01

Our Coffee Shop

Chanyeol walked around his smoke-scented apartment with a cigarette loosely hanging from his mouth. The house always had a dark feel to it, with the torn up faded green couches and dusty old red curtains. The paint on his hallway walls were chipping as the creak of the doors echoed off of them. 

He trudged into the kitchen and poured himself a bowl of what was left of the off-brand Frosted Flakes. He pressed the top of his cigarette into a small glass plate that was on the counter and picked up his cereal, walking to the living room. With a sigh, he sat on the old couch and his tv. 

Crumpled up balls of paper littered the floor around him, carrying the thoughts that he could never put into words. He sighed as he turned off the tv, it was too much of a distraction. There wasn't much Chanyeol focused on anymore besides living and breathing; he found no purpose anymore. 

- - - -

Baekhyun happily skipped down the stairs of his lively house. The way the lights reflected off the walls, leaving no corner dark, gave his house this warm feel to it. 

He walked to the kitchen where he started to make a fresh batch of pancakes. Slowly and carefully, he poured the batter onto the large pan and waited, occasionally flipping the golden-brown hotcake over. 

Once his small batch for one was finished, he lightly poured his favorite maple syrup over them and grabbed a fork. With a smile, he went to his living room and his tv, watching reruns of Running Man.

Canvases designed with beautiful landscapes hung on the walls around him. He was a modest artist, but still took pride in his work. He laughed as he watched the men on the show with an entertained smile.

- - - -

Chanyeol silently walked down the busy sidewalk of Main Street. It was Spring, so there were many people walking up and down the street. Chanyeol rolled his eyes as a group of teenagers bumped into him without a single "I'm sorry!"

Deciding that there were too many people for his liking, he ducked into a small coffee shop that sat on the corner of the sidewalk. 

- - - -

Baekhyun rode his bicycle down Main Street with his cute bear hat covering his head. He spotted a cute cafe on the corner of the street. "Hmm...an Iced White Chocolate Mocha does sound good." He thought aloud. 

Baekhyun parked his bicycle in the bike rack of the cafe and walked in. 

"Hello Baekhyun!" He heard the old woman behind the counter call to him. "Hello Mrs. Shin! How are you today?" He asked as he walked over and put his elbows on the counter, biting his lower lip in excitement. Baekhyun came to this cafe very often, and every time he was greeted by the same sweet old lady. 

"I'm doing well, very tired lately, though." She sighed. "Mrs. Shin...you're not that young anymore...you need to get some help around here." He said with worry written across his face. "I just can't afford it. Money is tight lately. Plus, I've still got a lot of life left in me, dear." She smiled. Baekhyun sighed, "Well, let me know if there is anything you need help with." "Will do." She said with a wink, "So what can I get you, sweetheart?" She asked. "One medium Iced White Chocolate Mocha please." He said. 

She did a simple nod and took down his order. "That'll be $3.50." She said. Baekhyun gave her the money and took a seat in his regular booth. 

 - - - -

Meanwhile, Chanyeol had watched the petite boy converse with the old woman. He had just finished ordering a medium black coffee with two sugars. "Byun Baekhyun! Park Chanyeol!" A young waitress called from behind the counter. Chanyeol stood up and went to get his coffee. He had grabbed his coffee when he felt a light tap on his shoulder. He quickly turned around to see the small man looking up at him. 

"Umm, Park Chanyeol, is it? I just wanted to say that you have a small stain on the back of your shirt." Baekhyun pointed out. He lightly sipped on his iced mocha with innocent eyes. "And?" Chanyeol asked as he walked away. Baekhyun was slightly taken aback. Usually, someone would've given him an embarrassed thank you, but this guy just shrugged him off. He quickly followed him to his booth. 

"And...I didn't want you to walk around all day with a stain on your shirt! That's embarrassing!" He stated. Chanyeol sighed. "Why should I care?" He asked with uninterested eyes. Baekhyun's mouth was slightly agape. Rude. He thought. He quickly sat down across from him.

"What's your problem? Are you allergic to being happy or something?" Baekhyun asked.

"No." Chanyeol said as he rolled his eyes. "I'm just not happy, okay?" He said. "But why? There's so much to be happy about! You woke up this morning, didn't you? You aren't disabled, are you? So smile!" Baekhyun cheered. Chanyeol let out another long sigh. Baekhyun choked down a small cough at the smell of smoke and coffee on the taller man's breath. 

"I just don't have any reasons to be happy! It was taken away from me a long time ago." He said with intense eyes. Baekhyun shrunk down in his seat and sipped on his drink. "Well, not anymore! I'll make you smile you...mammoth." He said and laughed. "I doubt it...dwarf." Chanyeol said, shutting Baekhyun up. 

"Touché...touché." Baekhyun said with squinted eyes.