Chapter 2- Inquiry

Redemption

It would be Amber's first time. The higher administration knew that she's never been to such a place before but they still decided to send her. They stated that it would be a fulfilling learning experience on her part to get a chance to interact with such "beings" of society. Amber was pissed with the decision but she understood why the admin did it. They weren't particularly fond of someone like her. She's considered as a workaholic and tends to question a lot of the things the admin presents during department meetings.

However, what was more frustrating that the company did not provide any information on what the prison was like and what the prisoners were like. The closest she's been to a prison was when she was still an intern and they had to take tissue samples from dead, unidentified prisoners that were sent to the laboratory. She was fortunate to have a dear friend accompany her to the prison who has been to the actual place before.

"Are they as scary as how they're portrayed in movies? You know? Tattoos, sweat and bald heads?"

Victoria just smiled thinking how naive Amber is. "No. Some of them are quite good looking actually to the point that you can't imagine a face as such as that actually committed a crime. Some are horrendous even. But there will be security so you don't have to worry. Besides, you're a woman. You're practically a blessing from the heavens."

The two of them arrived and tried to look the part. They were molecular biologists so wearing some white lab gowns won't hurt to exude that pride even more. The problem Amber has to struggle first though is how to simplify explaining the process of DNA extraction to the prisoners. She has to state that even the slightest residue of tissue is enough to extract enough DNA that can be used against them. She was breathing quite heavily and her heart rate even escalated when she peeked through the curtain towards the audience. They were all men in orange jumpsuits.

"You'll be fine.. You can do it!"

Victoria then pushed Amber out of the backstage to the centerstage where the visual aids for the presentation will be. She cleared and bowed.

"Good morning to everyone. I am Dr. Amber Liu of the Gamma Mu Science Research Institute.. A full pledged molecular biologist by profession." sadly though there was no response from the audience. Because of this Amber was starting to panic internally. Let alone, she heard a snark comment coming from the audience saying to her to just get out of the stage. Amber looked near the backstage where Victoria was giving her a thumbs up.

"Okay, I believe we started off wrong there. I am Amber.. A scientist.. Yes, a scientist who do all that fancy with fancy, expensive equipment. I came here to give you a short one hour lesson on DNA estraction. DNA extraction basically deals with how we get the thing that is used to identify whether or not you were in the crime scene or not."

It was after that second round of introduction that Amber started to feel a little more comfortable on stage. She realized that she can't appear to dignified on stage or else the more those prisoners will not take her seriously. As she considers herself smart, she realized that prisoners are examples of going against the authorities. Therefore, she must not appear authoritarian towards them. 

Amber engaged with the audience. She first explained that the very first key in extracting or getting DNA is to look for a source. She emphasized that any small amount of tissue, even just saliva or hair was enough to help identify the identity of the person. Some of the audience asked whether other sources such as blood or even a slight impression of fingerprints or skin would be enough. She did say yes. The mere fact that the audience was asking her questions encouraged Amber to proceed. 

"The very first thing you used to break open those containers of your DNA is to use salt solution. Salt, as in the one you use in cooking..Something similar to that is used to to destroy those cells so that extracting DNA will be a lot easier."

Amber was doing well in presenting the method but right before she was able to proceed to the next step, someone from the audience raised their hand. She looked for the person in the audience and was slightly shocked. It was a younger man compared to the others. In fact, he looks to be around the same age as Amber. 

"Yes?"

"You suggest using alkaline lysis method, correct? But isn't that mostly effective for bacterial cells? Animal cells are a lot tougher and actually have a nuclear membrane. Even if alkaline lysis method is a well proven technique, there are other techniques already available for you to use. TRIzol reagent is used, am I correct? The TRIzol helps in disrupting the cell membrane a lot more efficiently by disrupting protein-protein interactions. Let alone, the phenol helps in immediately separating the DNA.. Why use alkaline conditions when you can minimize time and effort by using the said reagent immediately?"

The other prisoner just focused their direction towards the man. It was none other than Key. Amber herself was baffled by the person's inquiry on the matter. It is true that there are other techniques but she didn't really expect someone from the band of prisoners would ask such a question.

"Before I answer your question, may I ask your name?"

"31391"

"I mean your name.. Not by the name as dictated by your jumpsuit."

"Key.."

"Well, then.. Mr. Key.. In fact, you are correct. TRIzol is a very effective reagent in extracting DNA, let alone in separating it from RNA and proteins as well. However, for the sake of simplicity of this lecture I decided to discuss alkaline lysis method. It's more accessible, if I can put it that way."

Key didn't respond further so Amber decided to proceed. She stated that it would be important to spin the entire mixture by the use of a centrifuge. She explained that the machine is something that spins so fast that it can help enhance the separation of the DNA from everything else. However, Amber failed to notice that due to Key's inquiry she has become quite weary and over-aware of her words and actions. She can feel him listening and staring intensely towards her as if judging her every word. Because of this, the audience reflected her actions. Most of them started to look uneasy midway the discussion. Nobody really fell asleep but the audience grew quiet. The atmosphere was completely different from when she had a great start.

As she was about to reach the last part of her lecture, Key raised his hand once more.

"Isopropanol can also be used to salt out the DNA. Ethanol has been known to interfere with downstream analysis so..."

"So?"

"Nevermind I remembered the answer.. Please proceed."

Amber rolled her eyes when she turned her back to the audience. When she was finally able to conclude her talk, a lot of the prisoners actually clapped their hands which flattered Amber. She curtsied and then rushed to the backstage. Victoria was congratulating her but all the while she had her eyes glued to the man that has been asking her since the lecture started, Key.

"Amber.."

"Eonni, just excuse me for a little bit."

Amber rushed out of the backstage and proceeded to the audience area but two of the security personnel stopped her from doing so. 

"I am afraid we can't let you through, Ma'am. It's protocol."

"Please, I just need to talk to that man for a short while." Amber pleaded as she pointed towards Key. One of the guards then called on Key's ID imprinted on his jumpsuit and asked him to come over. He faced Amber head on with the guards acting as a barrier. 

Amber held her breath at the sight of the man near her. She knew that he was young but the guy's skin was really good. Traces of scars can be seen but he had really good skin. Amber was convinced that he was no ordinary prisoner.

"I just have to ask.. How did you know all about that? Your questions.. You knew what I was talking about. You completely knew how the entire thing works.. Not just everyone knows. How?"

Key kept a stoic face. "Does it matter?"

"Why are you here? What's keeping you locked up in here?"

"Murder." 

Amber took a step back when she heard him say murder. "Murder?" Knowing that Amber wouldn't really be able to throw other questions after the reason why he was imprisoned, Key bowed and left quietly without causing any fuss. Amber on the other hand ran back to Victoria. It was not that she was scared, she was just shocked to hear something like that come out of the mouth of someone asking scientifically valid questions during the lecture.

"Let's go.. I.. I think I am done for the day."

 


 

Key walked out of the lecture hall and Onew welcomed him just by the door. The older one was snickering like a devious little child excited to spill a plan to a playmate.

"What is it, hyung?"

"You really whooped her in there. Did you see her after you asked your first question? She was really awkward.. That's some stunt you pulled there! Shame though, she's not feminine but she's pretty."

"I didn't see it and why would I look at her. If you ask me, her lecture was pretty on point though. She was able to present it to you guys in a manner that can be understood easily. It's just a pain to listen to but manageable."

"Hey.. I know you are smart, okay? Don't rub it in my face that you are a science geek. Hell, as if you can read through programs like I do!"

"Touche."

The inmates then headed to the grounds where the other prisoners were playing soccer. It did not escape Key's keen observation skills that the Choi Brothers were nowhere near the grounds; not even near the doors that would lead to the field. It baffled him a bit but dismissed the thought when Onew decided to play a game. A lot of the other would invite him to join but he refuses, saying he has a stomach ache of some sort. It was just a petty excuse though. He was just too shy to reveal that sports arent's really his thing. He'd rather read through books. 

He bid Onew goodbye and told the latter that he will just be inside to rest near the dining area. It was there he found the Choi  Brothers and the rest of their crew; Kyuhyun, Eunhyuk, Lee Joon and Hoya. Two of them were sentenced for theft; the other two for bribery. Slowly, the brothers started to walk towards Key. He readied himself for any possible punch he might receive from the two. To his surprise though, the brothers bowed and even the rest of the other guys. 

"Woah, woah.. What is this? Some kind of joke?"

The two raised their heads and asked the other four to scram. They then lead Key to an empty bench just near the dining area. He was still confused on what was going on.

"Is this some kind of joke? Guys, please.. I've had my fair share from you. Besides, I am not in the mood to argue as well."

"It's not that." Siwon spoke. "My brother here told me of what happened.."

Key then recalled the encounter he had with Minho in the storage room where he threatened to bleed him to death if they don't stop. He would actually want to facepalm himself with what happened. "I was a having a really bad day at that time. I didn't..."

"It's okay." Minho added.

"What?"

"We asked the other guys to leave because we didn't want to ruin our image to them but we just want to say that we'll stop with the jokes. This is so cowardly but we know the stories about you. We didn't think you were capable of it but Minho experienced it first hand. The last thing we want is to mess with the likes of someone like you. We'd want to make it alive out of here. Please, forgive us for anything we've done." The two then bowed once more and left. Key didn't really know how to feel on what happened. He was feeling relieved that finally a thorn on his neck has been picked out but it still feels like hundreds of thorns are still embedded in his skin.

"So, it's because of that huh?" he whispered to himself.


 

Amber went straight back to her apartment in Gangnam after the lecture she conducted in the prison. It was already past lunch and there wasn't a sensation of hunger bugging her that moment. Her head was too busy trying to decipher and put together puzzle pieces that don't seem to make sense. Consequently, she just spent an entire hour unproductively. Thus, in order to prevent any additional loss in time, Amber decided to just head back to the laboratory where Victoria and the other molecular biologists were. She just took a cab and arrived in less than 20 minutes.

"Amber?! I thought you went home..."

"Sorry, eonni. I thought that I could rest to but I just had to go back to work. Besides, I have to monitor my cell cultures.. Make sure they are healthy. I wouldn't want pesky bacterial contamination."

Amber did her business and inspected whether there were fungal or bacterial contaminants in her cell culture. Fortunately, there was none. She returned the culture vessel back into the incubator. She still has a day before she needs to replenish the media. With nothing else to do, Amber decided to read through different journal papers that were dealing on RNA interference on a target gene responsible for cell proliferation in cells. 

"You reading something??" Amber turned to see who it was and just as she thought, it was Changmin.

"Hey oppa.."

"RNA interference? You trying to check whether or not it will be effective in preventing the downregulation of the RAS gene?"

"It is highly possible. I just cloned the 3' UTR and I have yet to have my cell systems express the gene."

Changmin then walked away and Amber just followed him with her sight; looking at his most minute actions. It wasn't anything special but Amber finds amusement over the fact that Changmin is trying to be discreet on his actions towards Victoria. Practically everyone in their laboratory are aware that Victoria has been the object of affection for Changmin ever since the woman entered.

Amber just smiled and went back to reading. And reading was the way Amber ended her night. Three days followed after and the lack of promising results frustrated her. Because of this, Victoria decided to invite her for dinner at a Chinese restaurant not far from their lab. The food was simple but it was plenty enough for the two of them to feel bloated by the end of the night.

"Eat up! It's not like you to not ravage food."

"I'm fine eonni.. Don't worry."

"You've been oddly quiet in the lab lately, Amber. We all know you are a workaholic and can be a pain to the administration but you are fun and lively when you work with us. These past few days, you're just quiet and reading on journal articles on your station. You've been like that ever since the lecture.. Are you sure you're okay?"

"I am.. Really.."

"Please.. If something is bothering you, don't think twice and just tell me, okay?"

"Come on, as if you don't have anything to tell me? Changmin oppa, huh?"

Amber's tease made Victoria blush and embarrassed. With that simple joke, Victoria is holding on to the fact that Amber will be okay. They finished their dinner in around an hour or so and each went their separate ways to head home. 

She wasn't lying though. Amber was okay. She has this inquisitve mind that is always running and coming up with different questions; questions that are meant to be answered. She doesn't know if that nature of hers poses as problem but it is because of that inquisitive mind that she has attained her achievements. It is that inquisitive mind that keeps her competent in the laboratory...

 

But it is also that inquisitive mind that keeps her distracted because one question and only question has been running inside her head ever since that lecture.. 

"Just who are you, Key?"

============================================================

An update! YEY! Forgive me for some technical terms but I had to keep them that way. But feel free to search them though. I can honestly say they are valid since they are based on experience as well. Anyway, we are just in chapter 2. Thank you for all the upvotes and thank you to all the subscribers!^^