Real Questions

When the Tables Turn

I check the blue Baby-G watch decorating my wrist. It's too dark to see anything, but with the little light I get from the passing streetlights I can tell it's well past 1 a.m. I wonder how many minutes are left in our hour.

I've been facing the inner section of the car for the entire time now, away from Sunny. I drag my dead-weight body over to see how she's doing. Still sleeping. It's honestly the most peaceful I've seen her face look in a while. No worry lines, no frowning, no narrowed eyes-just a pleasant, neutral face. It's a breath of fresh air.

My eyes trail down to her boney hands. Her stubby thumbs don't seem all that stubby right now. Sure they're still quite stout, but her overall weight loss has caused a lot of visible changes in her physical appearance. While my eyes are there I look at her other fingers. Long and narrow. They almost resemble chopsticks.

I grab her wrist softly to compare her hand to my own. It's really the first time her hands have looked smaller than mine. They were usually the same size, or Sunny's a bit wider (not longer, mine are pretty long). If something as insignificant as fingers troubles me so much, I might have to consider my own well being too.

From our palms pushing together to lacing our fingers, I can't help but think about how natural it is to hold her hand. Sure, we've done it countless of times, but it's always felt good. Like I know we won't let go of each other. Even if we physically do, I know that she's still there. It's an omnipresent feeling. In a way, that is our relationship. It's as simple as the interlocking of hands. A part of me wonders if she views it the same way.

The vehicle stops with a small whiplash and I hear Tiffany and Yuri waking up. My eyes whip back from Sunny's hands to her face, and by the groaning and figeting I know she's getting up. Her eyes creak open and she sinks back into her seat, letting go of my hand as if we were never holding hands to begin with. I sigh and sit up straight.

"We're here."

My heart starts pounding. Taking deep breaths doesn't help. I take a look past Sunny to see the twinkling lights of the studio building. I think I'm more nervous than she is. 

We slowly but surely exit the van, taking our time. The taping usually takes a few hours, so there's no need to hurry anything.

The bright yellow room is welcoming. We spot the plush cushions on the floor and take our pick. I make sure I sit next to Sunny, taking her right side. She sits at the end so she is farthest from the hosts. Tiffany and Yuri follow. 

Makeup artists are called to freshen up our faces, and Manager Hwang takes her place.

"Let's just get through this without much thought and get home easily. Tomorrow's an off day. We can order food and all that and just laze around. Don't get too caught up in these people's problems-well I mean don't disregard them, but try not to get worked up about them either."

It seems like a swell plan. We nod and prepare ourselves for the beginning of the show. In all reality, everyone, including the hosts and guests are extremely tired. No one really is smiling. I know that'll all change once the red light pops up. Something doesn't feel so great though. I don't know, I'm just not getting a good feeling about this taping today.

"5, 4, 3, 2..." the director begins his countdown. I shift my feet under my legs and sit up straight. Time to tap into the dorky Taeyeon persona the public seems to love. 


The show goes relatively well, though we've only gone through two of the three people. One woman has a problem with her husband wanting to wear couple outfits all the time. One guy around our age is stressed with his mother wanting him to get married. Luckily none of our dating members are around so no targeting anyone, though we still got bombarded with questions. All of the members came to a unanimous agreement that the guy should marry when he is comfortable. We, or should I say a few other members, have said in the past that they wanted to get married somewhat early, though that desire has fizzled out a lot. Time moves so quickly, I don't think any one of us could imagine marriage any time soon.

The last guest is introduced. A girl in her second year of high school, it seems. Her problem is described as 'lonliness,' a rather broad topic. A girl with short black hair and round glasses slides down the pastel-clad playground slide and into the ball pit, just like all the other guests had. She climbs out and sits next to Yuri.

The girl is asked to talk about what exactly her problem is, because as I've said, it's a rather general statement. 

"I... I just feel unwanted," she finally speaks up, not a decible to her voice. I can't help but notice Sunny tense up next to me. The host coaxes her into continuing.

"It's not that I'm exactly lonely... I have friends, a moderate group, but they tend to pair up and leave me aside. It's not like they're doing it on purpose, they really aren't because they're always there when I need them, it's just that it isn't a present feeling."

The host nods in understanding. I can't exactly say that I can relate to her in this sense. Sure, I've felt empty and alone before, but it was just under my own psychology. I did it to myself. She's feeling this from her environment, not from within.

The girl pushes up her glasses. "It's not just at school either, but I'm the youngest of three girls at home. My parents don't really care what I do. I go a few days at a time without talking to them occasionally."

Tiffany and Yuri are asked about their thoughts and counsel the girl a bit, and with the focus off of me I take this as a chance to steal a glance at Sunny. Concern is a good word to describe what I'm feeling. Her eyes are downcast. I can't help but wonder what she's thinking about.

The girl's time is up and we all grab our buzzers to vote on whose problem is the worst. No one really found the guy with the rushing marriage a problem. A few found the lady whose husband forces her to wear couple clothes a problem. 

"Sunny, what do you think about this girl's problem?" the host snaps me out of my thoughts. Sunny takes a few moments to reply, most likely thinking about what she's going to say before she says it.

"I think she has a serious problem," she finally gets out. None of us have really considered the girl's situation a huge problem, more like a part of life. Sunny doesn't seem to think the same way.

"There's nothing worse than the feeling of unwantedness. You have all of these things; friends and family, but they don't give you the feeling that you have them for real. Rather you get this unfair feeling. You have the things you want, yet you don't. It's frustrating, almost like you have what you need, yet it's not enough. You think that the only answers to your problems aren't even solving anything, am I right?" The girl nods in agreement, "Don't be discouraged. You have a lot of time ahead of you. You'll meet new people wherever you go, and experiences will be fresh," Sunny presses her buzzer, "You're not alone in this kind of situation."

The girl smiles widely and gets up to give Sunny a hug. As I watch, my mind echoes Sunny's last eight words: 'You're not alone in this kind of situation." Does Sunny seriously feel unwanted?

The electronic board counts the numbers for the girl's voters. It seems with Sunny's little reasoning speech the audience began to have sympathy for the girl. Her number counts higher than the others'. 

Sunny warmly smiles at the girl, almost to say 'You see? You aren't alone.' An uneasy feeling settles to the pit of my stomach. 

We close the show off and say our goodbyes, Sunny still clinging to the girl with the glasses. They share a long warm hug as Sunny rubs circles into her back and whispers something in her ear. The girl bows and runs off after that. 

After we thank the staff and production crew, we get back into our van. The sun is beginning to peak through the smog of the dawn sky. I guess my body hasn't realized how long it's been awake because I yawn for the first time despite the lack of sleep I've had. 

I buckle my seatbelt and lie back in a fit of exhaustion. The other girls seem to have the same feeling. As the car starts, I turn my head only to see Sunny staring at me. 'You're not alone in this kind of situation.' Again, I can't shake off those words. I raise my eyebrows at her and she sighs. She takes my hand in hers.

"I need this," she shakes our joined hands, "Is this ok?"

I shake my head dumbly and she smiles sadly. "Thanks," she breathes out. 

...

 

...


A rather short chapter (: I want to start off by saying that this story was meant to be a one-shot, so I apologize if the story-telling is weird. I just got a lot of anticipation and it seems as if a lot of the commenters expected this to be a series, so I thought 'why not?' I hope I didn't crush your expectations...

Also, thank you so much for all the upvotes, subscribers, and commenters. I was really surprised by the sudden increase of positive feedback. If you don't mind, please leave your support in the comments (: I really love comments, more than upvotes to be honest (but don't stop leaving those if you don't mind, haha). If you have questions or anything I'll do my best to reply. Thank you for your support, as always. Until next time~