Chapter 24

Shadows of the Dark

Chapter 24:

 
After sending Seungho back to his place, Junhyung climbed the stairs up to his apartment when Namji came to greet him at the top of the stairs. She bowed at the sight of Junhyung.
 
“How are they?”
 
“Dongwoon-ssi just fell asleep from the effects of the medicine. But Gikwang-ssi…”
 
Namji’s sentence ended without a full stop and Junhyung looked up at her with a questioning look. She switched her vision towards Gikwang, who was standing by the balcony of the hallway and looking up into the dark sky. Junhyung sighed softly and instructed her to go to bed. Namji bowed and left the two males alone. Junhyung slowly walked towards the shorter male.
 
“Hey, not sleeping yet?”
 
Gikwang continued looking up the sky and a bitter smile appeared on his lips. After quite some time, he spoke up.
 
“Junhyung, have you ever loved someone so much that despite all the unhappiness that happened, you still want to continue loving this one and only person?”
 
Junhyung stood beside Gikwang with his hands resting on the metal rail. He too, looked up the sky with a soft smile.
 
“I do, and I still love him. Isn’t that what makes the love bond stronger? Going through obstacles, having setbacks and then standing up once again telling the whole world that you love him, despite all their objections.”
 
For the first time tonight, Gikwang turned to look at Junhyung. Junhyung gave him a side smile.
 
“Hyunseung?”
 
Junhyung chuckled and looked at his shoes. Gikwang nodded his head with a genuine smile and turned back to the dark sky.
 
“Dongwoon wouldn’t give up on you, so hold on tightly to him too. And for his parents, just give them time. Things will get better, trust me.”
 
Earlier in the evening, Dongwoon’s parents came over to Junhyung’s house demanding to meet Dongwoon. Junhyung, who was preparing to leave the house to meet Seungho, was informed about the two elders’ arrival by Namji. Junhyung politely greeted them in the main hall of his family building.
 
“Good evening, Sir and Madam. It’s nice of the both of you to be visiting.”
 
Junhyung humbly greeted. The elder man scowled and stomped towards Junhyung. He grabbed Junhyung’s collar and shouted in his face.
 
“Where is Dongwoon?!”
 
The staffs standing by the side all came forward and pulled Son appa away from Junhyung. Junhyung’s eyes have never left the two elders. He motioned for all the staffs to step back.
 
“Please calm down, Sir. Dongwoon is still recuperating from his injuries, so I would like to ask for you to let him stay here at the time being.”
 
Dongwoon’s mum step in and pointed her finger at Junhyung’s face.
 
“Bull! Ask him out and speak to us. We would not allow them to be together! It’s forbidden for them to be together! Yong Junhyung, you better let him out!”
 
“Madam, pl-“
 
“Appa umma.”
 
Hearing that voice, all three of them turned back to see Dongwoon coming out of the lift with his right hand entwined with Gikwang’s left hand. Junhyung stepped aside to let the two elders walk towards Dongwoon. The pair glared at the locked hands between the two males. Dongwoon’s left leg was still on cast and he was holding onto a crutch on his left hand.
 
“Please leave.”
 
“We are not leaving without you. Go back with us.”
 
“I wouldn’t. Not when you are still not accepting us, not accepting what your son is.”
 
“…Son, there are so many girls in the world, why do you choose a guy?!”
 
Dongwoon’s mum went up and grabbed Dongwoon by shoulders. She shook him, hoping that it would wake him up. His dad went forward and pulled Gikwang away.
 
“APPA!”
 
Gikwang was pushed to the floor by Dongwoon’s dad.
 
“Stay away from my son! You are the one who turned him into a monster! He used to be such a good boy! It’s your fault!”
 
Dongwoon’s dad raised his hand and was about to give Gikwang a slap when a hand held him back.
 
“Please restrain from having violence in this house.”
 
It was Yongguk. Himchan helped Gikwang up and asked him if he was all right. Gikwang nodded and looked back at Dongwoon’s dad.
 
“Hah, you are Yong family’s adopted son. The one who likes a male.”
 
“I am, so what? Is gender really a matter when it comes to love?”
 
Yongguk smirked and held Himchan’s hand. Dongwoon’s dad was so furious, his face turned beet red. Dongwoon’s mum started having tears down her cheeks while looking at Dongwoon.
 
“Son, please. It’s still not too late to turn back.”
 
“Umma… I can’t change who I am. This is me, the real one. Would you rather have me back as an empty shell, everyday forcing myself to love people who I don’t and say things which I don’t mean? Or do you want me to be happy everyday, having the love of my life beside me and get accepted by both of you?”
 
“…I will never accept this.”
 
And Dongwoon’s dad was the first to stomp out of the house.
 
“Appa!”
 
Dongwoon’s mum wiped the tears off her face as more and more tears filled her eyes.
 
“Dongwoon-ah… Please, think about this carefully. Don’t ever make the wrong choice.”
 
“Umma…”
 
And she left to follow after his husband. Dongwoon look down at his legs dejectedly. Gikwang walked over and cupped his face in his hands. Dongwoon hooked his arm around Gikwang’s waist and hugged him. Junhyung gave Dongwoon’s shoulder a squeeze and told the staffs to both of them back to their room. Dongwoon turned back and gave Yongguk a look.
 
“Yongguk, thanks.”
 
Yongguk nodded his head with a smile. Junhyung bid his farewell to the two couples before rushing off to meet up with Seungho.
 
—-
 
Seungho was lying on his bed looking at his phone screen. He had gotten Mika’s current number from Junhyung in the car just now. He was hesitating on calling him. Is he sleeping? Will he be angry if I called him now? His phone slipped off his fingers and landed with a loud knock against his face.
 
“Owww…”
 
He rubbed his nose and when he picked up his phone that was on his face, his thumb accidentally pressed on the call button.
 
“Oh shoots!”
 
“Yoboseyo?”
 
Seungho heard that sound traveling out of his speaker. He quickly placed it on his ear and greeted back.
 
“D-deh… Suhoon-ah…”
 
“Who are you?”
 
“…You can’t even remember me now…?”
 
“…Ah, ah ah! Are you Seungho hyung?”
 
Seungho smiled to himself when Mika finally recgonised his voice. He shifted his body to get a better position on his bed.
 
“I just got back from Japan. How are you? Getting used to life in Korea yet?”
 
“Yah hyung, I used to be living in Korea until I was ten!”
 
Seungho chuckled. He missed the time he talks to Mika. He used to have a crush on Mika and being the mature guy he was, he had always been that “always-takes-good-care-of-me-and-will-always-be-my-favourite” hyung to Mika. Nothing more, nothing less. He would happily smile even when Mika told him that he has someone he likes. He also stepped aside with a bitter smile when his dongsaeng was hugging and comforting Mika because Mika’s confession was rejected by Junhyung.
 
“Hyung?”
 
Seungho snapped out of his thoughts of the past.
 
“Ah, sorry. I was thinking about the days in Japan.”
 
“Oh… Hyung, let’s meet up tomorrow!”
 
“Sure, with Hyunmin?”
 
“Yup! And Junhyung too!”
 
“Nah, let’s leave Jun out of this. He have to spend more time with Hyunseung.”
 
“…”
 
“Suhoonie?”
 
“I don’t like him.”
 
“…Who? Hyunseung? Why?”
 
“He doesn’t treasure Junhyung at all!”
 
“Why would you say that?”
 
“Junhyung was so upset these few days because of him. And just one word from him, Junhyung is all back to the happy him again. He is manipulating with Junhyung’s life!”
 
“Hah, Suhoon-ah, you sound like a mother-in-law getting jealous with her son’s wife.”
 
“Yah, hyung! I’m serious!”
 
“Ani, I have met with Hyunseung today. He seems like a nice guy.”
 
“Tch. Goodnight hyung!”
 
“Ah Su-“
 
Before Seungho could continue his sentence, Mika had hang up the phone. Seungho shook his head and sighed.
 
“Still so protective over your ex-crush, eh? What about me…”
 
—-
 
Junhyung and Hyunseung were walking out of the school grounds together. Junhyung had proudly held onto Hyunseung’s hand since the moment their eyes met when getting out of the classroom. Hyunseung asked if he could go to Junhyung’s house to pay Dongwoon a visit.
 
“He is your best friend and also my classmate… So it is right for me to show concern for him…right?”
 
Junhyung knew Hyunseung is doing this for him because he had always wanted Dongwoon and Hyunseung to get along since they were two really important people in his life.
 
“Yongguk and Himchan are at home too, you can pay them a visit too.”
 
Hyunseung looked at Junhyung with cautious eyes. Junhyung mentally thought that Hyunseung really reminds him of a cat getting close to its predator.
 
“Wae?”
 
“You…are okay with it?”
 
“I didn’t have confidence in myself previously because I didn’t know where I stand in your heart. But now, I can proudly say, I have the best seat in there.”
 
Junhyung kissed onto Hyunseung’s knuckles that was entwined in his fingers. Hyunseung bit on his lips to fight back the smile coming up. They walked towards the bus stop and sat down while waiting for the arrival of the bus.
 
“I have best seats…here too..”
 
Hyunseung pressed his palm on Junhyung’s chest. He looked to his left and right, just to not look into Junhyung’s eyes. His face was burning up and Junhyung could see Hyunseung’s ears turning red.
 
“Yup, the VIP seat.”
 
Junhyung cupped Hyunseung’s head to stop him from turning. He drew circles with his thumb on the chubby cheeks.
 
“Can I kiss you?”
 
Junhyung felt the cheeks in his palms getting hotter and he had to resist the urge to kiss him. Hyunseung nodded softly and closed his eyes. Junhyung gently moved closer towards Hyunseung and pressed their lips together. It wasn’t something lustful or forceful. Just pressing of their lips together. Hyunseung could feel the loud heartbeat on his palm and his own heartbeat in his ears. Junhyung opened his eyes a little to look at Hyunseung. He slipped his hand back and pulled Hyunseung closer by the back of his neck. He tilted his head to press his lips fully onto Hyunseung’s and moved their lips together. Hyunseung’s hands were pressed up onto Junhyung’s shoulders and grabbing onto shirt. When they pull away, they pressed their foreheads together while panting. Junhyung wiped off the small amount of drool on Hyunseung’s bottom lip.
 
“Let’s go, the bus is here.”
 
Junhyung smiled happily while getting up and pulling Hyunseung along.
 
—-
 
Once Junhyung and Hyunseung reached his apartment, he heard loud screaming and banging. They rushed in to see Dongwoon slamming his door shut with Gikwang outside screaming at him.
 
“YOU ARE JUST RUNNING AWAY, COWARD!”
 
The two males who just got back were shocked to see them quarreling. Both of them went forward to ask what was wrong. Dongwoon and Gikwang were talking about what happened last night when Dongwoon’s parents came over. Dongwoon was stubborn over the fact that it should be his parents thinking through about it on their own. He thinks that no matter what he say is not going to do much help since his parents are too stubborn to listen to whatever he is going to say. But Gikwang was trying to convince him that if Dongwoon doesn’t do anything to help them understand their relationship, nothing is going to change no matter how long stay hidden under Junhyung’s care.
 
“He is just running away! This is not going to work if he doesn’t do anything! They will never understand!”
 
Muffled screams could be heard from inside the room.
 
“They are too stubborn to understand anything! And before I can even convince them, I will be locked up again!”
 
“That’s why you need to use the chance to talk to them properly and let them understand that it is wrong to lock you up and they have to accept you for who you are! It’s not a one sided work!”
 
“I’m not going to throw myself back into that hell!”
 
Gikwang gave up on talking. He swung his hands up in defeat and walked away.
 
“G-gikwang!”
 
Hyunseung shouted, but Gikwang didn’t stop walking away. Hyunseung looked at Junhyung with a “what-should-we-do-now” look. Junhyung instructed for Namji to follow Hyunseung along to find Gikwang so that he wouldn’t get lost.
 
“Please help me talk to Gikwang. I will talk to Dongwoon.”
 
“I-I will try.”
 
“Thanks, Baby.”
 
Hyunseung and Namji then walked away to find Gikwang.
 
Junhyung gestured one of his staff to unlock Dongwoon’s room door so that he could get in. Dongwoon was sitting on the bed facing the huge glass window. The staff closed the door after Junhyung had got in. Junhyung sat down beside Dongwoon, silence filled the room for a moment until the latter spoke.
 
“I don’t know what to do, hyung.”
 
Dongwoon slouched his back and kept his hands between his legs. Junhyung patted him on the back with an encouraging smile.
 
“You have to be strong, Dongwoon-ah. Because it is not only you who is suffering right now, Gikwang is suffering with you too.”
 
“I know… He could have broke up with me and have someone else who wouldn’t have so much trouble. He could have found someone who loves him more than I do… But I really don’t know how to deal with my parents…”
 
“Dongwoon-ah, learn from Gikwang. You know that he talked with his parents and they accept who he was. It may be because they are more broadminded, but it still took him that huge courage and bravery to face his parents and the chances of them reacting like your parents as the same. But he was strong enough to face it, but you aren’t. You just kept running away.”
 
Dongwoon didn’t want to admit it, but he knows that he was running away. But what else could he have done? He had never went against his parents’ wishes since he was born. 
 
“…”
 
“Don’t forget that it was not an obligation for him to stay here with you. He did it, because it was you. You know I would always welcome you to stay here as long as you like. But you can’t be staying here for the rest of your life. You have to get through your parents if you want to have a future with him.”
 
“I understand hyung…”
 
Junhyung gave Dongwoon another pat on the back as both of them looked out towards the gardens.
 
“I hope Hyunseung did catch up with Gikwang…”
 
After running after Gikwang, both Hyunseung and Namji looked around to find him. Namji finally spotted him sitting at a bench under the tree in the gardens. Namji pointed out where was Gikwang and Hyunseung slowly approached him.
 
“Hi Gikwang.”
 
Gikwang looked up and was surprised to see Hyunseung. He didn’t noticed that Hyunseung came over. He stood up and bowed to Hyunseung. It was the first time two of them met privately and even talked.
 
“Hey… came over to find Junhyung?”
 
Hyunseung bowed back and sat on the spot beside where Gikwang sat. He motioned for Gikwang to sit back down too.
 
“Came over to visit you and Dongwoon.”
 
“E-eh?”
 
“Dongwoon is someone really important to Junhyung. Hearing what happened… I just wanted to show my concern.”
 
“That is something new coming from the ice prince from school.”
 
Gikwang showed his eye smile to Hyunseung, but Hyunseung looked down on his shoes while kicking the soil.
 
“…”
 
“A-ah! I don’t mean it in a bad way! I’m sorry!”
 
Gikwang waved his hands around.
 
“Uh uh, its okay. I just didn’t like the people in school anyway. I feel more like myself when I’m out of that place…”
 
“Oh…”
 
When Gikwang look at Hyunseung, he could only think of how much Junhyung has did to change him. Hyunseung used to not have any smile on his face and he had a dark aura beside him that even people walking around him felt scared. But that aura seem to have disappeared, he just looked like a kid that couldn’t express himself well with expressions.
 
“Junhyung changed you.”
 
“D-deh?”
 
“You changed so much, love really has the power, huh.”
 
“Love is the strength for you to carry on too, no?”
 
Gikwang sighed, “Yeah… I wouldn’t have came so far if not for my love for Dongwoon. But I really don’t know how to carry on now…”
 
“Gikwang, face it together with Dongwoon. Don’t make him feel like he is doing this alone.”
 
Gikwang turned to look into Hyunseung’s eyes.
 
“I got out from where I was because of Junhyung. He pulled me out and walked with me, letting me know that I will not be alone because he will be there to give me a hand when I fall or offer me his shoulder when I’m tired.”
 
“But I don’t know if I’m strong enough to pull him up.”
 
“You wouldn’t know if you don’t try. Face it together, that’s what lovers do. Be there for him when he needs and seek for him when you need him.”
 
Hyunseung pulled his legs up to his chest and leaned back on the bench. He gave Gikwang an soft smile. Gikwang leaned back too with his arms around his chest and look up to the house.
 
“I hope we will pull through this…”
 
“You will if you are willing to be together with him till the end, trust me.”
 
Gikwang smiled at the thought of being able to go through this with Dongwoon. They needed each other and they couldn’t be without each other.
 
“Yes, we will pull through this together. Dongwoon-ah, let’s go through this together.”