Attempt One: Happy Hands

Of Fried Chicken and Nonexistent Dance Battles

Jongin stretched, feeling the satisfying soreness that accompanied a long day of training and dancing. His shirt was soaked through, he probably stunk even worse than Chanyeol's sneakers (and those you could smell from across the room), and his hair was all matted on his face, but all in all it had been a great day.

 

He struck a pose and admired himself in the mirror. Sure, his body wasn't anything to brag about, but repetitive movements had gradually molded shapely muscles all over. He smirked. Unlike a certain hyung of his, he would never be mistaken as a girl.

 

Speaking of said hyung, Jongin wondered what Taemin was up to. The day was still young after all, and despite his aching limbs, Jongin was always up for a *dance battle*. He was positive he would win today because hey, anybody with eyes could see that he was better. As he pushed the speed dial on his phone, Jongin mentally ran through a list of potential judges. Any stylist or makeup noonas were ruled out immediately because they always squealed the moment Taemin walked, gushing over how adorable he was (and here, Jongin gagged a bit). The dance instructors had grown fed up and now refused to decide at all, yelling at them to "figure it out yourself."

 

That left only the other trainees, ones that weren't already fans of Shinee and Taemin in particular. Which was kind of hard to find. Jongin narrowed it down to one, and he let out a triumphant yelp as the phone went into Taemin's nonexistent answering machine.

 

"Feeling pleased with yourself?" He whipped around, but in a calm and non-startled manner because Jongin was never startled. It was Taemin, leaning against the doorframe, beaming like the afternoon sun on a summer day. Jongin stared. Hard. Had there been a blackout, he was pretty certain the room would have remained illuminated by the sheer dazzling luminosity that was Taemin's face. It was as if the entire chromosphere had been concentrated in those radiant eyes, those luscious lips…

 

He collected himself, clearing his throat. "Just finished practicing, Taeminnie. Perfected my routine."

 

"Ah, good good. How does some food sound?"

 

No, not good, thought Jongin. Taemin was trying to subvert the *dance battle* by appealing to Jongin's stomach. Well, he wouldn't get away with it.

 

"Let's have a dance-"

 

"Oh, Kibum-hyung mentioned that there's a new barbeque place that opened up nearby. Although Jinki-hyung says that it isn't as good as the Dubu's fried chicken which is only a block away…"

 

"Actually, I think we should-"

 

Taemin clapped his hands. "Fried chicken it is. Kibum's tastes have always been a bit questionable. Last time I went along with his recommendation, I ended up at some strange bar that served really strong drinks. And there was so many guys there who kept coming up to dance next to me. It was kind of weird." He thought for a moment before brightening. "Oh well, no harm done."

 

*Dance battle*. *Dance baatttllleee*. Jongin tried using his amazing mind-control skill to distract Taemin, but the other was already walking away.

 

Two steps later, and Taemin stopped abruptly, causing Jongin to run straight into him. "Man, Jongin, you smell."

 

"That why I think we should first have our *dance ba-"

 

"I know! Kibum-hyung also told me about a hot tub place where you can freshen up. It's on the way too. Come on, let's go!"

 

Jongin sighed and pondered the possibility that Taemin's brain had been replaced by a brick, because come on, who wouldn't want fried chicken a *dance battle*? Defeated, he followed the chattering Taemin, who had now moved onto discussing the colors of the rainbow (Does indigo count? If it did, why doesn't lime green?)

 

Happy Hands Hot Tub.

 

"This is it!" exclaimed Taemin, dragging Jongin along. "This place."

 

"I don't think-"

 

"Two please!"

 

The owner led handed them a single key and two towels before leading them down a narrow hallway and gesturing at a door. Taemin grinned excitedly as he opened it. "Wow, this place is so-"

 

"-seedy?"

 

"-interesting!"

 

The door opened to reveal a rather small room with a small hot tub and a small bed and a small box of tissue on the ground. Jongin surveyed the space with dismay. Would they be able to have a *dance battle* in such close proximity to each other? He was about to propose that they tried, but then he looked up.

 

There Taemin stood, illuminated by that special glow that seemed to follow him wherever he went. He was lifting his shirt to reveal well-sculpted abs (Jongin made a mental note to compare it to his own the next time he had a mirror) and an impeccably defined chest. Jongin couldn't help it. He gaped. How did a simple t-shirt hide so much? Morever, how come he didn't have such toned muscles? They practically did everything the same!

 

Then Taemin began loosening his belt, and Jongin felt his insides melt a little. Such pale, smooth skin. It shimmered in the dim lighting of the room, disturbingly reminiscent of a teenage vampire Jongin had (cough) heard about (because of course he never read such sappy romances). He held his breath as the pants came down, slowly, inch by inch…

 

"You aren't changing?" asked Taemin, snapping Jongin back to reality so hard he felt the whiplash.

 

"I-uh, am contemplating, uh-"

 

"Well, don't be too long." And then everything came off into a pile.

 

Jongin couldn't take it. His eyes shut themselves to stop him from being blinded by that radiance cast into every corner of the room. How breathtaking, how wonderous...this must be what it felt like to become a man. In that instance, Jongin felt the metamorphosis take ahold of him, lifting him up and tearing him open to reveal a effervescent creature spreading its wings. He pried an eyelid open to witness the sensual motions of Taemin flipping his hair, his teeth gleaming from between moist lips. Jongin leaned in closer, closer, towards that warmth…

 

Splash.

 

"Uh...Jonginnie?"

 

Jongin took a deep breath and realized that instead of air, water rushed into his nostrils. He surfaced, choking, spitting. And then he glanced down to see himself half submerged, clothes and all, as Taemin quizzically examined his face. Squeaking, Jongin jumped up out of the water and retreated to the corner.

 

"Jonginnie? You okay?"

 

"I'm clean let's go get fried chicken instead okay," he said, all in one breath. Taemin hummed in agreement and re-dressed as Jongin used both towels to dry himself, refusing to stare because oh god, that beautiful body was exposed once more.

 

They walked together, one cheerfully skipping along, the other stalking behind him. Next time, thought Jongin darkly, watching as Taemin paused to take in the sweet smell of roses as they passed by a flower stand. I will have my *dance battle* yet.