The 11933 Story

The 11933 Story

You’re a vocal teacher in a music school. You got promoted to be the head teacher for the next school year. To congratulate your promotion, your parents decided to have a vacation where you have always wanted to go. While the rest of your family are busy to get ready, you are the only one who’s not doing anything because you already packed your things the night before. You keep reminding them to set their alarm 2 hours before you leave so you won’t be late for the flight.

 

Your family just woke up on time and went to the airport just in time. Everything just comes in the right place. Everything is just perfect.

 

***

 

The word fate is happening to your parents. After 25 years, your parents met their long-lost friends. The resort you were staying was your parents’ friend’s resort. As you expected, everything is going well. They talked and started reminiscing their memories together when they were young. Guess what? You are all alone but it’s okay, as long as there’s wifi. You went to your designated room and you left your parents talking with their long-lost-friends. You organized your luggage and your bed. All are set, you just need to grab your earphones and lie on the bed. You went to your phone settings to connect with the wifi but sadly, there’s no wifi in the room. Do you know what more ? You fully used your data. The only place you can connect on the wifi is in the lounge of the resort. As what you said, “As long as there’s wifi”, you went there to stay away from being social. You choose the most comfortable chair you thought the most comfortable. You wear your earphones and ready to hug your own world. You repeat the actions you did before to connect for the wifi. Your smile turns into a frown as you see the padlock sign beside the wifi signal. What are you doing now? You thought it’s the end of the world. But you don’t just give up to that little padlock sign, you wanted to ask the receptionist for the password on the reception table.

 

The receptionist looks like a 5 year old boy and you thought he’s cute and manly at the same time.

 

“Excuse me” you said sweetly.

 

“Yes?” the tone of his voice was so deep and can make you fall in love with his voice.

 

“Ah… uhmm… I want to ask what the wifi password is.” you stuttered.

 

He wrote the password on a piece of paper and gave it to you. You were star struck and your feet didn’t let you move. From nowhere you bursted a good-but-awkward question, “How long have you been working here?”

 

“I don’t work here, just wandering around.”

 

You are confused why he knew the password if he doesn’t work here and your brain have all these questions only he can answer. But to end this awkward conversation you just nod your head and leave. You went back to your seat and punch in the password. After three hours. Your parents called you and asked where you are and ask you to meet at the garden.

 

“Shoot! Where the heck is the garden?” you thought inside of your head. You went to the reception area to ask for direction and the same guy from before was there again.

 

“Excuse me” you said.

 

“You again?” he asked.

 

“Do you know where the garden is?”

 

“Why are you asking me that? Do you think I work here?” and gave you a cold look.

 

You apologize and asked another staff beside him. The staff led you to the garden and saw your parents with their long-lost-friends. “This is my daughter”, your father said. You formally introduced yourself.

 

“Hello I’m Mrs. Kim and this is my husband, Mr. Kim” she points to her husband. “I bet you are the same age as my son. Can I call you my daughter-in-law?” she said jokingly.

 

“This escalated quickly” you whispered.

 

“Excuse me? Su… sure…” you said awkwardly and just smiled.

 

***

 

You couldn’t get away from the invitation of your parent’s long-lost-friend to have a dinner with your family. You dressed up formally and put some make-up on. You looked pretty and ready to get some boys out.

 

Your family went to the V.V.I.P. balcony of the resort to have dinner. The food was out of this world taste and every bite you take was like heaven. Few minutes before the dessert was served, you excused yourself. “I need to use the washroom for a minute, please excuse me.” 

 

As you are about to head back to your table, you met the same guy from before.

 

“You again?!” he said

 

You looked, you smiled and walked away.

 

Just before you sat down you heard Mr. Kim shouting “Minseok-ah! Come here and meet this beautiful girl!” and you were watching this familiar figure approaching your table and it turns out it’s the same guy from before, the “you again” guy. He sat down in front of you and he saw you and stared at you questionably. The puzzle you are trying to assemble is now complete. The question you made before is now answered. The guy who helped you is the son of your parent’s long-lost-friend, Kim Minseok.

 

“Hi, my name is Kim Minseok” he said softly.

 

“Nice name, I want your last name to be my daughter’s last name too.” your mom said to Mrs. Kim and they laugh. Both of you are not cool about it, both of you are disgusted.

 

“So, why don’t you guys go out for a walk?” Mrs. Kim said teasingly but you hesitated and said, “We better n--” and you felt a kick under the table. It was Minseok who are kicking you. You looked at him and he showed lets-get-out-of-here-face and you understood what he meant, “--not eat dessert and go for a walk now”, you continued.

 

You followed him in the garden and stayed quiet the whole time.

 

“As you can see we are in this awkward moment. But I want you to know it’s not because I want to be with you, it’s because I want to get out of there and sorry for kicking you” Minseok said.

 

You nodded your head and smiled.

 

“Really? Aren’t you gonna say anything? What’s your name by the way?” he asked and to respect him a little, you introduced yourself.

 

“Why are you having a trip here? Celebrating something?” he asked.

 

“Yes. Actually I got promoted to be the head teacher of my school.” you said as you hug yourself trying to get rid of the cold. He gave you his suit. You blushed a little but it wasn’t noticeable because you are wearing make-up. As you fix his jacket to your shoulders, you felt some paper tingling on your side of the stomach.

 

“So, you’re a teacher? Math teacher?” he said while you are grabbing the tingling paper. He saw you looking at it and suddenly grabs it from you. “Nope, don’t look at my music sheet!”

 

“I don’t teach math. I’m a music teacher, I teach voice lesson. You read music?”

 

“Yes I do read music! I’m a piano teacher.”

 

“Great! Is this destiny? Are you down to join some music composition for a cause?”

 

“WHAT?!”

 

“Write music for a cause. Kind of a charitable competition”

 

“Yes sure! I’m down!”

 

“Let’s move on. Not to be creeper but why are our parents together the whole time? I don’t get it.”

 

“Well, from what I know, we actually came here to celebrate my promotion but as we settle in, my parents saw your parents and I think they are friends back when they were still in university and distance separated them. After 25 years they met each other again” you explained.

 

“Oh I see, they are very good friends then? But hey, not to be assuming but I think your mom likes me for you. She wants my last name for you. She said that earlier” he said jokingly.

 

“I think your mom likes me for you too” you repeated. He looked confused.

 

“She asked me if I can be her daughter-in-law” you explained proudly and laugh shyly.

 

Both of you are getting what both of your parents were trying to do. Both of you were able to connect the dots. They are clearly setting you and Minseok up together. Both of you decided to ignore it and tried to change the topic to the competition you’re talking about.

 

“Wanna go to my piano room? Let’s talk about the competition” he asked gladly.

 

“My pleasure” you smiled.

 

He led you to his piano room and a black shimmering grand piano welcomed you as you walked in the room. You are in awe to see the grand piano and the vibe in the room was so comfortable and you got the feeling of wanting to teach your vocal lesson there forever.

 

“What kind of songs do you compose?” you asked him.

 

“I like making sad melodies and partnering it with a heart breaking lyrics. By the way, where will be this competition will be held?” he asked.

 

“In my hometown. I think we got a problem here” you replied in disappointment and look at him in the eyes. “My hometown is really far from here, we took an airplane to get here. I think it’s gonna be impossible for us to join the competition. I think I’m gonna join the competition by myself” you sighed.

 

“It’s summer vacation, I don’t have a class to teach. I can go to your hometown” he said cheerfully. You are confused because he doesn’t really need to but he’s solving the problems here.

 

You sat beside the window to have a night view of the beach and inhaled all the fresh night smell. While you are mesmerizing the romantic view, Minseok played a familiar song. It was not just some random heart-felt song but it was your favourite song of all time, it was 2AM’s “You wouldn’t answer my calls”. You stood up and walked slowly beside him. You looked at his precious hands playing along the white and black keys of the piano.

 

“Stop looking at my hands like that. You may fall in love with my hands” he said.

 

“Then can you stop playing that song?”

 

“Are some memories starting to pop out in your head while listening to this song?”

 

“What? No. That’s my favourite song of all songs in the world.”

 

Minseok gave you the music sheet and asked you to sing along but you refused to get the music sheet because you already how to sing it. He started to place his hands on position and starts playing every music notes on the sheet and placed every note on every piano key. You sang hurtfully to correspond to the song. Minseok was in awe while he is listening to your voice. The song comes to an end.

 

“Wow, your voice is amazing. I love your voice” he said in awe.

 

“Only my voice?” you pouted.

 

“Yes. Voice. Only voice. I think we are quits because you only love my hands.” 

 

“KIM MINSEOK!” Mr. Kim shouted

 

Both of you were startled and looked at the direction where you heard the shout.

 

“Dad! You don’t need to shout. I’m not deaf.”

 

Both of your parents are standing outside your piano room and whispering to each other. Mrs. Kim asked the both of you to stand away from the piano and asked to grab them a seat in the room.

 

“We would like to say something for the both of you” Mr. Kim said.

 

Minseok cut his father from continuing what they are trying to say. He opens up the plan of planning to join the competition.

 

“Mom, we want to join a music composing competition for a cause. But the problem is the competition is in their hometown” he asked for permission to go.

 

“My baby, I don’t see any problem there. You can just go, don’t worry and just go.”

 

“But I don’t have a place to g--”

 

Mrs. Kim cut him, “I will take care of it.”

 

***

 

Minseok was trying to compose a song while he felt a shortness of breath. He rubbed his chest because of the pain. The pain did not you go away as quickly as he thought, he cannot breath properly and his left hand was on the piano and pressing unpleasant melodies. His father heard the unusual sound from Minseok’s piano room. Mr. Kim head to Minseok’s room and saw him having a hard time breathing and in pain. Mr. Kim immediately calls 911 and hurriedly calls his wife and hugs him to ease the pain.

 

***

 

Your family went out and enjoyed the vacation. Your mom kept on asking where Mrs. Kim was, your dad kept on looking for Mr. Kim and you told them to keep them aside for a moment and enjoy your time together.

 

One week had passed and it is time to go back to the reality. To your reality. You are not satisfied to just leave because of your unfinished conversation with Minseok about the competition. You tried to look for him but you cannot find him. He’s not in the reception area where you first saw him. He’s not in the garden where both of you talked. He’s not in his piano room where he relaxed and expressed his feelings through playing. He is nowhere to be seen. Not only him, but his entire family are nowhere to be seen. Even though your family wanted to bid goodbye, you were unable to. Your parents contacted them but they’re not picking up the phone.

 

“I guess we should now go” your father said.

 

***

 

After a week from your vacation, you received a call from the coordinator of the competition.

 

“Hello?” you picked up your phone.

 

“Hello, this is the coordinator of the competition. I just wanted to remind you that the competition is in 2 weeks. I just wanted to confirm if you’re still joining.”

 

“Yes, I’m still joining. But is it okay if I have a partner?”

 

“Yes, even if it’s a group it’s okay. We just need to know how many pairs are joining. Just come here on time and be prepared.”

 

You are unsure if Minseok is still joining or you’re just joining by yourself. You set aside this thought and blast your favourite music of your favourite group, “You wouldn’t answer my calls” by 2AM. Every word of the song was killing all the happy vibe, you are singing all along and a tear streams down your face. You sang loudly and didn’t realize your mom was standing in front of your room, you didn’t hear her knock because the music is just too loud.

 

“Mom! What are you doing here?” you said in annoyance while wiping your tears.

 

“You cried over to that song again? Go downstairs and I have a surprise for you.”

 

You hurriedly go downstairs to see your mom’s surprise. You love surprises.

 

“Hi! Why are you in a hurry? Is that how you miss me?” he said jokingly.

 

You are surprised and speechless because it happened too sudden. You didn’t expect this to happen. Well, you expected this to happen but not this quick.  You didn’t expect Minseok to come here without any notice. Yes, it was Minseok.

 

“Did I surprise you?”

 

“Wh-why? Ho-how?”

 

Both of your parents talked beforehand and your parents let Minseok to temporarily live to your house.

 

“Well, where’s the piano?”

 

“It’s in my room. Don’t tell me we are going to practice there? Nope you can’t enter.”

 

“Well, I think I need to go back to my house. Thank you for welcoming me anyways.” he said teasingly and smirked.

 

The one thing you really hate is people entering your own room.

 

“For music’s sake. Okay. Follow me, my room is there, upstairs.”

 

You lead the way and when you open the door, the loud music welcomed the both of you. You didn’t turn off the music you were blasting before your mom called you.

 

“I bet you really like that song” Minseok laughed.

 

“Don’t laugh or else you’re not welcome to enter” you glared.

 

Your piano is not as big and shiny as his. Your piano is an old upright piano. You felt sorry to Minseok because he will compose in this crappy old piano you have.

 

“Don’t feel sorry. You need a piano but you don’t need new or expensive piano to compose a song. You need your fingers, your mind, and specially your heart. Expensive piano is just an accessory” he said confidently and you are jaw dropped to hear that from a professional pianist.

 

“And if the pianist is Kim Minseok, it will surely be awesome” he added.

 

“Did you just praise yourself?”

 

He started to play sad melodies that can make your heart shattered. He looked at you asked if the melody is good enough.

 

“It’s more than enough. Congratulations, you successfully broke my heart. That is so sad. I better write the lyrics now. We only have 2 weeks to compose, we better hurry and practice.”

 

“We shouldn’t hurry, you know why? Because you cannot rush perfection” he smiled.

 

Your mom called the both of you to eat. It was only the both of you in the dining table, your mom left and does some cleaning.  The only thing you can hear is the clanging of utensils.

 

“As you can see, we are in this awkward moment again” he laughed.

 

“Can I ask you something?” you asked.

 

“Sure, what is it?”

 

“Do you remember when we went to your resort? The day after we met, we are unable to meet your family again. Did something happen? If something personal happened, you don’t need to tell me. I understand.”

 

“Oh that. Sorry. I got sick and I’m in the hospital and my parents took care of me. My dad already told your parents about that. I guess they didn’t tell you that.”

 

After he finished eating he asked you where will be his room. You brought him to the guest room. He asked you to leave him for a minute and you told him to just go to your room when he’s ready to compose.

 

He knocked but no answer. He knocked again but still no answer. He opened the door because he doesn’t have enough patience to wait. He saw you looking outside your window beside the piano. You felt a movement behind you and look.

 

“WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING IN HERE? AREN’T YOU SUPPOSED TO KNOCK FIRST? DON’T YOU KNOW THE WORD RESPECT?” you shouted angrily.

 

“Why the heck are you shouting? You said to come into your room after I’m done. Excuse me, I knocked ten thousand times already but you didn’t open the door. I don’t have any patience for that.”

 

He sat beside you and you are just looking outside your window and don’t give any care about him. You know he’s beside you but you can’t feel any movement from him. You heard a soft sniffling from him.

 

“Does love exist?”

 

“Wh- wha- whaaat?” you stuttered and looked at him, you saw him crying

 

“Why are you crying? Sorry for shouting. I didn’t mean it.”

 

“Is my love real or am I just fooling myself?”

 

“What? I don’t understand” you patted his back and told him it’s okay and you’re there for him.

 

“Can you tell me what happened?”

 

“I realized that I don’t love my girlfriend anymore. Each day my love for her is fading like a transition and I cannot stop myself feeling that way. I called her and I told her that this is all I can give and this is the end. Actually, the other reason why I am here is because I want to realize if I will miss her when I don’t see her. But I haven’t spent a day here and I realize that I don’t love her anymore” he tried to compose himself.

 

“But why are you the one crying?”

 

“It still hurts you know” he laughed while a single tear fell from his eyes.

 

“Do you need space? Do you need to go back to your room? I understand. What do you want?”

 

“I want this pain to fade as soon as possible. This pain isn’t about leaving her. This is the pain of feeling guilty because I broke my promises, promises like we will be forever and take care of her until we die. All of that was useless. All the time we spent time together was useless. Our relationship was useless.”

 

After a long hour of crying and comforting, you went to get him water. Just before you enter your room, you overheard him playing the piano. You stopped and listen. You felt his pain through the music he is playing. After you hear silence, you entered your room.

 

“I overheard the piece you just played. I was heartbroken. Is that your original piece?”

 

“You can say that way. I’m playing on the spot right now.”

 

***

 

There is reason for everything. There is reason why Minseok is in your house. It is not just because of the competition but also for something. Minseok went to your house with a thought of joining the competition, but his parents don’t think that way. The reason why his parents let him go to your hometown and your parents let him stay in your house because of one thing.

 

 

 

 

 

Arranged marriage.

 

Yes, an arranged marriage.

 

Both of your parents talk about this when you went on their resort for a vacation. The arranged marriage is not because of the business thing but because they wanted their children to marry a good partner. They thought that you and Minseok are the ones they want to describe to as “good partner”.

 

***

 

While your family and Minseok were watching television after dinner, your dad asks Minseok to video call his parents. He called and placed his tablet in stable position.

 

“Mom! I’m here! Can you hear me?” Minseok said happily.

 

“Yes, my son. I can hear you.”

 

“MINSEOK-AHHHHHH!” his father shouted in joyfulness.

 

Your mom turned off the television and looked serious.

 

“We need to talk” your mom said in deep voice and sat beside you.

 

“Minseok-ah, do you know why you’re there? It is not for the competition, it is because I want you to meet and live temporarily with your future wife,” his dad said jokingly but seriously.

 

“WHHAAATTT!” he shouted.

 

“MOM, DAD! WHAT IS THIS?” you shouted

 

“We want the both of you to get married.”

 

“NO” was the only word Minseok answered and excused himself to go to his bedroom.

 

You didn’t think it’s a bad idea because you’re cool about it. It’s okay to let your parents have you in an arranged marriage because you’re in the right age, you don’t have a boyfriend and most important, you don’t love someone.

 

***

 

After 5 days, still without talking about the arranged marriage thing, Minseok finished composing and he recorded the melody. He called you to listen to the final piece and you were overwhelmed of the sad melody. You don’t have any idea how to coordinate good lyrics to it.

 

“This is too sad. I don’t know what sad lyrics to partner this melody,” you said feeling lots of worries.

 

“Haven’t you experienced break ups?”

 

“Well it’s not that depressing, okay give me time and I’ll write. Can you leave me alone?” and he gave you the recorded piece.

 

You are in front of the piano with a pencil on your hand but it’s not moving. The melody is sad so you decided to incorporate that with break up lyrics. Your brain isn’t functioning. You don’t know what to do. You don’t have any inspirations to look up to.

 

You decided to put yourself in someone else’s shoe. What will happen if a break up happens to you? What would you feel? What actions will you do? Will you let go of him or still hold on? All of these questions are circling your mind.

 

You played the recorder, “uhm... doesn’t mean I don’t know everything, doesn’t mean I don’t know the pain”, you sang while writing.

 

“Oh my goodness, BURNNN. That is incredibly sad. It hurts,” you are shocked because you can’t believe those words came out of your mouth, “How am I supposed to let you go? How will I live without you?” you added to your sheet while singing.

 

“I can’t let you go even if I die” he bursted from nowhere.

 

“What the heck? Don’t just open the door! You startled me! Why are you here?”

 

“I got nothing to do. I was in front of your door. You’re doing well my dear. I’m listening to you all along. Add that “I can’t let you go even if I die” to the lyrics, that’s pretty sad.”

 

“Why would I? I guess that lyrics don’t go well for you because you just left your girlfriend.”

 

“Shut your mouth, my dear. I’m not here to talk about that.”

 

***

 

You finished writing the lyrics and it fits well with the melody Minseok made. Both of you practiced until the day of the competition. An hour before the competition both of you were just practicing and making sure that your piece is pure and perfect.

 

Both of you were on the stage and getting ready to perform and ready to show all the audience what you and Minseok got. Both of you performed a perfect well-constructed piece. The sad love song left the audience and the judges in awe. It was perfect.

 

“Why did we join this competition again?”

 

“Money raised will be donated to the charity.”

 

“So even if we win, we don’t have any prize?”

 

“Yes, that’s why it’s called “for a cause” duh”

 

All the performers performed and the announcer called all of the participants. The time you have been waiting is happening now; the announcer will announce the winner. He grabbed your hand due to nervousness and you hold onto it tightly.

 

“And the winner is…” accompanied by a drumroll

 

“The ones who performed “I can’t let you go even if I die”, Congratulations!”

 

The both of you were shocked and you hugged him in excitement. He grabbed your hand and led the way to walk in front to grab the trophy. He said thank you and you were unable to say anything because you are overjoyed.

 

“But wait, there’s more! This is not the end. You joined without thinking of having a prize, but you are wrong! You thought it’s only a trophy? You’re wrong!” the announcer said happily.

 

“What?” you are shocked.

 

“We would like to appreciate your work and we want to give both of you a free ticket in a 2 days and 1 night trip!”

 

He received the envelope with the ticket inside. The event ended. All of you went down the stage. The coordinator asked for a minute to talk about the details of the trip.

 

***

 

Minseok woke up earlier than usual to get ready for the flight.

 

“Minseok, wake up my daughter. You’ll be late” your mom told him.

 

“Bu- but- she doesn’t want me to barge in her room. And I’m a guy” he stuttered.

 

“Come on, you’re getting married to her soon, go ahead it’s okay.”

 

“Sorry but I told you I won’t marry her” he said seriously but laughed.

 

“Just go, wake her up.”

 

He opened the door of your room and the lights. You are awakened by the sudden brightness.

 

“Who the heck! Why are you doing this to my life?” you said groggily with your blanket snugged on your head.

 

“I’m Kim Minseok; I’m doing this to your life because we are going to be late if you didn’t wake up right now” he said groggily to imitate you.

 

“Don’t copy me! Go away! I will prepare now! Go! Leave! I don’t need you here!” you said while you lay back down to your bed and snuggled your blanket to your body more tightly.

 

“Hey miss I did not sign up for your laziness, go hurry up! We will be late!” he shouted.

 

“YES! I TOLD YOU TO LEAVE FIRST! I WILL GET READY! AREN’T YOU GETTING OUT? WHY? DO YOU WANT TO SEE MY BODY AS I CHANGE? OH PLEASE! YOU ERT!” you shouted in annoyance and you snuggled on your blanket more tightly than before.

 

He loosed his temper and tried to grab your blanket but you hold tightly on it. He tried to release you from your tightly snuggled blanket. You hit him and attack him with your pillow to stop him but he kept pulling your blanket to get you out but you can’t hold on your blanket anymore because you’re a potato and can’t win against his strength. He successfully grabs your blanket and throws it on the ground.

 

“Give me back my blanket you ! My floor is dirty. My blanket will get dirty!” you said angrily.

 

He looked at you, “Get your blanket my dear,” he said teasingly.

 

You looked at him angrily and stood up and stumbled your feet on the ground while you’re walking to get your blanket. You didn’t break your eye contact to him until you reached and picked up your blanket and threw it back on your bed angrily. You thought he will leave you alone after you showed him that you’re angry. You faced the other way and he quickly holds onto your wrist to stop you from walking away and he pulled your shoulders close to him, holds your waist and picked up your legs; he carried you the bridal style. You hold onto his shoulders and you were speechless. Your face and his face were only thirty inches away from each other. His shining shimmering eyes, sharp nose, supple lips, smooth eyelid, perfect trimmed eyebrows, long straight eyelashes, and cheeks like a baby’s skin mesmerized you. He carried you all the way to the bathroom so you can shower and get ready.

 

After you took a shower, right before you take the last step on the stairs, you saw him in front of your door. He welcomed you with a smile but you gave a straight face instead.

 

“Mr. Minseok, get your existence out of here.”

 

“I’m here to get an apology from you.”

 

“What the heck are you saying? Why?”

 

“You need to say sorry for my body. You are very heavy.”

 

“Look who’s talking here! You’re the one who carried me. I didn’t ask you to do that. Excuse me, Mr. Kim Minseok, I need to get in my room and get ready.”

 

He stepped out of the way to let you in.

 

“Sorry” he whispered.

 

He said it while you walked inside of your room. You didn’t expect he will say that. You blush a little because you were touched. He went downstairs and your mom called him.

 

“Minseok, where are you going again?”

 

“The resort close to our resort.”

 

“You’re going to your resort’s competitor? That’s not pretty good. Do your parents know that you’re going there? I’m not absolutely happy about that.”

 

“Mr. Kim-Always-On-Time, let’s go. I’m prepared now. Let’s get going” you shouted and broke their conversation.

 

He dressed up too much but he was stunning. Your mother dropped the both of you at the airport. Both of you checked in and boarded the plane. He didn’t talk to you and you didn’t even try to talk to him either.

 

“Hello sir and ma’am, would you like some drink?” the stewardess asked you and Minseok

 

“2 orange juice please.”

 

“Green T--” he cut you “2 orange juice please” he said again to the stewardess and you glared at him.

 

“What the are you trying to do?”

 

“Because I love your face when you’re pissed” and he pinched your nose.

 

“PLEASE! Why am I with you? First, you love my voice and now my face. Thank you, my body is honoured” you said angrily but deep inside you’re in joy because he supposedly teases you but you like it.

 

Minseok grab the oranges juices from the stewardess and gave the one to you. You placed the orange juice on the table in front of you because you refuse to drink it; orange juice is bitter.

 

“Aren’t you drinking it?” he asked and you shake your head “Orange juice is heaven, try it!” he said before drinking the juice and then he choked.

 

“Oh my gosh! Be careful!” you said as you patted his back. “You are funny!” you continuously laughed at him.

 

“Don’t laugh. I can die from that! That was scary, I thought I’m gonna die” he said in nervousness and you apologized for laughing.

 

“I’m excited to go to your hometown again! I wanna see your parents again. I haven’t talked to them properly when we had our vacation there” you said while you’re busily playing with your phone but he calmly took your phone and placed it on the table and looked seriously, “Speaking of parents. That marriage thingy.  Remember?” you nodded your head and said “What about that?”

 

“I told you that I don’t wanna do it, right? It is not because I don’t like you, it’s just I don’t like to get married and be stuck with someone. I can disappear without any notice. I can leave you whenever I want. I don’t want to hurt you.”

 

“Did you just reject me again? Ouch!” you said jokingly. “It’s okay. I’m cool about that. Don’t worry. I understand.”

 

You didn’t pay much attention to the arranged marriage, whether you do it or not, it doesn’t matter. No one is courting or showing affection to you anyways at the moment.

 

“Do you want me to be your husband? Are you willing to live with me? Will you accept me for who I am? Are you willing to give your all to me? Can you love me?”

 

“Well, your words are just too deep Mr. Kim Minseok, I’m drowning.”

 

“If ever, will you marry me?”

 

“I don’t know but okay.”

 

“WHAT KIND OF ANSWER IS THAT?”

 

“Well, I don’t have any commitment right now. So, why not try to marry you?”

 

“So, you’re cool about that?”

 

“Marry you or not, it’s okay with me. I have nothing to do with my life anyways, I just need to teach my students and that’s it. If we do that marriage, we’ll just live in one roof, go to work and probably we won’t talk to each other. That’s how I imagine living with you. We can be just be married in papers but not married in our heart. You know what I mean? Just to please our parents are good enough.”

 

“Well I don’t think you and I want to live like that. I think it’s good decision we do not do the wedding.”

 

“Well, it’s gonna be your decision, I can marry you if you want” you laughed.

 

***

 

Minseok led the way from airport to the resort. You just followed him because you’re not familiar with the place. He stopped a taxi to go to the resort. On the way, he always shows off himself like he knows everything about his hometown. But after a few minutes of talking he became silent. You looked to the taxi’s window and appreciate the view once again and suddenly you remembered something.

 

“Minseok” you called him softly and he looked at you. “I don’t want to be a creeper but are you okay?”

 

“Okay about what?”

 

“Your girlfriend. I mean, your ex-girlfriend. Are you okay?” you hesitated.

 

“I’m okay… but…” he sighed. “…I don’t know how to face her when I meet her.”

 

You can see from his eyes that his tears are building up in his eyes. You looked away thinking he’s holding his tears because you’re there and he can cry. You can’t imagine that Minseok can be like this. He stayed quiet until you reached the resort.

 

Minseok walked to the reception area and inquire. He passed you your room key and asked you to follow him to get you in your place.

 

He points to room 326, “That’s your room” and he points to his room “This is my room” he said coldly while looking on the ground. You nodded and roll your luggage inside your room. You didn’t attempt to say any word because you can feel that he’s gonna explode any moment.

 

Well here we go again. Same old, same old. You arranged your things a bit and grab your phone to blast some music. There’s no wifi available in the resort but good thing, you still haven’t use your data! You updated your twitter, and watched a couple of episode the series you’re watching and finished twatching people on your twitter. You basically finished your online routine.

 

You were waiting for Minseok to call you. You thought he should tour you around as he live near here but he didn’t even show that he care about you. You don’t have any patience left to wait for him to tour you around and decided to walk errands by yourself instead. No much time left for 2 days and 1 night vacation. You wore your lace shorts along with a baggy top. You walked around and the breeze of the air is hugging you. Taking pictures on the places you walked on as a souvenir.

 

As you reached the end of the resort, you spotted a wine shop. You went inside to buy a wine for your dad. Your dad loves wine. The stronger, the better. Scanning every wine possible to find the best wine but you don’t know anything about wine. The lady asked you what kind of wine you’re looking for and you unsurely said, “Actually I don’t know, strongest wine probably?” and the lady led you to the strong wine aisle and explained the meaning behind the numbers on the wine. Of course, you grabbed the strongest one for your dad. You bought five; because the lady seduces you that it’s a really good wine. Beside the wine shop, there’s a boutique. You went inside and bought a decent amount of clothing for yourself and for your mom as souvenirs. While getting back on your room, “eureurong eureurong eureurong” it’s your tummy, your tummy growled. Where to eat? You didn’t see any restaurant in the resort while you’re walking. Minseok. Kim Minseok. Only Kim Minseok. He’s your only hope to survive in this place. But you didn’t dare to talk to him because you’re still embarrassed because you bring up his past relationship topic. You got back to your room and wait until a miracle happens and answer how can your loud stomach stop from shouting for food. Someone knocked on your door. You opened the door hoping it’s the miracle. Yes, you can call that the miracle. It was Minseok.

 

“Uhmm, sorry for not touring you around. I took a nap.”

 

“No, it’s okay. I already walked around.”

 

“Did you eat?”

 

“No, not yet. I don’t know where to eat.”

 

“Can I go in your room?”

 

“WHY THE HECK?”

 

“DON’T YOU WANT TO EAT?”

 

“ohhh… okay sorry, I want to eat. I’m starving.”

 

You let him in and sat on the living room. He gave you the menu he brought from his room. He asked you what you want and called room service. He ordered two dinner meal.

 

While you are waiting for the meal to come, you open up the topic about his ex-girlfriend again.

 

“Sorry for bringing up that topic before.”

 

“Why are you bringing up that again?”

 

“Nope, I’m not talking anymore. I just wanted to say sorry. That’s all. Okay. Change topic.” you changed the tone of your voice from fierce to soft. “Can I go to your parents before I leave? I just wanted to greet them.”

 

“Yes. Sure. Actually they’re waiting for you to drop by.”

 

The food came fast enough to satisfy your growling stomach. You thanked him and smiled slightly. You fired up the television to watch a movie in one of the channels. He excused himself to go to the washroom and when he gets back, he saw the wine you bought for your dad and brought it at the living room.

 

“Let’s drink.”

 

“Excuse me Mr. Kim, that’s for my dad.”

 

“Opppssss…” he said while opening the cork

 

“What the—where did you get that opener?”

 

“Beside the wine of course.”

 

You just let it go because even if you whine you cannot do anything anymore. He poured the wine in paper cups and he drank it in one shot.

 

“CALM DOWN! DON’T PUSH YOURSELF TOO HARD!” you shouted in worry.

 

“OH MY GOODNESS THIS WINE IS STRONG!” he shouted in shock.

 

“That’s the strongest wine in the shop” you poured the wine for yourself. You twirl your cup and smell the aromatic wine and slowly taking a sip until the wine brushes your lip. But then Minseok tapped the end of the paper cup and cause you to gulp the wine in one shot.

 

“ MINSEOK! I ALMOST DIED!” you punched him and he laughed, he poured the wine in your cup and told you he won’t do it again. You can feel that you are losing the control of your body and you saw the both of you almost drink the whole bottle. He cannot slightly open his eyes due of drunkenness. You too. But he keeps drinking and keep offering you more wine, you keep receiving it. His body is getting closer to yours and your body keep getting closer to his. He holds your waist and you cupped his face with your hands.

 

“We should stop drinking, we are drunk,” you laughed drunkenly and your face keeps getting closer to his. “Why the heck is your face so ing adorable? You are ing perfect!” you said while petting his hair, he tightly squished your waist close to him even more.

 

“Don’t talk!” He pecked you on your forehead and you pecked him on his cheeks as an exchange. The both of you were not in your own self. Minseok is drunk. You are drunk. The both of you are drunk. The wine is controlling every movement of your body. He pecked your eyelids, your nose, and finally down on your lips. He kissed you deeply, deeply enough to give your all to him tonight.

 

***

 

Minseok woke up beside you and he immediately wakes you up. Once you open your eyes, you felt that you don’t have any clothes on your body. You shouted internally.

 

“What the happened? Why are we like this?” he asked you in confusion. You cannot answer because you don’t know the answer as well.

 

“Did we just--” your eyes got bigger than a golf ball. “What the did you do to me?”

 

“?” he said.

 

“MINSEOK!”

 

“I DON’T KNOW! I DON’T KNOW ANYTHING! WHY ARE WE LIKE THIS?” Minseok is having a mental breakdown because he can remember nothing at all. Same as you. He left you in the room to see what happened in the living room. He saw the mess you both did last night. He saw the wine. He grabbed the wine and brings it back to the room.

 

“I think we should blame this wine.”

 

All what happened last night hit you like a truck. You remembered the things you have done. You cannot believe that you did those things.

 

“How should I tell my parents this? THIS CANNOT HAPPEN! I’M DOOMED!”

 

Then hangover strikes. Headaches are all over the place. He is not okay. You are not okay.

 

“I think I need to get back in my room” he said.

 

He cannot believe what he had done. He blamed himself from drinking the wine. He realized that he shouldn’t have been insisted to drink it in the first place. He is sorry for you. The headache is too painful to bear. He needs some relief. He took a shower and get ready to go back to your room. He went to your room.

 

“Pack up. Let’s go to my resort and get rid this hangover there.”

 

You only nodded your head in response because you are too embarrassed to face him. You packed up everything. You felt weird why the heck you are not getting angry to him or regretting what happened. He knocked on your door to let you know you’re going now.

 

“We’re gonna take a cab. We’re only 10 minutes away from here.”

 

Again. You only nodded your head in response.

 

After waiting for the cab, the cab finally arrived. You are trying to act as everything is normal. But you can’t. You cannot even say a word. He helped you put your luggage in the trunk. You felt weird why he’s kind of gentle to you now. You left him arranging the luggage and went inside the cab. He followed you afterwards.

 

“Sorry” he said in deep serious voice.

 

“Uhhmmm… why?”

 

“The thing—I really don’t know. I’m so sorry.”

 

“I’m sorry too. I don’t know either” you smiled to let him know that it’s okay even though it’s still bothering you. “We are stupid. Aren’t we?” you said jokingly. The whole time the both of you were quiet. You didn’t even exchange a glance to him. He locked his gazed on the window.

 

“We are here” the driver said and you grab your wallet to pay.

 

“Put that away, I’ll pay.”

 

His actions make you uncomfortable. Because if he is in his normal condition, he will let you pay. But why now, he didn’t let you pay. He is just weird to you.

 

He walked around in the resort and you followed him. It was uncomfortable for him to walk beside you. You want to stay away from him as far as possible. He is trying to talk to you but he doesn’t have enough courage to do so. You can see him in the side of your eye wanting to say something but stopping everytime he open his mouth.

 

“Where are your parents?” you asked to break the awkwardness.

 

“Actually I don’t know. I’m looking for them” he gulped.

 

“Why don’t you just call them?”

 

“Oh yeah! I’m stupid. I didn’t think about that.”

 

You can see that he is embarrassed to look at you when you talked to him. He is acting weird all along. He is not Minseok. He is the weird Minseok. Another side of Minseok.

 

You still followed him and try to search for his parents. But in all days you are here, why did this happen? Why now? Wrong timing? I guess? He stopped walking.

 

“What’s wrong?” you asked in curiosity.

 

“My ex.”

 

“Your ex what?”

 

“Right there” he points to her with no other words and he doesn’t know what to do. If they meet, this will be the first time they will see each other again after the break up. He tried to avoid her and went the other way. But, he is too late with his actions. She already saw him. She was running fast enough to catch his walk. She was weeping and grabbed Minseok who is trying to walk away.

 

“Minseok, why?”

 

“Sorry” he said while he holds onto her hand to let him go.

 

“Why did you leave me? Why did you let me go? I thought we are the example of forever? What happened? I don’t understand. I need your explanations” she cried while punching Minseok’s chest.

 

You are left with no words. You don’t know how to react in this situation. Actually, you liked witnessing these kinds of stuffs. Just like the drama you’re watching. Too many thrills, such a great plot twist.

 

“Why are you here?”

 

“It’s not important anymore! Answer my questions. I cannot live properly after you called me. I don’t know. You left me hanging. You made me believe in those promises you said.”

 

Minseok grabbed your hand and interlocked with his. She was in shock. Her tears fell and felt betrayed. You are shocked too. You are confused. You don’t know why he’s doing this. Too much thought are circling around your head to the point it’s too much to construct a word.

 

“I’m sorry.” A single tear fell. “But we are getting married.”

 

She was left speechless. She went to her knees because she is weak to handle this. She loses her energy on her feet. Minseok tried to pick her up but she insisted. She slapped him and run away to mend her broken heart.

 

Minseok was crying. He was punching his head.

 

“Minseok, you are stupid. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! You are a piece of !” he blamed himself.

 

“Stop!” You hold his hands to stop him from hurting himself. “Don’t cry. It will be okay. You’ll be fine. You’ll move on eventually. You are Minseok. You can overcome this,” you comforted. He hugged you, a hug of asking for comfort. You walked him beside the bench to let him calm down. He asked you to grab him some water. You went and grabbed some water. When you get back, he is not crying anymore. He tried to stay composed.

 

“Are you okay now?” you asked him.

 

“Whatever happened earlier, forget about it,” Minseok replied.

 

“I’ll pretend not to know it.”

 

“I didn’t say pretend. I said forget.”

 

“Sure, I won’t pretend, I’ll forget,” you took back what you have said.

 

“But don’t forget everything.”

 

“What do you want me to remember?”

 

“The thing…” he sighed. “The marriage.”

 

“The marriage? Please, that needs to be forgotten. I know you don’t mean it. I know. I understand your situation. You just said that to stay away from your ex. It’s okay.”

 

“But I did mean it.” He held your hands and looked you in the eye. “I really mean it.”

 

“Are you doing this because of what happened last night?” you asked him but he didn’t answer. Silence means yes. “Minseok, it’s okay. You don’t need to worry about me. You don’t need to do this. We don’t need to do this. You’ll just hurt yourself.”

 

“We need to do this; I stole something important to you.”

 

“I don’t love you, you don’t love me. I don’t think this will work out.”

 

“But we can learn to love each other. Maybe this can work out.”

 

“But--”

 

“No more buts. What if you got pregnant?”

 

“But we just did it once. I won’t get pregnant.”

 

“But still, I stole your ity.”

 

“But--”

 

“Let’s do the marriage.”

 

With no words, he holds your wrist and dragged you to seek for his parents. While walking, he saw one of his parent’s assistant and asked where they are. They’re in the V.V.I.P. balcony. Both of you immediately went there.

 

“Mom, Dad. I’m agreeing to marry her. Let’s do the arranged marriage.”

 

His parents look shocked but happy at the same time. They didn’t ask why he decided to marry you, they just congratulated the both of you.

 

“My future-daughter-in-law.” Mrs. Kim hugged you and felt really happy.

 

“Actually, I’m just here to drop by to say hi but all of this happened. It was so sudden.”

 

“We need to go to her hometown. We need to ask for her hand to marry Minseok.” Mr. Kim said to Mrs. Kim in wide smile in teary eyed.

 

“She’s leaving tonight,” Minseok said.

 

“Then, let’s go with her tonight.”

 

His father ordered him to pack his things and get ready to leave tonight. He nodded and he excused the both of you. He interlocked his hands with yours and walked. Every second felt like a decade. He brought you in his piano room.

 

“I don’t know if I’m doing the right decision but--” he stopped and sat on the front of the piano. You are looking at him, not knowing what to do and just go with the flow. “I think every girl needs a proper wedding proposal. This proposal may not be what you dreamed of but--” he started playing your favourite song and sang it just for you. It was not a song of happiness, it was a sad song but it was your favourite. Even though the song is not suitable in the situation, you liked it. You cried and wanted to scream at the same because you can’t believe that this is happening in your life. You’re there, standing still. He got up and went in front of you and bends down,

 

Without a ring. Without other witness.

 

 “Will you do the marriage with me? Even if it’s arranged?”

 

“Let’s try.”

 

He cupped your face and promised he will take care of you.

 

“I will learn how to love you. I will learn how to forgive you. I will learn how to comfort you. I will learn how to live with you. I will learn everything about you. Just give me enough time,” he said with a sincere heart.

 

“I will promise that I will do that too.” You hugged him.

 

From now on, you will not be alone in your life. You will be with Minseok from now on. You’ll be now Mrs. Kim Minseok. You’ll be his. You’ll be his wife. But you still don’t know how to live with someone you don’t love. You still don’t know how to face the future with him.

 

***

 

You asked your parents not to pick you up in the airport because Minseok’s parents asked you to do so. They wanted to surprise your parents with their appearance.

 

Minseok rang the doorbell. Your dad opened the door and almost had a mental breakdown when he saw everyone. He immediately asked why they are there and Mr. Kim explained what happened. Your dad welcomed them warmly and led them to the living room to rest. After 5 minutes your mom got home from a friend’s house. She welcomed the guest but asked why her colleagues are here. Mrs. Kim explained. Your mom cried because her only daughter will be a married woman.

 

“Actually we are here to ask for your daughter’s hand. We need your approval to let these two get married.”

 

“We already talked about this, right?”

 

“But we still need to do this formally.”

 

Your mom asked you to prepare the table. Minseok followed you in the kitchen.

 

“Why are you here again?”

 

“I want to see if you can be a good wife or not.”

 

“CAN YOU NOT? PLEASE! OH MY GOODNESS! I HAVE ENOUGH OF YOU TODAY.”

 

“I think we’re really doing the marriage.”

 

“Here.” You gave him the plates to bring to the dining table. You followed him after you got the spoons and forks.

 

Both of your parents are talking about how the marriage would look like and how will it go over dinner. They decided to do the wedding as soon as possible. His parents offered their resort to be the wedding venue and cater for the food. Your parents decided to be the ones who’ll be responsible for the suit and wedding dress.

 

The day after, your parents decided to go to the resort with Minseok’s parents to prepare for the wedding. It only took 2 weeks of preparation for the wedding.

 

You and Minseok didn’t really talk much in the past two weeks because you know that after the wedding you’ll be together forever.

 

***

 

“Will you take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband?”

 

“Yes, I do.”

 

“Will you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?”

 

“I do.”

 

The wedding is not elegant but it was memorable.

 

***

 

This is the official first night spending night with Minseok. He wanted to know you better. He asked you bunch of questions regarding you. Same as you. You asked him questions. Spending time together until midnight and facing tomorrow as husband and wife.

 

You thought that the conversation will let you to be comfortable to each other but it didn’t happen as you thought it would be. He became awkward as tomorrow comes. You became shy all of the sudden.

 

“Minseok, what do you want to eat?”

 

“Whatever. I don’t know.”

 

You cooked bacon and egg. You prepared the table and called him afterwards. He is playing the piano when you called him.

 

“I didn’t know you play piano first thing in the morning.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Oh. Okay. Uhm, let’s eat.”

 

You can feel that he’s became awkward. You are trying to start a conversation with him but his respond is not enough to carry on. He ate silently and not making any noise or an eye contact with you. You are eating awkwardly and every bite of the bacon is like eating a blade. The silence is deafening. The day went normally. You did what you normally do and he did whatever he wants. Not much conversation.

 

You want to address yourself as Minseok’s wife and show the world that you’re a married woman but you can’t feel that you are someone’s wife. You still feel like you’re alone. You are sulking inside because he doesn’t even try to talk to you. You don’t love him but you want to learn how to love him. But the problem is how to start.

 

Your parents went back to your hometown and you are left with your husband. Your new house is located close to the resort. Sadness is all over you because you’re all alone. Your parents are gone. Minseok noticed something is weird about you, he can feel the atmosphere is dull.

 

“If I play the piano, will you cheer up?” He looked at you and smiled. Your tears flow on its own and answer with a smile. You are about to seat on the chair across the piano but he asked you if you can seat beside him.

 

“What can I play to make my wife happy?”

 

You normally wouldn’t have enough courage to kiss him, but you did. Because in the word “wife”.

 

“I want…” you scratch your chin, “uhmm… you wouldn’t ans--” He started playing the piano without him hearing the whole sentence. He played the piano with the familiar tune.

 

“I knew it! You really love that song?”

 

You only nodded as a response. The song comes to an end.

 

 “Remember? I promised I will comfort you? I think I already did.”

 

“Yes. You did. Thank you. Kinda happy now.”

 

“Are you ready to be my wife from now on?”

 

“Uhm, are you ready to be my husband from now on?”

 

The truth is you are both ready to be husband and wife but the problem is the both of you are still not ready to face the future together.

 

***

 

Third day of being married, but still no making love happening, part two. Well it’s okay because you still don’t love him. He doesn’t even try to say goodnight before going to sleep. You didn’t either.

 

“What will happen to your work?” Minseok asked

 

“Well I still haven’t written a resignation letter and I don’t think I can give up that.”

 

“So are you leaving me when classes starting?”

 

“No.”

 

“What are your plans now?”

 

“Don’t ask me that because I still don’t know the answer.”

 

***

 

You woke up without Minseok beside you. You called him but no answer.

 

“Well I guess I’ll spend my morning by myself then,” you said pouting to yourself.

 

You are deciding what to do until he’s still not at home. All of a sudden, the urge of playing the piano is in you. You tried to play a piece you know but you barely remember the piece. You kept on repeating the first part but you’re still struggling to remember what’s next. Out of frustration, you banged the piano really hard.

 

“Thank you for demonstrating the first rule of playing the piano by Kim Minseok.” He is leaning at the door and mockingly clapping. He walked towards you and sat beside you. “My first rule is, you shouldn’t bang the piano. You know why? Piano is my baby. You shouldn’t bang my baby.” You are left speechless and apologize. “I think you’re struggling.”

 

“Yeah. I cannot remember the piece.”

 

“Next time, if you don’t remember, call me. Call the greatest pianist in the world. Call Kim Minseok. That’s why I’m your husband, I’m here for you.” He started playing the piece you’re struggling with. You don’t know how to react because he’s kinda praising himself and it’s cheesy at the same time. After you saw him playing it, you remember the piece.

 

“Move your hands, let me try playing it.” You asked him kindly and he sat there watching every move of your fingers waiting for you to make some mistakes. Sadly, you made a mistake and shattered your concentration. “My goodness! What did I do wrong?”

 

Minseok softly placed his fingers on the top of yours and placed the fingers that need to be in the proper chords. It was quiet and romantic. Nice way to start your day.

 

Slowly getting used living together and he is slowly getting attached to you.

 

***

 

Minseok asked you to have dinner outside. We can call it the official first date probably. He told you it would be a formal date. You get dressed up and put some make-up on. Minseok sat on the sofa while waiting for you.

 

“Hurry up! We will be late!” He shouted to let you hurry up.

 

“Yes! Yes! I’ll be there” you are hurrying to the living room “I’m here!”

 

Minseok didn’t say a word. His face is in awe. He is in awe because of you. You are stunning. He stood up, “Let’s go, we’ll be late.” He intertwined his hand with yours. 

 

The place is not unfamiliar. The date is in his parent’s resort. The dinner was not simple, it was elegant. The place is romantic, lights dimmed with sweet sound of violin playing.

 

After the dinner, he asked you to go with him. He brought you in the garden.

 

“Remember?”

 

“What?”

 

“This garden has lot of memories of us.”

 

“How come?”

 

“This is where our story began. Remember? When you took your vacation here? If I didn’t bring you here, probably there would be no “us” now. If I didn’t get you out there before, there would be no “us”. This is where you asked me to do the competition. Remember? If not in the competition, all of this won’t happen.”

 

“Yeah. I get it but why are you saying all of this stuff so sudden?” you asked in curiosity and it was weird.

 

“Because I want you to remember our beginning. Because I want to start to spend our forever. I love you.” Minseok have gathered enough courage to confess his love for you. “I said ‘I love you’ but don’t say ‘I love you too’ back unless you mean it. I’ll wait for that time. I can wait. I’m filling up my promises. First, I comforted you and I will always will. Second, I learned to love you and I will always forever.”

 

***

 

He woke up aggressively that caused you to wake up as well. He suddenly remembers that he needs to go to the school to do some paper works. The school will start soon.

 

“I’ll be home by 5pm, wait for me!”

 

“Yes, I will.”

 

Already past five o’clock in the afternoon, yet Minseok is still not at home. Seconds has passed. Minutes has passed. Hours have passed. Yet he’s still not at home. No call from him. You tried to call him but no answer. You are tremendously worried about him. You are almost about to cry.

 

You felt a motion outside the door. It was Minseok.

 

“I’m home. How’s the day of my lovely wife?”

 

You didn’t answer him. You are sulking. He is confused because he doesn’t know why you’re like that.

 

“Did I do something wrong?”

 

Still no response from you.

 

“Hey!” He is wiggling your sleeve to let you notice him. “What’s wrong?”

 

You bursted in tears. “What’s wrong? Tell me!” He is very concerned.

 

“You told me you’ll be home by five but what time is it?”

 

“Too much paperwork. Sorry, my phone is in my bag. Too busy at work.”

 

You cried even more. “Stop crying, I’m here already. Why are you crying?”

 

“You didn’t even try to call me.”

 

“Sorry. I won’t do it again. Next time, I’ll text or call you if I’m going home late. Sorry. Forgive me?” He hugged you tightly and apologizes again. You hugged him back too and sob on his shoulder. “Why are you still crying? Stop crying.”

 

“I’m really worried about you. I don’t know but I’m worried. I’m worried to death. I’m worried.”

 

“Are you sure you’re only worried?”

 

“I’m worried. I’m worried because--” you stopped and cupped Minseok’s face with your warm hands.

 

“Because what?” he said with a smile

 

“I’m worried because I love you.”

 

“Did you learn to love me?”

 

“Yes. I learned to love you.”

 

“I love you too.”

 

At this point, you are ready to face the future with Minseok. Minseok is ready to face the future with you as well. You decided to give your all to him; this marriage is not only in papers but also in your heart.

 

***

 

Strolling in the park and getting to know each other more. Asking whether you like this or not, whether you love this or not. Those kinds of questions. Holding your hands with his. Spending every moment with each other, thinking tomorrow will not come.

 

“Who will make me this happy if I never met you?”

 

“No one will make you happy this way if you never met me.”

 

“Remember the song we made for the competition?”

 

“I can’t let you go even if I die?”

 

He turned your face to his so you can see his face.

 

“I can’t let you go even if I die.” He kissed you on the kiss deeply and astonishingly. No words can express what you felt. Not giving a care to the people who can see your affection towards each other. “I thought you will stay in my life temporarily but I didn’t know that you will stay permanently. Are you the time signature of my life? Because I will always need to see you first everytime I play a piece. I need to see you every morning to start my day.”

 

It’s true that you cannot live without each other anymore. Both of you have grown attached to each other. He learned to love you. You learned to love him.

 

***

 

It’s not official start of school yet but Minseok need to do some paper works again.

 

“I need to go now. I’ll be back.”

 

“What time?”

 

“I’m not answering that question. So you won’t get worried.” Minseok hugged you firmly until you can’t breathe anymore. It was long and warm. He kissed you passionately like he will not meet you again that kind of kiss.

 

You waited for him like always. Noon has passed. Afternoon has passed. The sky has turned dark. The doorbell rang. You opened it. It was Minseok’s mom, she was weeping. You helped her carry her weak body inside the house.

 

“Mom, what’s wrong?”

 

“Minseok” Mrs. Kim was holding both of your hands while still crying

 

“What about Minseok?” You are almost crying

 

“Minseok… Minseok…” Mrs. Kim was on the floor crying

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Minseok is gone.”

 

Your tears start flowing on its own. You cannot help it. Even if you want to stay strong, you can’t. Your heart was crushed like a vase thrown on the ground. Your world fell apart. Your forever was paused.

 

Minseok disappeared like a dandelion blew in a windy day.

 

“Why? When?” you lost your energy on your feet, you become weak.

 

“His heart didn’t respond anymore. Heart failure. He went to the resort after his work and he just can’t breathe and we went to the hospital.” Mrs. Kim comforted you as you comforted her. “I went here to say that. I don’t know how to live without my son. Let’s go. Let’s go to the hospital.”

 

“I don’t think I can. I cannot see him.” You bend down and cried.

 

“You need to. You need to be strong. We need to stay strong. Minseok wants us to be strong for him.” Mrs. Kim said as she hugging you on the floor because you are crying. You kept on crying and all the memories you spend with Minseok kept appearing in your head. “I need to go to the hospital and take care of his funeral. Follow me there if you can.” Mrs. Kim bid a goodbye and left you in sorrow.

 

You sat in the front of the piano. A tear fell. “I thought you are the start of my forever but it turns out that you are the end of forever. Why did you left me? I think our “till death do us part” is over, you have left me. You left me by myself. You left me hanging. You left me again.” You said while looking at the picture of you and Minseok on the top of the piano. “Is it that’s why you hugged me so tight and kissed me so passionately because that was the last one? You’re unfair!”

 

***

 

Your parents are here until the funeral ended and went back home. Today is the day when you will start living alone again. Not as someone’s wife but as single person.

 

You asked your parents to leave you for a second because you wanted to be alone. But then Mr. Kim insisted to talk to you. Only the two of you are in the house.

 

“I don’t know if you still need or want to know this but I want to tell you this.” Mr. Kim sighed. “Minseok. Remember the time when your family went to our resort? The first time you met Minseok and us. Minseok almost died that day too.”

 

“What?”

 

“Minseok had a heart attack that day too. That’s why we weren’t able to say goodbye. He is in the hospital and fortunately his heart recovered but now; I don’t know why his heart didn’t respond at all. At first, he doesn’t want to get married. Do you know why? Because he knows that he can die anytime and he doesn’t want to leave her wife. He doesn’t want her wife to get hurt.” Mr. Kim cried as he telling the story. You patted his back and your tear fell on its own. Mr. Kim hugged you and told you that all will be okay and they will set you free. He left.

 

Memories with Minseok are attacking you right now. You are losing in this emotion. You are unable to get back and move on. The piano, your room, the competition, the wine, the kisses and the hugs you shared. All the memories are so vivid on your mind.

 

“I learned to love you.”

“I learned to forgive you.”

“I learned to comfort you.”

“I learned to live with you.”

“I learned everything about you.”

 

 

 

 

You learned how to love him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

You learned how to forgive him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

You learned how to comfort him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

You learned how to live with him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

You learned everything about him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

But…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

You didn’t learn how to live without him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 


Thank you for reading! Leave me a comment. Let me know what you think!


I revised this story. Check it out! http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/885790/da-capo-al-fine-you-xiumin-minseok


Twitter: https://twitter.com/steaminseok