Leads to Nothing

When the Tables Turn

"Sunny!" I assulted the doorknob one last time. Still no answer. Not even a 'go away.' I put my back against the door and slide down to sit on the carpeted floor.

I don't know if I should grab the key from the top of the door frame or not. Would that be an invasion of personal space? Thinking back... Sunny had always given me space when I was too stubborn to talk to her. Maybe that's exactly what I should do.

I stumble to my feet and make it obvious that I'm leaving, stomping over to my room loud enough for her to hear. I plop down on my covers and sigh loudly. I don't know what to do. All the years I've known her, she's been the happy mediator that solved all of the other members' problems, especially mine... but...

I've never heard her complain once.

I groan loudly. What kind of friend have I been? I've been so wrapped up in my own ing problems that the signs haven't even passed my mind. As much as I don't want to admit it... I can't deal with this situation by myself. My eyes dart to my cell phone sitting on my bedside table. I couldn't text Tiffany about this... she's on a plane. Maybe Seohyun would know what to do. I quickly type a message briefly explaining what just happened, but I hesitate pressing the send button. I don't want to have to rely on her for this kind of matter. She is the youngest... but for all that's happened she's contributed the most to the benefit of the team while I, the leader, just sat there moping about feeling 'empty.' 

I quickly snap myself out of my inner conflict and swallow my pride. That's something I can deal with later... for now, Sunny's health is what's most important. I slam my finger on the button. It doesn't take more than a couple minutes to get a reply.

Seohyun:

That's really strange, unnie. I wouldn't ever guess that Sunny of all people would go through this kind of thing... Just give her some space first. If things become serious...like she's not eating, sleeping, etc, step in. It's terrible if things are the way you say they are... give her my best wishes. I'll come to visit when I can. Thanks for letting me know <3

CRASH

A loud sound of glass breaking tears me away from Seohyun's message. I jump to my feet and run for Sunny's room. I grab the knob, but it's still locked. I jump up and try to snatch the key from the top of the door. It takes a few tries, but I manage to grab it and immediately insert it into the keyhole. I jingle it around until I hear a faint click and slam myself into the room.

"S-Sunny?!" I catch my breath. I haven't noticed how hard my heart is beating... or the sweat running down my forehead.

I don't see anyone, and that worries me. "Sunny? Sunny?!" I call louder. The sound was indeed glass-the empty wine bottle reminants lay lifeless on the floor. I slip on the indoor shoes next to the enterance of the room and carefully make my way to the other side of her bed.

I see what I never expected to come across in my entire life. Sunny lies on the floor, and I'm pretty sure she's wasted. She's unconscious, and her small size makes her look like an abandoned rag-doll. It takes a lot to get Sunny drunk. And by a lot I mean more than a couple bottles just to get her to hiccup. The fact that she's on the floor completely out scares me-how much has she had? 

The smell of alcohol is overwhelming, almost to a point where I can't breathe. I quickly open a window to get the smell to vent away.

I get on my knees and take a good look at her face. Whether it's from the alcohol or the crying, her face is extremely red and puffy. With closer inspection, a few pieces of glass have made their way through her socks and into the bottoms of her feet. She has a little bump on her head too, probably from the fall she took.

She looks so fragile. I almost don't want to touch her. Nevertheless, I have to. I can't just leave her on the bedroom floor with glass in her feet. My left arm snakes around the crook of her neck and my right under her knees. As gingerly as I can, I slowly get my right foot level with the floor and push upwards. I yank the covers off the bed with my foot and get Sunny under them, tucking her in afterwards. I leave her feet exposed so I can work the glass out. I can't help but feel terrible. I don't even know what she's going through and all of a sudden this happens. Does she not trust me with her problems? I don't see why she didn't come...to...me...

A terrible wave of deja vu sweeps over me, and I bury my face in my hands. So this is how she felt...

I stumble my way out of the room and grab a trashcan, broom, bandages, and rubbing alcohol then return. I carefully get the bloody socks off Sunny's feet and pull the shards of glass out. I ready the rubbing alcohol-thank God she's out cold. This would hurt extremely bad if she was conscious. I wash her wounds and wrap the bandage as neatly as I could. I'm no nurse, and I have never wanted to be, but I think I did a pretty good job. I proceed in throwing away the bloody glass into the trash can and sweeping whatever is on the floor into the bin as well. I tuck in Sunny's feet and run downstairs to toss the bag of glass.

When I get back inside, I hear gagging. Crap, Sunny must have woken up already! I ready another plastic bag and towel and run into her room. She's sitting up, her face pale, and vomit is strewn across her blanket. She's covering with the back of her hand and gripping the sheets with the other. She's visibly shaking. Once she notices that I've come into the room, she backs up into the wall, pulling her legs to her chest and trying to put on a face that said nothing happened. I sigh and take the covers carefully as Sunny eyes me from where she sits.

When I get back again, she's gripping her head from the hangover pain and possibly the bump on her head. I wipe with the towel and grab her new clothes from her closet. I tell her to change and she nods. Once more I run out of the room.

I don't know what to do first. Get pain meds or prepare hangover soup. I decide to start the pot of beef broth on the stove and grab a bottle of water from the fridge and a couple pills. I get them to Sunny and run back to the kitchen, the broth boiling.

I hear a faint knock at the door and the sound of a lock tumbling open. I don't bother to look the sound's direction, though. I'm too busy chopping cabbages.

"Taeyeon-a?" I hear a female voice. A voice that belongs to Yuri, I suppose. 

"I'm in the kitchen!" I yell to get her attention. I soon hear footsteps on the white tile.

"Omo, what's with you? You're chopping like shredding machine! Slow down before your finger flies off!" Yuri grabs my right wrist gently, forcing me to slow down. I turn to face her.

"Oh my gosh, Taeyeon... you're a wreck! Is everything alright?" I tilt my head in confusion. I'm the wreck? How...?

My question is answered as I feel my wet bangs fall into my face. 

"You're sweating as much as Jessica when she's in a sauna. What's going on? Seohyun told me to come over, but she didn't explain why..."

Ah, the maknae. Always thoughtful.

"I-I don't have time to explain right now... could you finish the hangover soup for me please? You know I don't cook," I didn't wait for a reply. I take off running to Sunny's room.

I arrive to meet a freshly clothed Sunny lying down sipping water. I grab her desk chair and swing it over to her bedside, feeling her forehead before sitting down. 

"You ok?" I say, not above a whisper. Being the alcohol intolerant I am, I've easily been through nasty hangovers from a can of beer. Loud noises always make the headaches worse.

Sunny's eyes are lidded, but I can see guilt in her eyes. I absolutely don't know why. I'm the one who should be guilty.

"You... look like a... mess..." she reaches towards my own forehead and sweeps my messy, sweaty bangs neatly back into place. It makes me boil up inside that even after all that has happened, she's still trying to look out for me.

"I can say the same for you. What's wrong?" I ask in hopes of finding what it is that's wrong. I don't get an answer, unfortunately. She simply shakes her head and sinks further down into her bed covers.

"Nothing... is wrong, Taeyeonnie," she says with a fake smile. I know it's fake; I would have smiled back otherwise.

I decide not to push it any further, because I know I'm not going to get anything out of her. I dust off my knees and stand up.

"I have soup ready. I'll bring it to you when it's all finished," I walk to the door, "and please be more cautious of your health next time," I don't take the time to face her. Rather, I walk out to meet Yuri once more.

"I know something's up, Taeyeon. You've gotta tell me," Yuri looks at me with a serious glare. It's not often that I see her like this, but when Yuri's serious, you can bet your she's being dead serious.

I sigh as I pour the soup over a bowl of rice and put it on a tray. "There's something up with Sunny... I don't know, but... I found her passed out over a broken wine bottle. I'm just worried she's gonna go too far-" I choke on my last word. I shouldn't be jumping to conclusions, but...

"Her drinking is off the charts... now that I think about it... there hasn't been one time where there hasn't been an empty bottle of some kind of liquor in her room."

Yuri makes a face. It's unreadable, really. 

"Just go and get her the food and some sleep. We'll talk about this in your room."

I nod and walk once more to Sunny's room, tray in hand, trying to keep it from spilling.

"Hey," I announce my presence as I enter the room. She looks up at me, again with that same guilty look. I sigh in frustration. I get her the tray and help her sit up.

"If anything happens let me know." She nods and I head to my room.

I see Yuri playing with her top, fiddling with the black fringe. The floor creaks as I enter, alerting her attention. I slowly close the door behind me, readying myself for what I was about to say.

Yuri looks at me dead in the eye.

"I already know."

....

 

....