Third Face

Façade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 Yay, update! You guys made me release the 2nd chapter so early, otherwise you wouldn't have had to wait so long without anything haha XD
I'm not 100% satisfied, but then again, I never am. This is one giant paragraph you could say. No flashbacks for now, just big woogyu! (and banggyu haha)
It stays angsty with a bit of sunny fluff in between. The next chapter will probably be the last, but it could change last minute :3 I'll notice when I write it!

Leave me comments below or I will leave you hanging for another month again haha -evil laughter- Since HV is finished, I will finish this next. So no panic!

Love you, chopsticks!


 

His clothes are drenched by the name he reaches the address Sunggyu gave him. He yanks the door to the small café open. The ground below his feet is immediately swimming and Woohyun feels people staring in his direction. He doesn’t pay them much attention though. His eyes are looking for Sunggyu anxiously. A tissue suddenly touches his cheek and Woohyun turns his head. The older man is standing right next to him, trying to dry him somehow.

“Are you an idiot? Don’t you have an umbrella somewhere in your wardrobe?” The black-haired man scolds him.

Woohyun wants to hug him, but Sunggyu is so wonderfully dry and he doesn’t want to make him sick. He wants to say something but he notices his lips are trembling too strongly. His whole body is shaking from the cold. A worker steps closer and hands Sunggyu a towel. “Thank you.”

The older man pulls him to the side. “Let’s try to get you dry. What were you thinking?”

Sunggyu puts the towel on his head and starts rubbing his hair dry.  “I…I didn’t have your number.”

“That’s not reason enough to leave your house without an umbrella. Your clothes are ruined too!”

Woohyun knows he should be furious about his clothes. They won’t be the same even if he dries them, but strangely enough he feels okay with it. Maybe because Sunggyu is so close that he could make their lips touch by leaning forward. Maybe because Sunggyu is looking at him with so much care that he forgets how much money is on his skin right now.

“Y-You s-said you won’t wait.” It’s hard to talk with chattering teeth.

Sunggyu flicks his forehead and Woohyun flinches. The older man shows him a pout. “I know what I said! Aish…what am I supposed to do with you?”

The younger man stays silent and just lets him dry his hair. He just uses the time to study Sunggyu’s perfect features. He is wearing the glasses again that make him look even cuter. The waiter returns with a bigger towel which he hangs around Woohyun’s shoulders. He looks like he would rather throw him out than help him – well, he is spreading a huge puddle of water on the floor – but for some reasons he doesn’t.

“Thanks, Sungjong.” Sunggyu says and it clicks in Woohyun’s mind. They know each other.

“Does this café belong to you?” He asks and the black-haired man gives him a confused look.

“Me?” He laughs. “How did you get that idea? I don’t have the money to buy this shop.”

But your family is rich. You are rich. Sunggyu lets go off the towel and leads him over to a table at the back. “We are roommates and colleagues. You slept in his room last time.”

Oh. Oh! No wonder that waiter seemed kind of mad at him for more than one reason. Wait- colleagues? “You are working here?”

He stares at Sunggyu with wide eyes and the older man laughed shortly. “I didn’t mean to trick you. It’s just the place where I’m most comfortable.”

He wants to ask Sunggyu why he’s working at a café. Why are you living in such a ‘normal’ apartment? Why are there no pictures of your family? So many whys but he doesn’t ask out loud. In theory, he shouldn’t know about Sunggyu being from a rich family. He hasn’t said it himself yet.

“It’s fine.” Woohyun mumbles absent-mindedly.

Sungjong brings them two hot chocolates to the table and Sunggyu thanks him. The waiter only rolls his eyes and gives Woohyun a glare before walking away. “He doesn’t like me, does he?”

The black-haired man chuckles. “He thinks you’re taking advantage of me.”

Woohyun blinks. “How so?”

Sunggyu grabs his cup and turns it between his fingers. “I had a lot of people following me around for the wrong reasons in the past. You’ve probably heard of Kim Corp., right?”

“Y-Yeah. Do your parents own it?”

The other man suddenly laughed. “Used to own it – past tense. You didn’t check the news much the last few years, huh?”

Indeed he didn’t. Woohyun doesn’t own a TV or radio and he has never bothered to check any news besides celebrity gossip. “I was a little busy. Sorry, I didn’t want to touch any painful spots.”

“It’s fine.” Sunggyu shrugs. “It’s all in the past. The company went bankrupt and my parents…they didn’t handle the loss well. How important do you think money is, Woohyun? Do we need it to be happy?”

“Yes.” He blurts out without thinking.

The black-haired man takes a sip from his chocolate. “Why?”

“Because we need it for things like food or a home or transportation or-“

“Wait, let me rephrase my question: Do you think you need a lot of money to be happy?”

“Well…the more money, the better your house is and everything else. You can travel anywhere you want and-“

“And that’s happiness?” Sunggyu folds his arms and Woohyun gulps because he seems to be on the wrong path.

There was a time when he thought otherwise, but life has taught him that you won’t be able to obtain anything without money. People won’t respect you when you have no money. People with more money will trample over you whenever they can.

“I see…my parents thought the same.” Sunggyu says and Woohyun notices that he took too long to answer his question.

He looks at the older man and notices him staring at the bottom of his cup with a sad gaze. Woohyun wants to reach out for him, but he holds back. He’s afraid of asking what happened to Sunggyu’s parents.  “So you think otherwise?”

“I never cared much about my parents’ money, though even until today people try to get close to me, because they think I inherited tons of many when they died. But their suicide just told me what I already knew: A lot of money doesn’t equal happiness. I think it’s like a drug. The more money you have, the better you might feel at that time, but when you lose it all, you’ll suddenly be lost. You can’t remember what it was like without much money, how you survived, it becomes too much. There are tons of people surviving in this world with little to no money at all. I know not all of them are happy, there are some things we can only buy with money – like medicine or a bed to sleep – but shouldn’t people with a lot of money help those in need?”

Woohyun stares at him. Suicide? “Sorry if I’m talking too much. You probably don’t care.”

“What? No! It’s just a lot to take in. I don’t think you’re wrong. It sounds very noble.”

“But?” Sunggyu smiles at him, though his eyes show a hidden sadness.

“Isn’t that just idealistic?”

“What more is happiness than an ideal set by society?”

Woohyun tilts his head to the side. “Society defines happiness as how much we own and how much can we buy, but there is more. I’ve lived without much money ever since my parents’ death and I’m happy enough. I donated all of the money I inherited to an orphanage. I didn’t want something that caused them to leave this world.”

“What about those people without a job? I’m sure any homeless person would laugh at your words.”

Sunggyu shrugs. “I give them what little I can give away. Have you ever helped out at a shelter? Probably not. Those people need nothing more than a bowl full of warm soup to be happy. There are not many people who think like me and I don’t force those who disagree to think my way. In the end, everyone has their own definition of happiness.”

Silence engulfs them. Woohyun tries to process Sunggyu’s words. It’s seems unrealistic, naïve and idealistic, but his words sound sincere. He can see in the other man’s eyes that he means those words. He really believes in this type of unmaterialistic happiness. Woohyun wants to believe in it to, but he’s afraid of being disappointed once again. He wonders if he should tell Sunggyu the truth about him. Would the black-haired man understand him or be mad at the lies?

“This was probably not what you had in mind, when you invited me for a drink. Are you disappointed?”

The younger man shakes his head and manages a smile. “No, not at all. I was just deep in thought. I’ll probably have to think about your words for a while to let them sink in. But I’m not disappointed at all. You’re a wonderful person.”

He spots a slight blush on Sunggyu’s cheeks and his smile seems a bit more cheerful than before. “I hope you’re not just saying that to get into my pants.”

“No! But I would love to get your number.” Woohyun rubs the back of his neck shyly.

“Okay.” Sunggyu takes out his phone. “Tell me your number. I’ll call you.”

Woohyun smiles widely and quickly tells him his number. He feels his phone vibrate in his pocket and quickly checks it. He names the new contact “My hamster” and chuckles quietly. The other man scans his face. “What are you laughing at?”

“Nothing!” He replies and quickly snaps a picture of Sunggyu with the cup at his lips. It looks cute and Woohyun can’t stop grinning.

He hears another shutter click and looks up to see the older man taking a picture of him with his phone. Their eyes meet and they laugh. Woohyun wishes he could freeze the moment right there. He knows that he is happy and there certainly is no money involved.

“What did you name me?”

Sunggyu sticks out his tongue. “That’s a secret.”

It seems like magic that they click together so perfectly like this. It’s like they are two old friends who have known each other for forever and Woohyun can hardly believe how easy it is to get lost in the flow. Sunggyu is still as amazing as before. He wants to keep him by his side forever, make him his, bath him in all the happiness the world has to offer.

If only it were this easy.

“Sunggyu.”

They turn their heads towards the door and Woohyun lets out a displeased groan. Yongguk is there again, as sudden as last time. Their eyes meet for a moment and they exchange short glares. Sunggyu lets out a sigh as the younger man steps closer. “Yongguk. Please stop doing this.”

“I was just walking by-“

Woohyun sends him another glare. “Is he stalking you, Sunggyu?”

He knows he is being overprotective and it’s not even his place to act as the black-haired man’s guardian, but his instincts urge him to protect the man he loves. The older man looks back to him. “No, it’s fine, Woohyun.”

“Who is that dwarf?” Yongguk asks as he steps closer with a scowl.

Woohyun stands up. “You are not that much taller!”

“Guys, please don’t fight in here.” Sunggyu interrupts them before their argument can escalate. “He’s a friend, Yongguk. Now tell me why you are here again. I don’t need another expensive present.”

“I know that, but it’s different this time.” He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter