Ch. 2 Because you're here

Angel of Death

Angel of Death Ch 2.  Because you're here

               I woke up sluggishly to a dimly lit room, the poor lighting caused my vision to be hazy, and I saw a figure hover over me pacing a warm towel over my head. His touch was gentle. I narrowed my eyes to try to adjust my vision better. The figure was Kim Myungsoo, my failed target. I couldn't comprehend fully what the situation right now was. My target sitting at the bedside look at me with caring eyes, and a worried expression.

               "You're awake."

               I remain silent still unsure of what to do. There isn't any cases where humans can see us until now, so I really hope staying silent was the best solution to keep the situation less complicated. I tried to get up from the bed but found no strength within me to do so. Somehow my body seem to weigh a ton.

               "You saved me right? I don't know what happened after I had my episode, it's all hazy, but I know you saved me." Myungsoo said in a gentle tone. "Who are you? Are you a fan? Sorry I didn't take you to the hospital, if the company or anyone saw me there would be a lot of troubles with Paparazzi..."

               I shook my head still trying to get up from my position. He helped me up to rest my back against the headboard.

               " I don't know what happened but did we get drunk together or something? Usually, I don't get drunk that easily, but I don't seem to remember how we met."

               I didn't know how to answer all his questions right now, or if I should even tell him the truth that no, " I'm actually an Angel of Death sent to kill you, and I've been stalking you for three days now." I thought secretly.

               "You don't like to talk huh..." He concluded, " I guess then it's better for me hehe...you can't tell people about what happened, or what I tried to do." He said sadly.

               I shook my head at him.

               "Now that you're up, I guess I should send you home, your family must be worried about you...hold on I'll call a cab" He said getting up. I took hold of his hand swiftly.

               "NO, don't do that." I said abruptly surprising him.

               "...You do speak."

               "Yes, I do. Please don't call a cab, I don't have anywhere to go anyways." I said without realizing how it sounded. I didn't intend to sound so desperate, as if I'm begging to stay.

               "You don't have a family?" Myungsoo questioned.

               I shook my head sadly, thoughts of Sungjong and my other Angel friends in Heaven came flooding in my head. I can't go back now, not after what I did.

               "They...are really far from here." I said slowly. Myungsoo looked at me sympathetically, and sat down on the bed again.

               "You, can stay here then, until you can go back." He said, it seems he didn't want to invade my privacy and asked more questions.

               "Thanks." I said.

               "I'm really hoping you're not secretly a sasaeng fan...I really like you." He said giving me a small smile before leaving me alone in the room.

               Myungsoo bid me goodbye, he had another show booked by noon, so he trusted me to stay at his house. Before leaving he asked me kindly if I would not leave the house until night if I needed to leave because there might be fans or paparazzi lurking about, and he can't afford another scandal to hit headlines again. I nodded in agreement to him, little does he know an Angel can travel unnoticed, or so I thought. I desperately needed to get back to work. There was already much imbalance for sparing Myungsoo. I'm sure if I don't get back on track "they" are bound to find out what I had done, and soon there will be no time to hide him, or runaway. If I could get back to "work" efficiently there is a chance they won't notice a soul is missing from the list.

               The moment he left the house I took out my equipment. My Death Clock and my Reaper's List. I had been asleep for one and a half days. The Death Clock was stuck on 12 A.M. The time when Myungsoo was suppose to die making it hard for me. The Death Clock doesn't just tell the time of death for targets, but it's also our travel device. It was developed by an Angel of Wisdom during 07 B.G.C the 7th Century before Genesis, to help make travel easier for angels, apparently before that they needed to physically fly everywhere which was a little bit time "consuming" in Heaven standards. I checked the Reaper's List, to my luck there was still time left to reach the next target, but unfortunately he lived 130 miles away from Myungsoo, and he was suppose to die tonight. This gives me very little time to study the target.

               Night time fell when I got to the target's location. My target is an older man who lived in sin of greed most his life this was a bit tricky for me. That means won't be going to the light, I would have to guide him to Hell, and I would have to make the transaction with the Hell angels. I can't say heaven and hell are on friendly terms with one another, but there was a mutual agreement to keep order, making Hell angels furious that they can't wreck havoc. They are tricky sinister creatures that given the chance would jump to foul play if they can sense weakness, right now I was not in  good enough condition to negotiate business with them.

               The target was at his deathbed when I came to collect him. Like usual I placed a hand on his head draining his soul out. The dark energy emits from his head into my hand through black misty smoke. My body was still sluggish, and heavy. I turn to exit the target's home to find myself inches away from being hit by a dark energy ball. I look up to meet a pair of black orbs staring at me from above with a sinister smile. Dark blood oozed from his jaws revealing sharp blackened teeth. He hovered back and forth above me with raven black wings, his complexion was pale grey with purple, black, and blue veins marking his face.

               "Deeathhhh...its niceeezzz to see you sszzzz." He hissed, his long tongue drew out like a hideous snake, the demon smiled at me. "You've gotzzz the trade?" He hissed again.

               Without saying a word I reached out my hand to hand him the soul. He grabbed it hungrily and for a second my fingers touched his. I quickly draw my hand away from the touch. His smile grew making his mouth curve wider upwards.

               "zzzzzzssthere izzz something different about zzyou..." The demon said, "....zzzyour soul...izzs changing zzzslowly...."

               "Shut up and get onto your business before I pulverize you into mist!" I snapped at him. He stared at me with interests for half a minute before leaving. Giving me a smile before breaking into hysterically sinister laughter.

               I had never found flying so draining before, after I flew back to Myungsoo's home. I really had nowhere else to go. I can't go look for at this time since I used up all my remaining energy in flying. I collapsed on the balcony upon arrival, feeling my knees hit the hard surface. His screen and door wasn't lock so I made my way in limping from tiredness. I guess Myungsoo must've heard me because I heard footsteps making its way into the room.

               "Where the hell were you!?" Myungsoo yelled at me, " I told you not to leave without notice!"

               "Sorry...I had some business to take care of." I said without caring to look at him. I found myself loosing balance again, but instead of falling I felt a pair of strong arms holding me up.

               "Careful..." Myungsoo said while holding onto my waist. "...sorry I yelled at you, I just panicked when I came home with no one there."

               There was  silence between us for a few minutes until Myungsoo perked up again.

               "Wait....how the hell did you climb up here through the balcony..."Myungsoo said in confusion.

               "...the emergency latter..." I said making up a lame excuse.

               "...I'm live on the sixth floor..."

               "Nevermind that ...I'm really tired,..let's just call it a night." I said to him, avoiding the subject. He nodded hesitantly before going towards the closet to fetch me some PJs and necessities. I really didn't think I need it, but he still think I'm human, so I might as well humor him.

               " I prepared a room for you, I hope it's not to cramp. It's only me here, so I used the extra rooms as storage."

               "It's ok, thank you for your hospitality."

               I woke up in the middle of the night to hear the sound of soft sobbing from the next room. It was Myungsoo, once again he had a bottle of wine in hand. I found him sitting on the floor beside his bed between drinks and sob. I noticed his knuckles were bleeding. I looked to see the mirror had cracked into several pieces. I approached him quietly, stood beside him, and his head. I forgot that he can actually feel me this time when he grabbed my hand.

               "I...know it's ungrateful for me to be this way...after all your efforts to save me, but...I can't help but feel this way..."

               I stayed silent listening to him talk on.

               "...they...they're canceling all my promotions at the moment...and that girl...she's suing for 2 million...my parents...are threatening to sell my personal info...if I don't give them money within the next week...I use to dream...being a singer...and being famous...but..now that I think about it...is it all worth it?..with...all this crap going on...why....why...is life so hard...?"

               "....I don't know." I said to him. I really can't don't have an answer to why all this is happening to him, but I desperately want to stay beside him right now.

               "hehehm...I'm pathetic aren't I?" He said taking another sip of his drink.

               "No"

               "hmph...thanks." He chuckled giving me a smile. " It's strange, I've never talk to anyone before when I'm like this, but just you being here makes things less painful."

               "I was hoping that if I die maybe...things will get better...but...dying is harder than I thought..." He said with a hint of strong will in his voice. I could feel he wasn't as suicidal as before. "Even...now I still have hope that things can get better...I think...it's because you're here..."

               "...I'm glad you are able to think that way." I said sadly thinking about the irony of the situation. 'He is glad that death is here?' If this doesn't go down to history's most irony situations then I don't know what can. There was a small prang in my heart as he said those last words to me. ' ...Because you're here...' yes those words mean a lot to me right now.  

               "hmm" He gave me a small smile. I found myself dozing off on his shoulders.

               When I woke up I found us leaning against the wall I still had my head on his shoulders. It's really weird that we're like this, I never felt so much comfort in being around a human before, even in my past life. We sat there in, him asleep, and I resting my head on his shoulders. I saw that it was nighttime already, and for some reason the moon light was a beautiful fluorescent blue hue tonight. Just for a moment I'd like to not do anything, or think about anything, and enjoy his company for a little longer. I know soon they'll find me, but for now I was content at this small bit of happiness.

               As expected happiness didn't last long. The next day Myungsoo had gotten sick, so I let him stay in bed while I went out and about on my daily duties. My wings seem to lost its ability to fly by 40%, It was quite painful. I look at my reflection in the glass to see my feathers withering badly, and the colors had gone a light shade of grey, not to mention I was shedding badly. I decided I can't hold on any longer, I needed to seek out Sungjong for assistance.

               I stood on the roof top waiting for Sungjong as usual hoping he'll show up, and like I had expected he did show. When I saw him, he came rushing over to me.

               "HYUNG! I looked all over for you...I couldn't sense you! Do you know Heaven is in a mess right now? We have orders...of your arrest!" Sungjong lectured me. " Everything is in a scramble...up there...they've already summon the Judgement Angels to go after you!"

               I didn't face him, because I knew once he had a full look at me he'll know right away. Sungjong took a closer step towards me, and turn me to face him.

               "Hyung!" He called out to me again. I looked at him sorrowfully, and slowly revealing my wings to him.

               "I need your help Sungjong..."

               "Hyung! Where have you been?!" He said taking a good look at me then look at my wings, "....G..Grey...Y...your feathers....they're tainted..."

               "Sungjong-ah listen to me...I need...you...to do something for me...I...can't last long...like this...I need you to go to heaven...and get something for me."

               "Hyung..." Sungjong said in worry, knowing full well what I was going to ask of him.

               "I...need you to steal the holy elixir for me..."

               "Hyung...but...that's only temporary...You've broke the rules, it won't last for long..."

               "Still...I need you to get it for me."

               "It's not gonna work for long...it can only sustain..for a short....Hyung! A..are you like this...because you save that human?!"

               I keep quiet not answering his questions, but I knew Sungjong would help me regardless.

               "It's that human isn't it...you've been gone for so long...things are a mess on your end...and...he ..he was the last person on your list before the mess happened...A..are you in love with that human?...Hyung...What did you do?" Sungjong shook me by the shoulders trying to get some answers.

               "....J..Just don't ask me anymore...Sungjong...please...just help me...do this..."

               "Hyung...you know even if I get you the Elixir...if you're not careful...you'll turn into dust...or ...worst...a lost soul that wonders...between heaven and hell...never able to return anywhere...and...that human...you...can't hide him from the Counsel...forever." Sungjong looked at me sternly in the eyes, half worried, and warning me.

               "I...know...but...I have to try...I...Sorry Sungjong..."

               We ended our conversation there, and all there is to do is to just trust Sungjong. I know he'll follow through, now I have to get back to Myungsoo.