Chapter 4- Acceptance

Redemption

He was optimistic on what the future holds for him. It's always been the type of demeanor he sported, even after facing imprisonment. He didn't feel the need for changing his outlook in life. What he did was stupid and reckless but he was young and naive. He didn't know better. It was just that he chose to hang out with the wrong people at the wrong time. And despite of learning the fact that those people never treated him as a friend, his imprisonment was a blessing in disguise. He met a good friend while he was inside.

Lee Jinki. That was the name written on his citizen card. The citizen card he hasn't seen for over three years or so. It was confiscated from him when he was arrested. In fact, it was surprise to him to even see the item be given to him for possession. He was never too fond of his name. It sounded such a clean name; as if it was a name for someone that can do no wrong. It pressured him and made him somewhat despise his own name.

The warden of the holding facility was generous to call and pay for a cab for him. Onew always felt that the warden favored him since he is one of the most well-behaved prisoners. The incident he punched someone was an isolated case since he was defending Key. He was bound for Yangcheon. It wasn't far from the prison located in Mapo. The district is progressive but kept areas that were accessible enough for those that live under the normal average income. Onew knew that he was practically a useless citizen at the moment since he just came from prison and isn't paying any tax.

His apartment was something he arranged a month before he was released. It was a keep-safe investment. There was downpayment that was paid for by a loan from the government granted to him as part of his parole. He'll pay it off by looking for a job (assuming he can find one, anytime soon) and the remaining rent and household expenses will also be covered by his salary.

And the first step into getting a job is looking through the newspaper and yellow pages. He's always amused by the variety of content those printed materials have to offer; and despite being a techie like him, he believes that people are too immensed in the internet to even read through other sources. A couple of the ads were really odd; sewer cleaner, tailor, seamstress, barber, envelope er. It was varied but he saw in the sea of posing opportunities around four job openings that were related to computers. Two were about technicians and the two were programmers. He'd prefer the second job description but he's desperate. A job would still be a job; he just prefers those related to computers so that working won't feel such a waste.

It was late and he was hungry. There was a small cart that sold blood sausages standing a block away from his apartment complex. It'll be enough to fill his stomach, he said to himself.

 

The following morning was his job hunting day. His first stop would be the technical job that was offered near Yeongdeungpo. The establishment was located in a small complex that housed shops of computers and cellphones. He was welcomed by the a man that was around his 30s.

"Good morning! I saw the ad you posted on the yellow pages. I was wondering if the job was still available?"

"Is this the technical and repair assistant? Aigoo.. Sorry! It has been filled by someone for over a month now. Sorry about that.."

Onew just smiled and bowed courteously to the man. It was one job down, three more to go. Unfortunately though, the following two in the list had also been filled. It was nearing end of office hours on his watch and the last job offering was in Mapo. It was a 20-minute train ride from Yongsan. He decided to push the time limit and hopefully make it in time. The place was in Hongdae. Onew wasn't entirely sure on what the place was like but he had his hopes. Sadly though, his hopes were crushed the moment he arrived. The place has been long closed.

"That directory was worthless! Ugh.."

Frustrated, Onew started walking aimlessly in the streets of Hongdae; as he did, it brought back memories. The streets were filled with university students. It brought back some memories and he can only smile with the meanings each memory holds.

"I should get a job soon or else I'd rather go back in prison.."

And as if his prayers were heard, the very chicken store he was standing in front of, posted a job opening on the window. He took it as a sign and immediately headed inside. The ahjumma that posted the paper was shocked to see him speed right inside.

"May I help you?"

"You have a job offering, eommonim?"

"Yes. Are you interested?"

"Yes! Whatever it may be. I am just need of a job right now."

The ahjumma was gracious enough to not even ask for his resume. All she had Onew do was sign. She was running a fried chicken and beer place. It had a lounge and offered late night drinks for students that would want to spend the night away leisurely. The open at 4:00pm and close at around 2:00am. And since the store were short in people, Onew would most probably finish by 3 or 4 in the morning before he even gets the chance to get home. He didn't consider it an issue. The salary he'd be given per day was above average and if he saves enough, he'll have no problems paying rent and electricity at the least.

"Do you have a cellphone, son?"

"Sorry eommonim.. I don't have one."

"Aigoo. Okay then. Just make sure you'll have one next week, okay? I'll be needing it so that I can contact you. Also, if you wish to start today, feel free to do so. We're already open but the bulk of customers would come in at around dinner and past that. Very few students stay beyond midnight anyway. We'll need all the help we can get."

"All right eommonim! Thank you!"

When the ahjumma spoke of the time the customers would rush in was of truth. They opened at 4:00pm but it wasn't until past 6:00pm did the first customer arrive. Onew got the orders with his warm smile and killer looks. The female customers didn't take their eyes off of him, even if he already entered the kitchen.

It felt like beginner's luck for him but that night, the place was b with customers. All the tables were occupied and there was a line waiting outside. It was a sight to behold on his part. There was a part of him that felt nostalgic and teary all at the same time. He used to enjoy such gatherings with some of his friends before he hung out with the wrong crowd. Being a university student brought him much joy and happiness.. But then again, he wouldn't have his life any other way.

"Are you all right?"

"Ne eommonim."

"Stop being so formal.. Just call me Imo or Eomma.. Whatever you are comfortable with. It's fine."

"Would eomma be fine?"

"Sure thing! We're really filled tonight.. Could it be because of you? Haha. It's almost midnight now. A little past that, the tables would start emptying themselves. Relax a little bit. There is chicken inside. Grab a bite."

Onew thanked the old lady but he wasn't feeling hungry even if the last meal he had was a piece of red bean bread which he last ate before noon of that day. He'd rather enjoy the view of the students. Most of them were in groups and would talk loudly and be noisy but there was one customer that caught his attention. She was alone and enjoying herself a bottle of beer. He didn't notice what time she came but it's as if it hasn't been long. By the time most of the customers left, it was already one in the morning. Despite this, the girl stayed behind and even asked for another bottle of beer.

"Omo.. She's here again."

"Ehh?"

"She was also here last night.. Same spot, same scenario. I don't know what she's up to but it's not good for her to drink like that."

"I'll go talk to her." Onew then walked towards the girl that seated in the corner of the store with a bottle of beer in hand. "Excuse me. Excuse me, Miss?"

The girl turned her head and looked directly at Onew's eyes. Chills went down Onew's spine with what the girl did. There was a familiar look in her eyes. It was the same exact look Key used to had in his eyes; emptiness and a lack of a reason to live. There was a feeling of misery in the girl's eyes.

"Yes?"

"Ahh-uhh.."

"Miss.. I am afraid to say that we'll be closing soon."

"Oh my. All right. Sorry for keeping you." She bowed and stood but stumbled in her steps. She sounded sober but her body language gave her away. Concerned for the girl's well being, the ahjumma ordered Onew to assist the girl back home. He was hesitant but the ahjumma insisted that it was more of an order as a boss instead of a request. She stressed that she wouldn't want to feel responsible if something bad happened to the girl.

Because of this, Onew ended up walking with the girl. She wouldn't say much so it gave Onew the chance to look at her more intently. She was petite and had straight black hair. She wasn't wearing her ID but based upon her casual look, she is most probably a student. And even if she was drunk, she still smiled brightly. Five blocks from the restaurant, they appeared to have arrived at a small apartment complex. Onew expected the girl to head inside but instead she sat down on one of the gutters and burped loudly.

"Sorry.."

"Miss, is this where you live?"

"Hey! Don't be such a party pooper.. Do you hate me?"

"Why would I hate you?"

"It's really nice of you to accompany all the way here. I didn't see you at the store yesterday. You new?"

"I just.."

"Nevermind.. Maybe you just started. You know what? You're the first person who has been nice to me today." The girl then started crying. "I broke up with my boyfriend just the yesterday and then everyone that was close to him started to talk trash about me. It you know? I thought they were my friends as well but I never thought they'd do that. Let alone, my internship hasn't been doing lately. I feel so worthless.."

She cried and sobbed. Onew was at a loss on what to do. With the lack female interaction he has suffered, the only thing he can do was offer the girl his handkerchief. "It's kind of dirty but please.. I tend to be really awkward around girls at times but please stop crying. You look a lot better when you smile." With those words, the girl stopped and smiled. She gladly took Onew's handkerchief and wiped her tears.

"This is my apartment.."

"All right. I wish you all the best, Miss! I'll be going." With a short farewell, Onew started walking away to head back to the restaurant.

"Wait!" The girl ran to Onew and suddenly planted her lips on Onew's. It was quick, short and sweet but it gave Onew one of the biggest shocks of his life in the longest time. After the brief kiss she gave, she waved goodbye and headed back. Onew didn't wave back nor did he even smile. He just stood there, touching his lips, in a complete state of shock.

It was his first kiss after all.

 


 

He rejected her offer of help. Key isn't dumb and because of this, he tends to look at things rationally and with a clear object of reasoning. For him, there was no clear reason as to why a stranger he met by chance at a lecture would bother with a prisoner like him. They didn't even know each other. But despite this, he applauds the girl's courage.

On the other hand, Amber feels spiteful for being rejected. She was sincere with her words and she knew it reached the guy when she talked to him the other day. Amber knows that the guy isn't stupid. She knows that what she is doing appears irrational but she knows it isn't.

"Eonni, don't tell me you are planning to go back in there? Didn't the guy warn you already to not to?"

"I can't let it go Sulli.."

"How come? He's just a prisoner.. He is in no means connected to you."

"That's not the point though Ssul. I just.. Think of it this way, what I am doing right now is like getting funding for a thesis proposal. You know that something good will come out of your project but you have to work in getting the funding. It's like that."

"I still don't get it.. But still! You're going today there, right? Let me come with you. It's not far from here right? Victoria eonni isn't around to help you anyway."

Amber obliged to Sulli's persuasion. The younger one was quite persistent in forcing Amber to serve as a companion. Sulli has no ill intentions. She just wants make sure that Amber is safe. They were pretty close anyway. The facility was just a bus ride away. By the time Amber reached the prison, the guards weren't all too pleased to see her back. She caused quite a scene already just the other day.

Two of the well-built guards that greeted them started to guide them through the prison. There was a view of the dining hall from the wing they were brought to. Amber busied herself with the view of everyone. She was astounded by the amount of orange jumpsuits clumped together in a single area. But despite this, the view of Key did not escape her. She looked for the right timing and started to run away from the guards, causing the guards to call for backup.

Amber rushed to the main dining hall, Sulli running after her. The former did not even care that she'll be directly diving into a sea of criminals, others were thieves, swindlers while others were murderers as well. She started shouting Key's name across the hall which made her the center of attention. She didn't care. She started walking towards Key who was already trying his best to hide.

"I told you to not come back here!"

"Please, just hear me out.."

Rushing herself allowed her to be in close proximity with Key. However, someone stood and blocked the way. It was a man. He was of medium build and had a weird hairstyle. The tattoos he adorned were seen peeking through the sleeves.

"Excuse me, sir."

"You're too noisy, Miss." He emphasized the honorary. Amber stepped to her left but he just blocked her once again.

"Sir, please.. Excuse me, I have to talk that man."

"Shut up!" As he shouted, the man slapped Amber really hard. It was loud and made Amber stumble to the floor. She hit her head which rendered her unconscious. Key saw what happened from afar and fumed. He ran to where Amber and the man was.

"What's your problem, bastard?!"

"Is she your girl? You have odd taste 31391.."

"It's none of your business, you dickhead!"

Key's mocking started to cause an uproar which eventually lead to rambling in some of the prisoners within the vicinity of their fight. The guards soon came and separated everyone. Key emerged with wounds and bruises but the other guy surely received a fair share of blows as well; his eyebrow would definitely need stitching. Amber was still unconscious and both of them were brought to the clinic for treatment.

 

 

Fluorescent lamps welcomed her as she started to wake up. Amber felt a tingling sensation on her left cheek and a painful feeling on her head. She sat up slowly and was greeted by an old lady.

"You're up."

"Where am I?"

"Why, you are in clinic my dear. You bumped your head on the floor and lost consciousness."

"Well, that would explain the pain on my head."

"You caused quite an uproar there though, my dear. You were lucky you weren't trampled over by the other prisoners."

"Really? I didn't remember any of that. Who's my savior?"

The nurse then opened the curtains and revealed it was Key who helped her remain safe. He was covered in bandages and he had his fist bandaged tightly as well. The two of them just looked directly at each other. Amber lowered her head though, apologetic and embarrassed by the situation. If she didn't run after him like that, this might haven't happened.

"Are you an idiot?!" Key shouted.

"Sorry.." Amber whispered.

"You recklessly went into the dining hall like that, shouting like a madman.. Any prisoner would be annoyed even if you were a girl. Aish! I told you to not come here again, right? If you hadn't this wouldn't have happened to me. Look at you! You have a red mark on your cheek from the slap you received. You literally fell from a slap? What kind of weakling falls from a slap?"

Key was angry and Amber believed he had every right to be mad. It was just that through his constant nagging and Amber's disappointment to herself, she started to tear up and later on  succumb to her tears. Her crying soon started to silence Key.

"Are you serious?!"

"Look, I'm sorry okay? I didn't want any of this to happen. I came with clean intentions. What I did was stupid, I know.. But do you really have to call me a weakling? An idiot? It's very hurtful you know. You might as well have left me unconscious on that floor if you are going to insult me!"

It was a lost battle. Key surrendered to a crying Amber. He then dragged a monoblock chair and placed it beside Amber's bed.

"Stop crying. I said, stop! Look, this is the exact reason as to why I told you to not come back. You obviously have no idea on what kind of people are inside a prison. It was for your own good as to why I didn't want you lurking around here. I know you're aware that I know what all the scientific stuff is which makes me thinks rationally.. Diving in there, wasn't rational.."

"Then would you consider saving me irrational? Doing the right thing is irrational?"

Key stammered with his words. Amber made a point. He didn't think twice to dive into the center of the scene. "But still.. Just why? Why are you doing this?"

Amber looked Key straight in the eyes and so did Key. "I am doing this because this is the rational thing to do. It may look irrational to you but it is rational to me. Eyes don't lie, Key. I looked into your eyes and not once did I see lust for murder or death. Your eyes are empty and seek for help. I don't care what you say but I know you didn't commit the crime you were charged guilty of. Call what I am doing a noble act, well maybe it is.. I may not know you but there is just something inside of me that can't let go of the situation. My instinct is telling me to help you clear your name.. So please, let me."

"I don't know what you are talking about.."

"Key..Key! Come on, look me directly into the eyes and tell me that you murdered those people. Tell me their names as you say it. Come, say it!"

Amber's words were filled with conviction. Key can't deny that. He tried to do what Amber is challenging him to do but he can't. It feels as if he was caught in the act of pretending. Key clenched his fist and pursed his lips trying to utter the words Amber asks of him. Cold sweat slithered down in his back. He can't think of an explanation for it but he can't. Key can't do it. He just looked at Amber and that's when Amber knew the answer.

He has accepted the offer. There was no denying to that.

==================================

Another update^^ Trying to update as much as I can before I go all busy again this week. Hope you liked it. A little dose of Onew. Watched his epsiodes for Law of the Jungle.. TOO CUTE. WGM Global as well and the couples are really cute. Let alone, Amber is really pretty in every episode.

Okay, sorry for the random drabble. Please look forward to the next chapter! :)