Promises

The Light in the Dark
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The light streamed past the fluttering curtains causing a slimmer of sunlight to land on the pale porcelain skin of one of the girls laying down. Her brown coloured hair was covering her face before she groaned lightly and gently sat up. Jessica looked around mindlessly, a bandaged covered hand slowly reaching up towards her temple as the throbbing continued relentlessly. Her dark eyes landed on the other girl laying beside her and Jessica finally remembered what had transpired late last night.

 

She slowly stood up, pushing her hair back as she fiddled for her phone. Blinking rapidly as she turned it on, she was faced with many missed calls and unanswered messages from her sister and she was instantly engulfed in guilt. To be quite frank Jessica had not thought about her sister in her haste to get out of the house and away from her aunt's piercing gaze and hurtful comments.


She should have known better than to go out drinking and expect to be received with open arms. Jessica groaned at the continuously throbbing protruding from her head -- how can she be so reckless. She carefully pushed her hair back and searched the room for her shoes, it was really early and she at least wanted to go back home just to explain to Krystal what had happened -- hoping that her aunt hadn't said anything to her about it, Jessica already knowing that her aunt was capable of lying to Krystal just to keep the younger girl on her side.

 

Jessica's eyes fell toward Sunny who was sleeping peacefully and she wondered if last night had been okay. She wondered if she could seek her out once more -- Jessica let out a bitter laugh, knowing perfectly well that things aren't that easy. Nothing was ever easy and repairing a friendship that had shattered and broken along with her life was so much more complicated than that.

 

She stared at the younger girl momentarily before she felt another skull piercing throb protrude from her head and she groaned once more. She really hated feeling like this. She searched the room for a place to write and her eyes registered upon a white paper and she carefully wrote down her thoughts. As another throb emitted from her temple she fruitlessly fumbled for the pack of cigarettes only to remember that Sunny had taken them from her.

 

She left the piece of paper by Sunny's nightstand, next to her phone who was lit up by an unanswered text from Taeyeon. The name caused something in her as she re-read it and she momentarily wondered how things would have turned out differently had she set out towards the older girl's house instead. She scowled before putting on her shoes and quickly leaving both Sunny and her home behind as she sped up in hopes of explaining to her sister her sudden absence, hoping that the younger girl wasn't angry.

 

Yet, Jessica knew better.

 

---

 

Tiffany reached her seat smiling at Taeyeon who was most likely texting Sunny. Her eyes trailed over the empty seat behind her wondering if Jessica was going to show up today or not. Hoping to see the small scar once more -- wanting so much to know the story behind that mark. She didn't know why she as so drawn towards the dark haired girl. She didn't understand the need to comprehend the vast darkness lingering behind those unchanging dark orbs. She felt the need to know her story. Never has she felt that necesity within all of her 17 years.


However, Tiffany was curious and she was stubborn and she never stopped unless she got what she wanted. It was startling, though because she knew Jessica wasn't a bad person -- she could feel it but she wasn't sure what happened and even if she wants to find out, the thought of actually knowing the truth scares her so very much. She knows Jessica is different, call it intuition but nevertheless she won't be scared away once the truth is revealed. However dark and scary that darkness looked, Tiffany wouldn't deter her advances.


She wont. It's a promise she will keep.


Just as she continued her pondering the girl that has been encircling her mind constantly walks inside the room in a sluggish manner and Tiffany wondered why the girl would wear a sweater when it was fairly warm. She stared intently as Jessica walked by and sat on her desk, already laying her head upon her hands and Tiffanys eyes were trained to the distinct white against the dark material of her sweater peeking out from Jessica's hold on the sleeves, were those bandages? Before the younger girl could get a closer look she heard Taeyon calling out to her. Tiffany turned around and gave Taeyeon a seemingly worry free smile, hoping that the older girl wouldn't notice how her eyes keep shifting towards Jessica.

 

"Tiffany, you've been awfully distracted lately, anything wrong?" Taeyeon asked as she pulled out her notebook, getting ready for class just as the teacher walked in.

 

Tiffany remained quiet for a moment before she peered over at Jessica, surprised as she caught the other girl looking back at her. Having being caught off guard, Tiffany quickly looked away, her heart hammering against her chest and she pegged it on the surprise that caused her heart to race like that.

 

"No, no, it's nothing. I was just thinking about something."


Taeyeon hummed as she turn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter