Under a Whole New Light

When the Tables Turn

"Kim Taeyeon, you've finally figured it out," Tiffany said with a sly smile. What? That was kind of pulled out of nowhere.

"Figured out what?" I ask, a rising questionability in my voice. Tiffany and Yuri exchanged glances and sighed. 

"We actually thought..." Tiffany whispered to Yuri.

"I know... she's such a block head someti-"

"You know I'm right here, right?" I blurt out. I was tapping my foot impatiently now. What do they know that I don't? 

Tiffany gives a worried look to Yuri, who returns it with a nod. "It really doesn't matter, Tae-"

"Yes it does! If it involves Sunny then I need to know. You can't just say something like that and end up not telling me anything," Yuri sighs and scoots up the couch a bit more. She wipes her hands on her pants, her eyes beating around the room to figure out what to say.

"Sunny... Sunny well..." Yuri starts off at an incredibly slow rate. Tiffany seems to be getting a little impatient as well, and cuts her off.

"Sunny has been in love with someone," she finally blurts out.

I can't help but feel a little tug. I mean, it's... great that she is in love, but if it's tearing her apart like this then I can't say that with the same confidence. And since when? Why didn't she tell me?

I guess my facial expression is amusing, because Tiffany and Yuri are grinning once more. 

"A-and...?" I heard myself stutter. Maybe I'm more nervous to hear about this "love" that Sunny has fallen for.

"Don't freak out or anything, because we don't know what your personal views are or anything," Tiffany cautions. I brace myself for something possibly shocking. Tiffany lowers her voice, something I'd never guess would happen, and speaks.

"She's been in love with this girl for a very long time. Probably even before debut," This time I know what my facial expression is. I'm utterly shocked. If it's been that long, then there's no way she could be struggling for a short while. There's a chance this might not be her problem, but it could also be an addition to her problems. Thinking back to the situation with the laptop, there's no way this is it. I'm just scratching the surface.

And why haven't I heard anything about it either? Sunny's my best friend and has been since debut. Why have I been shut off by this fact? Being in love is something bestfriends goof around about. And... wait. Did I hear her right?

"Did you say girl?" My tone sounds a little over excited. I don't know why. 

"Yup. I-I mean, you don't have a problem with that, do you?" It doesn't take a second for me to reply.

"Of course not. Never has bothered me. I'm just surprised she didn't tell me," I look at the floor, expecting a quiet acknowledgement, but instead I'm greeted with a flurry of laughter. I whip my head up and stare increduously at them.

"What is so funny? What's up with you two today?!" 

My patience was running thin. My hand slapped the coffee table in front of me, shaking the glasses and snack bags a bit. Tiffany and Yuri looked a bit startled, but they chuckled it off.

"Sunny likes you, Taeyeon," Yuri wiped a tear from her eye, calming herself down from the hysterical laughing earlier. A flash of pink shoots up my neck and to my cheeks, and I can feel my eyes widen significantly. An unfamiliar buzz resonates in my chest, and I'm not so sure of how to take the news. The only thing that I can think of is "Why?" 

Why in the world would Sunny like... or love me? If she had to like a girl, why wasn't it someone else? The industry we're in involves so many beautiful, talented, and humble women. I just can't wrap my head around it. 

"Hey Tae, you ok?" Tiffany places her hand on my shoulder and snaps me out of my thoughts.

"Y-yeah, I'm fine," I say, getting up from the couch. I pull the fabric of my shirt down and turn to head to bed. 

"I mean-are you ok with this?" Tiffany gives me a questioning look. I have to take a deep breath to calm my nerves, the shakiness of my heart stablizing.

"I...I think I am," with that, I leave for my room and shut the door behind me. The darkness of the room is calming, and I flop on my bed to relax and take the atmosphere in to help calm my questions and rampant thoughts.

I'm trying to fit the pieces together. Sunny has liked me since before debut. Fact. This would explain why she was looking at the coupling polls. With those polls came the negative comments considering the possibility of us being a couple, which probably crushed Sunny. Some of those comments even personally attacked her. Now that I'm considering it, she's brought up feeling unwanted as well. A love like this... a homoual one, that is, isn't really happily accepted. Maybe she's worried about what I would think? Or maybe she's worried about harsh rejection?

If I was in her position right now I guess I couldn't help but feel the same. We are best friends. Something like this could ruin that, especially when she doesn't know my personal views on this kind of thing.

My mind flashes back to Sunny's viewing history on the laptop. The topics on her history weren't about couples. In fact, almost all of them were focused on her and her alone. Between hate messages towards herself and the disapproving fans towards what she wants in a relationship... she probably feels no less than dirt. 

I can't say that I've got this all figured out. I bet I'm just scratching the surface. Nonetheless... maybe there's something I can do. I mean... right now I can't really explain how I feel myself. 

"Sunny loves me..." I say it no louder than a whisper, trying to convince myself that saying it out loud would make the fact more real to me. I don't think I'm in disbelief, but I can't really grasp this... Sunny loves me. Should I be weirded out? Even if that answer is yes I personally am not. I'm just... I guess I just don't know how to respond to this type of thing.

I've said it before a long time ago. I've had men confess to me before, but I never really reciprocated those feelings. I think it was on Strong Heart when I 'fessed up about this thing. I kept count at the time. Maybe it was to help convince myself that there are actually people who show interest in me. I believe the number was around 13. Now, though... I stopped counting after it reached the thirties. It was the same deal over and over. I'd accept a few dates here and there, but I never saw them again. Once those guys saw the real me, they ran for the hills. No, I'm not that cheerful, happy-go-lucky Taeyeon people see on television. I'm just me, a girl who's too tough on herself, too worried about the future, and too self conscious about one thing and everything about herself. I'm nothing out of the ordinary. 

Maybe that's why I feel so different when it's Sunny. She's known me for over 8 years now. She definitely knows the real me, whether I like it or not. She's someone who's known who Kim Taeyeon really is, yet she still has interest in me. It's fascinating, to say the least. 

Maybe I-

I snap myself out of it. What am I thinking? Even if I wanted to um, metaphorically return those feelings... could I really? What would the company say? What would the other girls say? Most importantly, what would the fans say?

Tiffany and Yuri seemed ok with it.

That's true. But still. Tiffany grew up with different ideas of what is socially acceptable. Yuri... well, Yuri to my knowledge has had feelings for a girl before. It would be crazy to assume that after all she's been through she wouldn't approve of a girlxgirl relationship. I just have my doubts...

The fans as well... they've always been into pairing us together. But if that actually happened, how would they react? Would they accept things for how they are? Would they accept a couple that they didn't have visions for in the past? Would they hate us? Would they even go as far as leaving the fandom just because we've decided to act on how we feel? 

I just... don't know what to do from here. I turn over in my bed and take a deep breath.

Here I go again, overthinking things. As the red LED lights of my alarm clock burn "3:00 a.m." on my face, I decide that I should just sleep all of this off. It's too much to think about at once, anyways.

...

 

...

 

...

I don't get any sleep that night.


Hello guys (: It's been a really long time, hasn't it?

Between school and the final exam preparations the previous school year has been hectic, to say the least.

However, I am back, as it is summer vacation now. I've survived year 2 of high school with my straight A's and I'm enjoying the leisure of boredom now. I've stopped reading fanfic for awhile and as I'm looking through my subscription updates, I sure have been missing out on a lot of dandyu stories! I'm overjoyed that there are more authors writing for this part of the sone fandom now. I've become even more motivated to continue this story in particular, it being one of my better plot-lines.

I doubt I will be continuing any of my other uncompleted stories, my apologies. If there is demand for them I just might, but my imagination has run dry of any ideas on how to continue them.

There was also an unpublished story I have written here. It only has a couple chapters written so I may release it when there's more content. I think it'll be a good one (:

Thanks for sticking around. Until next time when I write and update a new chapter~

See you guys. Please comment when you can, I'd like to see what you think about this *short* chapter.