how deep the slit was in Gayoon's throat. He remembers the horrified look on Gayoon's face. It haunts him every night in his sleep during the first year after the murder happened. He wasn't able to do anything. She was stabbed and he wasn't even able to help Gayoon."

Key kept screaming and screaming. Henry called on for the police to inject him with a downer so that he'll come down and most probably fall asleep. The main objective of going to the crime scene was destroyed. They had hoped to reconstruct what could've happened based on Key's memory but the chances are low for them to even continue. Key fell asleep.

"We might as well have him head back to the prison. I'll be with you guys. I can't let the day end without being able to talk to him properly.I guess taking him here was a bit too early. Come."

The initial goal wasn't met. Henry wanted to push Key to remember the memories of the night of the murder but his methodology deemed too extreme. The three of them were escorted back to the prison. Key was sent to the infirmary. Amber accompanied him. The image of Key panicking somehow shocked her. It was the first time she ever saw someone like that. She's always seen Key as calm and composed but tough and willed at times. He turned into someone completely opposite of that image. Amber can't help but think that the whole tough thing is an act. Deep inside, he is as wounded as any victim would be. She held Key's hand and caressed it with her thumb. She doesn't know what else to do to provide as sense of comfort for the guy. Surprisingly though, the hold on her hand tightened and a tear trailed down from Key's eyes.

"Are you awake?"

"I'm sorry." Key said. His voice sounded as if he was obviously muffling his cries. He soon covered his eyes with his other arm.
"I'm sorry.." He said once more.

"Why are you apologizing, Key?"

"I feel so useless. I know you guys didn't mean any harm. I know that going to the crime scene is vital and necessary for the case but still I wasn't able to do anything. I want to be able to do something but I can't and it ! But I was just so scared. All the memories of the night when the murder happened all came running inside my head. The way she looked after she died. The way her face screamed fear and disappointment. Everyday of my life after the first year of the murder, I kept having nightmares. She was crying in my dreams and asking for help. It scares me, to this day."

"It's okay. It's okay to be scared."

Out of emotion, Amber stood from her seat and hugged Key. He hugged back and cried into Amber's shoulders like a child. He kept uttering "Sorry" as he cried. This broke Amber's heart. It was the first time she has actually seen Key so broken. Amber didn't say anything. She just offered her shoulder as a shoulder to cry on. Moments later, Key has calmed down and lied on bed once more. He let go of Amber's hand but the worried look on his face was gone. Henry was back. He came from the warden's office to issue another hour where Key could leave once more. They had to go back to the crime scene no matter what.

Soon, Amber's phone rang. She answered it and the face she had sported a smile. The two men that were with her asked what it was.

"It's Victoria eonni.. A colleague of mine. I asked her to wait for the results of the sequencing. The results came out. We have a match."

==========================================

Update!! Next chapter will feature the trial and as to who really killed Gayoon. :) Please look forward to it.^^